The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ????

+11
theanimal316
Strongback
Rowley
ONETWOFOREVER
JabMachineMK2
AdamT
milkyboy
jimdig
Eyetoldyouso
Derbymanc
TRUSSMAN66
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ???? - Page 2 Empty Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 am

First topic message reminder :

Notice some are moaning about Manny's new opponent...........I'm not....

The guy is a world champion like it or not..........and If World champion was an easy title to get...You'd have more than one or two over here !!

Maidana was a world champion who'd beaten a top 15 p4per in his last fight......Most fighters would have loved his scalp post-Broner...

Manny-May etc are "fighters" they should be regarded with other fighters and not forced to have to fight "special competitions..."

It's called the P4P list..............There isn't a "Great p4p list" with two fighters on it !! Hence Mayweather, Manny etc are to be judged with their contemporaries...........Why should they be treated differently.....Why should they fight better opponents..

If Hagler had given up the middle and fought Leslie stewart in 87 would people be moaning he's picked on a weak alphabet champ.......No would they hell..........Hagler would have needed ambition for that though !!

Never been a time in recent history  1940-present where a Champion has consistently fought the best out there and not had easy scraps.........Ali-Coopman, Bugner, Evangelista...........Holmes fought two/three decent guys in his whole reign and ducked Page for the IBF.......Look at Honey's reign...............Beat one welter in three defences....and Duff admitted ducking Breland..

All this is conveniently forgotten...Even Curry beat Larocca, Stafford and Rodriguez...

If Curry had moved up pre-Honey and took on Duane Thomas do we burn him for cherrypicking...No.. !!

No reason the greats of today should fight hard fights all the time..............After all why break with tradition !!

If a guy is a world champion then he's a legitimate opponent for anybody........and when they are so easy to win that Britain can manage a few....

Then moan about the elite fighters opposition then.....

Mayweather - Manny are good enough to grace any era and be succesful....................Get over it !! and that's what it's all about...

Sorry to tell you this but Mayweather/Manny beat Canzoneri all day and every day........It hurts doesn't it..I know !!

Mayweather/Manny won't be around much longer ....My advice enjoy them while you can....

Because there is sack all coming up to replace them..

Should they fight tough fights all the time..............Nope.......

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ????

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:34 pm

Yeah you'd love Floyd to show you his gifts wouldn't you?

Be nice if Floyd even bothered to face someone who could give us a glimpse of what this famed "A game" of his is, but he's terrified of losing that precious "0" and will continue to kid everyone that his latest opponent is the most dangerous foe he's ever faced. He's becoming like Wlad trying to sell us his latest turd-fest. Least Floyd has the opportunity to moved about the weights seeking a challenge but fails to do so.

Like I said Muncher, he claims he's the greatest ever but does little to convince those people who don't automatically drop their panties, turn around and bend over screaming "TAKE ME NOW FLOYD! whenever he does anything.

Back to top Go down

Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ???? - Page 2 Empty Re: Why should Manny/May fight hard fights all the time ????

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:35 pm

You really want me to respond to that crap..............I'll chuck a bone..

Five current top 10 p4pers..........No other fighter bar Leonard has fought that many..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:42 pm

Are you really going to try and sell face first plodder Maidana as something to be admired? The guy beaten by Khan and taken to the brink by old old old Erik Morales. Wow, Marcos beat Broner A THREE WEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION (who was only recently beating up Gavin Rees for sh!ts and giggles...woweeee he must be incredible)

Ortiz?

Guerrero?

Past his best Cotto?

I give him the Alvarez win, that was good but basically Floyd's been masterful at capitalizing on the flavor of the month fighter and selling it to his "adoring fans"

Lube yourself up though TRUSSY, Floyd says he's going to slip you something special real soon!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 pm

I'm away for a few days..............So let's just say you're right !!Cool 

Who cares If he fought the number 1 at 154...24 pounds higher than his first title !!......Or schooled JMM before he flattened Manny!!.....Or that he's beaten five current top p4pers !!....Or that Jabby says he's the best fighter he's ever sparred with !!.......

Take care and feel proud of your arguments....

Been under the kosch debating you all day !!  thumbsup 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:01 pm

My boxing knowledge pales in comparison to most of you, but from a quick look at their records I see some huge names on there.
Mayweather: Alvarez, Cotto, Mosley (albeit not Shane in his prime), JMM, Hatton, De La Hoya
Pacman: Bradley, JMM x4, Mosley (same as Floyd, a past it Mosley), Hatton, De La Hoya, Barrera x2, Morales x3.

