The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby Championship Prospects 2014

+29
kingraf
Pal Joey
aucklandlaurie
boomeranga
Notch
Cyril
yappysnap
funnyExiledScot
BamBam
chewed_mintie
Neutralee
disneychilly
Rugby Fan
GunsGerms
whocares
nganboy
Comfort
profitius
bluestonevedder
MMaaxx
fa0019
SecretFly
Nematode
Taylorman
emack2
Scratch
Biltong
Sgt_Pooly
kiakahaaotearoa
33 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Rugby Championship Prospects 2014 - Page 3 Empty Rugby Championship Prospects 2014

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sun 22 Jun 2014, 11:10 am

First topic message reminder :

The June Internationals came to an end this weekend and overall there was a familiar feel to the results, with the possible exception of Australia. Certainly results-wise Australia made a grand improvement on their 2013 Lions results. But the closeness of the first two tests in NZ sent the tongues wagging and it's fair to say both SA and Australia will approach their tests with NZ with a great deal of confidence. That said, the first test saw NZ put in a forgettable performance, Australia the second, SA the third. They all found ways to claw back a victory from a poor performance and the fact that they did so against an opposition that was playing very good rugby says a lot about the character of the teams. All three sides have many positives to take out of their tests though. Argentina once again showed that they simply don't have a big enough base to compete year round. They must target certain games and look to dominate those. It's many a bridge too far to ask them to compete in all of their matches.

Here is the scheduling for the RC tests this year.

Date Home Away Venue
16/08/2014 Australia - - New Zealand ANZ Stadium, Sydney
16/08/2014 TBC South Africa Argentina Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
23/08/2014 TBC New Zealand Australia Eden Park, Auckland
23/08/2014 TBC Argentina - - South Africa TBC
06/09/2014 TBC Australia - - South Africa Patersons Stadium, Perth
06/09/2014 TBC New Zealand Argentina McLean Park, Napier
13/09/2014 TBC Australia - - Argentina Skilled Park, Gold Coast
13/09/2014 TBC New Zealand South Africa Westpac Stadium, Wellington
27/09/2014 TBC South Africa Australia Newlands, Cape Town
27/09/2014 TBC Argentina - - New Zealand TBC
04/10/2014 TBC South Africa New Zealand Ellis Park, Johannesburg
04/10/2014 TBC Argentina - - Australia TBC

Australia: Sydney is the key test for Australia. In a way it defines their tournament. In the past two years, they have lost this fixture. There is a sense that there is confidence across the Aussie franchises with the possible exception of the Reds. In a way, the pairing of Genia and Cooper are a microcosm of the Australian side. If they are firing on all cylinders, they prove to be an irresistible combination of confidence and guile. If they don't fire, they can be a liability that can be ruthlessly exposed. There is no guarantee that either one will appear for Australia. Yet like England, the 9, 10, 12, 13 axis that played against France would not be my preference if I were McKenzie. The Aussies showed against France in the first and third tests the threat they are when their forwards get a roll on. Players like Folau are a huge threat when they have time and space. The second test showed though what happens when you close that time and space down. The way to break this Aussie side down has been through its forwards. I see the gameplan of SA, NZ and Argentina won't differ in that approach this year. But the question remains to be seen, is Australia ready to combat that physicality up front this year?

South Africa: There is a lot to be excited about this SA side. Much like Folau, they have a playmaker in Le Roux who is both exciting to watch and night and day and a couple of planets beyond what they had in Kirchner. That breakout try from inside the 22 against Wales yesterday was breathtaking to watch and instead of breaking down in the middle of the field, Le Roux expertly linked up with his outside man to finish off the try. It looked easy what he did at pace but in years gone by such consummate ease was lacking from the SA backline with Kirchner putting his head down and burrowing straight into contact a symptom of brawn winning over brain. There is no doubt that Meyer wants to mix things up but there are still a few question marks. He has a few experienced warriors like Matfield back in the side but with another test against NZ at Ellis Park, will these players be up for some lung-sapping rugby? Is Meyer relying too much on overseas players and will that have an attritional effect on their ability to last 80 minutes at Ellis Park against a NZ side who will be intent on running on that amazing ground?

