The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling...

+15
FedsFan
MrInvisible
banbrotam
naxroy
yloponom68
summerblues
laverfan
JuliusHMarx
DJB14
The Special Juan
Jahu
Danny_1982
Born Slippy
CaledonianCraig
lydian
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling... - Page 2 Empty A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling...

Post by lydian Sun 29 Jun - 8:15

First topic message reminder :

Once more slam scheduling is shown to be completely asinine with many players affected by the rain but no Sunday play to catch up and ease the strain next week! Bear in mind 45 extra matches need to be rescheduled...!

Wawrinka will be the worst affected of the top players. His third-round match with Denis Istomin will now be played on Monday, leaving him the prospect of winning five matches in seven days if he is to take the title. Isner and Feliciano López are in the same boat. They'll need to potentially play 3 days on the run...ie. potentially 15 sets in 3 days.

But it gets even more idiotic. Wawrinka’s and Isner’s matches were cancelled at 5.12pm but the rain then cleared to allow all but one of the other third-round matches to be completed. They had 4 hours of play they could of used wisely to prioritise getting all main Bo5 matches done. Instead they put on doubles and Boy's/Girl's matches in their wisdom. So Isner's and Wawrinka's non-played matches will cause all sorts of knock-on problems next week. Murray/Djokovic will be in the quarters by end of Monday, Nadal/Federer won't have even played their 4th round matches. Crazy.

Speaking before the decision was made, Federer said he was glad to get his match in but knew he would be affected. “We’ll see what’s going to happen,” he said. “I might not play on Monday now. I don’t know what the situation is. You can’t choose, always. It is what it is and you have to adapt to it.”. Yes but you shouldn't have to Roger if the AELTC employed some common sense.

So Nadal and Federer will be playing 2 days running whilst Murray and other top halfer's continue to enjoy nice breaks, including Friday to Monday just gone. Slam scheduling never ceases to get my goat, and it's affecting the game's GOATs here...it should be simple, schedule wisely and play Sunday's when delays/pile-ups occur.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling... - Page 2 Empty Re: A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling...

Post by DJB14 Mon 30 Jun - 14:12

Good to see John McEnroe talking about the stupid scheduling at the start of the Wimbledon coverage. He asked Henman, being a committee member, for his justification of the scheduling, which he replied very diplomatically. However, McEnroe rightly thought his reply was 'rubbish'.

Whilst I agree that in regards to rain sh*t happens, as many have pointed out already, they had the courts, the staff, the time to lessen the impact of this. Instead they increased the impact of the rain.

One last little gripe, why is Centre Court play starting an hour late? The roof doesn't take that long to come over and get the air conditioning at the right levels, it was something like 19 minutes during the Federer vs Muller match.

Really disappointing organization this year  picard  

DJB14

Back to top Go down

A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling... - Page 2 Empty Re: A shimmering shower of sh*te scheduling...

Post by FedsFan Mon 30 Jun - 14:28

CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I have said earlier it is wrong but just to clarify things the matches that are yet to be completed are to no advantage to Murray.

I never said the were to Murray's advantage. I merely said had the defending champion been in the bottom half of the draw and a round behind his greatest rivals for the title would the decisions taken have been the same?

Yes decisions would have been the same.  Wimbledon has always been pretty stuck in its ways so they wouldn't have played on Sunday just because two and a bit men's matches from Round Three were yet to be completed. They may just may have moved it to Centre court to follow Fed's match but only to pander to the paying public who paid to see Murray play on that day.

According to the forecast, no rain is expected for the rest of the day but the roof has been closed. I rest my case!

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun - 15:38

FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:I have said earlier it is wrong but just to clarify things the matches that are yet to be completed are to no advantage to Murray.

I never said the were to Murray's advantage. I merely said had the defending champion been in the bottom half of the draw and a round behind his greatest rivals for the title would the decisions taken have been the same?

