The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship

+9
thegooch7
Voice of the Beehive
Corporalhumblebucket
Good Golly I'm Olly
Mat
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
Shelsey93
packofwolves
13 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Surrey vs Worcester LV= County Championship 01 June

Post by packofwolves Sat 31 May 2014, 1:40 pm

First topic message reminder :

Squads have been announced for the game starting tomorrow. A strong showing from the Worcestershire academy in both sides....!

Surrey:- Gary Wilson (capt), Zafar Ansari, Gareth Batty, Rory Burns, Jade Dernbach, Steven Davies, Matthew Dunn, Arun Harinath, Aneesh Kapil, Jason Roy, Vikram Solanki, Chris Tremlett

Worcester:- Darryl Mitchell (capt), Matt Pardoe, Moeen Ali, Tom Fell, Alexei Kervezee, Ross Whiteley, Ben Cox (wkt), Joe Leach, Jack Shantry, Saeed Ajmal, Charlie Morris & Richie Oliver (12th man)

Worcestershire have already announced that they will be unchanged from the rain ruined affair at Tunbridge Wells and will be hoping to be able to complete an away CC game for the first time this season having had the better of the three rain affected draws in Hampshire, Glamorgan and Kent. The Surrey squad is an interesting one with the return of Solanki, who I understood to be out with injury for some time to come. I generally find it nigh on impossible to predict Surrey bowling attacks due to your embarrassment of riches in the seam department, but I expect ex Worcester lad Kapil is probably the most likely to miss out?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:06 pm

Davies-watch - he does indeed look rather glum at third man. Roy continues to be the sole slip despite the presence of two non-keeping keepers if Burns is included.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship - Page 2 Empty Re: surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship

Post by packofwolves Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:21 pm

Very handy knock from the keeping keeper Cox. He has stepped up a level this season with both bat and gloves - he was outstanding behind the stumps in the T20s against Notts and Northants.starting to suggest he may fulfill his potential. Here's hoping he has a good day with the gloves today.

Looks like you were bang on with your prediction of 480 Guildford. Enjoy watching the metronome that is Jack Shantry having a bowl. Classical.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

327 needed then!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 02 Jun 2014, 2:43 pm

Harinath out! Caught at leg slip off Shantry who had caused problems earlier in the over drilling the ball in. Harinath seemed very unhappy - some suggestion the ball came off his thigh.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 3:01 pm

Great stuff from Worcs with the unusual field set for Shantry working. Looked like a clear deflection to me though I guess he would have walked straight away if it had come loudly off the bat, so it may have been the hard bit of the thigh pad.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 02 Jun 2014, 3:09 pm

The left arm seamer Shantry continuing to cause problems for our left handed batsmen. Bowling over the wicket from the Pavilion end, he's drilling the ball into and across Burns and Ansari. Noticeable leg side field although not sufficiently Bodline to upset correspondent Shelsey, I hope!  Wink 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 02 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

44 - 1 at tea.  Burns and Ansari grinding it out.  Risk of getting totally becalmed against the spinners.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Mon 02 Jun 2014, 3:55 pm

44-1 off 21 overs at tea - usual quick batting from Surrey. What happened to the short boundary?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 3:57 pm

I did manage to snap what I've dubbed the 'Shantry-line' field. Hardly Harold Larwood but quite unusual in the modern game. Full marks to Worcs for innovation.

surrey vs Worcestershire LV=County Championship - Page 2 Image_12

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 02 Jun 2014, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the snap, Shelsey.

Currently we seem to have nothing in mind against Ajmal other than survival. 46/1 off 24.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 02 Jun 2014, 4:31 pm

I shall repeat my concerns of last week's match, some of our guys just bat too slowly to ever cause anyone any problems. Of course there are times to 'dig in' and times when scoring is very difficult but Ansari and Harinath inparticular seem to find this in every single innings. I just can't see them becoming top performers for us if they continue with a strike rate of below 30 every time. Burns seems to be heading that way this season too although he is out of form and showed his class last season. I do, however, have more sympathy for them after a 20 ball 0 I got on Saturday afternoon!

