The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hall of Fame - round 2

+8
mystiroakey
compelling and rich
Brys
kwinigolfer
TopHat24/7
Stella
Rowley
Adam D
12 posters

Go down

Vote for your favourite 2

Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_lcap45%Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_rcap 45% 
[ 23 ]
Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_lcap25%Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 13 ]
Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_lcap8%Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 4 ]
Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_lcap22%Hall of Fame - round 2 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 11 ]

Total Votes : 51

Hall of Fame - round 2 Empty Hall of Fame - round 2

Post by Adam D Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:35 am

The first round of the Hall of Fame is still ongoing and can be found here -

https://www.606v2.com/t52811-hall-of-fame-round-1

Second place is still very much up for grabs. The poll will continue to run until Monday so make sure to vote.

However, round 2 is now underway too.

And in this round, two of the films have been championed by MtotheC and Rowley respectively. There brief reasons of why they should proceed are below - feel free to submit on here reasons for the other films to beat them!

This rounds nominations are:

The Hustler
Ali
Bring it on
Days of Thunder

Days of Thunder

Critics of the 1990 stock car film Days of Thunder are quick to point out the obvious formula that the picture follows, a formula with certain key elements that previously successful Tom Cruise movies deployed but let's take our pretentious critic hats off and be honest, it's a formula that delivers entertaining movies.

Yes DOT follows what I like to call the 'the cruise credentials'... They include: of course the Cruise character, the young, good looking, naturally talented kid who could be the best if only he could tame his wild temperament, please see Top Gun, Cocktail and the Colour of Money. Then there's the craft that the Cruise character must master be it piloting, shooting pool, drink making or indeed stock car racing, he has the ability to be the best but must first over come his spirited rival. Through the love of a good woman and a tough life lessons Cruise eventually wins the day and our hearts!

With all the cruise credentials ticked DOT goes onto deliver a fast paced story of personal growth, Cole Trickle (Cruise) must realise his flaws as a driver and alas a human being, accept he is not infallible and muster the courage to overcome his personal demons. (sound familiar  

Co starting Robert Duvall as the old timer mentor (another cruise credential), Randy Quaid, Nicole Kidman as the love interest who helps Cole get back on his feet (and off them again) after a major racing crash. Cary Elwes and also Michael Rooker (from the walking dead) as the rival turned best friend (not the most healthy position for any character in a cruise film, oh yeah that's another cruise credential...best friend dies which helps your personal growth).

DOT may be Top Gun in cars but it brings motor sport to life in a way no other film had done so before it, visually director Tony Scott delivers in abundance as the adrenaline filled race scenes and high octane crashes sprinkled with a rock and roll soundtrack literally makes you want to play air guitar as you watch. If you love NASCAR then DOT will be the best movie you ever see!

The Hustler

The Hustler tells the story of pool hall hustler Fast Eddie Felson and his desire to take on pool hall legend and the man generally accepted as King of the Hustlers Minnesota Fats, played by the brilliant Jackie Gleason. Felson is played by the brilliant Paul Newman and in my humble (but very much right) opinion he has never been better.

The film opens with Felson challenging Minnesota Fats, money is wagered but the game is about so much more than that for Felson, it is an opportunity to call himself the best. Despite pushing Fats all the way Felson eventually loses. Whilst he may lose the game his performance is enough to bring him to the attention of Bert Gordon, played by the always excellent George C Scott. Gordon is many things to Felson, manager, advisor and general devil on his shoulder type and they set out on the road with Gordon advising Felson how to best make money from his prodigious pool talent.

In theory the combination of Gordon’s brains and Felson’s talent should be a winning combination but Felson is tortured by his loss to Fats and through his difficult relationship to girlfriend Sarah, and whilst Gordon is a brilliant hustler compassion is not exactly his strong suit. Through the film and Gordon’s tough love Felson begins to mature, all building up to the point where he is ready to take another run at Minnesota Fats.

The film gives a brilliant portrayal of the American Hinterland of smoky pool halls and deserted train stations, of people living on the underbelly of the American Dream. The performances are uniformly excellent all round, Newman was robbed of the Oscar he surely deserved (the one for the far inferior Colour Of Money suggests the Academy agree with me) and the pool scenes are realistic and believable, which is not always something one can say about sports films.

Remember you can vote for two films if you like - the top two will go through to the next round.

Last edited by Adam D on Mon 31 Mar 2014, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Hall of Fame - round 2 Empty Re: Hall of Fame - round 2

Post by Rowley Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:47 am

Only the Hustler worthy of a vote here, brilliant film, probably Newman's finest hour and a fantastic write up as well.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Wed 26 Mar 2014, 9:53 am

I've only seen Days of Thunder. So, that and The Hustler, on reputation.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 26 Mar 2014, 10:23 am

Voted for the only two I've seen - Ali and DoT.

Will Smith got an Oscar nomination for Ali.......!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Mar 2014, 2:46 pm

Great write-ups Adam, Agree 99% with everything you say about The Hustler - fabulous film. (Altho' I'd say PN is equally good in Hombre.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed 26 Mar 2014, 3:14 pm

I cant take credit unfortunately - it was MtotheC for Days and Rowley for The hustler  OK 

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brys Wed 26 Mar 2014, 6:28 pm

Hustler miles and miles clear of anything else on the list, got a shot to be the best sports film where the others don't. Rowley great write up for the Hustler and I'd agree its possibly Newman's finest film... maybe Cool Hand Luke Smile

Brys

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 26 Mar 2014, 6:58 pm

think i may owe rowley an apology here but ive never seen the hustler so sadly cant vote for it

out of the rest i'll have to go for days of thunder purely through being better than the other two.

im sure if i had seen the hustler i would have voted for it, seeing the rest are pretty average with one down right shocking, so if its any consolation jeff you can have my imaginary vote

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Wed 26 Mar 2014, 6:59 pm

i did once start to watch it at uni, then realized there was better things to do and went out and got p1ssed

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:00 am

the hustler is the only decent film on the list

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:04 am

The Hustler by a country mile.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:07 am

Days of Thunder. Quality.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:42 am

Easily The Hustler for me. Some great performances, especially from Newman. Cracking write up by Jeff who didn't even need to play the ''Jake LaMotta is in the film'' card!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoggy_Bear Thu 27 Mar 2014, 12:10 pm

Ali and the Hustler are the standouts in this round IMHO.

Hoggy_Bear

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down