The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

+12
hampo17
Rowley
Derbymanc
wheelchair1991
TRUSSMAN66
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
Herman Jaeger
mobilemaster8
AlexHuckerby
jimdig
hazharrison
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? - Page 2 Empty Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by hazharrison Sat 21 Jun 2014, 8:20 am

First topic message reminder :

Picking a winner here has to be one of the biggest finger-in-the-air jobs in history and so it's perfect for a forum: Who wins and how?

Lomachenko is the 4-7 favourite.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:39 pm

I think Joshua should fight that guy with the unbeaten record who outclassed Mayweather Sr and beat Wilder by disqualification in his last fight..

If he's got the nuts..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got? - Page 2 Empty Re: Lomachenko vs Russell Who Have You Got?

Post by hampo17 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:41 pm

Why not stick Joshua in with Gary Cornish? Unbeaten, 18-0 with 10 stoppages. The guy wouldn't come for a pay check, and is just 27. It would also mean Joshua fighting a guy of a similar height, although he does have a heavily padded record.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:47 pm

In the old days you had Tillis and Larry Alexander types to give your boy some rounds...

Now it's Fatty Arbuckle types (No offence Toppy) looking for a payday and a lie down !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:51 pm

Skelton is an old man who will get the crap beaten out of him. Waste of time.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 4:53 pm

47 looking for a last payday...........

But If Toppy thinks it's a test who are we to argue...... thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

Yeh, let's just throw him in for a world title shot now as a 6 fight novice Rolling Eyes

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yeh, let's just throw him in for a world title shot now as a 6 fight novice Rolling Eyes

Contradicting yourself again.... Cool

Just for the record If there was a fighter he could learn off.I'd hold him back for a little while.......

But give me a guy who isn't a risk (AJ won't be risked pre-title he's too valuable) that can teach him something..

Good as he's going to be..............Just as Bruno was..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 24 Jun 2014, 5:26 pm

How can you learn off someone that poses no risk??

If I were going to chuck a low-risk name out that'll get him rounds it'd be Zack Page, for someone higher level who might 'teach' him something I'd suggest Kingpin.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue 24 Jun 2014, 10:50 pm

Wonder how AJ reacts when an opponent punches him back?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Wed 25 Jun 2014, 2:40 am

Storms out of the ring and weeps. He does not feel the pain, but he understands the futility of violence.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 8:46 am

Surprised nobody has talked about Guerrero's comeback against Kamegai on Saturday night yet - one of the best three or four fights so far in 2014, for me. Reminded me a little bit of Tua-Ibeabuchi, albeit it wasn't as close as that one.

I suspected that maybe Guerrero's heart and focus weren't fully set on boxing after securing himself financially with the Mayweather fight and being out of the ring for thirteen months.....I was wrong! Brilliant stuff.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:01 am

Have never found RG much to get excited about, made worse when Ring magically elevated him to Top10 p4p with no justification for the Floyd fight.

Was a pretty exciting match, basically because both fighters had good chins/durability (esp. the Kamegai!) but neither had ko power to end it. But top draw boxing was in a little short supply, esp from Kamegai, so I much much preferred Loma-Russell as a genuinely impressive spectacle.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:27 am

You’re one of those “chin stroking” journalists that Rowley was talking about the other day, Toppy Wink

Guerrero’s not a slickster or technical wizard, but he’s not inept in that regard either. Thought he showed some very good inside skills and made use of what little room there was in the fight well enough. Spectacle isn’t the word I’d have used to describe Lomachenko-Russell, really. For me, Kamegai emerges with a lot more credit in defeat than Russell does and I thought the twelve rounds Guerrero and Kamegai shared flew by a hell of a lot faster than they did for Lomachenko-Russell.

There was a fair amount to applaud in Lomachenko’s performance, but personally I wouldn’t rush back to view a repeat of it ahead of the excitement and all-out action Guerrero and Kamegai threw up. I like a boxing chess match as much as the next man, but that doesn’t mean I’m going to pretend that one of my personal favourites in Pernell ever took part in a better fight than Gatti-Ward I, and likewise it’d take a hell of a lot to convince me that Guerrero-Kamegai wasn’t by a mile the best fight on Saturday’s card….But it’s all horses for courses, I guess!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:45 am

You arent a real boxing fan and connoisseur unless you enjoy watching Bernard Hopkins stink his way to a points decision. You should be standing outside a pub hoping it all kicks off between two drunks.

