The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wonderful World of TNA

2 posters

Go down

The Wonderful World of TNA Empty The Wonderful World of TNA

Post by Adam D Mon 05 May 2014, 9:31 pm

Its been a little while since I wrote an article on TNA but I felt that the last few months have really needed a comment on. So apologies if this article goes a little of tangent but I feel that its about time that we had some positive news and views on the latest from the Impact Zone.

Now before I start, I would like to say that not all is perfect in TNA – far from it. However, its usually all the negatives that get the headlines and quite frankly the good, and there is a lot of it at the moment, is largely bypassed in favour of yet another potshot.

So lets have a look at some of the things that I feel have been impressed with over the last few months.

Character development

Although there has been many critics about how several of the major names in TNA have been released, they have also done an outstanding job in developing the next breed of stars. Both through vignettes, entrance videos and some interesting storylines, characters that many people thought would never work, have impressed. Even OTT characters like Rockstar Spud, have been getting some great reactions from the Impact Zone crowd. EC3, Samuel Shaw, Gunner, James Storm, The Wolves and even MVP have all been given a lease of life in the last 6 months that many thought would not have imagined would have worked. Each and everyone of these stars have shown real growth. Even characters like Knux have me actually caring about them. Yes, Knux! I am personally really excited about seeing Crazy Steve because apparently, “he’s Crrazzy”!

Mid Card Feuds

Remember when wrestling wasn’t only about the main event? Well TNA seem to have remembered this fact and actually made 3 or 4 interesting feuds below the main event going at any one time – EC3/ Spud/ Willow/ Angle, Bromans vs The Wolves, Sam Shaw vs Anderson, The Beautiful People, Roode vs Bully and my next point.....

Gunner vs Storm

This has been quite simply a brilliant feud. Possibly even being the feud of the year in any fed. Baring in mind this is the midcard between two former tag team partners, this should have been a fairly run of the mill affair. However, everyone involved has been fantastic. Even Gunners dad should be commended for selling the beer bottle shot! Both Gunner and Storm have put on some great matches, that have been both highly physical and hardcore at times. In an era where hardcore is frowned upon, these two have shown how to do a well booked high intensity program. And although Gunner has emerged as a future main eventer, James Storm has also reinvented himself in a fantastic gatekeeper heel role.

Video Promos

Since Jon Gaburick took over the main direction of TNA, the whole presentation of TNA has changed for the better. Jon’s background is in video production and it shows. The montages, the entrances and even the out of arena vignettes have been highly entertaining and something very different to the alternative at WWE. Although it is not to every wrestling fans taste, I feel that it does differentiate the product from its competitors. And for my money, it keeps the programme moving along at pace. The segments such as the “Hunt for Willow” and Anderson visiting Shaws home, have been a breath of fresh air and highly amusing. Why does every feud have to be serious? TNA is doing this type of thing better than anyone else at the moment.

Eric Young, The authority and the backlash

One of the biggest criticisms of TNA has been the blatant copying of WWEs Daniel Bryan storyline against the authority. Yes, I have no doubt that Erics title run has been influenced by the goings on with the other wrestling beard, however, the booking of the TNA champ has been excellent since they pulled the trigger. He has put on some of the best matches for a top belt this year. And more importantly, they have been booked to clean finishes. Yes, it was a homage (or rip off if you prefer), but so far, the post win booking has been better than over in WWE. With the taped storylines in the bag, the similarities will continue. And I have no doubt that Eric will continue to win over the critics on this run. Although many think it was a bad decision to put the belt on him, he really has elevated the title in a very short time already.

(please leave a comment on the v2wrestling site please!)

http://v2wrestling.com/5/post/2014/05/the-wonderful-world-of-tna.html

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Wonderful World of TNA Empty Re: The Wonderful World of TNA

Post by dyrewolfe Tue 06 May 2014, 1:17 pm

Can't really add much to that...excellent article.

I've really been enjoying TNA more just lately. As you say, they've made the shows more than just about the titles and its made for much more compelling viewing.

Spud and EC3 nearly always manage to make me laugh out loud...I think they've replaced Daniels & Kazarian quite well as the "humorous heels", even if they don't have the same in-ring ability.

The Storm / Gunner feud has been truly epic, with both guys delivering utterly convincing performances.

Completely agree with your comments about EY. I thought his title win was a bad piece of booking, but since then he's defended it like a true champion...a nice change from the previous heel champs. Also like his change in character, from general crazy guy to serious-but-fun.

Still don't like Bromans, but then I don't like annoying, whiny heels (I prefer them smart and devious). That said, The Wolves and Sanada have formed a hell of a partership and watching them against Robbie, Jessie and DJ Zema is usually entertaining.

Even the Knockouts are more interesting now, with the reformation of Beautiful People and the addition of Brittany as a sidekick for Madison Rayne. Add Gail Kim to the mix and you have an actual female wrestling scene there.

I think they're handling the MVP / Dixie power struggle very nicely, giving both just enough camera time to let us know whats going on, without it dominating every aspect of the shows.

Still waiting to see where they're going with this Knux and Crazy Steve thing though. I'll reserve judgement for now.

Who was that guy who caught up with Magnus backstage? That looks potentially very interesting and could signal another character change for the former champ...maybe even a new tag team?

All in all, pretty good so far. Tried to leave a comment on your website, but for some reason it wouldn't add it (when I hit Submit, it just reloaded the page without my comment).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down