The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jimmy Ellis - Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !!

+7
Strongback
Hammersmith harrier
88Chris05
3fingers
John Bloody Wayne
Steffan
TRUSSMAN66
11 posters

Go down

Jimmy Ellis -  Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !! Empty Jimmy Ellis - Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 May - 6:24

Of Alzheimer's.................Beat Chuvalo, Bonavena and Quarry to win the WBA Heavyweight title before losing a unification to Frazier....

Lost to Ali also so unfortunately is probably more known for his defeats than his victories.........Probably immortalized for the famous Ali quote.."If Jimmy Ellis even dreams of beating me he should apologise"...

A gifted fighter and a respected one....

In the usual tradition of honoring former Heavyweight champions on here when they pass as in Dokes, Frazier et al.....

Whisky  Here is to you Jimmy..........Thanks for the memories and rest in peace...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Ellis -  Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !! Empty Re: Jimmy Ellis - Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !!

Post by Steffan Wed 7 May - 6:26

R.I.P. Jimmy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Jimmy Ellis -  Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !! Empty Re: Jimmy Ellis - Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !!

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 7 May - 6:30

Rest In Peace. If I'm not mistaken the only time Angelo Dundee wasn't in Ali's corner was when he was in Jimmy's. Was never really a full heavyweight, but he mixed with the best.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Wed 7 May - 6:57

I doubt he died of alzheimers, did he forget to breath? Bad taste, I know, but there's seriousness in my question.

A brave man whos record reads like a whos who of heavyweight boxings golden era. Rest in Peace, your history makes you immortal.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 7 May - 7:03

A tough man, for sure. Regardless of what you think about the decision, Patterson broke this guy's nose in round two - and Ellis' response was to come right back and stagger Patterson in the very next round. Still there another twelve rounds after that, of course.

R.I.P
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Wed 7 May - 7:10

Amazing really Chris when you think he was fighting at middleweight a few years earlier.

R.I.P.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 7 May - 7:47

3fingers wrote: I doubt he died of alzheimers, did he forget to breath? Bad taste, I know, but there's seriousness in my question.

A brave man whos record reads like a whos who of heavyweight boxings golden era. Rest in Peace, your history makes you immortal.

I don't think Alzheimer's is a cause of death in sufferers. Old people with Alzheimer's can live on for decades.

The link between head trauma and Alzheimer's seems to be becoming more understood. Lots of sports are having to face up to this issue.

RIP Jimmy

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Wed 7 May - 7:49

It's a real shame, The actor Jimmy Ellis died only two months ago. Uncanny.
May he RIP
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by rapidringsroad Wed 7 May - 8:13

Jimmy Ellis accomponied Ali when Ali brought a bunch of Olympic hopefulls over to New Zealand.Ali did a bit of showboating in the ring with Jimmy Ellis and Joe Bugner. I remember seeing Jimmy running down the road on my way to work.RIP Jimmy.

rapidringsroad

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 7 May - 8:14

Some good memories you have rapid..........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 7 May - 23:29

Watched his bout with childhood friend Ali a couple of weeks ago.

Paterson, Frazier, Lyle, Quarry, Norton, Williams, Cooper and now Ellis RIP to another piece of a great era.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Thu 8 May - 0:48

You're friends with Ali?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 8 May - 0:50

3fingers wrote:You're friends with Ali?

When ONETWO was a female poster Ali fancied him.. Jimmy Ellis -  Former WBA Heavyweight champion died today at 74 !! 3559488474 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 8 May - 3:06

RIP Jimmy.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down