The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

+32
Andy48
lydian
banbrotam
bogbrush
coolpixel
TRuffin
slashermcguirk
break_in_the_fifth
Good Golly I'm Olly
lorus59
naxroy
mthierry
ChequeredJersey
Henman Bill
reckoner
Lionel Hutz
kingraf
FedsFan
lags72
summerblues
JuliusHMarx
Josiah Maiestas
The Special Juan
Silver
LuvSports!
Gerry SA
Born Slippy
Jahu
HM Murdock
sirfredperry
laverfan
invisiblecoolers
36 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all Empty Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:04 am

Awesome match and a fitting climax for a tournament full of upsets, its Wimbledon Final come Sunday and it will be contested by 7 time Champion Roger Federer and the No.1 Seed Novak Djokovic.

Federer

Key Strengths - Experience , Grass court movements, Serve and finally anticipation.

A-Game - Serve, volley, aggression, grass court movements, big forehands [all], backhand slices, topspins and flatout shots DTL and experience in handling points and holding nerves.

Weakness - Lack of Stamina to play a longer 5 set game [compared to his prime], Mid match focus lapse, Loops balls on backhands, slow 2nd servers [off late a big problem].

Crowd Support - Big time on, will be undoubtedly the crowd favorite , 80-20 should be expected.

Historical Achievement - First ever Men's Champion of all time [Yes all time] to win 8 Wimbledon  titles. 18 Grand Slams.  censored 

Djokovic

Key Strengths - Return, movement, stamina, Backhand [all], Big points play.

A-Game - Backhand [all], Forehand  [all], Super Serbian Serves, Rebound Aces [Returns], Pace Variance [Slow and Fast Mix], passing shots, lobs, slices, top spins, volleys, drop shots.

Weakness - Grass court movements, lack of confidence, mid match focus lapse pressure to perform and Lack of Crowd Support

Crowd Support - Generally loves to play against the crowd, it won't be different tomorrow, 20% plus support should be expected.

Historical Achievement - Multiple Wimbledon Winner, World No. Status

H2H

In General - Federer 16-14
@Wimbledon - Federer 1-0
@GS Finals - Federer 1-0
@GS - Federer 6-5
@All Finals Djoko 5-4

Wimbledon 2014 Stats

Djoko vs Fed

Aces - 73 vs 69
DF - 9 vs 5
1st Serve in 68 vs 66
Server Broken 8 vs 1
Service Held - 93% vs 98%
Forehand Winners 53 vs 56
Backhand Winner 55 vs 31
Time on Court 15:09 vs 10:16

Prediction: Djoko is more or less determined and I guess destined to win his 2nd Wimbledon given his age , stamina and experienced coach Becker.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all Empty Re: Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 06 Jul 2014, 3:47 am

How sad all these European posters has gone for a sleep, wakie wakie the finals already started.

Btw Bouchard getting bagelled in the finals is what Canadian Tennis really want  picard 

Genie could have inspired Canadian Kids to take Tennis seriously but now they are back to basics and Hockey.  picard 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all Empty Re: Wimbledon Mens Final - Where it ends all

Post by laverfan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 4:21 am

Give Bouchard till next year, iC. She will have the Rosewater dish (or she will walk away with Bieber - Wink ).

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 06 Jul 2014, 6:13 am

laverfan wrote:Give Bouchard till next year, iC. She will have the Rosewater dish (or she will walk away with Bieber - Wink ).

I will completely forgot the moronic girl if she was serious about her Bieber comment, such a talent and beauty would spoiled by the dumb brat Bieber.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 06 Jul 2014, 7:40 am

Djoko will surely play a lot better today than last year against Andy. But this is a Wimbledon final against Fed who has only lost one of them and that in thsat five-set epic with Rafa in 08.
Cooler conditions may help Djoko who seemed to wilt in the heat last year and was probably worn out after his own epic with del Potty in the semis.
As it was with the women (and look how close that was !) this is a difficult one to call. Would ANY scoreline be a surprise ? Probably not.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 06 Jul 2014, 8:58 am

Two ways of looking at this.

The first tells us that Federer has the advantage in terms of form and grass court play but Djokovic as the physical advantage. That should make it a close-ish, decent game.

The second way is to observe one of tennis' recent maxims: DJOKOVIC DOES NOT WIN SLAMS ANYMORE.

