The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arise Sir Jonny....

+13
aucklandlaurie
Jimpy
fa0019
offload
doctor_grey
thomh
Hound of Harrow
whocares
Scratch
Poorfour
nathan
Cyril
No9
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Arise Sir Jonny.... - Page 2 Empty Arise Sir Jonny....

Post by No9 Mon May 19, 2014 6:25 pm

First topic message reminder :

Jonny Wilkinson to be knighted in Queens Birthday honours....

... you heard it here first...

king

No9

Back to top Go down

Arise Sir Jonny.... - Page 2 Empty Re: Arise Sir Jonny....

Post by Scratch Mon May 26, 2014 6:17 pm

Of course you are! There are surgeons, God and then the rest of us mere mortals. Explains why you understand ego i suppose.

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue May 27, 2014 2:12 am

I don't know mate.  For me as an orthopod, if I were to screw up any procedure, large or small, it would be very hard to live with (let alone the person I messed up).  So, I think I am driven by a fear of failure as much as anything else.  Which means I have a lot to be afraid of!  Fundamentally, I am a carpenter with really expensive tools.  

To be serious for a moment, in the army we had a med course discussing what drives certain military personality types in different combat and high stress situations.  Ego is at the top of the list in many areas.  In some cases, this leads directly to decisions about risk with people in different situations.  It must be the same with many of the 'driven' personality types.  All about the ego, but also how people are able to deal with it or find the right balance.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Tue May 27, 2014 8:46 am

doctor_grey wrote:I don't know mate.  For me as an orthopod, if I were to screw up any procedure, large or small, it would be very hard to live with (let alone the person I messed up).  So, I think I am driven by a fear of failure as much as anything else.  Which means I have a lot to be afraid of!  Fundamentally, I am a carpenter with really expensive tools.  

To be serious for a moment, in the army we had a med course discussing what drives certain military personality types in different combat and high stress situations.  Ego is at the top of the list in many areas.  In some cases, this leads directly to decisions about risk with people in different situations.  It must be the same with many of the 'driven' personality types.  All about the ego, but also how people are able to deal with it or find the right balance.

Having been there on numerous occasions, i can assure you that ego was the last thing on my mind...

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue May 27, 2014 9:41 am

I suspect the point he was making was that the people have an ego - rather than make decisions to satisfy their ego. Certainly if you look at military history you can find many decisions, both heroic and disastrous, that were in large part driven by the ego of the person involved.

Of course we all have an ego of some description.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue May 27, 2014 10:30 am

Nothing wrong with being confident in our own abilities.

For a good example of an ego in sport can be seen by watching Michael Jordan's NBA HoF induction online.
The guy slated everyone. The word humble never even crossed his mind but that didn't mean he wasn't a team player.

He was the best, perhaps the greatest of all time and it was his competitive nature which drove him all throughout his career. He never apologised for it and thats what it took to be the best.

Yet as mighty as he was on the court... he often wasn't the go-to man in the clutch moments from outside. He was too closely marked and their were better shooters then him more likely to make the shot... and he accepted it willingly.

The guy was addicted to winning, winning at all costs and if that meant bringing in other players then thats what it took. In his early career he tried beating teams on his own admittedly and he always got beat. He evolved.

Having an ego doesn't necessarily mean you're not a team player, allowing your ego to take over your decision making however does harm.. yet I can't really recall a moment when JW did this.
Yes he took a lot of drop goals in attacking positions but he comes from the ideology that if you score every time you enter the oppositions half you will win.. and lets be honest, its a pretty robust ploy.

If its not on or its taking too long, take the 3 everytime. Don't waste time.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue May 27, 2014 9:39 pm

Jimpy wrote:
doctor_grey wrote:I don't know mate.  For me as an orthopod, if I were to screw up any procedure, large or small, it would be very hard to live with (let alone the person I messed up).  So, I think I am driven by a fear of failure as much as anything else.  Which means I have a lot to be afraid of!  Fundamentally, I am a carpenter with really expensive tools.  

Having been there on numerous occasions, i can assure you that ego was the last thing on my mind...
Yeah. Me too. Understand.
But there are others.

LondonTiger wrote:I suspect the point he was making was that the people have an ego - rather than make decisions to satisfy their ego. Certainly if you look at military history you can find many decisions, both heroic and disastrous, that were in large part driven by the ego of the person involved.

Of course we all have an ego of some description.
Thanks, mate, for translating what i wrote into understandable English.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scratch Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Jimpy wrote:

Which Regt Jimpy?

Scratch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimpy Wed May 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Scratch wrote:
Jimpy wrote:

Which Regt Jimpy?

9 Sqn (Para) Royal Engineers.

Jimpy

Back to top Go down

Post by sickofwendy Sat May 31, 2014 9:27 pm

Although his highness has signed on as Toulon coach I really hope England use him in some sort of consultancy role.he has so much to offer in so many areas.
A truly great man

sickofwendy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2