The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"?

+5
Kay Fabe
Chuck Norris
Sarsippius
talkingpoint
JoshSansom
9 posters

Go down

Did You Ever Believe That Professional Wrestling Was Real?

Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_lcap13%Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_lcap26%Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_rcap 26% 
[ 8 ]
Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_lcap58%Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 18 ]
Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_lcap0%Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_lcap3%Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 31

Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Empty Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"?

Post by JoshSansom Sun 22 May 2011, 3:07 pm

Simply, did you ever used to believe that professional wrestling was real?

I most certainly did. My first experience of watching pro wrestling was as an 11 year old when WWF Heat was broadcast on a Sunday afternoon at 4pm on Channel 4 (end of 1999). Prior to that my only knowledge of wrestling was some vague memories from relations of British wrestling shows that used to be broadcast on ITV in the 70's with guys like Giant Haystacks.

I had no knowledge of what the business was but I was keen to watch it anyway. The first Heat episode I saw featured Mideon, so it was probably a miracle that I continued to watch!! Smile Anyway I watched it and I enjoyed it, despite feeling that the participants must have been very odd to like being beaten up by each other. Then again, I thought, people seem to like being punched in the face with boxing so maybe this wasn't too different.

Following some episodes of Heat Channel 4 broadcast the 2000 Royal Rumble and that really convinced me that pro wrestling was real! After all the main event between HHH and Cactus Jack was sooo violent. How could it be fake? They were spilling so much blood and being hit, hard, by metal objects. It didn't make sense to me that they would be doing this if it wasn't real.

Anyway, I continued to watch WWF broadcasts on Channel 4 for must of the next two years and while I was quickly informed it wasn't real I still enjoyed it. I was still taken in by the storylines, wanting the good guys to win and the bad guys to lose and somehow it didn't matter that the action was pre-planned - or at least I didn't connect the idea of it being "fake" to the storylines not being real.

Anyway, fast forward 11 years or so and I still know that wrestling isn't real Smile but i am not able to have the same connection with the storylines that I did previously. Is this a shame? Probably. Though it does allow me to have discussions with fellow internet bods like yourselves!

So, please answer the poll question so that I can find out if I am the only one who thought this and also maybe write a few lines about the first wrestling matches / TV programmes that you saw.

JoshSansom

Back to top Go down

Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Empty Re: Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"?

Post by talkingpoint Sun 22 May 2011, 3:22 pm

When I first got into wrestling as a kid and knew nothing about MMA I thought it was real. I soon learned it wasn't and as a teenager I grew away from it due to that reason. However I later came to appreciate it as a performance art (much like dance funnily enough...not that I'm into dance but it's a good comparison). Over the last few years I've been getting into MMA and as a martial artist myself do prefer the 'real thing'. But saying that I don't follow either MMA or wrestling religiously; I cherry pick what I like from both.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"? Empty Re: Professional Wrestling... Did You Ever Used To Think It Was "Real"?

Post by Sarsippius Sun 22 May 2011, 3:27 pm

Funnily enough, the 2000 royal rumble match between Cactus Jack and HHH persuaded a 10 year old me that it must be real as well, despite my mum insisting it was fake

I think I accepted she was right shortly after, but that PPV was the first wrestling I ever sat and watched through, and I couldn't imagine how it could be faked at the time

Sarsippius

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuck Norris Sun 22 May 2011, 3:29 pm

Always knew it was "fake".

Chuck Norris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Sun 22 May 2011, 3:59 pm

I think almost everyone would have believed it to be real when the started, I think I realised pretty quickly the deal with it though

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ché Guerrero Sun 22 May 2011, 4:08 pm

This clip comes to mind right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

Ché Guerrero

Back to top Go down

Post by talkingpoint Sun 22 May 2011, 4:45 pm

Ché Guerrero wrote:This clip comes to mind right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvTNyKIGXiI

ROFL Oh so that's where the expression came from! laughing

There are certain things in wrestling that are real:

1. Ultimate Warrior really did shake those ropes like he he had a pair of jump leads attached to his you-know-what and was being electrocuted by Hulk Hogan from underneath the ring.
2. Hulk Hogan really is bald
3. Chris Jericho really is a man of 1004 holds

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by Brady12 Sun 22 May 2011, 10:20 pm

Growing up in kayfabe era of course I initially thought it was real. However you do realise pretty soon

Brady12

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Mon 23 May 2011, 12:21 am

Yea of course I did. I also thought the Undertaker was actually dead or at least some sort of superhuman. I was always told by many that it was scripted but I refused to believe it until I watched beyond the mat.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by Jammy31 Mon 23 May 2011, 12:55 pm

I used to, but I realised relatively quickly. I still think some of the weapon shots are real though !
Jammy31
Jammy31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down