I actually feel a little bit sad today. If Federer wins (and my feeling is that he will), I think that could be it for Novak. Mentally crushed by 6 defeats out of 7 slam finals and with his first child soon to arrive, today could mark the start of his descent from the top. I don't think he has the game to stick around into his 30s like Federer.

So my feeling today is a bit like the last day of a holiday. I want to savour it but there is some sadness at the ride likely coming to an end.

Not that I'd be upset about a Federer victory in itself. If fact, I'd rather like to see the record stretched to 18.

The downside of these finals where you like both players is that, although you are guaranteed satisfaction with the result, you are also guaranteed a little disappointment too!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:03 am

Incidentally, I saw some nice words from Federer today about the oft-discussed rivalry and relationship he has with Novak:

We didn't come through the rankings together, so I was established while he was coming up. We saw each other in a different light than we see each other today when we're both ranked high, we both achieved a lot. Things have clearly changed over time. Ever since he's won Grand Slams and became world number one, it's been a cool rivalry.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:07 am

HMM, dont start this again. Djoko cant win, Djoko cant close it, Djoko brainfart.

Fed is even worst, on all those deprtments.

Djoko can still recover and win more, Fed is history.

Lets hope its a 5 setter close to 2008, but then again there can only be one winner if it goes 5 sets, and it aint the old man.

Go Fed go, win in 4.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:45 am

Fed favourite for me. If a player like Dimitrov is pushing Djokovic then the likelihood is that Fed will take him apart. Fed in 4.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun 06 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

Jahu, the rational doesn't come into this anymore.

Of course Djokovic CAN win... it's just that he tends not to!

Federer will probably have lapses. I doubt though that these lapses will cause him to move like he is drunk, glare at his box and look to the heavens at the sheer injustice of his opponent hitting a good shot.

That kind of nonsense will cost Novak today if he starts doing it.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:10 am

Bit of rain forcasted around 19:00 otherwise cloudy and cool uo to 19C.

Lets see how the roof is managed, thought with Djoko open or closed, its all the same, no advantage for either.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:26 am

The final is much more crucial for Djokovic than Federer IMO.

If Djokovic loses another final he'll have lost 8 finals, and he may well end up surpassing Lendl's 11 major final runners up(a record).

Whereas for Federer, he's already been written off for the last couple of years. The motivation for Federer is that getting up to 18 majors will probably stop Nadal surpassing him.

Djokovic needs it more than Federer at this moment in time.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:38 am

Agree, but the world wants to see Fed do 18. Does Djoko lose 8 finals, is purely his personal problem, while Fed going to 18GS is a Global wish.

Nadal biting his nails today, praying for Djoko to win.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:42 am

ALLEZ FEDS! Im back for the final Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:48 am

Welcome back LS! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:51 am

I am going to go for Federer in 4.

He has played seamlessly this tournament. Novak needs to up it a few gears if he is to win.

Little bit of history beckons!

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 06 Jul 2014, 10:53 am

Cheers LK! 5 months 2day since I left, odd being back home. How are ya?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Wow, LS is back - welcome! How've you been? Smile

As for the final, this is one of those odd matchups where virtually any scoreline is possible. I'll be rooting for Federer, though I also don't want to see Novak lose for reasons that HM has pointed out. Above all, let's hope we get a good match, as we so often do with these two.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

A very interesting final in prospect today for pretty much all reasons mentioned so far.  I don't think I'll watch all of it (the tears are forming as I type this) but I'll try to dip in and out.  I will watch the men's singles with obstacles mixed doubles final though.

Good luck to both sets of fans today.  Only 1 set will come out on top but if it's an all-time classic hopefully the runners-up won't feel too disappointed.  For the record, I'm with Federer today.  Just.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:31 am

I am doing good thanks LS Smile

Glad you are well and have enjoyed your time away from the forum. You looking forward to the final?

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:31 am

Bold prediction:

Whoever wins the last set will win the match  OK 

I humbly expect 4 sets and a lot of delicious drop shots/passing shots. Federer loos alot more confident on grass than Novak and whoever believes "oh Novak will get this after all his recent final losses" doesn't know much about tennis. Just because you "need it after losing many times" won't make your timing, composure and strategy any better. Good luck to both however  clap 
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:33 am

Fan blooming tastic I have ta Silver, hope ur gd! Smile. I will blog about my time away Smile
Very nervy for the final, as I always am with feds. Do I dare to dream?!?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:33 am

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/28176400

I don't know what McEnroe has against Federer. Never ever backs him for anything Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:35 am

Gerry SA wrote:The final is much more crucial for Djokovic than Federer IMO.

