The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul."

+5
JAS
lorus59
kwinigolfer
super_realist
McLaren
9 posters

Go down

"The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul." Empty "The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul."

Post by McLaren Mon May 05, 2014 4:34 pm

I am sure everyone will find something of interest in this SI/golf.com Confidential

golf.com wrote:

Tour Confidential: How would the PGA Tour have handled Donald Sterling? Plus, U.S. Ryder Cup picks and Donald Trump

Every Sunday night, Golf.com conducts an e-mail roundtable with writers from Sports Illustrated and Golf Magazine. Check in every week for the unfiltered opinions of our writers and editors and join the conversation in the comments section below.

1. The NBA took a strong stance against racism when it banned Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life after TMZ published recordings of Sterling saying he didn't want his girlfriend to bring African Americans to Clippers games. The PGA Tour has had many chances to make a strong statement against racially insensitive comments -- Sergio Garcia's racial joke about Tiger Woods after last year's Players Championship, Steve Williams' comments about Woods at the 2011 HSBC Champions, Steve Elkington's tweets -- but Tour officials have chosen not to make their censure, if any, public. Why not?

Michael Bamberger, senior writer, Sports Illustrated: The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul. It bows to money above all and takes a stand on nothing. How about the gutless way for years the Tour allowed the Masters to be considered, in essence, a Tour event when in fact Augusta National did not meet the Tour's own requirements regarding membership policies for clubs that host events? The Tour's drug policy is rooted in cynicism, in perception, not a real desire to see the sport be clean. The Tour addresses race issues, to use an old phrase, with benign neglect. What has that ever accomplished?

Eamon Lynch, managing editor, Golf.com (@eamonlynch): The culture of transparency at PGA Tour HQ is on a level with Putin's Kremlin. The Tour's secrecy about disciplinary proceedings -- enforced with equal vigor on everything from slow play to cheating to drug use -- has nothing to do with the privacy of the persons concerned, but rather presenting a sanitized product to corporate partners and fans alike. This is why Vijay Singh's lawsuit alleging arbitrary and inconsistent treatment so worries the defenders of the dream in Ponte Vedra. Nothing would give Tim Finchem more agita than having to make public the Tour's record of disciplining players. The Tour is sorely ill-equipped to deal with a public controversy when it comes. And it will.

Gary Van Sickle, senior writer, Sports Illustrated (@GaryVanSickle): Discussing the penalty requires talking about the original offense and therefore additional blows to the image. Silence seems like a better option.

Josh Sens, contributing writer, Golf Magazine (@JoshSens): A generous explanation might be that players and caddies are independent contractors, allowing the Tour to maintain a certain distance and deniability from those opinions, unlike the NBA/Sterling case, which involved a franchise owner. Less generously, you could say that golf has never exactly stood boldly on the front lines in the fight against discrimination. On the contrary, many of its most venerated courses and institutions have made it either their formal policies, or their accepted practice, to keep very specific segments of the population out.

Jeff Ritter, senior editor, Sports Illustrated Golf Group (@Jeff_Ritter): Who knows? Best guess is that the PGA Tour believes a cloak of secrecy protects their brand, but in reality, as other leagues become more open with violations and punishments, the Tour steadily appears weaker and behind the times. Not a great image for a game that's steadily shrinking.

Joe Passov, senior editor, Golf Magazine (@joepassov): First of all, the PGA Tour is notorious for keeping any controversies at bay and any disciplinary actions under wraps. That said, the golf examples we've cited involve players and caddies, which is somewhat different in scope than our NBA example, where a team owner, that is to say, someone in power, who represents the league, made the offensive comments. I'm having a little trouble defining the distinction, but that's how I see it.

Alan Shipnuck, senior writer, Sports Illustrated (@AlanShipnuck): The Tour is obsessed with the notion that its players are nothing but swell fellows; therefore all discipline must be kept in house to maintain the illusion. But in the absence of public censure the players are emboldened to say insensitive things. It's a broken policy.

