The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glen Johnson Interview

+4
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
hampo17
8 posters

Go down

Glen Johnson Interview Empty Glen Johnson Interview

Post by hampo17 Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 am

By Paul Hampton, @v2boxing.

PH: First of all Glen, thanks for giving up your time to do this for us at V2 Boxing. You’re still fighting at the age of 45, what keeps you motivated to go to the gym everyday?

GJ: Everyday, I'm am highly motivated by my personal career goal to become the world champion again.

PH: You’ve never fought in your home country, before you retire would you like to take a big fight back home?

GJ: I would love to take a big fight back home to Jamaica..it's my dream!

PH: You’re fighting for the vacant WBC International Cruiserweight Title at the end of this month, how do you feel about the number of belts in boxing at the moment?

GJ: It doesn't matter to me how many belts they have in boxing. It's the fighter that makes the belt, not the belt that makes the fighter!

PH: We’ve recently had Nathan Cleverly and Tony Bellew move up to Cruiserweight, would you be interested in coming over to the UK to fight them and how do you see a fight with them going?

GJ: Yes, I would love to fight either one or both of them in the U.K. I know i would kick their asses.

PH: After an unbeaten start to your career, you came unstuck against Hopkins, Also the only man to stop you. Was he too much too soon? Or simply the best guy you fought?

GJ: Yes, he was JUST too much, too soon!

PH: Do you have any bitterness with the politics/business of boxing that meant you had to be the road warrior and take the lumps, or do you see it that in the end, it helped make you what you are?

GJ: No, i have no bitterness.The Road Warrior experiences, made me a better person and a better fighter!

PH: Given their relative performances against you, were you shocked by Froch's performance vs Bute?

GJ: I wasn't shocked by the result of the fight. The fact that it was a one sided fight surprised me.

PH: You were stopped against Bernard Hopkins in what seemed a rather conservative stoppage by the referee but who that you faced hit the hardest?

GJ: Antonio Tarver hit the hardest.

PH: You seemed to me to be a bit of a throwback fighter - one of the few top-level, have-gloves-will-travel types of your era. Did you consciously try to emulate the fighters of yesteryear, or was it simply a matter of having to confront people in their own backyard if you were to get on as you wanted?

GJ: It's simply a matter of the survival skills i developed throughout my journey of having to confront fighters in there own backyard.

PH: You had a renaissance and won the light heavy title after a couple of tough fights with our own Clinton woods, and then went on to knock out Roy jones and beat Tarver. On paper this was the pinnacle of your career. Which of these is your personal highlight, or do you have another?

GJ: Winning the World Title was the highlight of my career.

PH: Glen, thanks for taking the time out of your schedule to speak to me and answer my questions. I wish you all the best in your upcoming fight.

http://www.v2boxing.com/3/post/2014/06/glen-johnson-interview.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glen Johnson Interview Empty Re: Glen Johnson Interview

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 am

Just the type of fighter I like, although I could wish that he would recognise that 45 is not generally a great age for a boxer to be trying to ply his trade at the highest level. He doesn't have Hopkins' ring savvy and I would hate Glenn to become nothing more than a durable punchbag.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 am

Seems an honest type..

I don't wish him the best in his upcoming fight...........I want him to get put into retirement while he can still talk properly.....

Me I'd ban everybody over 40.........I blame Foreman worst thing that ever happened to Boxing was him beating Moorer.

.Recovery ability weakens the older you get......

Johnson is an overachiever and I expect his luck is running out.....Time to enjoy his family and seek employment elsewhere.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:53 pm

He's facing a big puncher next up.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Yeah the guy he fighting next has developed a decent record, especially after getting stopped in his first fight.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Last edited by jimdig on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Talking nonsense)

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:06 pm

His answeres were a bit short on content. I thought/wish he'd retired. It wasn't so long ago he was taking punishment at 167lbs at 45 he shouldn't really be competing at world level at 200lbs. This sort of Poopie will end badly sooner or later.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:41 pm

hampo171 wrote:Yeah the guy he fighting next has developed a decent record, especially after getting stopped in his first fight.

He has one of the best KO-to-fight ratios in the sport.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:44 pm

He seems like the sort to do his talking in the ring, though he does have a lovely speaking voice

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:29 pm

A man of few words. Well done for getting the interview hampo.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:05 pm

He reminds me of JMM...in that he's reluctant to admit he ever lost a fight. I recall the losses to Woods and even to Froch and Glen was adamant that he'd been robbed

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:16 pm

In fairness to JMM I'd be reluctant to admit I ever lost a fight to Manny.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:24 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:In fairness to JMM I'd be reluctant to admit I ever lost a fight to Manny.
Still doesn't explain his refusal to admit he was beaten by Bradley

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:33 pm

I dont think Glen is being honest here. Hes fighting on for the money now and knows his world title days are over. Hes a good fighter to put a good prospect in there with because he has a hard head and can take them a few rounds and give them good experience.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:44 pm

DAVE667 wrote:He reminds me of JMM...in that he's reluctant to admit he ever lost a fight. I recall the losses to Woods and even to Froch and Glen was adamant that he'd been robbed

the woods fights were all pretty close to be fair. Re the froch fight, he said his corner told him he was behind, which suggests he knew he was losing. How many fighters ever admit they lost... I'll cut him more slack than most as he got the bum end of a fair few home towners in his day.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:45 pm

milkyboy wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:He reminds me of JMM...in that he's reluctant to admit he ever lost a fight. I recall the losses to Woods and even to Froch and Glen was adamant that he'd been robbed

I'll cut him more slack than most as he got the bum end .

Disgusting !!!.......... Shocked 

Has anyone got his phone number ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down