Or something like that.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:50 am

Haha definitely not, Chris, nowhere near knowledgeable enough - even when trying to pretend!

I guess it's partly I like watching elite athletes do something I can't do, really show something amazing. And, well frankly, I can get punched in the face fine. Loma's movement and shot variety were far more entertaining to me, especially when punctuated by flurries of success, than Kamegai plodding forwards with few fundamentals and just getting punched in the face.

For the same reason I'd rather watch Ronaldo (or even a Sterling or Barkley) over the 'busy & industrious' James Milner.

I enjoyed watching Rigo-Donaire as I was in awe of what Rigo was accomplishing against the guy I had p4p #3 at the time, even if there was little/no axciting 'action'.

That's not saying I don't like tear-ups, just like some boxing and technique thrown in there too.

Agree Kamegai comes out with more credit though. However I think that's more because he was seen as a nobody that shouldn't cause any issues whereas a lot were backing 'the sensation' GRJr to do something impressive. Therefore expectation levels were different.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 9:52 am

catchweight wrote:You arent a real boxing fan and connoisseur unless you enjoy watching Bernard Hopkins stink his way to a points decision. You should be standing outside a pub hoping it all kicks off between two drunks.

Or something like that.

Perfectly proves my point. I can't STAND watching Hopkins fight, because to me that's not boxing or technique it's dirty roughhouse spoiling, essentially cheating that he's spent too long getting away with.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 10:27 am

Guerrero might not be the most pleasing fighter but he showed hisclass in slapping Katsidis....

Never saw Winky get as much s**t as this guy and he stunk even worse..

But then again Winky didn't lose to Floyd..

Which is enough to make any fighter hated and derided on here..

Alvarez was a useless journeyman according to Toppy the day after the Mayweather fight..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 12:50 pm

Still talking out your arris I see, Truss, somethings never change.

Let's not let truth get in the way of a good story, ay? Especially not if that story allows you to fluff your hero-worshipping a little more.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 1:57 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Haha definitely not, Chris, nowhere near knowledgeable enough - even when trying to pretend!.

Maybe p**s off then..... and let those of us that are get on with it !!

Just a thought... Cool 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 2:29 pm

'Those of us'?? But what about you in that case....?

There's be no place for someone who hero-worhips a couple of guys and can't see fault in them, and otherwise flip-flops his opinion around to suit, basically bringing sod all to the party.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 2:37 pm

Just a suggestion...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 3:00 pm

Maybe one where it's best to take your own advice.......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Wed 25 Jun 2014, 3:37 pm

Did anyone watch the rest of the card?

Comebacks all over the show.

Former 4 time light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson snapped a two fight, KO, losing streak. KOing the overmatched Canadian Blades inside 1 round.

Devon Alexander bounced back from losing his IBF welterweight belt by beating Jesus Soto Karass by UD.

Robert Guerrero finally made his in ring return, 13 months after being beaten by Floyd Mayweather Jnr(and multiple attempts to leave GBPs), beating Japan's Yoshihiro Kamegai in an entertaining slugfest. Guerrero suffered a bad eye cut and severe swelling(similar to his eye after the Berto fight). Guerrero won a clear UD. But he's got to stop getting eye damaged, otherwise he might end up with injuries like Margarito. It was amazing neither fighter was dropped in the barrage of power punching.

Anyway a December showdown between Guerrero-Alexander was mooted, but Adrien Broner has forced his way into the picture and claims he wants Guerrero.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 25 Jun 2014, 3:47 pm

Dawson fight was utterly meaningless.

Not a fan of Karass but Devon looked half decent against him, still don't think he's top draw though.

Broner would take RG, IMO.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 26 Jun 2014, 7:58 pm

Guerrero v Kamegai was entertaining, but I wouldn't call it a FOTY contender. It lacked the x factor of a KO always looking possible. Both guys had more chin than power so it had distance written all over it. Compare this to Matthysse v Molina where they were both extremely durable with high workrates, but had even more power than they did chin.

The heart and work rate was there in both of them, but neither have a great deal of quality offensively. Still pleasing to watch!

Dawson's mind can't be in the best state if he's looking that soft given that he's usually made of marble.

Entertaining for an Alexander fight. Given that it's Alexander he'll probably bore his way to a TD or get beat by a tune up opponent in his next fight.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2