2. J.B. Holmes won the Wells Fargo Championship, his first win since his 2011 brain surgery. Holmes is another intriguing potential U.S. Ryder Cupper with his length and his winning experience at Valhalla in 2008. Right now, these nine players would qualify for the U.S. team: Bubba Watson, Jimmy Walker, Matt Kuchar, Dustin Johnson, Jordan Spieth, Patrick Reed, Harris English, Jason Dufner and Phil Mickelson. If you’re Tom Watson, who would be your three captain’s picks.

VAN SICKLE: I'm going to assume Tiger won't be ready to play. I'll go with the next three guys on points list, Zach Johnson, Chris Kirk and Webb Simpson, but I'd keep an eye on Holmes and a few others. The points list is going to change drastically because the next three majors are worth double.

PASSOV: Tiger Woods remains at the top of the list. He's still number one in the world, and he's still the MAN until someone takes it away from him. Zach Johnson is next. I like his killer instinct, his experience, his ability to close, and his ability to make putts. Third, I'll go with Jim Furyk. The guy just keeps playing well. Not great, but well. I reserve the right to change my mind tomorrow, but tonight, those are my three picks.

SHIPNUCK: Zach, Keegan, Willie Mac.

BAMBERGER: If he's healthy, Snedeker. Ryder Cup captains should always pick putters. Zach Johnson, too. And along those same lines, Jim Furyk.

RITTER: If he's healthy, I'd take Tiger (and so would Watson) as a political move if nothing else. What if you don't pick him and end up getting beat? You'd never hear the end of it. The next two spots are more fun. Holmes is appealing because his power can be paired with anyone and he played on a winning team in '08. I'd want guys in peak form, and right now Holmes is there. And I can't believe Zach Johnson toppled out of the top nine, but he'd be my final pick, and I might even slot him into the final singles match on Sunday.

SENS: Zach Johnson because he's nails in match play. Keegan Bradley and Rickie Fowler because I like the tweaks they've made in their games of late, and because they both seem really fired up about the event.

LYNCH: Given the number of likely rookies, I'd go for anyone who has played a Cup before and who isn't currently on the Champions Tour, which is already overrepresented with the captain and both vice captains.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

"The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul." Empty Re: "The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul."

Post by super_realist Mon May 05, 2014 6:49 pm

Sorry Mac, couldn't be arsed to read it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

"The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul." Empty Re: "The Tour is politically spineless. It is without a soul."

Post by kwinigolfer Mon May 05, 2014 6:57 pm

Mac,
Re: Para 2;
If you want to know the up to date Ryder Cup placings, go to my comment on GPB's thread. These are incorrect, or at least outdated.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon May 05, 2014 8:12 pm

super_realist wrote:Sorry Mac, couldn't be arsed to read it.

Thank you for letting me know.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Mon May 05, 2014 8:30 pm

I think the PGA is going to be different to governing bodies in any other sport due to the social status of the actual game of golf. Let's face it golf is not the sport of the common man. It is the sport of the middle to upper class. Basketball would be the sport of the common man in the US whereas football would be in the rest of the world. How many professional golfers practiced their craft in the hood? They believe the game cannot be seen to have any controversy. It would be beneath them.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon May 05, 2014 9:53 pm

Not following you at all Mac...what are you trying to say? Are you talking about the internal politics of golf or do you think golf organisations should become involved in mainstream politics?

Should golf's officialdom just put out messages to either agree with your political prejudices or apologise for taking different views from you? Would that help??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue May 06, 2014 7:40 am

Mac's hobby-horse getting a workout again I see Rolling Eyes . Almost as boring as the atheist obsession of S_R. If you're trying to make a point, you're not doing it very well. All you're doing is turning off the people whom one might consider to be 'undecided' in this.
I'm sure all the Golf.com writers are absolutely above reproach in both public and personal lives and no-one, ever, on the PGA, European or any other Tour for that matter, has ever done anything altruistic or race-neutral.

Actually, thought you made a mistake. I'm sure you really meant to title the thread as:

"J.B. Holmes won the Wells Fargo Championship, his first win since his 2011 brain surgery."

