The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What player / position does your team need for next season

+13
yappysnap
Feckless Rogue
bedfordwelsh
formerly known as Sam
Bathite
munkian
geoff998rugby
Portnoy's Complaint
SirBurger
Ozzy3213
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
beshocked
Geordie
17 posters

Go down

What player / position does your team need for next season Empty What player / position does your team need for next season

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

We're getting close to the business end of the season...and for many out of that they can be looking at new aquisitions / strengthening the team.

What position or players would you say are essential for your team...who would you like to see brought in?

For the falcons, we have a decent pack, and a raft of very good quality youngsters coming through.

Personally i would like to see two posititions fixed.

10 - Clegg has his moments...Hodgson is still developing...and Godman is...God Awful.

6 - Id love to see a real rampaging beast of a 6 come in. We had Tuafua but he didnt really perform like he does for Samoa. Id like someone like him brought in..(not as big a penalty machine would be nice aswell) who can carry and really make destructive carries.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

What player / position does your team need for next season Empty Re: What player / position does your team need for next season

Post by beshocked Wed 19 Mar 2014, 11:44 am

At Saracens

3. With Stevens leaving there is a much needed necessity for a tighthead prop to compete with Johnston. This is number one priority.

4/5. Not necessarily essential but with Borthwick retiring and Eion Sherriff rumour to leave, another option is being looked at. Certainly when you hear we've been linked to Launchbury for example.

A powerful enforcer lock would be an ideal addition.

It also depends how Itoje develops in the academy because he's looking like a great prospect in the Courtney Lawes mould.

9. Our 9s at the moment are De Kock (35), Wigglesworth (30), Spencer (21). De Kock would be expected to retire this season or the next one. An option will definitely be looked at here.

Perhaps a 9 who is a bit more pacy plus gives quickball, Sarries aren't the quickest backline. Farrell has benefitted from a pacy, dynamic 9 for England. Want to see the same for Sarries.

The options at 9 for Sarries at the moment offer structure but need to show more dynamism.

The three areas I would strengthen.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

What player / position does your team need for next season Empty Re: What player / position does your team need for next season

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 19 Mar 2014, 11:52 am

I believe that we're looking for a tighthead, a lock, and a centre/utility back type

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:01 pm

Lock and outside half at Irish. Desperate need for both.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:05 pm

Exactly. Rouse and Skivs are the most underrated lock partnership in the Prem in my book, but if one of them gets injured we are in a right mess. Plus, Rouse will be 34 next season and I worry that his lack of athleticism may render him less effective as the years catch up with him. A third option of comparable standard would be great in case one of them is out.

A fly half to take us up a gear would also be great as would a 15 to challenge Homer who has been out injured for a long time now and whose running game looked a bit sub-par last season (albeit very good the year before). Lewington looks more like a winger to me - his defence and kicking game don't quite do it for me (yet - admittedly he has time on his side to improve in these areas).

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

My guess would be that if we get a 10 who is an 80% kicker, then the first choice back 3 will be 15. Ojo 14. Short 11. Lewington. There is also still talk of Michael Keating from Rotherham, who covers full back and wing.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 19 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

A six million dollar man from the pound shop plus a carer for Cockers.

Scottish proverb wrote:If wishes were horses, beggars would ride
If turnips were swords, i'd wear one by my side
If ifs and ands were pots and pans,
there'd be no need for tinkers' hands.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed 19 Mar 2014, 1:36 pm

At Ulster a TH please

Other than that I believe we are all set for next year

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 19 Mar 2014, 3:46 pm

Dragons

A big nasty lock

A new front row
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 19 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm

Not really sure as yet, with the following already confirmed

Perenise out -> replaced by Henry Thomas
Beech out -> replaced by Nick Auterac
Bendy out -> ?
Koster out -> Sisi should step up here next season
Biggs out -> Enough cover with Roko, Agulla, Banahan, Watson, JJ, Burgess? Good talent in academy with Woodburn and Lane as wel
Burgess in -> ? Is he a 12 or a 6?

The most obvious area for us is at 15, with Bendy off, we are lacking any out and out fullbacks. Watson, Henson (if stays), Agulla, Joseph, Devoto can all cover, but shouldn't be first choice.

Perhaps another lock option, but that depends on whether Burgess plays 6 and if Garvey moves.

Can't see much of a shake up this season, Burgess is obviously the big one. If Heathcote does leave, that leaves a big gap at 10, especially with Ford going to be away more now.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Mar 2014, 8:12 pm

A big number 8, the kind that will run through a brick wall and then offload. A real animal.

Other than we are pretty well set, hopefully keep Goneva and Bowden but if not we have Camacho and Pohe to come in and also Bai is rumoured to be a squad signing.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 19 Mar 2014, 9:33 pm

Dragons:

Props props props oh and some props please- good ones for a change.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 19 Mar 2014, 9:58 pm

Leinster are losing O'Driscoll. And recently lost O'Malley, the one who was going to replace him. We're also light on wingers. D'arcy almost done too. We'll need quite a few backs actually.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 19 Mar 2014, 10:04 pm

Bedford, you've got Stankovitch coming your way and he's definitely a scrummaging prop.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 20 Mar 2014, 7:01 am

beshocked wrote:At Saracens

3. With Stevens leaving there is a much needed necessity for a tighthead prop to compete with Johnston. This is number one priority.

9. Our 9s at the moment are De Kock (35), Wigglesworth (30), Spencer (21). De Kock would be expected to retire this season or the next one. An option will definitely be looked at here.

Beshocked won't James Johnston step up to take over Stevens role?

