The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan vs Mayweather at Wembley?

+19
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Steffan
compelling and rich
tunes666
catchweight
superflyweight
Alistair
trottb
Pedro147
Boxtthis
Rowley
Scottrf
hogey
Derbymanc
TopHat24/7
Rodney
bellchees
ONETWOFOREVER
shenglong2014
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Khan vs Mayweather at Wembley? Empty Khan vs Mayweather at Wembley?

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:00 am

Boxing sports journalist Colin Hart stated on Ringside tonight that the only fight that would fill Wembley again would be if Mayweather agreed to fight Khan. Firstly do you agree that this would fill Wembley? Would this be bigger than Froch v Groves and finally is there any other fight out there that would fill Wembley stadium?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Khan vs Mayweather at Wembley? Empty Re: Khan vs Mayweather at Wembley?

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:10 am

Khan is not liked over here mate. Its sad but he turns fans off for some reason but they will come out to see Mayweather if he manages to rub the public up the wrong way with his ''lifestyle'' as he calls it.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:51 am

It would sell out in a heart beat I imagine.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:02 am

I'd imagine it would sell out as quick if not quicker than the Groves vs Froch fight. Some great domestic matchups to be contested but none of the magnitude of last Saturdays fight.

Quigg vs Frampton: Possibly a 02 arena sell out fight or outdoor event in Ireland

Froch vs Degale: Again an arena show

Unless the likes of Saunders,Degale, young Smith & Eubank Jnr stir up some tasty rivalries cant see Wembley being needed for a while.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:12 am

Think it'll need a bigger undercard to sell it, but could probably do 60k.

PBF has said he'd like to do it. You can never tell with what Floyd says, but in fairness, for someone so at the top of his game, that's achieved everything, and has the ego to match - selling out a giant sports stadium is probably the only thing he hasn't done.

What are Vegas crowds, 25k??

Can't believe he wouldn't be tempted with triple that.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:39 am

Would he get a visa ? Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:47 am

Depends on the ticket prices, but think there wouldn't be that much of a problem. The little underdog fighting the big bad number 1 in the world. Think it would sell out in a heartbeat, especially with the casual boxing fan

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:53 am

Mayweather would fill it, lets be honest very few would be coming to see Khan. Without a big name ticket selling opponent Khan would struggle to sell out Wembley Arena let alone the Stadium.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:35 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Khan is not liked over here mate. Its sad but he turns fans off for some reason but they will come out to see Mayweather if he manages to rub the public up the wrong way with his ''lifestyle'' as he calls it.
Not really true. His support in the McCloskey fight was one of the most impressive I've seen.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:50 am

Scottrf wrote:
ONETWOFOREVER wrote:Khan is not liked over here mate. Its sad but he turns fans off for some reason but they will come out to see Mayweather if he manages to rub the public up the wrong way with his ''lifestyle'' as he calls it.
Not really true. His support in the McCloskey fight was one of the most impressive I've seen.

Yes but half that crowd had come across the Irish Sea to support McCloskey, plus many more UK based Irish went as well. It would have been half empty if he had been fighting someone of similar ranking from the USA.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:52 am

Khan had more partisan support than McCloskey.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:57 am

I was in the MEN that night and there were Paddys everywhere making up at least half the crowd, even half the English i spoke to that night were cheering for McCloskey.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 am

Rodney wrote:Would he get a visa ?  Cheers Rodders

Yes, the only grounds on which you get an automatic ban is if you have ever received a custodial sentence of over 4 years or more. Floyd would have to declare it and it would be at the discretion of the Home Office, but would be gobsmacked if it was not granted reasonably easily.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:02 am

McCloskey had one end, the vast majority of the crowd was pro Khan support. Absolutely no chance of half the crowd being Irish. Watch the tapes and listen to the roars for Khan.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:07 am

Scottrf wrote:McCloskey had one end, the vast majority of the crowd was pro Khan support. Absolutely no chance of half the crowd being Irish. Watch the tapes and listen to the roars for Khan.

They were not saying ''Khan, Khan'' they were saying something along the lines of ''KhanT KhanT'' but they were NOT saying Khan-t but something that sounded a lot like Khan-t.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:10 am

I'd say the Froch-Groves event last weekend will have made Floyd more open to the idea of a stadium fight with Khan in the UK. I feel confident they could fill it.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:11 am

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Scottrf wrote:McCloskey had one end, the vast majority of the crowd was pro Khan support. Absolutely no chance of half the crowd being Irish. Watch the tapes and listen to the roars for Khan.