Argentina: The need for a domestic structure and experience at playing in the S15 seems to be pointed out more glaringly each year. There is much to like about this Argentina side with their set piece but the promise they have shown with their backs has yet to come to full fruition. In their first test away in SA they have shipped a lot of points to SA giving them the perfect start to the tournament with the bonus point. It only seems they react when they come back home, undoubtedly to stinging criticism, that they seem to react. They seem to play their best rugby in wet conditions when they can more easily shut down the opposition and squeeze them into the narrow gameplan that works best for them. In the dry, however, they seem unable to cope with the pace of the game. If I were a NZ administrator, I would schedule the Argentina game in Dunedin where you are guaranteed a dry deck or at least one sheltered from the wintry conditions. They will once again target their home games and the away games in NZ and Australia because that is where they are likely to find conditions best suited to their game.

NZ: England gave them a stern test and that's not a bad thing. Read and Savea are the talisman players of this side and with them we look a lot more threatening. Ben Smith has shown that he can not only score tries from the right wing. He may not kick as much as Dagg but that's not such a bad thing. Folau, Le Roux, Smith and indeed Amorosino have shown their ability to make decisive plays. The question is how the forwards can give them a platform to give them the space they need. Messam may have a great year last year but Kaino has shown these June internationals that 6 is his happy home and he can consistently provide the brute strength that is required to get the upper hand at the breakdown. England showed that a rush defence and closing down NZ's space and getting the upper hand at the breakdown gives you the best chance of beating them. Conversely, they also showed that giving them front foot ball and space for their forwards to link up with their backs is a recipe for disaster. SA are going to come out all guns blazing in the Wellington test (where NZ seems strangely to put in the most consistent attacking performances in recent times) and Australia will give it their all at Sydney. They have yet to see how the NZ team performs under the pressure of needing tournament points and SA in particular will be looking for a bigger advantage going into that Ellis Park test. That said, if Australia can get a victory over NZ, their confidence will skyrocket and anytime an Australian side is full of confidence, that's when your team faces a huge uphill challenge.

So the big 3 all have reasons for optimism based on their June internationals. They have all scored many tries and Australia, in particular, will be heartened by that. However, there is the temptation for false optimism given that France's forwards only fronted in the second test. Of course, that is in part due to Australia and the way they performed but SA, NZ and Argentina will no doubt be poring over the video tapes of that second test to see how they can replicate that performance and look to the first and third tests as a warning of what can happen if they don't get it right. Similarly, NZ, Australia and Argentina will look at that third test and see how Wales got out to that big lead. The SA lineout and rolling maul is a huge weapon and NZ seemed to be able to negate it last year at Ellis Park but you can bet that SA will look to replicate it again and the return of Etzebeth will only reinforce that. And of course teams will look at NZ's first test and see how they can replicate that England performance of shutting down NZ's space with aggressive defence and breakdown work. Different games and different oppositions but the lessons are there to be learned. Argentina, perversely in a way with their three losses, has the advantage of not having any one game to isolate. They were poor in all of their games and the decision to treat games against them lightly is greater for the other 3 teams.

3 teams with high levels of confidence and one team with nothing to lose. Some fascinating tests to come and I for one can't wait for this competition to start. kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Rugby Championship Prospects 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Rugby Championship Prospects 2014

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Aug 2014, 10:23 am

I look at some selections Meyer is making and his tendency to go for the experienced players.

Victor and Bakkies has a million caps between them, but you have Etzebeth, Du Toit, Lewies, De Jager, all of them in my opinion test class, some potentially world class.

backrow, Juan Smith, Schalk BUrger are both ear the end and not guaranteed to be fit enough or in all honesty good enough nor the best in SA anymore.

SO you look at Vermeulen who in my view is one of the best number 8's in world rugby, certainly the best in SA, then you have Arno Botha, Marcel Coetzee, Oupa Mahoje, Frans Louw, WIllem, and probably another handful of youngster burning to get a call up.

back line, there is Pollard, Lambie, de Allende, Willie, Cornal, Sithole, Serfontein, Engelbrecht, and a few others who all have talent.

Add to that Piet v Zyl, Reinach, etc

Habana is still the best wing in SA, JP Pietersen perhaps still good enough, but out of form.

I would much rather Meyer select on form, and give these youngsters a go.

Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Rugby Championship Prospects 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: Rugby Championship Prospects 2014

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 13 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

I think there's a bit of that going on BB from all the Sanza sides. Link has opted for 42-cap Beale instead of Foley to run things. Injury has robbed him of preferred wingers and front rowers. McCaw will still be picked but I'm hoping Cane gets some game time to bring himself up to speed. Meyer should test the youngsters against Argentina first up but I don't think he'll start them. If SA rack up early points then he should give them a run.

Can't wait for it to all begin but each Sanza side has its strengths and weaknesses. Australia is their set piece and green front five. That's where all the NZ pressure will go as that lays the foundation for the NZ attack. NZ and records up for grabs and Australia are not a good combination! Australia have to score early and apply pressure. Give NZ a cushion and they've got no hope. SA have two games against Argentina to find their rhythm and make a statement to NZ and Australia. They also will showcase any weaknesses to exploit so they must be positive and look not only to bully Argentina but intimidate their upcoming rivals.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Damian de Allende, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tenda Mtawarira

Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Marcell Coetzee, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Morné Steyn, 23 Jan Serfontein

Meyers hand may have been forced through injuries in some positions, but its still good to see guys like de Jager, Hendricks, De Allende and Pollard getting starts.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm

Kia, Meyer's latest statements is that the Boks need to learn to rely less on brawn and more on exploiting space.

If that is what he actually believes and implements then there are good days ahead.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:21 pm

Kudos to Meyer. He's selected Pollard at 10 and Allende to partner JDV. Great positive mood and the best time to see what this kid can offer.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

Australia: 15 Israel Folau, 14 Pat McCabe, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Matt Toomua, 11 Rob Horne, 10 Kurtley Beale, 9 Nic White, 8 Wycliff Palu, 7 Michael Hooper (c), 6 Scott Fardy, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Sam Carter, 3 Sekope Kepu, 2 Nathan Charles, 1 James Slipper.

Replacements (one to be omitted): 16 James Hanson, 17 Pek Cowan, 18 Ben Alexander, 19 Will Skelton, 20 Ben McCalman, 21 Scott Higginbotham, 22 Nick Phipps, 23 Bernard Foley, 24 Tevita Kuridrani.

I simply do not understand the decision to omit the most in-form out half of the moment in Super Rugby, Bernard Foley. Really showed his mettle for the Waratahs in the last few games of their bid for glory. Could be a mistake.

Really pleased to see one of my heroes Nathan Charles get a start. Pretty amazing to overcome Cystic Fibrosis and start a test match against the All Blacks! His story is very inspiring.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 13 Aug 2014, 12:40 pm

Notch wrote:South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 Damian de Allende, 12 Jean de Villiers (c), 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Willem Alberts, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tenda Mtawarira

Replacements: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Eben Etzebeth, 20 Marcell Coetzee, 21 Francois Hougaard, 22 Morné Steyn, 23 Jan Serfontein

Meyers hand may have been forced through injuries in some positions, but its still good to see guys like de Jager, Hendricks, De Allende and Pollard getting starts.

Very excited to see that team play.

Having Pollard, De Allende, Willie and Hendricks does give the backline a fresh look, hopefully it provides more exciting attack as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Wed 13 Aug 2014, 9:06 pm

I have a feeling Aus are going to have a long day at the office come saturday!

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Aug 2014, 9:32 am

Argentina team announced;

Spoiler:
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 14 Aug 2014, 9:36 am

Meanwhile Hansen share my sentiments on the non-selection of Bernard Foley- or he is attempting to play some mind games with the Aussies!

http://www.planetrugby.co.uk/story/0,25883,16024_9421252,00.html
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 9:45 am

I think AUS can do really well on Saturday.

They're unfancied but on the up and playing at home. They are better then people say they are and its the best time to play NZ, at home first game.

Can they sneak a victory, perhaps that will be difficult but they have a chance albeit marginal.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Aug 2014, 10:58 am

Can't say I care for Hansen's comment's on Wallaby selection. It's true we don't need more safe cliches in these press conferences, but Hansen has gone instead for disrespect.

The first observation is harsh but fair comment. The second speculation about Link being pressured by the ARU is out of order. Like Notch, I thought it might just have been a good wind-up, but I've now seen the video, and he's serious.

He might actually be right for all I know. However, when you are a senior rugby figure, if you are going to start airing theories about coercion and corruption - Sir Graham Henry wondering whether Wayne Barnes had taken bribes come to mind - you'd better have something to back it up.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:32 pm

Going too far? Hansen's putting the needle in and is just voicing what many are thinking. Everyone knows this is a gamble and Hansen's not going to let it just pass by unnoticed.

