The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ceceil Leitch 2?

+3
McLaren
George1507
gaelgowfer
7 posters

Go down

Ceceil Leitch 2? Empty Ceceil Leitch 2?

Post by gaelgowfer Thu 8 May - 17:32

I've been having some issues with my swing in that I'm having a problem finding, as it were, the biting point at the top of my swing.  So, I decided to play two balls around my course today in an effort to find a solution.  Whilst mulling things over on the 7th tee, I recalled the You Tube link to Cecil Leitch's unique low swing plane I put up here last week and thought, just for the sheer hell of it, I'm going to give that a go!

Flippin' 'eck, suddenly my drives were going away with a bit more zip and my irons had a nice crisp feel to them.  Of course, I could wake up tomorrow and find it was all a dream but I can't wait to get back to the course to find out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYMoyEeSVCE

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Ceceil Leitch 2? Empty Re: Ceceil Leitch 2?

Post by George1507 Thu 8 May - 22:20

Well done Gael.

The pro that taught me when I was a lad told me he had seen Cecil Leitch play many times. He said she was the best player he'd ever seen. This from someone who competed in the Open Championship and boasted James Braid and Harry Vardon as foursome partners.

I hope you emulate Cecil!

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 9 May - 1:36

Gael did you manage to incorporate Cecil's awesome hip turn into your swing?

The slow motion of her transition shows how much energy she must have created. Is even McIlroys transition that energetic?

They user who uploaded the Cecil Leitch video has also uploaded many more swings of old;

https://www.youtube.com/user/h1e2x3/videos

Really interesting to watch them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 9 May - 9:45

George1507 wrote:Well done Gael.

The pro that taught me when I was a lad told me he had seen Cecil Leitch play many times. He said she was the best player he'd ever seen. This from someone who competed in the Open Championship and boasted James Braid and Harry Vardon as foursome partners.

I hope you emulate Cecil!

Thanks George.  I wish!

Wow, nice little anecdote there btw.

Cecil Leitch tried to encourage other female golfers to attack the shot, something which I suspect was probably not considered to be a very genteel way to behave back in those days.  Shocked Cool

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 9 May - 9:54

Whatever works for you Gael. No rules and all that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 9 May - 10:30

McLaren wrote:Gael did you manage to incorporate Cecil's awesome hip turn into your swing?

Still a bit of work to do on that Mac.  Wink  Very Happy     Early days of course but I think the lower swing plane has allowed me to extend the width of my backswing giving me more time to transition.

Incidentally, interesting to note there was no swing footage of Joyce Wethered on your link so, ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivo0n49U3aI ... Bobby Jones is on this too and, oddly enough, his swing plane looks to be a little on the low side too.  What a beautifully balanced swing.

Joyce has a much more upright swing but she does look like quite a tall gal.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Fri 9 May - 10:33

super_realist wrote:Whatever works for you Gael. No rules and all that.

Try telling that to a teaching professional!

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Fri 9 May - 11:08

Years ago we visited joyce's old home (now a NT property) where they had a fascinating display of her golfing life. I'd never heard of her before. I'm pretty sure there was a letter or transcript of an interview with bobby jones where he said she had the best swing of anyone he'd ever seen , male or female.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 9 May - 11:14

gaelgowfer wrote:
super_realist wrote:Whatever works for you Gael. No rules and all that.

Try telling that to a teaching professional!

Plenty swings aren't textbook or conventional. Furyk, Fowler, Mullet Watson (I don't believe Watson's claim he's never had a lesson) and whilst none of them are serial winners, all that matters is where the clubhead is at the point of impact.

If this swing does that successfully, keep using it.

I'm not a massive fan of Women's golf, but from a technical point of view it makes an interesting watch. I reckon your average club golfer could do better trying to emulate the easy, smooth and "simple" swings of many of the women rather than trying to smash it like their PGA "heroes".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 9 May - 12:55

From watching some of these old videos does anyone else think that the female and male swings look more similar than they do today?

Could this be a consequence of technology favoring power over accuracy and shot making? (essentially making golf more about male attributes?)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri 9 May - 13:32

Cecil's swing reminds me of Matt Kuchar (without the inane grin)

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Fri 9 May - 14:11

A lot of moving parts. She was obviously talented to get back to the ball as consistently as she obviously did. From the top though, she's pretty classic. Gave a whack by the look of it.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down