The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

+40
geoff998rugby
pete (buachaill on eirne)
SecretFly
Don Alfonso
Thomond
The Great Aukster
rodders
Brendan
Standulstermen
Dave.
brennomac
BlueMuff
Feckless Rogue
asoreleftshoulder
thebandwagonsociety
KiaRose
Kingshu
GunsGerms
Pete330v2
Mickado
Scrumpy
Jenifer McLadyboy
Biltong
Sin é
LeinsterFan4life
profitius
clivemcl
HammerofThunor
Submachine
Portnoy's Complaint
whocares
Nachos Jones
LondonTiger
Golden
formerly known as Sam
ReadBetweenthePosts
ME-109
GoodinTightSpaces
MunsterMac
Notch
44 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread Empty The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 2:04 pm

Fans of Ulster, Leinster, Munster and Connacht unite! A place is here to talk of your teams.

Discuss the Pro12 run-in, the provinces prospects in Europe next season, the tour to Argentina and why we're generally just the best. I mean, just how great are we? Lets talk about that.

But mainly whatever feckin' thing comes into your head!

Last edited by Notch on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Who would have thought we'd see the day when both Shannon and Garryowen are in Div 1b of the AIL??

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread Empty Re: The Official Irish Provinces Rugby Thread

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 3:21 pm

anybody playing tag rugby this year

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:04 pm

MunsterMac wrote:Who would have thought we'd see the day when both Shannon and Garryowen are in Div 1b of the AIL??

As usual the Cork teams have to keep things going...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ReadBetweenthePosts Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:anybody playing tag rugby this year

Thinking about getting side together this summer! Good day's craic

ReadBetweenthePosts

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:18 pm

We held a tag rugby thing over last summer. Monday nights for eight weeks open to anyone. The club picked up some very handy players doing that. Good fun and good fitness to.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:26 pm

Ye I haven't played any kind of rugby in about 6 years but thinking of joining a tag team this summer.

Need to get back in shape and hopefully have a few of these  guinness  guinness along the way  Smile 

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

Golden wrote:Ye I haven't played any kind of rugby in about 6 years but thinking of joining a tag team this summer.

Need to get back in shape and hopefully have a few of these  guinness  guinness along the way Smile

great way of getting back the Enthusiasm for playing the game and a great social sport to be fair. you would be amazed how quickly you will get fitness back.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:28 pm

COUGH..13 titles by Limerick clubs, 4 by Cork....COUGH

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:29 pm

Is 46 too old for tag rugby?

Been thinking about it myself.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 4:33 pm

MunsterMac wrote:Is 46 too old for tag rugby?

Been thinking about it myself.

nope not at all. you can roll on and off as many times as you like. we had a guy in his 50s play with us last year. he had played before and it made all the difference

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:00 pm

Hey I'm going to merge this with the Saracens thread. Seems to be covering most of the same topics.

devil 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:02 pm

Notch wrote:Hey I'm going to merge this with the Saracens thread. Seems to be covering most of the same topics.

devil 

did you have to delete the original post. really summed up the guy nicely.

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:06 pm

I actually think a thread for Irish Rugby discussion is a really good idea. I hope it becomes a fixture on the forum and we have the issue with us Irish being such garrulous, talkative types we get sidetracked on other threads and divert them from their purpose.

But it won't if thats the OP because people will just react to it. So I'm not deleting the OP- I'm repurposing it!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:09 pm

Murphys or Guinness?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachos Jones Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Murphys or Guinness?

I cant stand Guinness, give me a Caffrey's or Beamish any day of the week Very Happy

Nachos Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:15 pm

He he he- some crafty moderating and the Irish Provinces Rugby Thread is born! Like a clubhouse to keep all us over-talkative Irish thread jackers out of trouble.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:17 pm

Ahh that's a pity.

I thought we were dealing with the situation very well.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:19 pm

should make it sticky Wink

genuine question : why people in kerry generally dont give a flying feck about rugby?

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:20 pm

can we at the very least invite scrumpy back

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:21 pm

GoodinTightSpaces wrote:can we at the very least invite scrumpy back

Oh I don't think we've seen the end of our pal Scrumps. As a reluctant admirer of Irish Rugby, I can guarantee he'll be lurking around enviously somewhere...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

Should moderators still on with a P plate be so explicitly biased to a section of the V2 community?

Hint: Best keep your feet on the ground when tackling the opposition, Notch  Wink

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:22 pm

Delighted to see Skerries go back up to AIL. Sad to see Suttonians go the other way.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:31 pm

genuine question : why people in kerry generally dont give a flying feck about rugby?

