The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

+8
hampo17
Carrotdude
Good Golly I'm Olly
Corporalhumblebucket
king_carlos
kingdaveeagle
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship  Empty Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 05 Jul 2014, 2:42 pm

Surrey have named a thirteen man squad for the LV=County Championship match against Glamorgan at Colwyn Bay starting on Sunday.
Tillakaratne Dilshan is unavailable having returned to Sri Lanka for their upcoming three match ODI series against South Africa. Arun Harinath, Dominic Sibley, Tom Curran and Chris Tremlett all return to the squad for the trip to North Wales.
there is no place in the squad for stuart meaker  Wink 
The Surrey squad to play Glamorgan in the LV-County Championship at Colwyn Bay on Sunday 6th July, Monday 7th July, Tuesday 8th July and Wednesday 9th July:
Gary Wilson (capt)
Zafar Ansari
Gareth Batty
Rory Burns
Tom Curran
Steven Davies
Matthew Dunn
Arun Harinath
Tim Linley
Jason Roy
Dominic Sibley
Vikram Solanki
Chris Tremlett

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship  Empty Re: Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by guildfordbat Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:23 pm

Thanks, Jimbob.

Meaker's omission certainly attracting comments on social media.

Looks like a seamer will miss out along with Sibley or Harinath. My wild guess is that it'll be Sibley and Linley on the bench.

Not surprised but still disappointed that Lancefield has been left out of Glamorgan's squad.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship  Empty Re: Surrey vs Glamorgan LV=County Championship

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 05 Jul 2014, 3:43 pm

Presumably whoever out of Sibley of Harinath plays, they will open with Burns. Seems a bit odd given that we've finally got a reasonably successful opening partnership going. Also, I'd have played Meaker along with Tremlett, Dunn and Curran, but we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

PS. What's the story with O'Brien and his availability for the next T20 that I saw on another thread?

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sat 05 Jul 2014, 5:34 pm

Dave - I would expect Burns and Ansari to stay as openers with Harinath/Sibley having to fit in as required.

O'Brien is now off to play t20 in the Caribbean. Unlike Pietersen, I'm not sure when or even if he'll be back at the Oval.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sat 05 Jul 2014, 7:50 pm

Thanks Guildford - I'm surprised at that, although it seems to be all about the money these days. Noticed in the Mail today that KP has said that he is not going to play 4 day cricket for Surrey - thanks for that!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sat 05 Jul 2014, 8:31 pm

Evening all

As has so often been the case in recent summers I've struggled to make the time I'd like for cricket due to frustratingly timed work commitments. As such I've been absent from the boards for a little while.

Been keeping up with things when possible and have been pretty pleased over all. From my count in almost a month away we've won 2 drawn 2 in the CC and won 5 lost 2 in the T20.

Not a bad return although failing to close out the CC game vs Gloucs (sounded a terrific innings from Cockbain) was frustrating. Also the increasing penchant for allowing annoying last wicket partnerships is worrying.

Sitting 16 points back in third having played more games than any other Division 2 side I have a bad feeling this could be a season we come to rue a poor start however. Hopefully I'm proved a pessimist  Fingers Crossed 

Great to see Roy scoring prolifically after all the promise he has shown.  clap

1.Burns
2.Ansari
3.Sibley or Harinath
4.Solanki
5.Davies
6.Roy
7.Wilson (wk) (c)
8.Batty
9.Curran or Linley
10.Tremlett
11.Dunn

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:06 am

I guess that Sibley will play ahead of Harinath and that probably the Viscount will miss out from the seamers.

Has King Carlos abdicated, or was it another monarch that stepped down to make way for a younger player.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Glamorgan won the toss and decided to bat
sibley and the viscount miss out

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:33 pm

glamorgan 43 for 4
2 wkts each for tremlett and curran  Very Happy 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:12 pm

4 overs for 32 from clive  Doh 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:38 pm

"Good call on the starting eleven, Guildford!".

