The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nick Kyrgios - next big thing

+20
yloponom68
summerblues
Calder106
bogbrush
maverickmak
Duty281
Josiah Maiestas
FedsFan
naxroy
DirectView2
sirfredperry
Jahu
invisiblecoolers
CaledonianCraig
The Special Juan
laverfan
banbrotam
kingraf
Born Slippy
MrInvisible
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Nick Kyrgios - next big thing - Page 3 Empty Nick Kyrgios - next big thing

Post by MrInvisible Sun 29 Jun 2014, 4:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm ashamed to say I'd lost touch with the game of late and hadn't heard of Kyrgios until after he'd saved all those match points against Gasquet. Yesterday I went to Wimbledon, and after enduring hours of boredom inducing rain-breaks, enlived only slightly by the inane chatter on Wimbledon FM, I made a decision to check out Court 17 and the Kyrgios v Vesely match rather than Court 1 where my ticket could have given me the chance to see the Serena v Cornet upset.

Surprisingly I managed to get a seat on court 17, anticipating it would be full of Aussie fans (it had a sizeable and noisy Aussie contingent, cheering their man on). The match with Vesely (himself a former junior world no 1 and slam champion) was a real high quality affair, and Kyrgios looks the real deal to me. Great temperament - combative, but in the right doses, plays the big points fantastically well and has good skills at the net in addition to the thumping groundstrokes. He also, importantly for today, has a sound defensive game.

From what I saw of Kyrgios, he definitely has a bright future, provided he avoids injury. He won't beat Nadal tomorrow, but he can certainly give him a scare, and I expect we'll see him really shoot up the rankings now he's into the top 100.

Jiri Vesely aint bad either - has a monstrous forehand and is tough to break - though slightly more one-dimensional than Kyrgios. For me, Kyrgios is definitely future top tenner and slam winner, Vesely looks top 20 material.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Nick Kyrgios - next big thing - Page 3 Empty Re: Nick Kyrgios - next big thing

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 02 Jul 2014, 3:27 am

summerblues wrote:Wow, that was very impressive from Nick.  I knew he had potential to be great from the moment I saw him at the AO, but I did not expect him to actually beat Rafa.  I was hoping for a good fight, and I thought he had it in him to keep it fairly close, if he could keep his composure, but I did not think he would win.

Obviously, long way to go to fulfill all his potential, but making (at least) QF of Wimbledon, having defeated Rafa on the way is as good a start as one can hope for.

Very happy with the result - both ways.

Well honestly neither did I expect him to beat Rafa  Very Happy , I was expecting a very good fight from him, but started to believe his chances after he lost the 2nd set, I actually saw the spark in his eyes after he lost the 2nd set , his eyes uttered the following words "Oh so you won the 2nd nice, but I won't let you take the match without a fight bring it on coz you will see what I will bring for u in the upcoming sets", and to my disbelief the kid ended up doing what I felt.

A great day for tennis, coz we got a next generation superstar we were waiting for ages.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Wed 02 Jul 2014, 4:16 pm

one thing kyrgios has to his advantage is that unlike raonic, cilic, dimitrov or others who appeared a couple of seasons ago, he faces nadal, djokovic, murray in their 28s and not in their 25s as the previous young guns did

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 02 Jul 2014, 4:23 pm

The whole thing is going to be a mix of the youngsters of the past gen not being good enough and the big 4 from 2003-13 being too good
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 02 Jul 2014, 4:24 pm

Now the aura of invincibility is slipping we'll see younger winners but a lot of that is mental
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:08 pm

Excellent tourney for Kyrgios. Wish him success in the future! We will be watching.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

Get off the challenger events Nick!

The wildcards are surely waiting.

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:21 pm

Disappointing loss, hopefully he'll bounce back. Scheduling was tough.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:30 pm

I am not surprised at all by the result today. The big thing for him now though is he now steps up consistently onto the big stage. I'll be looking out for his progress in the lesser tournaments.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Wed 02 Jul 2014, 8:35 pm

kyrgios looks good eventhough he lost today, but I admitt its a bit frustrating to see rafa losing against people that dont really do much after beating him

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Mon 26 Jan 2015, 8:34 am

Just shamelessly bumping this up! I personally the back to back 5 setters will have taken a lot out of him at this year's Aus Open and Murray will beat him in straight sets. Still, an impressive tournament - showed great steel and determination in beating Seppi over 5 sets. I wonder how high he'll be ranked after Aus Open?