They were not saying ''Khan, Khan'' they were saying something along the lines of ''KhanT KhanT'' but they were NOT saying Khan-t but something that sounded a lot like Khan-t.
I'm not talking about chants, I'm talking about the cheers and applause for Khan during his entrance/during the fight. I was surprised how vocal his support was.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:32 am

Rowley wrote:

Yes, the only grounds on which you get an automatic ban is if you have ever received a custodial sentence of over 4 years or more. Floyd would have to declare it and it would be at the discretion of the Home Office, but would be gobsmacked if it was not granted reasonably easily.

I dont' think so. Has already had to cancel his UK tour....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2646488/Floyd-Mayweather-calls-tour-Britain-visa-dramas-ground-world-champion.html

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by trottb Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 am

OneTwo's opinion on Khan isn't really worth bothering with.

trottb

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:44 am

Pedro147 wrote:
Rowley wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/boxing/article-2646488/Floyd-Mayweather-calls-tour-Britain-visa-dramas-ground-world-champion.html

There is a lot more money in an actual fight and PPV event than a few evening with events Pedro. As such the resources would be there to appeal the decision and or pursue a judicial review of the decision. Trust me, as with most things in life chucking money at these problems tends to work. The current rules are only 4 year custodial sentences result in automatic bans (as with Tyson recently), the rest is at the discretion of the Home Secretary and as such can be appealed, influenced by the press etc.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:02 am

Rowley wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:
Rowley wrote:

There is a lot more money in an actual fight and PPV event than a few evening with events Pedro. As such the resources would be there to appeal the decision and or pursue a judicial review of the decision. Trust me, as with most things in life chucking money at these problems tends to work. The current rules are only 4 year custodial sentences result in automatic bans (as with Tyson recently), the rest is at the discretion of the Home Secretary and as such can be appealed, influenced by the press etc.

I tend to agree being honest but you never know with Floyd. He's an idiot and seems to get himself into trouble constantly.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:14 am

The article states that it was more than likely a t*t for tat objection because Nigella Lawson's refusal. It's hardly uncommon for authorities to do things like this. I can't see him not getting a visa for something that would boost the UK economy and boost something 'British'.

Can't say it fusses me too much, i can't say i'm a fan of Khan, though for me i think he beats Floyd if he avoids one on his glass chin.

Last edited by Alistair on Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Boobie for tat didn't make sense.)

Alistair
AListair
AListair

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:54 am

Perhaps Nigella could fight Floyd - winner takes the Visa. Cue Nigella being rated PFP number 4 by the Ring and Truss placing her as slight favourite.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:31 pm

I doubt Mayweather will ever leave Vegas for his fights. Too comfortable there and the MGM pay him a bomb to fight there.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:03 pm

hogey wrote:I was in the MEN that night and there were Paddys everywhere making up at least half the crowd, even half the English i spoke to that night were cheering for McCloskey.

Paddys everywhere? Doesnt hurt not to be a racist.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:11 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:
hogey wrote:I was in the MEN that night and there were Paddys everywhere making up at least half the crowd, even half the English i spoke to that night were cheering for McCloskey.

How long do we have to endure these childish comments regards racism ? Its boring, wind your neck in.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:28 pm

Even if they got 60.000 it would be nothing to sniff at.

I think Floyd fighting in the UK is a massive Draw, and given how he struggled against Maidana and how Khans looks to have settled in with his Trainer giving a good performance last time out, I think its realistic they could get allot of people in Wembley.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:39 pm

Trouble is, at least 50,000 of them will be asking why Floyd isn't fighting Carl Froch (their new favorite boxer)

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:54 pm

Rodney wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:

How long do we have to endure these childish comments regards racism ? Its boring, wind your neck in.

Cheers Rodders

Until the racism stops?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:14 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:Boxing sports journalist Colin Hart stated on Ringside tonight that the only fight that would fill Wembley again would be if Mayweather agreed to fight Khan. Firstly do you agree that this would fill Wembley? Would this be bigger than Froch v Groves and finally is there any other fight out there that would fill Wembley stadium?
Nope, people would flock to see John Terry beaten to death with his own ego

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:46 pm

Scottrf wrote:

His star has fallen some since then. Not done anything personality wise to endear himself and has gone and got flattened by Garcia, 'lost' to LP and struggled past Diaz.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm

shenglong2014 wrote:
Rodney wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:

Cheers Rodders

Until the racism stops?