Aww gee, guys, don't mention it! Wink

Anyway, 81/4 at lunch. Great to get the wickets but Charlie Cooke is now motoring whilst we're once more in danger of making Allenby seem more like Sobers than a weekend club cricketer. Important to get those two early in the afternoon session. If we do, we'll be in a very strong position. Mustn't let it slip ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:17 pm

Glam 190 - 8 as Tremlett gets Allenby caught by Roy. So far 4 wickets for Curran, 3 for Tremlett and 1 for (the expensive) Clive

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:51 pm

232 all out. Not bad - would have settled for that at the start but not when they were 15-3!

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:10 pm

Well the game has ceratinly moved on - unless the weather intervenes, we should have about 40 overs to bat today. Very likely already that there'll be a winner of this match - that's good for us although, as Dave suggests, I feel we could have built better on our early strong position.

Clive was definitely expensive although he did bowl 3 successive maidens at the start and then got taken off. Hard to be too critical as his replacement Curran was soon amongst the wickets. However - as I've banged on about on the t20 threads - I feel there's a lot to be said for keeping a bowler (especially a young bowler) on if he finds early rhythm. As seen today with Dunn, it's not always to rediscover it.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:14 pm

guildfordbat wrote:"Good call on the starting eleven, Guildford!".

Aww gee, guys, don't mention it! Wink     
 Laugh  

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:29 pm

Hopefully Glam scoring rate will be indicative of this being a fast scoring ground once batsmen get set.

Burns and Ansari making customary sedate start. Let's hope they can build on that.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:56 pm

51* opening partnership. Useful start.  Very Happy 

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 5:46 pm

50 for third degree  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 6:04 pm

100 partnership  clap clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 6:34 pm

50 for son of boris  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 06 Jul 2014, 6:42 pm

stumps 121 for 0 excellent first day  Very Happy 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 06 Jul 2014, 6:59 pm

Extremely fine start made by Burns and Ansari, following the earlier success of Tremlett and Curran. I still remember how we crumbled on day 4 in the season's opener at the Oval aganst Glamorgan so I'm not counting chickens yet. However, we're in a bl**dy good position.

Credit to Tremlett. He's generally been tidy and started to pick up more wickets as the season has gone on. He's been a lot better than I expected and is certainly one reason why Meaker is unhappily tweeting on the sidelines.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Sun 06 Jul 2014, 8:00 pm

Excellent batting.  Ansari has now scored 1 century and 6 half centuries in first class cricket this season.  clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 06 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm

That's pretty much as good as it'll get for a day folks!!
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun 06 Jul 2014, 8:04 pm

Corporalhumblebucket wrote:
Has King Carlos abdicated, or was it another monarch that stepped down to make way for a younger player.

I believe King Carlos did abdicate yes. Ironically as the King of Spain his abdication came fairly close to the removal of crickets King of Spain from his throne...  Whistle 

A really strong first day. Congratulations to Tremlett especially for his 5 fer. He's taken plenty of stick lately, some deserved for below par performances and some which selectors should have footed for picking him when not ready. However he's been building steadily this season and the wickets are beginning to come now.  clap 

Very pleased to see Burns and Ansari seem to be developing a much wanted reliable opening partnership.

Finally whilst Meaker has been inconsistent he's a player we really can't afford to lose. Pace bowlers take time to develop and having made the investment of giving him experience when he was leaking runs and struggling for wickets in the early days it would be really poor to lose him now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 07 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

Still a lot of hard work to do today. Should be looking for a lead of at least 150. However, for now, one session at a time ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 11:24 am

Bevan and Church hatching up plans to set up egg & bacon production.  Taking advantage of the number of B & Bs in Colwyn Bay.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

Burns out for 97 Sad

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:05 pm

Burns and in particular Ansari seemed to have got a bit tied down and impatient.  Sad  Sounds like a high scoring ground if the batsman really gets himself in.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:18 pm

Harinath struggling at the moment and Ansari bogged down.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon 07 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm

Not sure if we have any Glamorgan fans on here but I was wondering what they thought about David Lloyd and Will Owen? I grew up playing against both of them, and played representitive cricket with Will, both top lads.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:01 pm

239 - 1 at lunch.  After a very sticky start Harinath went onto the attack to reach 45*.  Ansari has kept the other end quiet.  Surrey lead by 7.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:06 pm

hampo171 wrote:Not sure if we have any Glamorgan fans on here but I was wondering what they thought about David Lloyd and Will Owen? I grew up playing against both of them, and played representitive cricket with Will, both top lads.