If Djokovic loses another final he'll have lost 8 finals, and he may well end up surpassing Lendl's 11 major final runners up(a record).

Whereas for Federer, he's already been written off for the last couple of years. The motivation for Federer is that getting up to 18 majors will probably stop Nadal surpassing him.

It's equally crucial for both as neither player has won a slam in 18+ months.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:38 am

Silver wrote:Wow, LS is back - welcome! How've you been? Smile

As for the final, this is one of those odd matchups where virtually any scoreline is possible. I'll be rooting for Federer, though I also don't want to see Novak lose for reasons that HM has pointed out. Above all, let's hope we get a good match, as we so often do with these two.
I kinda wish Novak had won the USO or RG so he wouldn't be as bothered if he ends up the runner up again.

Now he's gonna be extra motivated  steam Run Sad 
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:40 am

legendkillarV2 wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/28176400

I don't know what McEnroe has against Federer. Never ever backs him for anything Laugh

I stopped reading when he inferred Dimitrov was more talented than Federer.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:43 am

The Special Juan wrote:
legendkillarV2 wrote:http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/28176400

I stopped reading when he inferred Dimitrov was more talented than Federer.

Laugh

You cannot be serious!

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

"In the semi-final against Grigor Dimitrov he overcame a very tough opponent - arguably the most talented guy out there - and can draw a lot of positives from that match."

Just..... what?? What is that?? Mac CAN'T be serious.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Sun 06 Jul 2014, 11:52 am

Has to said, there is a simply huge amount of pressure on Fed. He must feel he is the favourite against Djokovic on grass but at the same time he must also know that this is likely to be his last chance at a slam final. He has come out flat a few times when history beckoned (Wim 09 and the Olympic final spring to mind). If Novak can hit him hard early on and gets ahead then he could possibly do it.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:02 pm

Can't decide who I think will win or who I'd like to win.
Federer, as it may well be his last chance, or Djoko, because it would be a shame if he just keeps losing GS finals. I suspect I'll make my mind up sometime during the match.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:12 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Can't decide who I think will win or who I'd like to win.
Federer, as it may well be his last chance, or Djoko, because it would be a shame if he just keeps losing GS finals. I suspect I'll make my mind up sometime during the match.

At the end when the victor is holding the trophy? Run
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm

The Special Juan wrote:
JuliusHMarx wrote:Can't decide who I think will win or who I'd like to win.

At the end when the victor is holding the trophy?  Run

Smile I meant for who I'd like to win. At some point I'll find myself cheering for one or the other. For example, if the first set is a tie-break and Djoko is 6-2 up, I wouldn't want him to blow 4 set points, but if he got 2 lucky net cords to go from 4-5 to 6-5, I'd probably want Fed to win the tie-break.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:23 pm

Hello LS, welcome back here too Smile

I go with Fed - he has looked the better player so far this tournament and he does not have the same issue with Nole as he does with Rafa where looking better in the early rounds counts for nothing.

I say in four, or maybe even straight, sets.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Sun 06 Jul 2014, 12:48 pm

Federer's last four finals at Wimbledon:

2007: 5 set thriller
2008: 5 set thriller/GOAT match candidate
2009: 5 set thriller
2012: 4 set thriller, high quality match

Are we in for a classic? Wink

LuvSports! wrote:Fan blooming tastic I have ta Silver, hope ur gd! Smile. I will blog about my time away Smile
Very nervy for the final, as I always am with feds. Do I dare to dream?!?

I'm well, thanks Smile Terrific, look forward to reading - and yes, dare to dream! The old campaigner has every chance.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:10 pm

Gerry SA wrote:The final is much more crucial for Djokovic than Federer IMO.

A good assessment overall, and I would agree that there is clearly far more on the line here for Djokovic than there is for Federer.

Djokovic's star has undoubtedly waned somewhat since his wonder season of 2011. Whilst he could never be reasonably expected to repeat such an impressive run of victories, nor did anyone imagine that he would so soon acquire a habit of losing Slam Finals in his prime years. He will be desperate to stop the rot (and I believe he will do so).