Meanwhile he's made the bold call of dropping Dagg and putting Jane on the wing. Ben Smith will have a high work rate wherever Hansen puts him but given Jane's performance in the third test, this is form guiding his decision much like Meyer's and it's the right decision.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

Given that Jose Mourinho was fined £10K for sarcastically praising a referee last season I think what Hansen did was a little out of line.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:42 pm

Sounds like he was just thinking out loud without actually using his brain...

Comments really do open him up for criticism, and if the unthinkable happens he will look like a bit of a man sausage.

That said, he has only said what we're all thinking.

That tight 5  Erm  I just don't see Aus getting anything! Hope i'm wrong.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 14 Aug 2014, 12:47 pm

Hansen's a dik

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:10 pm

Coercion and corruption are not the same ball park. They're not even the same sport. Beale might have a blinder and prove Shag wrong but this selection is a vote of no confidence for Foley so why play him against France then? If Toomua and Beale will interchange like Foley and Beale did for the Tahs, then why not gel that combination in the France series? I think Link is placing too much pressure on Beale with no front line kicker and complicating life unnecessarily for Toomua and Beale. Shag is calling link out on that much like the Aussie media has been doing all week with headlines like is this the real Beale.

To me all this has move has done is put a dent in an Aussie team that looked to be confident and in good form. Foley's form against France and in the S15 deserved a place. That together with injuries sees Australia go into this match a notch down in confidence from the Waratahs' win. Hansen is not putting any focus on the tight five for the Wallabies and that's where the real focus will be. Hansen said Beale was a special player but he's not giving ammo where it really matters.

I can easily see how Shag and his mafia coat rub people the wrong way. But he's a shrewd operator and knows exactly what he's doing. This ain't a popularity contest.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:27 pm

If I'm honest, I'm not actually upset. The thing that makes it worth commenting on is the absolute certainty that the next time anyone connected with the Wallabies says anything thats not all black worthy, there will be outrage. I don't mind what Jabba the Hut says, it's the palava that leads up to and follows an all black test that drives this.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

Agree, it doesn't make sense to use Foley during June and then Beale against New Zealand first up.

WHy not then play Beale against France?

He was in good form then as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:42 pm

He was in good form but everyone had doubts about him because he boozed and cracked last year. The question has never been about his talent. It's been about his state of mind, and in the last two weeks of super rugby he fronted up. Watch the games. He was excellent. And remember that McKenzie rates, and is picking Toomua at 12. He's picking a partnership.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 14 Aug 2014, 1:56 pm

Boomeranga there's palava to any lead up regardless of the opposition. It's just that some tests or teams get more attention. But it's not one-way traffic. Every side tries to score psychological points.

Beale's inclusion at 10 was a surprise. I know some are placing too much emphasis on the numbers but if Link had selected Toomua at 10 and Beale at 12 I don't think there would've been anywhere near as much criticism. Link is picking a partnership as you say but one that hasn't any familiarity about it. It's not Hansen's place to speculate on why he was included but he's right to doubt why Foley was not included. It's not just his side of the Tasman thinking that.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 14 Aug 2014, 2:35 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:I can easily see how Shag and his mafia coat rub people the wrong way. But he's a shrewd operator and knows exactly what he's doing. This ain't a popularity contest.
If he knew what he was saying, that just makes it worse.

It's fine by me when Hansen says Link has no confidence in Foley. I'm not a fan of coaches taking cracks at specific opposition players but that's just a question of taste.

It's not fine by me when Hansen suggests Link didn't really want to pick Beale and only did so because the ARU ordered him to do so for commercial reasons. That's an accusation that brings the game into disrepute.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu 14 Aug 2014, 6:26 pm

No room for Dagg in the side,no specialist Lock on the bench,Barrett covering 10/15.
One of the bench props Moody was injured recently Cane not yet match fit no Messam.
Reports of a kicking game now seems unlikely this team is based around runners,Goal
Kicking weakfish.
Strong starting side but by there standards weak bench they may pay for that but NZ
should still have enough to win.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 12:56 am

