The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Degale unveiled by Matchroom

+17
jimdig
superflyweight
Valero's Conscience
ShahenshahG
hampo17
Nico the gman
catchweight
hazharrison
CallMeBenji
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Qoxiivi
smashingstormcrow
Rowley
TopHat24/7
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
neilodonnell
Seanusarrilius
21 posters

Go down

Degale unveiled by Matchroom Empty Degale unveiled by Matchroom

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:58 pm

Link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXm6TxC7JQA

So please for Degale. Not a huge fan, but he deserves the chance to at least see how big he can get.

He is going to be on Froch v Groves undercard and no doubt Eddie will get him a shot at the winner.

Smart move, Eddie.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Degale unveiled by Matchroom Empty Re: Degale unveiled by Matchroom

Post by neilodonnell Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:02 pm

More likely the loser, no?

neilodonnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:05 pm

More fuel for the lavatory attendant STRONGBACK to further his claim that Eddie Hearn is an evil mastermind.

Aye, taking a fighter from relative obscurity (the destination for most Fat Mick fighters) to a place on the undercard of the biggest British fight in history. That Eddie Hearn, he's a wrong 'un!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:Link here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXm6TxC7JQA

So pleased for Degale. Not a huge fan, but he deserves the chance to at least see how big he can get.

He is going to be on Froch v Groves undercard and no doubt Eddie will get him a shot at the winner.

Smart move, Eddie.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

Interestingly it's an IBF eliminator and if he wins will face the winner of Froch vs Groves. So there you go....one fight with Matchroom, fights on a massive card and can be headlining a PPV card in the following fight.

Fat Mick must be crying into his kebab that he bought from the supermarket that held DeGales last fight
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Good move for JdG, not a fan but his talent shouldn't be exhibited in front of a few hundred people at a shopping centre/leisure centre.

Hopefully Eddie moves him quick.

Last edited by Rowley on Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Will delete it next time)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:10 pm

As Reborn says Sky are reporting he is fighting the winner of Froch Groves. Good move all round if so, domestic fights can always sell, particularly if it is Groves who prevails and Degale will earn a lot more than he ever would against Bika you would have to think.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by smashingstormcrow Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:19 pm

If Froch wins I'd expect him to vacate and go for one last fight in the US, rather the fight the winner of Degale/Gonzales. Degale/Groves rematch could be interesting.

smashingstormcrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:33 pm

Would expect whoever wins from Groves/Froch to KO him. Groves more so than Froch, for some reason. Think Froch is a more winable fight for DeGale.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by Qoxiivi Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:40 pm

However, to add to that, good luck to him. Not my favourite fighter, but he's way better than just fighting in Bluewater. Who knows, perhaps some of his lackadaisical performances stem in part from being demotivated and uninspired by such a comparatively pedestrian predicament. Maybe he'll shine when given a fight and stage to really get his teeth into.

Having said that though, he really needs to shape up. He's not that hard to hit and spends a lot of time on the ropes. Both of these can be fixed though, but they'll need to be as I don't get the feeling he has (or ever will have) the power to deter world-level fighters from walking him down.

Qoxiivi

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:42 pm

Now he just needs to get rid of that useless @rse-licking coach!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Groves isn't with Matchroom though? So if he wins, he will probs a get a voluntary defence and probs doesn’t even have to fight DeGale

Its funny seeing DeGale coming back with his tail between his legs, sniffing round Groves feet for scraps.

Should have done it on his own and went after Bika.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:21 pm

What do people think the odds will be of Hearn having a word in JDG's ear about ditching McDonnel and going over to, perhaps, Sims? I wouldn't be surprised if Sims is paying referral fees to Hearn !

Getting a new promoter is a huge step for JDG, however in order for him to be fully reinvigorated and fulfil this potential that has seemingly been bubbling under the surface for the past few years, I think he needs a new trainer with a new approach. He's had a slightly unjustifiable sense of entitlement ever since he's turned pro and I think that is largely down to McDonnell just being a yes man.