I think they have generally fought the best, except each other, especially when they were in their prime. There are some glaring omissions from both records that they probably should have fought yes but their list of opponents have massive names and great fighters on them. Sometimes fights just don't happen for particular reasons, I don't necessarily think it is cherry picking in their cases.

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:13 pm

The situation is eerily similar to Hagler and Leonard, granted that was the fault of one man but it was a fight that happened a good 5 years after it should have done. Were Pacquiao and Mayweather to fight now it would still be a huge fight but not as big as it would have been in 09/10.

If they never face eachother then it's a different kettle of fish but in reality how relevant was the fight between Leonard and Hagler aside from the underdog controversially winning?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:27 pm

... the fault of the guy with the detached retina... and subsequent coke habit Wink 

Not sure you can say it was leonard's fault he didnt go up in weight to fight hagler 5 years earlier when you look at who he had fought and that he then stopped fighting. Had he been filling his days fighting a bunch of no marks, that would be a fairer criticism. Admittedly, he did yank marv's chain a few times during his retirement.

I agree its a fight that would have had more credence had it happened earlier, but when it did happen, leonard was seen as the lamb to the slaughter... marv's 'decline' (based predominantly around the fact that mugabi gave him a tough fight) is pretty much a retrospective position... and one enhanced by leonard saying he'd spotted things in the mugabi fight.

manny floyd would be similar, it would still have some relevance and i'd still like to see it... just as i looked forward to seeing leonard hagler, but i agree its a fight you'd watch wishing you'd seen how they fared 5 years earlier.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 pm

The reason why Mayweather v Pacquiao fight didn't happen was because Roger and Floyd Sr thought Manny was a drugged up bogie man. They were scared sh!tless of him.

Last edited by Strongback on Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:41 pm

milkyboy wrote:... the fault of the guy with the detached retina... and subsequent coke habit Wink 

Not sure you can say it was leonard's fault he didnt go up in weight to fight hagler 5 years earlier when you look at who he had fought and that he then stopped fighting. Had he been filling his days fighting a bunch of no marks, that would be a fairer criticism. Admittedly, he did yank marv's chain a few times during his retirement.

I agree its a fight that would have had more credence had it happened earlier, but when it did happen, leonard was seen as the lamb to the slaughter... marv's 'decline' (based predominantly around the fact that mugabi gave him a tough fight) is pretty much a retrospective position... and one enhanced by leonard saying he'd spotted things in the mugabi fight.

manny floyd would be similar, it would still have some relevance and i'd still like to see it... just as i looked forward to seeing leonard hagler, but i agree its a fight you'd watch wishing you'd seen how they fared 5 years earlier.
To say it was Leonard's fault sounds harsh, but he definitely made all the calls. The ball was always in his court as they say.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 pm

That's fair comment Atila... thought I might drag you out of your lair with my obligatory Leonard defending fella Wink 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:02 pm

milkyboy wrote:That's  fair comment Atila... thought I might drag you out of your lair with my obligatory Leonard defending fella Wink 
I understand why you defend him. He is your how do they say it? Man crush?

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:19 pm

I'm a sucker for pretty boys. I can see you like a bit of rough.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:37 pm

Fair points... But I think all great fighters should always fight the best... and your wins be regarded more and losses counted for less...

If the best always fought the best then peoples 0 would not be so valid as no one would have one, and if someone did, there would be no doubt at all that they are value for it.

That being said I agree that while there are many out there who pick and choose, then the great fighters should also get that honor... then again, they are also there to sell fights.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by Yojimbonufc Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:16 pm

I can understand the Maidana rematch for May, as long as he's not bribing him to use extra soft and squishy gloves. He's called money for a reason and knows the rematch will sell.

After the first fight was so competitive, and with his legs apparently starting to go, anything could happen. If he gets through that, then hopefully His next fight is another hungry fighter who will push and pressure him.

As for Manny, he's still pulling himself back up after some losses. Algieri is an undefeated champ coming off a legit win. His height and range should ask some good questions for pac. As with Maidana, he has the hunger and confidence and wouldn't be taking the fight just for the pay day.

Yojimbonufc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2