The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Found - The Real Captain Blackadder and Private Baldrick

2 posters

Go down

Found - The Real Captain Blackadder and Private Baldrick Empty Found - The Real Captain Blackadder and Private Baldrick

Post by The Fourth Lion Sat 28 Jun 2014, 11:18 pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2014-06-25/researchers-track-down-the-real-life-captain-blackadder-and-private-baldrick

I read a similar article to this in Thursday's "I" (the shorter version of the Independent newspaper).  As a fan of the entire Blackadder quadrilogy it was fascinating to read that, not only did individuals with those surnames actually serve during WWI, but that they attained the same ranks as those in the Blackadder Goes Forth series, that is:  Captain Blackadder and Captain Darling, Lt George and Private Baldrick.  

The only character who cannot be found to have a WWI namesake is Stephen Fry's  blundering, jingoistic, warmongering, General Melchett, although a General Melchett does appear to have served with the British army during WWII.

For me, the most poignant part of the entire Blackadder series was in the final episode, "Goodbyee" where, after unsuccessfully attempting to feign insanity as a "cunning plan" to avoid going to certain death in a charge over the top, Blackadder resigns himself to his fate with the comment "Who'd have ever noticed another madman around here?"

World War I, gentlemen, in a nutshell. Now, that's great script writing.
The Fourth Lion
The Fourth Lion

Back to top Go down

Found - The Real Captain Blackadder and Private Baldrick Empty Re: Found - The Real Captain Blackadder and Private Baldrick

Post by hampo17 Mon 30 Jun 2014, 9:32 am

Couldn't agree more about the final episode, superb TV and one of the best finales I can remember.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down