The loss to Groves did make him slightly more humble in terms of how he's perceived by the public but behind closed doors I suspect he's the same old Chunky as he was prior to the Groves loss.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:40 pm

Why would the winner of Groves-Froch fight DeGale?

Groves would probably receive an invite from Ward, whilst Froch could take his pick from Kessler, Pascal, GGG/Chavez?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:50 pm

This is good news. DeGale is a good addition. Id like to see him fight Froch or Groves again. The time is right for DeGale to step up to the top level.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Watching Degale of late I just don't he looks good enough to step up to top level and win.
Degale has been shook and hurt a few times and Froch and Groves wiil both fancy their chances of stopping or knocking him out,Degale doesn't look like he possesses great power either.

Wise move though for Degale providing he doesn't end up in some long drawn out legal battle that stalls him.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:22 pm

Wonder if Hennessy will push through with his threat of legal action then.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:27 pm

If his legal action is as good as his promoting then we will never hear about it again.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:29 pm

catchweight wrote:If his legal action is as good as his promoting then we will never hear about it again.

Ha very true, Eddie could hire superfly and still get off!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:35 pm

Rowley wrote:
catchweight wrote:If his legal action is as good as his promoting then we will never hear about it again.

I'd have thought he'd have hired him for that express purpose.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:36 pm

CallMeBenji wrote:The loss to Groves did make him slightly more humble in terms of how he's perceived by the public but behind closed doors I suspect he's the same old Chunky as he was prior to the Groves loss.

We never knew what he was like behind closed doors in the first place Benji, speaking to people who've interviewed him he is a very approachable guy who has a lot of time for the fans when he's at events.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:46 pm

Hennessy is done as a promoter on anything more than a regional scale.

Fury is an attraction however I get the idea it's more partnership with Team Fury.

The only other real talent is Kid Galahad and I don't ever see him crossing over to be a star.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:52 pm

Said it the other day VC, Galahad fought in Sheffield the other week. I work in Sheffield and I did not even find out the fight was on until two days before. It was almost like he was trying to keep it a secret, would it kill him to put a few posters up. I feel for Mick as he does seem to want to send his fighters down the right route, but he seriously lacks dynanism as a promoter.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:58 pm

Rowley wrote:

Up yours, jeff. Up yours.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:33 pm

Laugh

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:57 pm

I see that Eddie Hearn had announced that the attendance for Froch v Groves has been increased to 80,000.  Christ knows what kind if conspiracy theory Strongy will develop out of that bit of news.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:10 pm

Might be time to use the Barry caveat.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:17 pm

Not yet, Jeff. 

I'm guessing that it will be something along the lines of the capacity always being 80,000 and Eddie deliberately and publicly committing an act of fraud on a massive scale by saying it was 60,000, just to drive up demand for tickets.   The authorities will ignore this because Eddie hypnotised them all using a Paul McKenna CD he picked up (stole) from a WH Smith in Romford in 1997. 

Or some other nonsense.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Good move for DeGale, but his path forward should be a fight against bika. There is no way he fights either froch or groves next. If he beat bika it'd be marketable, in the absence of that he's just another amateur that never fulfilled his potential that groves beat ages ago.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:50 pm

Degale against the winner of Froch and Groves would probably be PPV here. Its a big fight.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:15 am

Yep, but DeGale against froch or groves is only a big fight because of froch or groves. Groves got a mention on eastenders tonight (or so my missus told me) Ok! 
Hearn doesn't have options on groves, so can't guarantee a fight against him anyway. I suppose Hearn can market degales undercard bout as a final eliminator for the alphabelt, he seems capable of pulling any number of final eliminators out of thin air. Seeing as froch wanted nothing to do with groves in the first place, I can't see him as having much interest in taking on a guy like DeGale who brings only name recognition, risk and selling power of a couple of hundred tickets to the table.

Anyway I think DeGale moving to Hearn is a good career option, he can be brought back in from the wilderness, the British public can remember that he's only lost a close decision to groves. And he can get himself a big fight, in a proper venue.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 am

catchweight wrote:Degale against the winner of Froch and Groves would probably be PPV here. Its a big fight.