And don't you have another academy prospect to fill in behind Wiggs and Spencer?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 20 Mar 2014, 7:10 am

For Quins:
Big nasty lock. Kennedy has been fairly anonymous so far and I just can't see him working well alongside Robson. Matthews is a good prospect but still very raw and not that aggressive around the pitch. We need a big bruiser who'll just do the basics to a high standard.

Other priority is keeping Molenaar as he's been a fulcrum in the backline for the youngsters to play off (when fit).

Then as long as we don't have too many injuries the other positions are pretty well covered by the academy lads.

Oh and I will happily give Paul Doran-Jones to any one that wants him!! Dragons?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Thu 20 Mar 2014, 9:20 am

yappysnap wrote:
beshocked wrote:At Saracens

Beshocked won't James Johnston step up to take over Stevens role?

And don't you have another academy prospect to fill in behind Wiggs and Spencer?

Johnston will move to first choice yes but we don't have any other experienced options. It's not an area we can cover sufficiently at the moment. Though there is a potential exciting young American who we signed up for our academy in November - Titi Lamositele. Just 18.

I don't know of any other academy 9s that could fill in. One of our academy 9s has gone to Bristol - Luke Baldwin.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:05 am

Bathite

Would Watson not make that 15 spot his own next season?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:10 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I believe that we're looking for a tighthead, a lock, and a centre/utility back type

Chief

Well you got Moray "the accordian" Lowe. Good deal!  laughing 

Well if rumours are true Edinburgh need a lot. We have lost Cross and Laidlaw. We look poised to lose Ford, Rennie and De Luca so I guess we are in the market for a lot of players.

Losing Rennie is a particular blow.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I believe that we're looking for a tighthead, a lock, and a centre/utility back type

Chief

Well you got Moray "the accordian" Lowe. Good deal!  laughing 

Well if rumours are true Edinburgh need a lot. We have lost Cross and Laidlaw. We look poised to lose Ford, Rennie and De Luca so I guess we are in the market for a lot of players.

Losing Rennie is a particular blow.

Hmm, I actually think he'll be ok for us, but as we're losing both Hoani 'Ligind' Tui and Craig Mitchell, we're still in the market for another one - Dr Cross would do nicely actually!!

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:27 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Bathite

Would Watson not make that 15 spot his own next season?

You would hope so, but he has been playing a lot at wing. He's our only bloke who plays 15 quite regularly, so even if he doesn't play wing at all next year, we still need another option I reckon. He's still very raw though.

Chat from Ford was that the players that we want at 9 and 15 won't be available after season after next. Promising, as it seems like they are looking to spend some big bucks on players post WC, but I guess it is a risk for next year. Some chat about getting Pennell on loan for a year when Worcs get relegated.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:07 am

Scarlets - big ball-carrying No. 8.

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 11:51 am

Some chat about getting Pennell on loan for a year when Worcs get relegated

When??!!  Erm What player / position does your team need for next season 1347041234 

You ready for the backlash Bathite  Wink 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:32 pm

Yet to see a Worcester fan on here! 0 wins from 16 and probably need to win at least 3 out of last 6 to stay up. When, not if.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:38 pm

Based upon Glaws' performance this year we need a new 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15! Wink

More seriously there is obviously the well publicised acquisitions of Hibbard, Afoa and Laidlaw which plug our most immediate gaps. There are a number of people reportedly joining us as squad players to cover the backrow, FH, centres and full back. But we do still have a pressing need for a big lock. Whilst the rumours of Hamilton re-joining Glaws are as strong as ever, some publications are suggesting we're out of the running for him and have turned our sites on Dan Leo...
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:39 pm

You missed out 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:48 pm

Bathite wrote:You missed out 16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23

Evolution not revolution, we can't change too many in one go!
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Thu 20 Mar 2014, 12:57 pm

To be fair, with Robson/Laidlaw at 9/10 will be a cracking partnership and with the first choice front row, I think you've got a great shot at top 8 next year

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 20 Mar 2014, 3:50 pm

Laidlaw was crap during the 6N's, sorry HKC but I can't see him being anything other then an over priced waist of space for you boys either.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Mar 2014, 5:16 pm

Laidlaw played 9 didn't he? When I've seen him play his best It's at 10 where he is more likely to feature for Glaws. I think he could be a good acquisition as long as his backrow give him some protection from the big lumps bound to be sent down his channel.

I've heard the Pennel loan rumours as well Geordie. I've also heard the extended AP rumours if there's no HEC next year as well...

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 20 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

Perhaps Sam, but to me Glos have a huge amount of flair on the wings, in the centre and at 9. What they need is a powerful pack to win them front foot ball and a solid decision maker and goal kicker at 10. I don't think Laidlaw is that, and seeing as he's probably going to be playing on the backfoot most games that means he needs to be twice as good, which he won't be.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 20 Mar 2014, 5:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Bedford, you've got Stankovitch coming your way and he's definitely a scrummaging prop.

Can't happen soon enough.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu 20 Mar 2014, 8:34 pm

yappysnap wrote:Laidlaw was crap during the 6N's, sorry HKC but I can't see him being anything other then an over priced waist of space for you boys either.

So what you're saying is that we will improve next season  Very Happy 
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 20 Mar 2014, 8:53 pm

Yappy, not sure they'll on the back foot so much next season when Afoa, Hibbard and Hamilton all come into their tight five.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 20 Mar 2014, 8:59 pm

And that should give Kvesic and Morgan more chance to show more for their club.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Thu 20 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm

tight head prop and a second row

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down