I saw David Lloyd, aka Bumble, bat.  Wink   Don't think I have seen any younger versions of David Lloyd playing though!

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:23 pm

A good start to the second day. Now aim for 350 by tea with at least 6 wickets left ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:51 pm

50* for Harinath.  clap

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm

What has Harinath been smoking Wink

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:24 pm

No solanki out first ball Sad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 2:54 pm

100 for son of Boris Smile

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 5:43 pm

yet again missed out on full batting points  mad 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 6:19 pm

50 for roy  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 07 Jul 2014, 6:23 pm

400 up sadly 5 overs too late  furious 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Mon 07 Jul 2014, 7:33 pm

hampo171 wrote:Not sure if we have any Glamorgan fans on here but I was wondering what they thought about David Lloyd and Will Owen? I grew up playing against both of them, and played representitive cricket with Will, both top lads.

Yeah, played against David Lloyd a lot growing up. Looked a bit out of his depth at County Level so far, as well as at Minor County level. Dewi Jones is playing Glam 2s at the moment too, another lad from Brymbo, might be a better bet. He's probably a bit too young for you to have played against though Hampo.  Wink 

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Mon 07 Jul 2014, 10:47 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:400 up sadly 5 overs too late  furious 

Harinath, Davies, and Wilson all scored fairly briskly today - and Roy scored at a run a ball.  The isssue in terms of missing a fifth batting point was that Ansari really did get stuck into a Ken Barrington attritional mode.  Not sure that I want to be too critical of that, as the end result today is that by close this evening we have got a pretty solid lead of 168 and hopefully can press on in the morning to extend lead well beyond 200 and still allow ourselves reasonable time to dismiss Glam for a second time.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 07 Jul 2014, 11:26 pm

Corporal - yes, with you on that about the scoring rate. JimBob likes his 5 batting points when we can get them which is totally understandable. However, it was always going to be hard to reach the maximum points amount without running the risk of being all out for some way south of 400. I'm happy with where we are tonight.

Crack on in the morning for maybe an hour and hopefully 60 or so more runs (definitely more if Roy sees out the hour!). Then let the bowlers get at 'em a second time.

The one aspect I woiuld probably be most critical about is that our bowlers didn't keep it tight enough on day one. Admittedly, part of that is almost certainly due to the Glamorgan batsmen being overly adventurous. Nonetheless, having bowled them all out in just above 50 overs, I would expect them to have totalled more like 150 than 230 odd (ie around 3 or less per over rather than 4.5). If we had done that, our lead now would be even more substantial and we would have more time to bowl them out a second time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:20 am

Upon noticing that Davies scored 37 of the 46 runs in his and Ansari's partnership I couldn't help but feel a bit concerned by Ansari getting bogged down. At the same time though I also think it's fair to take the Boycott view of things and point out that when that partnership came to end Ansari was still in the middle. Doesn't matter how quickly you can score runs you can't score them in the shower.

Also I'd much rather our worry for a few young batsmen in FC cricket was them scoring a bit slowly than not scoring at all! If he can work out how to score runs now whilst being shoved all over the order that's a sign to me he will work out a way to manufacture runs from tight bowling.

18 more added without loss for 418/5 this morning.

Last edited by king_carlos on Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:21 am

Commentators curse there sorry chaps  Doh 

Roy run out for 70

419/6 from 120 overs

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:37 am

lead now 200  clap clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Jul 2014, 11:44 am

Just hope the weather doesn't become too much of a factor - bucketing down now in my neck of the woods!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 08 Jul 2014, 12:32 pm

50 for harold  clap 

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 08 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm

Not convinced by our tactics. 26 off the last 10 overs which included two sixes!

I understand about grinding the opposition down but we could end up with egg on our faces if rain wipes out a lot of play today and/or tomorrow. I would have liked at least 50 minutes at Glamorgan this morning.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next