My thought yesterday morning when Worcs were shooting off at 5 an over in the morning session was - what kind of rate would our top order be scoring against our bowling? always feels like the opposition bowl well and we give way more scoring opportunites but is it more that the batsmen look to get after our bowling more than we do to them? I suppose it's a little of both.

Anyway, hopefully Ansari and Burns can kick on and they may find it easier against Ajmal and co the longer they stay in.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 02 Jun 2014, 4:55 pm

Hopefully Ansari is the new Ken Barrington Wink - although he did get dropped by England for slow scoring!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 02 Jun 2014, 5:10 pm

Half century for Burns.  clap  Have been a few boundaries in recent overs.

117 - 1 after 43 overs.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 02 Jun 2014, 6:09 pm

Burns goes to the penultimate ball of the day Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 02 Jun 2014, 8:10 pm

How'd Joe Leach bowl today, to Guildford/Pack/Anyone who saw him? Looked a bit expensive on the figures, but I always like seeing Shropshire lads do well. With him, Shantry and Oliver all involved in some way,plus the two Under 19 lads who I hope will see some game time after their exams, it's a good era for it!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Mon 02 Jun 2014, 9:42 pm

JDizzle - Nothing special from Leach. Not particularly great, not particularly bad.

A bit of a hard day to sum up today with Worcs pushing on to an excellent total before Surrey (almost) resisted Ajmal throughout the evening session.

Ali continued where he left off before being well caught by Wilson the ball after being dropped on the boundary by Batty. Ross Whiteley played an eye-catching attacking knock and Ben Cox - technically correct but with some shots in his locker too - impressed. Surrey were perhaps a little sloppy in the field but nothing terrible. I though the bowling was pretty decent after yesterday morning.

Shantry and Morris created pressure with the new ball, Shantry having Harinath caught at leg-gully as he deployed his leg-side dominated field as he swung it across the all left-handed top three. Burns and Ansari resisted Ajmal quite well - never entirely comfortable but never tied in knots - before Burns buckled in the last over of the day after Daryl Mitchell through men around the bat.

With showers more likely as the week goes on Surrey just need to keep batting to save this game. I would think the win is off the table but they could yet collapse in a heap to Ajmal tomorrow and end up following-on.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 12:15 am

I think Burns' wicket in the last over threatens to give the match a different complexion. From a fairly assured position, we're now rather looking over our shoulder. One or two more wickets in the first hour and it's going to be difficult to avoid the follow on. I fear that Ajmal may thrive on that late wicket.

JDizzle - Leach looked useful but it was pretty clear he was supporting actor rather than leading man. Not surprising with Shantry doing his legside operation and Ajmal's trickery demanding centre stage.

On Carrot's comments about slow scoring, he definitely has a point although I'm more sympathetic than him to the batsmen. Yes, the batsmen were very slow against Essex but don't forget we were in a real mess at 45/3. Similarly today, needing almost 330 to just avoid the follow on, we were soon 7/1 and facing an increased uphill battle. From such situations, survival takes on an increased importance and a greater one than scoring rates. Nonetheless, scoring rates shouldn't go out the window as much as they probably have.

I raised this with Alec Stewart at the member's forum, albeit not as forcibly as Carrot probably would have done. Stewie took the point but emphasised that the (CC) team was in transition and the most important thing currently to do and learn further was not to chuck your wicket away. He particularly praised Roy here and referred to his 'increased maturity'. Stewart particularly commented upon the batting difficulties for both sides in the recent match at Cheltenham and our approach there. The plan was to establish a lead of 70, almost regardless of the time it took, which he believed would enable us to achieve victory. Before rain ruined everything, his suggestion was that we were on the right road to doing that. Stewart did appear to further suggest that an increased scoring rate would be encouraged and worked upon but that we still had to further learn to be at the wicket to do that.

To his credit, Stewart is keen for us not to just get promotion but for us to be ready to stay there when we do. Improvement (however you define that) is therefore being sought at CC level for this season as the top priority rather than promotion at all costs.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:53 am

No cricket watching for me today or tomorrow. At home and out at work for meetings. May have chosen the right days there - raining here at the moment. Very much doubt there'll be a full day's play at the Oval.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Shelsey93 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:55 am

Pitch covers on at the moment and looking a bit bleak, though it always does through the tinted windows of the press box here. Forecasts suggest we should see some play today but quite possibly none tomorrow. Realistically this game will be drawn unless we get a good amount today.