Would have been a more worthy post tbh.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Tue May 06, 2014 8:22 am

The telling part was the first "offence" the original article mentioned .. Sergio being mentioned above and beyond Steve Williams and Elk. Clearly an agenda here and not the correct one

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 06, 2014 11:37 am

Jas/Navy/Davie

I had no intention other than highlighting an article that was unusually harsh on the PGA tour. I don't know about you guys but I find most PGA tour coverage to be a little sycophantic.

And here we have the tour attacked for many of its policies and decisions. Certainly a contrast to the prevailing view on v2 that Finchem does a fine job ust because he has a few more tournaments than the European tour. There is more to the success of a sports governing body than the cheques the players take home.

As I said in the original post I would have hoped everyone could find a point of interest, and even better maybe offer up an opinion.

I would have thought the lack of transparency in the tours disciplinary procedure would have garnered a few comments.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue May 06, 2014 12:12 pm

Mac,
Think we've talked about it before, without necessarily picking on random acts of intolerance by hand-picked non-Americans.
Perish the thought that similarly offensive remarks, let's call them bubbaisms, by Americans will receive such criticism. They'll most likely actually be thought of as witty, and who cares if they're intolerant or not?
But I DO agree that the Vijay case could well provide a watershed of more public disclosure.

Speaking all of which, did you see that Jonathan Kaye teed it up in a web.commer recently? Perhaps a sign of rehabillitation after whatever he might have dome that REALLY p1ssed off Timmy and his cronies.

Finchem has successfully rebuffed any attempt at disclosure, not just of disciplinary issues but the Tour's finances, with most of the guys who have challenged him either (frozen?) out of the game completely or injured (kneecapped?).

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue May 06, 2014 12:22 pm

Kwini

It might be stretching it to think the American media would attack a player for espousing about god every 5 minutes. I cannot speak for the US press but here in the UK you would not know the tour had a transparency issue from reading the magazines and watching Sky's golf coverage. So do you not agree any article drawing attention to the issue is a good thing. Your weekly musings have been well ahead of the trend on this issue but not everyone has the pleasure and advantage of reading them. If we ever want to see a transparent disciplinary process the media will have had to push the issue and make sure the general golfing public are aware of it.

I have not followed the Jonathan Kaye story, what happened?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue May 06, 2014 3:43 pm

Isn't is a case of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'? the money keeps rolling in so better to wash all the dirty laundry away from prying eyes. Guys like Feherty make a really good living by being sycophantic to the tour.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue May 06, 2014 7:29 pm

Alternative Title: The Tour is a sports organisation conceived and structured to make money to support professional golf, and should not be evaluated or measured in terms of politics.  Let's leave that to the politicians.  Oh wait.  They're the spineless ones.

To demand that a business exposes how it handles discipline is just meddling by those who want a cause and can't be arsed going after the difficult and messy ones.

I wouldn't put up with someone demanding that I publicise how I sack put in place an personal improvement plan before sacking my under-performing sales staff.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue May 06, 2014 7:41 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:Alternative Title: The Tour is a sports organisation conceived and structured to make money to support professional golf, and should not be evaluated or measured in terms of politics.  Let's leave that to the politicians.  Oh wait.  They're the spineless ones.

To demand that a business exposes how it handles discipline is just meddling by those who want a cause and can't be arsed going after the difficult and messy ones.

I wouldn't put up with someone demanding that I publicise how I sack put in place an personal improvement plan before sacking my under-performing sales staff.
Quite.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 pm

Bob_the_Job wrote:Alternative Title: The Tour is a sports organisation conceived and structured to make money to support professional golf, and should not be evaluated or measured in terms of politics.  Let's leave that to the politicians.  Oh wait.  They're the spineless ones.

This is easily my favourite double act on this forum. Mac sets himself up with some dumb argument, and Bob the Job just totally rips it to pieces with well reasoned points delivered with humour and style.

Mac, please continue your role as the clown, your half baked theories provide the material for the best posts on here.  thumbsup

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu May 08, 2014 10:25 am

Ray

You know I didn't write that, don't you?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down