The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cornish to be given 'national minority' status

+2
Duty281
Steffan
6 posters

Go down

Cornish to be given 'national minority' status Empty Cornish to be given 'national minority' status

Post by Steffan Thu 24 Apr 2014, 1:53 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10783741/Cornish-to-be-given-national-minority-status.html

Raise the flag of St Piran. A millennium after they were subsumed into the English state and 15 years since efforts began to have them formally declared a distinct people, the Cornish are to be recognised as a national minority.

The Government will announce on Thursday that the Cornish are joining the Scots, Welsh and Irish as official members of the UK’s Celtic minorities. The decision is a victory for campaigners who have long insisted that, beyond its image as the motherland of the pasty and clotted cream, Cornwall has a distinct language and culture worthy of formal recognition.

The status of a national minority group, made under a European convention to protect them, means that the Cornish now have the same rights and protections as the more established members of Britain’s Celtic fringe.

The Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Danny Alexander, will make the announcement in Bodmin today. He said: “Cornish people have a proud history and a distinct identity. I am delighted that we have been able to officially recognise this and afford the Cornish people the same status as other minorities in the UK.”

The ruling is the culmination of a long battle to assert a distinct Cornish identity which saw 84,000 people declare themselves “Cornish” in the 2011 Census following a campaign for the designation to be added to the form. A further 41 per cent of pupils in Cornwall’s schools described themselves as Cornish in a 2011 school survey – up from 34 per cent two years earlier.

The Cornish language, which until 2010 was classified as extinct by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation, is also enjoying a robust revival, with 557 people claiming the Celtic dialect as their main language. Teaching of Cornish has received government funding Last month, the Liberal Democrat leader, Nick Clegg, pledged a further £120,000 to promote and develop the language with such measures as an internet-based radio station.

The first Cornish language crèche opened in 2010 and dual-language street signs are now common throughout the county. Its three Liberal Democrat MPs swore their oath in Cornish when elected to Parliament in 2010.

Campaigners said they were delighted by the move, which comes after the submission of two formal reports to Westminster seeking minority status and years of lobbying.

Dick Cole, leader of the Cornish nationalist party Mebyon Kernow, which campaigns for a separate national assembly, told The Independent: “We are absolutely elated. The fact that Cornish culture, language and identity is now formally a national minority on a par with the Welsh, Scots and Irish is fantastic. We shall savour the moment.”

The Communities Minister, Stephen Williams, added: “This is a great day for the people of Cornwall.”

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Cornish to be given 'national minority' status Empty Re: Cornish to be given 'national minority' status

Post by Steffan Thu 24 Apr 2014, 2:07 pm

Says on http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-27132035 here that:

- The Cornish will be afforded the same protections as the Welsh, Scottish and the Irish.

- This means that government departments and public bodies will be required to take Cornwall's views into account when making decisions.

- It ensures that the rights of national minorities are respected by combating discrimination, promoting equality and preserving and developing the culture and identity of national minorities.

- The status does not attract extra money.

This a great news and the protection of national minorities is very important

Well done to Cornwall and after over 1500 years that Celtic pride is still there  thumbsup 

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Cornish to be given 'national minority' status Empty Re: Cornish to be given 'national minority' status

Post by Duty281 Thu 24 Apr 2014, 2:18 pm

*Raises a glass*

Here's to Cornwall then, my home and my place of birth.

Long may she be free!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 24 Apr 2014, 2:28 pm

Duty281 wrote:*Raises a glass*

Long may she be free!
And what a lovely place Cornwall is as well  Ale

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Breadvan Fri 02 May 2014, 9:08 am

Raise a pint o korev for them beys...
Breadvan
Breadvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 02 May 2014, 10:58 am

Waste of money, countries got other things to worry about at the moment.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri 02 May 2014, 12:29 pm

Long may she be free!

Your ok with this but your not ok with the Muslim community practising Sharia law in their communities???

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 02 May 2014, 1:22 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Long may she be free!

Your ok with this but your not ok with the Muslim community practising Sharia law in their communities???

I don't see the correlation between the two?

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by The Fourth Lion Sun 04 May 2014, 3:44 pm

Good on yer, Kernow.   This is long overdue and as Cornwall has long been neglected by Westminster when it comes to investment and infrastructure, I hope this changes and west of Tamar sees a period of growth and improvement.

Next on the list..........

It's time for us Corkheads to unite...!!  Recognition for the Isle of Wight..!!
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 04 May 2014, 5:33 pm

Duty281 wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

Long may she be free!

I don't see the correlation between the two?

And nor, it seems, do you.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down