The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card

+8
summerblues
HM Murdock
slashermcguirk
lags72
Henman Bill
laverfan
TRuffin
invisiblecoolers
12 posters

Go down

Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card Empty Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:02 am

Not sure whats the reason behind Federer sudden acceptance as wild card in Monte Carlo, a tournament he traditionally skipped after being a losing finalist on 3 attempts to GOD of clay on his prime years.

Like I suspected that Nadal is not in the right frame of mind and looks mentally tired to defend all his clay points once again, Roger's team might have sensed it too and trying to make Hay while the sunshine I guess  Very Happy .

There is also a word of mouth that Mirka is expecting another kid around July and hence he might skip some tournament like Rogers masters in Toronto [what a shame I get not to see him again   ] so decided to play more right now.

Another common sentiment among RF fans is that he is in a good nick and wants to capitalize on it so that he is a top 4 for FO and Wimbledon.

Whatever be the reason, RF in Monte Carlo is an awesome news, and I want him to be drawn on Rafa's half to see the most famous greatest yet one sided rivalry. Headscratch

Last but not least I am predicting him to win the tournament  Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card Empty Re: Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card

Post by TRuffin Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:20 pm

It looks like the baby is actually do sooner- around Madrid or Rome so I think he's trying to 1. get the points while he can, 2. get in at least 1 or 2 clay masters like he prefers before RG.

He usually likes this long training block after IW/Miami until Madrid and with DC and playing MC- he's not going to get it.. Remains to be seen if that is a good or bad thing.

I can't see him beating Nadal on the Monte Carlo clay at this point... Madrid was always his best shot because of the speed.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card Empty Re: Federer confirms Monte Carlo 2014, enters as Wild Card

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:31 pm

TRuffin wrote:

I can't see him beating Nadal on the Monte Carlo clay at this point...   Madrid was always his best shot because of the speed.

He can beat Rafa on Madrid provided its blue clay  Very Happy , my assumption is Rafa will lose some point of time in Monte Carlo early, law of averages. angel 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:55 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
TRuffin wrote:

I can't see him beating Nadal on the Monte Carlo clay at this point...   Madrid was always his best shot because of the speed.

He can beat Rafa on Madrid provided its blue clay  Very Happy , my assumption is Rafa will lose some point of time in Monte Carlo early, law of averages. angel 

Nadal may retire from Tennis and take up Golf before Federer beats him at Tennis @MC.  Cool

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:20 am

laverfan wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
TRuffin wrote:

Nadal may retire from Tennis and take up Golf before Federer beats him at Tennis @MC.  Cool

Oh Nice Fed really do have a chance there  Very Happy 

On the otherside I heard Mirka is expecting Twins again  Very Happy how far its true?  kiss  what is it with Federer and Twins? last time Twins brought him a lot of luck and he ended up making 4 GS finals with Twin triumphs in RG-Win, will the next set of twins bring him the same desired luck ?  Yahoo 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:29 am

Great news for Monte Carlo with their line up this year, Djoko again too I think he missed it in previous years not last year obviously as he won it.

Federer is not going to win this though.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:04 pm

You're right HB, he will not win it - although I very much doubt even he would realistically give himself anything other than a very outside chance amidst such a strong field.

Rather he will see MC as a means of picking up some valuable ranking points after missing it last year, and of course as additional preparation for RG.

The wider picture is the Race to London. I'm pretty certain Federer considers qualification for a totally unique 13th successive appearance at WTF as one of his key objectives for the season overall. For as long as he continues to play on the tour, it will remain a matter of personal pride to qualify, with all that it says about consistency. If he can maintain his early-season form (and that's a big IF with the passing years) then he should make WTF more comfortably than last year.

Plus there is the DC of course, most likely the very last opportunity.

I would second guess his 2014 Slam targets as : QF at RG, a Final at Wimbledon and a QF or maybe SF at USO.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:49 pm

Which side of the draw do you think Federer will fall, and what side should be his preference?

Is Djoko more tougher to beat given his form or it is always Rafa the nightmare match-up for Fed?

I actually want Fed to be drawn in Rafa's half and some how make till the semi's to face his nightmare. Very Happy 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:09 pm

Not sure he loses any sleep over draws these days, invisible. I think he IS still motivated - but at the same time relaxed and ready to take whatever cards are dealt.

He is now well into the twilight, his work on the court is pretty much done and anything else that may come his way is just a bonus.

As per my earlier post, I reckon he is very keen to
1. qualify for WTF
2. make the most of what could well be his very last DC opportunity
3. put up a respectable showing in the three Slams to come

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm

lags72 wrote:Not sure he loses any sleep over draws these days, invisible. I think he IS still motivated - but at the same time relaxed and ready to take whatever cards are dealt.

He is now well into the twilight, his work on the court is pretty much done and anything else that may come his way is just a bonus.

As per my earlier post, I reckon he is very keen to
1. qualify for WTF
2. make the most of what could well be his very last DC opportunity
3. put up a respectable showing in the three Slams to come

This post made more sense and I completely agree with you here, he is more relaxed now and doesn't fear for any loss and ready to move on, he plays the game more like an exercise/workout to his body  Very Happy .

The best part is even Fed fans are not worried about him losing to anybody and are relaxed to watch him as much as they can till the last swan song.  Crying or Very sad 

What I see is Fed wanna give everything one big a shot before he calls off, its very likely he will call off by this WTF or next Wimbledon.  censored 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:05 am

The funny thing is how he skipped Monte Carlo in years when he was in the race for #1 and it could have made all the difference, or at least looked that way at the time.

About a year or two ago you could have picked the schedule of the big 4 yourself. There were never any surprises. It seems less predictable this year and last.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:26 pm

Djokovic and federer in the same side of the draw. Tricky route for Novak as also on his side are berdych, tsonga, monfils, gulbis, Anderson. A lot of tricky players.

