The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New South African Test Captain announced today.

+3
Good Golly I'm Olly
guildfordbat
kingraf
7 posters

Go down

New South African Test Captain announced today. Empty New South African Test Captain announced today.

Post by kingraf Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:29 am

Big day in our cricketing history, our new test captain is being announced today - smart money is on one of Amla, duPlessis, or ABdV. I'd personally like to see Faf get the nod, as he's the better leader of the three - but I think they'll go with Divvy or Amla. They are probably the faces of S.A. cricket, so it will please fans, while an Amla pick would please the government as well (plus he captained the Dolphins to a FC title at 21). Thoughts?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

New South African Test Captain announced today. Empty Re: New South African Test Captain announced today.

Post by guildfordbat Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:35 am

Hi Raf - there's a take on this and Amla from myself and Shelsey last night on the 'Surrey news and articles' domestic cricket thread.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

New South African Test Captain announced today. Empty Re: New South African Test Captain announced today.

Post by kingraf Tue 03 Jun 2014, 10:47 am

Just saw it mate. I like Amla, and he's probably got the brain and nous to succeed as the skipper, but I'd infinitely prefer Faf.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 03 Jun 2014, 12:24 pm

On a completely unrelated note, Graeme Smith has blasted Ian Chappells views on leadership as archaic!

Chappell said he couldn't see Cook or Dhoni beating Clarke, obviously barring those times last year when Cook and Dhoni led there teams to wins over Clarke
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 05 Jun 2014, 3:33 pm

Hashim Amla it is. Hashim is an interesting choice for sure. But I am not sure I like the split captaincy system as is used by South Africa. Can lead to too much of confusion as all the 3 men play all formats.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Thu 05 Jun 2014, 4:51 pm

amla is a good choice for test captaincy ......I had proposed his name some time back....steady and stable temperament....perfect for tests.

ABDV is too frivolous.
I believe though they need just one captain for limited overs and must make up their mind between Faf or abdv
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Thu 05 Jun 2014, 6:57 pm

Faf not clearly establishing himself in ODIs might be keeping them thinking, KPF.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 06 Jun 2014, 10:50 am

Can't see Faf getting into the ODI XI as long as Kallis is there.

Amla, De Kock, Kallis, ABDV, Duminy, Miller. Where's the room for Faf? Duminy is a world class limited overs batter unlike in Tests. Miller hasn't been as consistent for SA as he is in the IPL but his ODI record is still better than Faf's and is their best bet for the finisher's role at 6. The only way I see Faf getting in is if he bats at 3 and Kallis moves down to 7 replacing Mclaren as the seam bowling allrounder (which is what I think JHK is in limited overs cricket these days). Kallis, in his current form, at 3, just stalls the momentum but I don't see them making that move.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Fri 06 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

If anything, I'm surprised they didn't go for Faf in tests. I know he has played only 14 tests but he has firmly established himself in that format unlike ODIs and is now by far the 3rd best batsman in their test side and is in no danger of being dropped in the forseeable future and he has greater captaincy credentials than either Amla or ABDV. I think he would've been a good bet in tests although Amla is not a bad choice if he has genuinely agreed to take up the role and hasn't been coerced into it for want of options. They can ill afford to lose Amla the batsman at this stage so I hope he has thoughtfully consented to this.

Agree with KPF on ABDV. And "frivolous" aptly describes his captaincy. He would've been a bad choice in tests. In fact, I don't think he should be the ODI captain either. Why not try maybe Duminy in ODIs or of course Faf if he is allowed to bat at 3?

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Fri 06 Jun 2014, 4:32 pm

Shanky, if the side has Kallis and Duminy in the top 6, they can certainly accommodate an additional batter. Kallis at 3, AB at 4, Faf at 5 and JP at 6. Miller could be the finisher at 7, and with his inconsistencies, he's more suited to a role at 7 rather than at 6.
Steyn, Morkel, Parnell and the spinner to make up the rest of the lineup.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Sat 07 Jun 2014, 3:10 am

Faf is a top order batter in LOIs. Don't think he is suited to 5 and his record testifies that. And I honestly fail to see what Kallis offers at 3 in ODIs in his current form. He should play as a seam bowling allrounder.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 07 Jun 2014, 7:55 pm

Kallis has a massive reputation, and I doubt whether SA will have him down the order in a bowling heavy role. Faf used to bat lower down the order earlier, I am sure he can make the switch.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by ShankyCricket Mon 09 Jun 2014, 9:13 am

And wasn't too successful in it.

ShankyCricket

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView Mon 09 Jun 2014, 2:37 pm

It was expected for me, SA selectors didn't like the way De'Villiers come open before any formal announcement that he is ready for the test captaincy if offered, in few days we heard from the administration side that "nobody gets the hot seat straight off", finally I also felt Haroon Rashid played a part in pushing Amla over ABD, all politics in my view.

Outside politics, its also ABD stupid call in saying he will have to give up gloves if selected as captain, I am pretty sure SA selectors didn't entertain that and wanted ABD to keep and hence leave the mandate of captaincy to Amla.

DirectView

Back to top Go down

Post by KP_fan Mon 09 Jun 2014, 6:57 pm

DirectView wrote:It was expected for me, SA selectors didn't like the way De'Villiers come open before any formal announcement that he is ready for the test captaincy if offered, in few days we heard from the administration side that "nobody gets the hot seat straight off", finally I also felt Haroon Rashid played a part in pushing Amla over ABD, all politics in my view.

Outside politics, its also ABD stupid call in saying he will have to give up gloves if selected as captain, I am pretty sure SA selectors didn't entertain that and wanted ABD to keep and hence leave the mandate of captaincy to Amla.

all that lose talking confirms he is not captaincy material
KP_fan
KP_fan

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Mon 09 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm

AB is a great batsman, but his captain hasn't really been on the mark. Between him and Hashim, I'd always go for Amla. AB seems to get too confused as captain.......

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down