Shelsey93

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 1:58 pm

First wicket of the day has fallen following a delayed start at ten past one. Worcester have dismissed the first of the old boys, Solanki run out for 14 after initially lifting the scoring rate. Davies has joined Ansari, who has progressed to a half century, at the crease.
A shame about the rather bleak forecast as this one is shaping up into an intriguing contest.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:00 pm

And one brings two! The out of sorts Davies caught behind off Shantry for 7. 174/4

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:11 pm

Now Shantry has his third wicket of the innings, Roy perishing in the same manner as Davies for 5.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:19 pm

And a fourth, captain Wilson caught by his opposite number Mitchell off Shantry for 1.
The Surrey batsmen seem to be struggling to settle Against Shants, I'm presuming he's getting the ball to move around a bit under the cloud cover?

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:21 pm

Sorry folks.

North caught Ali first ball. Five wickets for Jack Shantry. As I'm aware that the majority of my fellow posters are Surrey supporters I think I'll desist with the updates now, otherwise I'll have no one to talk to.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

North should read Norah.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:35 pm

You chat away, Pack.

I'm not at the ground today but back at home now having been out elsewhere earlier. I'll be tuning into Churchy and Bradders (really like him) soon.

I did fear that wickets might tumble today but thought Ajmal would be more involved. As I said last night, the loss of Burns in yesterday's final over put a different complexion on the game and probably further ignited Worcs' hopes of victory.

PS Pack - look forward to your own input on your 'Test Spinner' thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

Bradders is a true gent and wonderful to listen to, I've yet to speak to someone with a bad word to say about him. I do enjoy churchy and Johnny barron when we play Surrey though - very entertaining the pair of them.

With regards the spinner thread I am enjoying watching the hive mind promulgate a thesis at the moment. I'm trying to bring together a reasoned opinion of my own to put before the group in good time!

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 03 Jun 2014, 2:51 pm

DEAR OH DEAR

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:11 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:DEAR OH DEAR

What you on about, JimBob? We're on the verge of getting a batting point!  Wink Rolling Eyes 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:16 pm

Tremlett is playing a good hand for Surrey here, with a flamboyant innings of 3 not out from 60 balls at present.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:19 pm

packofwolves wrote:Tremlett is playing a good hand for Surrey here, with a flamboyant innings of 3 not out from 60 balls at present.

Don't tell Carrot!  Very Happy 

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:32 pm

204-9 now - what more can be said that hasn't been said before about this Surrey 'team'?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm

206 all out. Jack Shantry with 6/53. Excellent figures. Ansari left stranded on 77 presumably wondering what happened to his colleagues in the top order. It's a very strange looking scorecard that. Two scores of 70 odd in the top 3 and then little else from the rest.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Tue 03 Jun 2014, 3:45 pm

Good knock from Extras, third top scorer!

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 03 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
jimbobgooner wrote:DEAR OH DEAR

What you on about, JimBob? We're on the verge of getting a batting point!  Wink Rolling Eyes 
 Yahoo 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 4:46 pm

Ansari was dropped at leg slip by Fell off Shantry when the score was 26/1.

Now 37/1. Ajmal and Leach bowling. Ajmal reported to be getting some turn out of the footmarks. Not surprised - they were noticeable when I had a gander at the wicket at tea yesterday.

Feel we're going to need rain tomorrow to save this game ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 03 Jun 2014, 5:08 pm

another stupid  Run out  furious 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by chichestersurryfan Tue 03 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

Well...what can we say.....having been a strong proponent of giving the youngsters a chance....we need to stick by them... Clearly this season in 4 day cricket is going to be a long hard struggle....we'll do well to finish outside the bottom 2 or 3... But I think we've got to stick by the team in general...and hope that some of the youngsters come on...and aren't too badly scarred by this chastening experience!...I'd still rather have this team, than one with ageing professionals approaching their retirement and trousering their pay packets without contributing that much to the club.....

chichestersurryfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 03 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

You are missing quite a few players for this game as well ain't you?