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 26 Jan 2015, 9:30 am

He will be mid 30s if he loses to Murray, obviously considerably higher if he wins.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Mon 26 Jan 2015, 4:46 pm

how many matches he won after beating nadal? 7? and counting this ausopen

he will be good but dont know if anything else than a top 20 player

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 26 Jan 2015, 5:33 pm

Its his slam record which impresses though. Two QFs and a R3 in his last three slams marks him as potentially special. Compare that to the slam performances of Grigor or Raonic at that time in their development.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 26 Jan 2015, 11:11 pm

He's certainly made an impressive start. The first teenager to make two slam quarter finals since a certain Roger Federer Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon 26 Jan 2015, 11:18 pm

Beating Seppi from two sets down is also impressive, as is the win vs Gasquet.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 26 Jan 2015, 11:40 pm

I think Nadal also made two QFs as a teenager (RG 05 and 06). He turned 20 in the latter event after that round I believe. Still exalted company no doubt.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by rugbygod2 Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:52 pm

MrInvisible wrote:I'm ashamed to say I'd lost touch with the game of late and hadn't heard of Kyrgios until after he'd saved all those match points against Gasquet.  Yesterday I went to Wimbledon, and after enduring hours of boredom inducing rain-breaks, enlived only slightly by the inane chatter on Wimbledon FM, I made a decision to check out Court 17 and the Kyrgios v Vesely match rather than Court 1 where my ticket could have given me the chance to see the Serena v Cornet upset.

Surprisingly I managed to get a seat on court 17, anticipating it would be full of Aussie fans (it had a sizeable and noisy Aussie contingent, cheering their man on).  The match with Vesely (himself a former junior world no 1 and slam champion) was a real high quality affair, and Kyrgios looks the real deal to me.  Great temperament - combative, but in the right doses, plays the big points fantastically well and has good skills at the net in addition to the thumping groundstrokes.  He also, importantly for today, has a sound defensive game.

From what I saw of Kyrgios, he definitely has a bright future, provided he avoids injury.  He won't beat Nadal tomorrow, but he can certainly give him a scare, and I expect we'll see him really shoot up the rankings now he's into the top 100.

Jiri Vesely aint bad either - has a monstrous forehand and is tough to break - though slightly more one-dimensional than Kyrgios.  For me, Kyrgios is definitely future top tenner and slam winner, Vesely looks top 20 material.

hahaha Nick Kyrgios next big thing! you've got to be kidding me he has an arrogant mentality and got taught a lesson by Murray, Dimitrov is tennis' next big thing...awkward

rugbygod2

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:57 pm

rugbygod2 wrote:
MrInvisible wrote:I'm ashamed to say I'd lost touch with the game of late and hadn't heard of Kyrgios until after he'd saved all those match points against Gasquet.  Yesterday I went to Wimbledon, and after enduring hours of boredom inducing rain-breaks, enlived only slightly by the inane chatter on Wimbledon FM, I made a decision to check out Court 17 and the Kyrgios v Vesely match rather than Court 1 where my ticket could have given me the chance to see the Serena v Cornet upset.

Surprisingly I managed to get a seat on court 17, anticipating it would be full of Aussie fans (it had a sizeable and noisy Aussie contingent, cheering their man on).  The match with Vesely (himself a former junior world no 1 and slam champion) was a real high quality affair, and Kyrgios looks the real deal to me.  Great temperament - combative, but in the right doses, plays the big points fantastically well and has good skills at the net in addition to the thumping groundstrokes.  He also, importantly for today, has a sound defensive game.

From what I saw of Kyrgios, he definitely has a bright future, provided he avoids injury.  He won't beat Nadal tomorrow, but he can certainly give him a scare, and I expect we'll see him really shoot up the rankings now he's into the top 100.

Jiri Vesely aint bad either - has a monstrous forehand and is tough to break - though slightly more one-dimensional than Kyrgios.  For me, Kyrgios is definitely future top tenner and slam winner, Vesely looks top 20 material.

hahaha Nick Kyrgios next big thing! you've got to be kidding me he has an arrogant mentality and got taught a lesson by Murray, Dimitrov is tennis' next big thing...awkward

Sorry but you are way off the mark about the arrogant mentality thing. How many players in the sport today get beaten by a passing winner and audibly shout, 'Too good'. He does the same when he is aced. That doesn't strike me as arrogant at all. He is a refreshing addition to the tour and has a jovialism about him that is great to see. I hope they don't coach that out of him.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed 28 Jan 2015, 12:58 am

Hi CC ......I'm pretty much on the same wavelength wrt your assessment of Kyrgios. He brings something fresh & different to the tour, and boy do we need it. Of course, he must be careful not to cross the line where discipline, court etiquette & general behaviour are concerned - but overall I see him more as self-confident rather than arrogant.

It was a thoroughly professional performance by Andy last night, some mightily impressive defence/retrieving and a good benchmark by which Kyrgios could judge his own current level.

Meanwhile, wouldn't take rugbygod2's comments too seriously, safe to assume his interest lies in another sport (perhaps the username is the clue ..... ?!) and, judging from recent posts, I somehow doubt he has watched a whole lot of tennis over the years. Just a few days ago he was telling us that Dimitrov was looking every inch the next GOAT, and when this was met with a certain amount of healthy scepticism, the key evidence then given was the 'fact' that apparently Dimitrov had reached a Wimbledon semi at a younger age than even Federer (oh really ? ....), followed by "what's funny? by this age federer hadnt won any slams either" picard

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3