I don't think JJ Hanrahan or Mick Galway would agree with you.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:32 pm

Kerry is a bit of a powerhouse in GAA though
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GoodinTightSpaces Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:35 pm

Notch wrote:Kerry is a bit of a powerhouse in GAA though

rubbish at hurling sticks though

GoodinTightSpaces

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

Notch wrote:Kerry WAS a bit of a powerhouse in GAA football though

Fixed.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:39 pm

Knew that was coming  Cool 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:44 pm

MunsterMac wrote:

COUGH..13 titles by Limerick clubs, 4 by Cork....COUGH

Meh...con topped the league numerous times but never did well in the playoff final stuff. Anyhow its funny that YM are now the sole Limerick club in 1a....scary...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:47 pm

whocares wrote:should make it sticky Wink

Genuine answer. Gaelic football is a simple game with simple rules...its the reason they are useless at Hurling (too much skill) and Rugby would blow their minds completely (too many rules). In fact JJ Hanrahan and Mick Galway played rugby because they are the only people to have passed their Leaving certificate (school exams) in Kerry since the foundation of the Irish state.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:51 pm

How do you confuse a Kerryman?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:55 pm

There are too many answers to that question...however go on then

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:56 pm

Put a shovel and a spade against a wall and tell him to take his pick.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 29 Apr 2014, 5:57 pm

My all time favourite joke.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 29 Apr 2014, 6:35 pm

When the union owns the provincial sides...what is the benefit of central contracts?

I understand they're been reduced, or faded out.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Tue 29 Apr 2014, 6:39 pm

Did we all see this?

Honey Badger is a legend of a man (creature)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wBWfYGTe78

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:21 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:When the union owns the provincial sides...what is the benefit of central contracts?

It's a matter of budget. The now much reduced central contracts are paid directly by the IRFU and are external to the budgets of the provinces.

All contracts are central contracts really. But some contracts are more central than others Wink
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:30 pm

Just spotted this thread. I posted on another that Connacht have confirmed the players leaving at the end of the season.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-confirm-outgoing-players/#ConnachtNews

Outgoing Players 2013/14: Brett Wilkinson (retired), Gavin Duffy, Frank Murphy, Eoin Griffin (London Irish), Paul O’Donohoe, Dan Parks, Kyle Tonetti (retired), Aaron Conneely, Brian Murphy, Dave Nolan, James Rael.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:38 pm

I'm surprised Munster/Leinster did not try sign Alapati Leiua who is off to Wasps. Would have been a perfect signing.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:51 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:When the union owns the provincial sides...what is the benefit of central contracts?

Jerry Flannery explained it really as the Provinces getting a player they don't have to pay for out of their own budget. For most of the internationals who are away a bit, it would mean that the Provinces have to keep a bigger squad to cover for them anyway. Obviously these players would all be on top end money as well.

Irish players supposedly on Central contracts are: Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross, Paul O'Connell, Donnacha Ryan, Peter O'Mahony, Sean O'Brien, Jamie Heaslip, Conor Murray, No. 10, Andrew Trimble, Gordon Darcy, Keith Earls, Tommy Bowe, Rob Kearney.

(I've left out Brian O'D because he is retiring next year. Rumour also has it that Jared Payne got one). There used to be about 30. Not sure if Gordon D'Arcy has one for next season.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:56 pm

Johne Murphy & Denis Hurley have just extended their contracts for 1 more year. Also a Prop from Leinster is getting a 1 year Development Contract (Martin Kelly - Dublin University).

Ian Nagle has turned down a new contract, so will be looking for a home.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 29 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

Ian Nagle really needs to move on to move up. Good decision.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 8:11 pm

Need to check but I think Nagle has a club lined up next year...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Tue 29 Apr 2014, 9:11 pm

Thought Nagle was already in Newcastle?

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 29 Apr 2014, 10:03 pm

He's on loan...possibly staying but dont know for sure.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 30 Apr 2014, 9:49 am

rubbish at hurling sticks though

Just to clarify that only a tiny bit of Kerry in the north of the county around Ballyduff plays any hurling and they are actually quite good at it.

The story is that way back at the dawn of the GAA Kerry were just as good at hurling as football and  even won an All Ireland in 1891.

But given that all the other Munster counties favoured hurling a decision was made to concentrate on football and the rest as they say is history.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:25 am

Scrumpy wrote:So what will you guys be doing on the 24th May?  Wink

Watching re-runs of previous HC finals?
Bidding on ERC memorabilia on eBay?

Scrumpy, really showing some class there with that comment, ASBO, don't respond, that is exactly what scrumpy wants.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:30 am

Scrumpy wrote:So what will you guys be doing on the 24th May?  Wink

Watching re-runs of previous HC finals?
Bidding on ERC memorabilia on eBay?

At least we have a choice of 6 re runs to dig out.. Smile all of which are newer than the sepia tinted footage of 98......

That's called banter too.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:31 am

The Irish guys don't mind as they have a sense of humour, but name calling is just pathetic and sums up what is wrong with this site when that is accepted behaviour and a bit of light hearted banter is frowned upon!  Shocked 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Wed 30 Apr 2014, 10:43 am

Scrumpy wrote:sums up what is wrong with this site when that is accepted behaviour and a bit of light hearted banter is frowned upon!  Shocked 
To some degree I agree with this.

well known wums like Hersh here and yerman Norwich can be a bit irritating, but what is sometimes worse is people responding to them in a serious fashion, (eh... like me now)

Or people responding in kind getting banned or given out to.

There should be a place for banter, and there is a way to respond to it without taking it seriously. Yes it can be annoying when others are trying to have a discussion. But if you want to have a serious discussion then IGNORE it. They will go away if they get no reaction.

Not getting at Asbo here who is a gent.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next