Sibley, Curran, your overseas?
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 03 Jun 2014, 6:44 pm

Ansari has batted all day for 77* and 50* as well as bringing up 1000th First Class runs.  clap clap clap clap 
the only bright spot on a poor day

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue 03 Jun 2014, 6:58 pm

Unless the weather people have got it all wrong, we've managed to get a draw out of this one. Well played Ansari.

Olly - don;t think Sibley would have made any difference - hardly scored a run this season.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:Ansari has batted all day for 77* and 50* as well as bringing up 1000th First Class runs.  clap clap clap clap 
the only bright spot on a poor day

JimBob is right to applaud Ansari. Regardless of the quality of the bowling (and it sure appears Shantry was on the money), it's always very difficult for a batsman to maintain concentration and keep going when all the others around him are falling like flies.

I'll await tonight's Tales from the Press Room with interest and won't say much else now other than it is especially maddening to lose two top order batsmen to run outs when battling to save the game.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by packofwolves Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:18 pm

A day which Worcestershire will be largely delighted with. Having started the day with the game very evenly poised their bowling performance in reducing Surrey from their overnight 134/2 to 206 all out put them firmly in charge. Jack Shantry continued to take on considerable responsibility as leader of the pack - responsibility that he has excelled with since the retirement of Alan Richardson - and returned exemplary figures of 6 for 53 from 25.5 overs.

However, with rain likely to decimate the final day, the draw looks the most likely outcome and Worcestershire's push for promotion will in all probability suffer at the hands of the elements once more when they have managed to forge a match winning situation. If the last day here is lost to rain not one of Worcester's first four away games in the County Championship will have seen a positive result (2 days lost at Southampton, nearly 3 at Tunbridge Wells & 1 at Cardiff). Obviously the weather is something that every county has to contend with but Mitchell & co must be wondering which members of the squad are hiding shards of broken mirror in their kit bags.

packofwolves

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

Ansari appears to be the bright spark on a very disappointing day for Surrey. I stand by my point about scoring rate but I should add that I am only really concerned about Harinath and Ansari in this regard and I feel as the latter gets more confidence he'll score more quickly anyway (his rate in second innings today was fine).

What's up with Meaker btw? Feel like I've missed something.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:41 pm

Carrot - Meaker update and a few other things from yesterday's members' forum meeting posted on the 'Surrey news and article' thread last night.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Voice of the Beehive Tue 03 Jun 2014, 9:48 pm

It's very easy to think that Worcestershire are only flying high because they've got Saeed Ajmal but this match has proved what has been true all along that they are far from a one man team. I'm afraid I have regularly underestimated them over the years and again it looks like they are a very good bet to return to Division One.
In fact even with so many matches remaining Hampshire and Worcestershire seem head and shoulders above the other teams.

As for my own team even playing seven batsmen the batting seems so fragile and of course the tail has been brittle for several seasons now especially since Batty lost his powers with the willow. Amla's return will help of course.

What a performance by Ansari. I've no longer got any idea whereabouts in the order he should be batting.

I await seeing the two run outs on the highlights although I very much doubt I will be any less angry after seeing them. Since health and safety wouldn't allow me to do what I'd like if I was coach I would bring in automatic fines for run outs when trying to save a game in four day cricket.

Voice of the Beehive

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 03 Jun 2014, 11:27 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:Hopefully Ansari is the new Ken Barrington Wink - although he did get dropped by England for slow scoring!

Ansari the clear plus point from today. In his two not out innings he has so far batted for 351 balls.  clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:51 am

Oh dear - play due to resume at 12.20! Can we survive??! Shocked 

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed 04 Jun 2014, 1:11 pm

According to cricinfo, play is now to due to start at 1.10.

25 miles or so south of the ground, the sky is covered with low clouds - some dark and threatening, others brighter. Looks like the weather could go either way. To be fair, Worcs deserve the rain to hold off ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Wed 04 Jun 2014, 1:55 pm

A few overs between the rain - Surrey moved on to 127 -3 with Ansari up to 60*.  Due to start again at 1355.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next