On what basis? DeGale can't even fill a shopping centre -- how would he make for a PPV fight?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:13 am

Rowley wrote:Said it the other day VC, Galahad fought in Sheffield the other week. I work in Sheffield and I did not even find out the fight was on until two days before. It was almost like he was trying to keep it a secret, would it kill him to put a few posters up. I feel for Mick as he does seem to want to send his fighters down the right route, but he seriously lacks dynanism as a promoter.

Was this on C5 as well? Completely missed the fight and I like Galahad.

Hopefully he will be the next one off, seems to have great talent and worry it'll be wasted with Mick. Unfortunate as he seems like a decent enough bloke for a promoter.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:26 am

Rowley wrote:Said it the other day VC, Galahad fought in Sheffield the other week. I work in Sheffield and I did not even find out the fight was on until two days before. It was almost like he was trying to keep it a secret, would it kill him to put a few posters up. I feel for Mick as he does seem to want to send his fighters down the right route, but he seriously lacks dynanism as a promoter.

Laugh Laugh OK 

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 am

Surprised DeGale didn't hold out for that big gig on the website that Froch fought Taylor on. He seemed so close
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:45 am

hazharrison wrote:
catchweight wrote:Degale against the winner of Froch and Groves would probably be PPV here. Its a big fight.

On what basis? DeGale can't even fill a shopping centre -- how would he make for a PPV fight?

That was with Mick Hennessy fighting against opponents nobody had heard of.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:00 am

I was a bit put off with Eddie Hearn at the presser yesterday (no, my account hasn't been hacked by Strongy!!)

But when DeGale was trying to talk about his fight coming up, Hearn kept interupting with "tell them about how you will fit into the Froch/Groves saga", "tell them who you want to fight out of Froch/Groves etc"

After seeing how DeGale can switch off, Hearn needs to be careful that DeGale doesn't blow it at Wembley. It seemed like Hearn was overly building DeGale as a shoe in to face the winner when he still has to overcome his next opponent. Fair play to DeGale, he did try to keep the subject on his next foe, telling the press that he can't look past him etc, but Eddie seemed determined to keep bring up Froch/Groves.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:11 am

Carl doesn't need DeSnoozeFest if he beats Georgey Groves. He should vacate and go and earn a few quid in America.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:45 pm

jimdig wrote:Yep, but DeGale against froch or groves is only a big fight because of froch or groves.
Froch yes, but Groves is only a big name now because he too fought Froch for a world title, and it would be the same if Degale fought Froch or the guy who miight beat Froch.

Also Degale won a gold medal for the UK, to everyone knows who he is, which would also add interest, with him potentially being the first Brit gold medalist to go on to win a world title.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:07 pm

I think this is a good move for Degale, With Mick he just seemed static. Whether Mick felt he was ready or not really was no longer relevant as he simply had to move forward and find out.

For me Degales weaknesses he has shown in recent fights are silly things that should be fixed, as he would show certain qualities in one round and then throw them out the window the next, whether this turns out to be a concentration issue or not I dont know.

But I get the feeling Hearn is not there to cover him in cotton wool, he knows he is due to step up to the plate and probably thinks, if Degale proves to be the cream then he has a great new fighter and if he falls short then thats that one done and dusted. That being said I think he needs a couple more tests before he goes for Froch, although I think Froch is feeling father time now.

I think if Degale does tighten up his defense and learns to take a round off with a more cautious technique then he had the tools to beat Groves and Froch.

I think his power is under rated and no one has been able to walk Degale down like people keep saying they can. The only time they have was the Mohoumadi fight where he struggled but still won, and Mohoumadi has since gone on to KO a Decent Light Heavyweight and is good fighter. But that being said Degale does not have the power to rely on alone, and sometimes its like he fights like his power will take care of it all. Floyd does not have huge power but because of his defense the power he does have is far more effective.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down