Pot......kettle.......black.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:
Rodney wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:

Cheers Rodders

Until the racism stops?

Carrot...potato...muddy...or is that still racist?

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:35 pm

not convinced in khans support being enough but reckon a lot of the casual fans will jump on the mayweather bandwagon. after all they know him as the guy who beat hatton.

went to the m.e.n for the barrera fight and large majority of the crowd weren't there for khan and would say his stock has fallen since then, also went to the kotelnik fight and they nowhere near sold out the m.e.n. i wasnt fussed though because we got there early they bumped our tickets to pretty much ringside!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:43 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:
Rodney wrote:
shenglong2014 wrote:

Cheers Rodders

Until the racism stops?

And there you go again, more racism.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:46 pm

calling a irish man a paddy is racist? whats next me taking offence for being called a manc! get a grip you weapon

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:54 pm

compelling and rich wrote:calling a irish man a paddy is racist? whats next me taking offence for being called a manc! get a grip you weapon

What? Are you insane? This is a derogatory name given to Irish men who worked in England on the building yards, heres the definition from the Irish Heritage Website:

Paddy - Used mainly in Britain. Similar negative connotations as "n****r." Comes from St. Patrick and/or from the common Irish name Padraig. Also spelled Patty.

Think before you write you ignorant fool.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:08 pm

Stop talking crap Sheng

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:17 pm

Scottrf wrote:Stop talking crap Sheng

Cracker Scott, tryng to join in because you have no mates. Rolling Eyes 

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:20 pm

Don't be racist.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Scottrf wrote:Don't be racist.

I know I've been away a while and I am sorry to hear about your accident. They really hit your head hard. But good to see your learning your way around a sinclair keyboard.

Chin up, oh and "Never throw in the towel".

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:27 pm

I thought Khan getting booed at Wembley on the weekend while being interviewed on the big screen was pretty disgraceful. Cleary some of the local knuckledraggers were out in force at that fight

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:51 pm

I always tend to refer to an Irishman as a Mick rather than a Paddy.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:14 am

Never quite understood why people would call an Irishman Mick

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:57 am

We have managed to happily coexist (relatively) without arguments about nationality rearing its ugly head round here. Within the last week it has cropped up at least twice. There is a danger us mods will put our heads together and try and find a common denominator in all this or try and analyse what has changed in the last week to cause this shift.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:58 am

Some silly words been thrown around here by the usual suspects. There's fault and ignorance in the language of more than one person.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:09 am

One half of my family is Irish and can assure you despite your expected protestations that Paddy is not an offensive word, so many Irish companies use the term that you can't cry about it.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:19 am

The usual then Rowley, rather than tackle the issue head on and all it would take would be to ask people not to refer to anyone in a derogatory sense youd rather threaten me with a ban....I remember a debate on here recently regarding the travelling community and the same outcome. I am here to talk boxing I just wish everyone else was the same and could manage to do that without using derogatory language. I do not expect to be refered to as a bigot or a paddy not in a work place, on the street or an internet chat room. Thats my last say on it. I am going to focus on chatting about the sport we all love now, because contrary to belief I am just as big a fan as everyone else, if not more than most. I appreciate you guys have a difficult job and will enjoy working cooperatively going forward.

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:51 am

You can spare me the faux naïve victim crap. Within two minutes of returning on here one of your first threads was to question how many world class English fighters there had been post war, before going on to tell everyone there were none, no matter what arguments they put to the contrary. Given your history on here I struggle to believe you thought this was going to endear you to people, it was done to provoke and mission accomplished.

Should people use terms like micks and paddies, no they shouldn't. However the funny thing is in the last god knows how long they haven't. However you reappear writing threads telling loads of English boxing fans they have not had a world class fighter in the last 70 years and all of a sudden derogatory terms for Irish people begin to be used. I can't help but feel there may be a corroboration somewhere in there.

You say you're here to talk boxing, good, you will be given opportunity to do so, but please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting I am stupid enough not see what your raison d'etre is.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by shenglong2014 Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 pm

Please point out where I said there is none. I said I struggle to find any. An opinion I am entitled to. Ever think the other way? As soon as Sheng returns out comes the derogatory names. To your own admission it is wrong to use those names, have you acted upon it? Nope. Why not?

shenglong2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next