Conrad smith out.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:36 am

boomeranga wrote:Hansen's a dik

Surprised at your views ranga, being Australian and all. Are you slighted because the shoe was on the other foot? I thought Shag was just appealing to the Australian sense of humour and having a bit of fun with the pre-game banter that Oz is famous for. Guess 12 years is a long time so I can forgive you for not entering into the spirit of it all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 15 Aug 2014, 1:54 am

ebop wrote:...I thought Shag was just appealing to the Australian sense of humour and having a bit of fun with the pre-game banter that Oz is famous for...
No, he was serious, and the comment went too far. He's the senior coach, not a talk radio host. He represents the All Blacks and the NZRU when he speaks.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 15 Aug 2014, 3:05 am

Rugby Fan wrote:
ebop wrote:...I thought Shag was just appealing to the Australian sense of humour and having a bit of fun with the pre-game banter that Oz is famous for...
No, he was serious, and the comment went too far. He's the senior coach, not a talk radio host. He represents the All Blacks and the NZRU when he speaks.

Fair enough, don't have anything else to add. But bear in mind Hansen's serious face and rolling on the floor laughing face are very similar.

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:18 am

Conrad Smith might still join the squad if his baby is born early. Crotty comes in but unsure who starts if Smith is available. Maybe Link anticipated this news and thought there'd be gaps worth exploiting in midfield with Smith's defensive organization missing.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

DO you think that is wise KIa?

The poor bloke is going to be paste by the time he joins the squad.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 9:52 am

Get the feeling this is one of those games where the Aussie forward pack play well above expectations and get their backs on the front foot. Hopefully Fekitoa's defensive lines are in order...

Big game for McCaw. Hooper is in form and I reckon he'll get to most rucks first.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by chewed_mintie Fri 15 Aug 2014, 10:04 am

disneychilly wrote:Hopefully Fekitoa's defensive lines are in order...

Dead right. If there's one player who has been able to consistently break our line with hard running through the centres it's AAC. He's scored some good tries against us with direct running over the years remarkably similar in style to his two tries in the recent SXV final. Fekitoa (and Nonu) has to be on the button

chewed_mintie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:01 am

It's definitely an area to target and makes AAC's move inside and Beale's inclusion with Toomua's straight running as well as AAC make more and more sense.

That said, I still think the Wallaby set piece is vulnerable. The performance the Wallaby pack gives will determine the game. If they get parity, Australia won't worry about out wide. They'll probe inside with Palu, Folau, Toomua and AAC. If they get slow ball on the back foot Beale will struggle just like any other.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:03 am

Too much emotion when your kid is born IMO, I wouldn't play a player under those circumstances.

You would have to be pretty dead inside for it not to impact you and its not like you can say... sorry love I know you're into your 19hr of excruciating labour but I need to get my 8hrs before saturday's match, see you in a few hours!!!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

In a way I'm quite glad Messam's been rested. This week he'd have more of a chance to excel with Australia being one of the less brutal teams but since the midfield is now a bit vulnerable we need the Aussies to be only able to provide sh!thouse ball on the back foot. With Kaino there that is a physical edge for sure and hopefully he can help blow Hooper off the pill at ruck time.

Crockett is as always a huge weapon IF the referee likes him. The Australians are masters at negating scrum weaknesses however so I'm sure they'll be looking to make things as awkward as possible and try to collapse and cause penalties. Does make it a lottery.

I'm perplexed as to why a lot of media still regard the NZ lineout as a weakness. Oliver has long retired and with Whitelock running the show I reckon that NZ are pretty damn solid and have been so for a fair while. Options abound and the throwing is usually on the button.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:19 am

Decent shout their Disney.

England went to NZ with a big rep on lineout and to be honest, NZ probably got the upper hand in the 3 matches there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:28 am

I see though that planet rugby the SA based rugby website are tipping AUS for a hard fought win. Interesting that.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:29 am

FA look at Fitzsimons' article in the Sydney Morning Herald. It's pretty hilarious.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 15 Aug 2014, 11:31 am

disneychilly wrote:FA look at Fitzsimons' article in the Sydney Morning Herald. It's pretty hilarious.

genius.... Lets see if he is the Mick Jagger of the rugby world!!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 15 Aug 2014, 3:06 pm

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/power-sam-whitelock-brodie-retallick/

Excellent article on some of the unseen things the locks do. Be nice to see more of these from other players and other teams-you'd see different approaches maybe and compare how effective they are. It's not like the English locks aren't world class.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu 21 Aug 2014, 12:19 pm