He has come into this Wimbledon as the No.1 seed, and with the imperative to get back on track by adding to his Slam tally. These should, after all, be the 'winning years' because once you hit 30, history shows that the really big trophies dry up. Djokovic's precise place in the tennis hall of fame will be ultimately defined by how he performs over the next two or three years.

In stark contrast, his opponent Federer is the oldest Wimbledon finalist in the past 40 years. Few seriously expected him to make another Wimby Final -  his surprising 2012 win was widely regarded as his very last hurrah, and we're now another two years further on. The Federer book of achievements was written quite some time ago, the legacy is secure and anything from hereon in is essentially a supplementary chapter rather than career-defining material.

Most of the game's past greats had retired well before Federer's current age, and those who WERE still playing had pretty much written off all hope of ever getting to another Slam final, let alone winning one.

In terms of a one-off contest, I see today's clash in the way that many do - ie finely-balanced. The Federer grass pedigree obviously counts for a lot, but the age gap is significant, especially if it goes the distance. Federer's wins during the fortnight have come easier than Djoko's, but that may or may not prove to be ideal preparation. Djokovic has found a way to get through tricky moments and testing matches, and I am convinced this will have given him a lot of confidence. I have a hunch that Djokovic is now set to produce his most convincing performance of the tourney, and I go with him in four.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:34 pm

Oh, and not to forget:  Good luck Roger!

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:39 pm

Since match is starting soon, can we keep the 5 meter long elaborate thesis comments, for after the match.

Lets keep it within a few lines of sentences, so I dont have to scroll so much on my phone  Laugh 
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:40 pm

Jahu wrote:Agree, but the world wants to see Fed do 18. Does Djoko lose 8 finals, is purely his personal problem, while Fed going to 18GS is a Global wish.

Nadal biting his nails today, praying for Djoko to win.

Do you really think so? A Djokovic win means he is back to #1 and again Nadal loses that edge he worked so hard for last year.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:47 pm

Nadal does not want Fed to 18GS. Nadal can take a loss of No1, not first time for him. No harm there.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:49 pm

Thank f*ck that McEnroe is commentating for American broadcasters today and not the Beeb!

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 1:50 pm

I think this is bigger for Roger than it is for Novak. This is a huge deal for Roger as he does not know how many more years he has to win another slam. He would want to get 8 Wimbledon titles as that would see him as the greatest here and I think that would be a fitting end to his career considering all the results he has had here and on grass in general.
Also, this will put a tiny bit of space between him and Nadal although it will not matter too much because Nadal will catch him anymore in the next year or so the way he is going.

I have been looking at various bits and pieces and I hope this will not be like the 1984 final where a 32 yr old Connors (same age as Fed now) came out and got blasted off the court by McEnroe.

It is also interesting to note that Kvitova won her 1st title in 2011 as did Novak. Kvitova triumphed again yesterday. So will the two first timer winners of 2011 be the champions again this year?

First set is key here. Roger loses that and he has an uphill battle simply due to Novak's fitness. Unlike Murray last year, Federer won't have the advantage of a exhausted Djokovic as the semi was not as draining as the one vs Dimi.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:03 pm

Jahu wrote:Nadal does not want Fed to 18GS. Nadal can take a loss of No1, not first time for him. No harm there.

Hardly a huge difference between 18 and 14 to be honest. That is 4 slams to equal and one to take the record. That is very possible in the space of 18-24 months by Nadal.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:04 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Thank f*ck that McEnroe is commentating for American broadcasters today and not the Beeb!

Mac usually does the job for NBC and not BBC

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

Glad to see James Keothavong umpiring. Least we have a Brit in the final  raspberry 

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

Lets go Roger lets go.

Last edited by Jahu on Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:08 pm

Djokovic has spent 5 hours more on court than Federer. Could that be a factor today?

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:09 pm

Perfect start from a Fed fan point of view is for Novak to be broken just just for Roger to get into Novak's head.

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by FedsFan Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:10 pm

legendkillarV2 wrote:Djokovic has spent 5 hours more on court than Federer. Could that be a factor today?

You can then say 5 years age difference would make a HUGE difference

FedsFan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:11 pm

Steady with BH.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jahu Sun 06 Jul 2014, 2:12 pm

Fed vs Djoko

Edberg vs Becker the tax dodger.

Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next