Yes decisions would have been the same.  Wimbledon has always been pretty stuck in its ways so they wouldn't have played on Sunday just because two and a bit men's matches from Round Three were yet to be completed. They may just may have moved it to Centre court to follow Fed's match but only to pander to the paying public who paid to see Murray play on that day.

According to the forecast, no rain is expected for the rest of the day but the roof has been closed. I rest my case!

The roof is going to be opened.

Bit strange as I thought the rule was it would remain closed once shut.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 30 Jun - 15:48

FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

Roof is being opened actually. If, as you are hinting, Wimbledon are bending over backwards and always have for Murray then he gains nothing if it starts to pelt down shortly. It would seem better for him keeping roof closed and ensuring no breaks in play.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 30 Jun - 15:50

legendkillarV2 wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

I think thats during a match.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Mon 30 Jun - 15:54

CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

Roof is being opened actually. If, as you are hinting, Wimbledon are bending over backwards and always have for Murray then he gains nothing if it starts to pelt down shortly. It would seem better for him keeping roof closed and ensuring no breaks in play.

Henman, Hutchins and McEnroe have all more or less admitted the closed roof would suit the stronger server i.e Anderson! Even Sue Barker decided to mention the 2012 final and how the match took a turn when the roof was closed to Fed's advantage. A lot of people tend to forget when the roof was closed that day it was one set all and 2-2 in the third so the match could not have been more evenly poised. The home player is being given an advantage. I don't see why you are adamant it is not the case because let's face it, it WILL happen all over the world.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 30 Jun - 15:57

Let it drop eh? It is an outdoor tournament, weather is dry and so between matches the roof is opened. And good job they closed it early due to the rain showers that hit.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun - 16:28

Born Slippy wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

I think thats during a match.

It's actually for the day once it closes. A rule they seem to have relaxed in recent time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 30 Jun - 16:42

Anything to support that statement? It is (and always has been so far as I can see) the case that they open the roof between matches. Its frustrating as they often do it despite the forecast being iffy.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun - 16:55

I will try and dig something out.

I do recall the commentators saying something on those lines years ago.

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 30 Jun - 17:12

First and foremost it is an outdoors tournament. That takes precedence over Fed Fan's desire for them to close the roof in the hope of bolstering Anderson's chances of beating Murray.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Mon 30 Jun - 17:15

FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:
CaledonianCraig wrote:
FedsFan wrote:

Henman, Hutchins and McEnroe have all more or less admitted the closed roof would suit the stronger server i.e Anderson! Even Sue Barker decided to mention the 2012 final and how the match took a turn when the roof was closed to Fed's advantage. A lot of people tend to forget when the roof was closed that day it was one set all and 2-2 in the third so the match could not have been more evenly poised. The home player is being given an advantage. I don't see why you are adamant it is not the case because let's face it, it WILL happen all over the world.

I'm getting a bit confused as to what your case is ? When the roof was closed you seemed to be implying that was an advantage to Murray but then when the roof was opened it became and advantage to Murray.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Mon 30 Jun - 18:01

legendkillarV2 wrote:I will try and dig something out.

I do recall the commentators saying something on those lines years ago.

I seem to remember, that when and I think it was last year, they stupidly didn't close the roof even though everyone knew it was about to pour down with rain - their argument was that it's an outdoor tournament

To me this means that they'll open the roof whenever they can apart from when a match has started with the roof closed

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Mon 30 Jun - 20:09

I suspect nadal will be scheduled on court 1 tomorrow

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 30 Jun - 20:16

Looks like the women's draw has been decimated by the weather too.

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Mon 30 Jun - 21:40

surprised to see nadal on CC and federer not.

a bit like a mirror of what happened in roland garros, except that was in first round

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Thu 3 Jul - 7:26

Looks like the scheduling cost young Kyrgios and Stan yesterday...Stan particularly who lost all energy after playing 3 days on the run.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2