Kaino out for six weeks. That's going to prove telling against Argentina and SA. I'd advocate putting Cane in at 7, McCaw at 6 and putting Messam and Luatua on the bench for those matches. Don't think Hansen will as he'll remember Messam did his job at Ellis Park but Kaino's physicality will be greatly missed.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 21 Aug 2014, 12:33 pm

Haven't seen much of Messam as you Kiwi chaps but IMO he's immense and I think the balance he gives the backrow is outstanding.
Him with McCaw and Read are almost the perfect trio... the most complimenting trio since Hill, Back and Dillaglio certainly IMO.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 22 Aug 2014, 6:44 pm

I've come to the conclusion that the AB's are bored of winning. They keep having to look for more mountains to climb when in fact there just arent any more. Theyve climbed them all and now theyre having to create them- the world record sequence the only one they dont have. I think they'll win tonight but they really need to lose 2 or 3, get that winning feeling out of the system, get everyone on their backs again and get put in a position where some of the trophies are no longer in the cabinet. If we win tonight, what do we win? Another RC match on the way to potentially another RC title?

Compare the motivation to do that to the likes of the Boks and Oz- poles apart in terms of the motivation stakes. For the AB's they have to keep winning because they...well...just have too. Not the biggest incentive I've seen in sport. Wheres the struggle against the odds mentality? Wheres the fine line between glory and failure? How long since theyve been in that position.

Naah..we need to lose to truly appreciate what winning really means.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:12 pm

Taylorman wrote:I've come to the conclusion that the AB's are bored of winning. They keep having to look for more mountains to climb when in fact there just arent any more. Theyve climbed them all and now theyre having to create them- the world record sequence the only one they dont have. I think they'll win tonight but they really need to lose 2 or 3, get that winning feeling out of the system, get everyone on their backs again and get put in a position where some of the trophies are no longer in the cabinet. If we win tonight, what do we win? Another RC match on the way to potentially another RC title?

Compare the motivation to do that to the likes of the Boks and Oz- poles apart in terms of the motivation stakes. For the AB's they have to keep winning because they...well...just have too. Not the biggest incentive I've seen in sport. Wheres the struggle against the odds mentality? Wheres the fine line between glory and failure? How long since theyve been in that position.

Naah..we need to lose to truly appreciate what winning really means.

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

Sod that! I don't subscribe to that theory. I agree it's difficult in the motivational sense but winning gives its own rewards. Losing can also become a habit.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Neutralee Fri 22 Aug 2014, 7:22 pm

Tatlorman

I had written a response, why it never published I don't know...

As I said, Seb Vettel made a similar comment, he struggled to stay motivated without a challenge, when that challenge came... callamity!

NZ's women and more importantly U20's have both just record record failures at their recent tournaments, there is pressure on PI talent than ever before, and the NH is attracting talent from the SH like never before. It's only a matter of time before NZ are middle of the pack style nation no?

Neutralee

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 22 Aug 2014, 8:52 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Sod that! I don't subscribe to that theory. I agree it's difficult in the motivational sense but winning gives its own rewards. Losing can also become a habit.

Saturday morning here Kia, anxiously awaiting the game in 12 odd hours...looks like perfect conditions in Auckland as well.

I don't necessarily subscribe to it either but in a warped kind of way I think its a necessity to keep the programme energised. My feeling is if we were to go unbeaten through to next years knockouts we can't possibly have more motivation to win all 3 than our opponents. Thats in itself is enough to bring about our downfall regardless of anything else- talent, availability, gameplan etc.

I think back to losses in 86 (and I mentioned it in another post) and Nantes, the baby blacks, the Cavaliers and Oz. From 16-3 in Nantes to 29-9 at Eden park a year later. 22-9 loss to Oz at the holiest of grounds and the last time we lost to them there, then 30-16 a year later, away in Sydney.

30 point turnarounds in less than 12 months vs the top 2 or 3 at the time. Nothing this AB side could do in the next 12 months to achieve that sort of improvement level other than some serious losing to force a back to the drawing board approach.

I think Henry saw something familiar in 2011 as well in his risk in not taking the full side to SA. I think he wanted, and felt the AB's needed a loss going into the WCup. That he got two was a bonus.

I think over the years he found it more and more difficult to motivate a side that was winning as part of its business as usual.

