The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa?

+13
HammerofThunor
Sin é
Portnoy's Complaint
brennomac
RF09
munkian
quinsforever
thebandwagonsociety
GunsGerms
rodders
Biltong
geoff998rugby
LondonTiger
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa? - Page 2 Empty Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa?

Post by LondonTiger Wed 16 Apr 2014, 1:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

And concentrate on their own time-zones:

http://www.espn.co.uk/super-rugby-2014/rugby/story/222005.html

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa?

Post by Guest Mon 21 Apr 2014, 9:52 am

I posted on another thread how I have noticed the media coverage in Wales, Scotland and Ireland giving far greater prominence than in recent times to domestic club games. Is this the start of a renaissance for domestic structures rather than artificial cross border elite league structures? I hope so.

Even an irish journalist remarked recently in an article that the All Ireland club final was by far a bigger set of games historically than any inter provincial games, which is not quite the perception one gets from reading posts on here.

Back to top Go down

Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Mehrtens suggests Super Rugby Drop South Africa?

Post by Guest Mon 21 Apr 2014, 10:11 am

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/aru-has-everything-to-lose-in-super-rugby-expansion-20140418-zqvz7.html

Interesting article from the SH and shows the top down centrally controlled structure has reached its natural conclusion. Fans at the end of the day want to see local team rivalries.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

Recwatcher wrote:I posted on another thread how I have noticed the media coverage in Wales, Scotland and Ireland giving far greater prominence than in recent times to domestic club games. Is this the start of a renaissance for domestic structures rather than artificial cross border elite league structures? I hope so.

Even an irish  journalist remarked recently in an article that the All Ireland club final was by far a bigger set of games historically than any inter provincial games, which is not quite the perception one gets from reading posts on here.
No, certainly not here in Ireland. Most people here don't even know the AIL exists. Even the top teams are lucky to get 200 peaople through the gates at most games.

The provincial game dominates here and always will.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:14 pm

LF4L I think you need to read my post again. The key word was 'historically'.

I realise that today the IRFU have chosen to consolidate power into four teams and recruit the best kiwi coaches they could afford and to exclude the traditional clubs from any possibility of access to the top tier of the game.

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Mon 21 Apr 2014, 11:44 pm

Recwatcher wrote:LF4L I think you need to read my post again.  The key word was 'historically'.

I realise that today the IRFU have chosen to consolidate power into four teams and recruit the best kiwi coaches they could afford and to exclude the traditional clubs from any possibility of access to the top tier of the game.
I was clearly responding to the first part of your post... Anyway Rugby sold its soul a long time ago. It is sad to see the decline of the traditional clubs but this is the way it must be if we are to keep up with the mighty English and French. 99% of rugby fans in Ireland are totally behind the Provincial game and the crowds prove that as they have never been better.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2