Nadal has ferrer, dimitrov, wawrinka on his side

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:34 pm

Tough draw for Novak but he got an easier one at IW, so swings and roundabouts.

I'd like Novak to win at least one of MC, Madrid or Rome, ideally beating Rafa to do so. That would make things interesting for RG.

Instinctively I feel like Rafa won't sweep the board this year. But when I try to work out exactly who might beat him, it's not a long list!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:58 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:
Instinctively I feel like Rafa won't sweep the board this year. But when I try to work out exactly who might beat him, it's not a long list!

Thats the feeling I have too and have been advocating that thoughts in v2 forum for quite a while. thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Thats the feeling I have too and have been advocating that thoughts in v2 forum for quite a while. thumbsup 
I know people who have been advocating that view for 9 years  Smile

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:21 pm

There is a smiley at the end of my previous post.  Am I the only one who does not see it? (nevermind, I see it now - it just takes forever to pop up on my computer for some reason).

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:14 pm

summerblues wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

It could be put as blind obsession for some in the past, U will see whether its blind obsession for me or a great prediction.  thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:50 am

I wouldn't say Roger WON'T win Monte Carlo, it's too empiric a statement.

I WOULD say, he won't beat both Djokovic and Nadal to win the title. But upsets do occur, people do get sick and strange things happen all year long on the tour.

With a fit Nadal, I can't see anyone aside from Novak beating him, and I think Novak will be very focused and determined this year, so don't see a similar upset for him like last year.

Think it will be Nadal, Djokovic and Federer in the semis, but not so sure about Stan.

Whatever, it will be interesting to see what happens in the first "big" tournament on clay, with the "BIG" players all playing - aside from Murray.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:48 am

yloponom68 wrote:I wouldn't say Roger WON'T win Monte Carlo, it's too empiric a statement.

I WOULD say, he won't beat both Djokovic and Nadal to win the title. But upsets do occur, people do get sick and strange things happen all year long on the tour.

With a fit Nadal, I can't see anyone aside from Novak beating him, and I think Novak will be very focused and determined this year, so don't see a similar upset for him like last year.

Think it will be Nadal, Djokovic and Federer in the semis, but not so sure about Stan.

Whatever, it will be interesting to see what happens in the first "big" tournament on clay, with the "BIG" players all playing - aside from Murray.

Good post, agreed  thumbsup 

Murray anyways is a not a big player in clay, he has at times outperformed the expectations, otherwise he is a guy who could go down to player like Fognini consistently on clay.  furious 

The others to watch are Ferrer, Verdasco , Almugro in clay, these guys have traditionally done very well on clay and can really spring a surprise if one of the big fish [barring Nadal] is slightly off on the given day.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:20 pm

Looks like so far so good on all my predictions  Very Happy 

.I predicted Rafa to be downed in earlier rounds -- Happened
.I predicted Djoko to not defend Monte Carlo - Happened
.I predicted Fed to win Monte Carlo - Awaiting Results.

The only thing I failed to predict is Ferrer downing Rafa, I thought it would be Stan Wawrinka, what ever Monte Carlo stood with the theme of 2014, another tournament full of upsets.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:30 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:Looks like so far so good on all my predictions  Very Happy 

.I predicted Rafa to be downed in earlier rounds -- Happened
.I predicted Djoko to not defend Monte Carlo - Happened
.I predicted Fed to win Monte Carlo - Awaiting Results.
Indeed.  Those were some impressive calls.  I never thought your Rafa prediction would be right, nor that your Fed prediction had a realistic chance of being correct.

Now, can you please also predict Roger to win RG please? Wink

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am

Call me a pedant if you will, but Djokovic DID 'defend' Monte Carlo. But not successfully .......

That aside, some impressive predictions there invisible !  Cool

It's been something of an unusual early season so far. But none the worse for that, I'd say ......

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:44 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:Not sure whats the reason behind Federer sudden acceptance as wild card in Monte Carlo, a tournament he traditionally skipped after being a losing finalist on 3 attempts to GOD of clay on his prime years......

Close but no cigar.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:10 am

Henman Bill wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:Not sure whats the reason behind Federer sudden acceptance as wild card in Monte Carlo, a tournament he traditionally skipped after being a losing finalist on 3 attempts to GOD of clay on his prime years......

Close but no cigar.

Yup a little blip in the end,  furious  but happy for a Stan win anyways. thumbsup

Hell with Federer spoiled my otherwise 100% prediction for the tournament.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:32 am

Lags72 -glad you've highlighted this "defence" nonsense. Defending a title means being able to play the following year. Hewitt defended his title at Wimbledon in 2003 even though he lost to Karlovic in the first round.
If he'd won the championship he'd have SUCCESSFULLY defended his title. It's only if he'd been unable to turn up that he would have been deemed to have been "unable to defend his title".

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:41 pm

Nice and clear  thumbsup 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:18 am

sirfredperry wrote:Lags72 -glad you've highlighted this "defence" nonsense.

Next time moron give respect and take it back  OK 

When I meant Djoko didn't defend the title it was easily understandable that I meant Djoko didn't defend the title successfully, I don't need to spoon feed kid level brains like you. However on the other hand Lags correction was acceptable coz he put forward in a very decent way.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:10 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:
summerblues wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

It could be put as blind obsession for some in the past, U will see whether its blind obsession for me or a great prediction.  thumbsup 
Very impressive IC.  Very impressive indeed.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:57 pm

summerblues wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
summerblues wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:

Very impressive IC.  Very impressive indeed.

I have to back it up too, how to hell you got Rafa's clay prediction right so far? Rafa losing to Almagro, Almagro cannot even do it on his dreams on his best days.

DirectView

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down