I also think Hansen has just had his job made easier for tonights game in terms of how he can get his side up for the match...scare them into thinking theyre on a slide, that theyre on their way down etc etc purely because last week we didnt win.

Compare that to Links job tonight. The Wallabies havent won anything of note for a while and that is evidenced by the huge interest in the game generated by the fabulous Tahs side this year. A huge amount of energy has gone into the Oz game in the last two months. Theyre facing something like 13 in a row losses on Eden park where they last won when half the current side wasnt even born yet! You simply can't buy that sort of motivation for all the money in the world.

So losing in this game is a must to succeed. Its not a sport where a guy like Bolt can always win with a 9.6 time regardless of whatever anyone else does. Its a sport where individual and team passion and motivation is a critical part of the cog of winning, and nothing motivates more than losing.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 22 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm

Morning folks, T. W. I. M. C.

This morning in sunny Auckland the sky is blue without a cloud, and not a puff of wind, as it has been for the last couple of days.

Off to Eden park later this afternoon....Go the ABs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 23 Aug 2014, 12:37 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Morning folks, T. W. I. M. C.

This morning in sunny Auckland the sky is blue without a cloud, and not a puff of wind, as it has been for the last couple of days.

Off to Eden park later this afternoon....Go the ABs.

The Weather Is Mostly Clear?  Smile 

Morning Laurie,

Have a feeling the ABs will either have just enough or more than enough later today. Just can't see the Wallabies filling in all those holes we saw last week. Wrong options every 2nd or 3rd possession, over-zealous play yet no plan B with the ball in hand, inferior kicking, volatile scrum (Poite will punish) and the usual "one step behind" mentality when playing the All Blacks. The all the inevitable errors... again and again. Hopeless!

Case in point: we saw the ABs do those perfect little kicks behind the lines last week which sent the Wallabies sliding and colliding into each other. You'd think EM (or some senior player) would have picked up on that and asked for the same. A no-brainer in those wet & slippery conditions.
Instead they tried to bash their way through with little success. Defence was damn good on both sides in the first match.

That blown try - we see dozens of scenarios like that every week in the NRL - it's a stock play that usually ends in a try or puts the defence on the back foot at the re-start. How they couldn't/didn't score says it all about the confidence in their ability in what they do.

Why on earth don't they also consider those NRL style cross kicks to allow us a glimpse of Issy's marking skills? Where is the creativity and physical + mental advantage in this Wallaby team? I just can't see it. The ABs simply have more brains and skills and the will to carry out more options in attack when their best 15 is on the field.

So, in my view, they have further to climb than either NZ or SA.... unless there is some massive turnaround in attitude which we are all unaware of and a bit of luck pays off.

Just can't see it happening though. We are carrying too many liabilities, imo. Charles, Fardy, Horne, McCabe to name a few. As I said after last week, we need to start with our most powerfully balanced line-up. Foley should have been rewarded too. Shift Beale out to accommodate Foley and chuck Kuridrani on the wing. Either start with big Willy or bring on him on around or just after HT. Anyway, too late for any of that.

We need(ed) more firepower right from the start. Try and give ourselves the best possible chance of scoring some points and getting a jump on the scoreboard to put the ABs under some sort of pressure. It's the only way for any team. Because we know they will always usually come back and finish strongly.

Sadly (for me) I think they (our coach and players) are kidding themselves. ABs by 12+

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 23 Aug 2014, 2:33 am

yeah just cannot understand Foleys non selection at 10. Books have now been written about it but it still doesnt make sense no matter which angle you look at it from. Tonight, rather than last weeks bath will make or break that selection.

ABs are really feeling the pressure here LD so expect a frenetic start, one for the ages I reckon.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 23 Aug 2014, 2:39 am

gidday LB, it was "to whom it may concern".

I do not have a clue how this game will pan out, to me there are just two many variables that could end up with a result from anywhere. looking forward to it massively.

On another note did you see the second half of last nights game? I thought Toovey was very calm, as getting tipped up like that is the last thing you want as the competition leading team in the late part of August.

You ask the question about the NRL cross kicks on attack, Jarryd Hayne is the best tactical kicker of an oval ball within 30 metres of a try line in both rugby codes. why an Australian or New Zealand Rugby player has not copied it is somewhat staggering. all we have to do is not kick them in the direction of Izzy.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next