The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Froch v DeGale

+18
sittingringside
jimdig
tunes666
3fingers
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
Seanusarrilius
mobilemaster8
TopHat24/7
Strongback
catchweight
Derbymanc
Dipper Brown
owen10ozzy
TRUSSMAN66
CallMeBenji
kingraf
Sugar Boy Sweetie
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Froch v DeGale  Empty Froch v DeGale

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:58 am

Few whispers on twitter that this fight is now gonna be made. So, two questions about it; is it a good fight for MatchRoom in terms of public appeal (TV, arena etc) and the fact that one of their fighters has the potential to lose stock depending on the outcome?

Secondly, who wins and why?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Froch v DeGale  Empty Re: Froch v DeGale

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:02 am

Yeah, good fight. Especially for Hearn. He didn't actually have Groves, so that was a sort of gritted teeth thing, but this he'll love. Froch wins, off to Vegas for a Swansong. Chunky wins, sort of "the king is dead. long live the king" as Hearn has a new money spinner at 168.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Fri 18 Jul 2014, 10:30 am

I'll nail my colours to the mast now - DeGale wins. I can't quite fully justify my reasoning yet but I just have a feeling that his style is all wrong for Froch. I see it being a similar kind of fight to the Direll fight. JDG will barely be able to put a dint in Froch all night but I just don't see Froch catching him cleanly all night.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:18 am

Not going to happen...

Nothing in it for Froch

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:32 am

CallMeBenji wrote:I'll nail my colours to the mast now - DeGale wins. I can't quite fully justify my reasoning yet but I just have a feeling that his style is all wrong for Froch. I see it being a similar kind of fight to the Direll fight. JDG will barely be able to put a dint in Froch all night but I just don't see Froch catching him cleanly all night.

You don't see Froch catching him!? A man who has got into the bad habit of sitting on the ropes throughout his career and taking unnecessary punishment? DeGale has been caught clean plenty of times and whilst he has decent boxing ability it isn't anywhere near as good as some people would have you believe.

He lacks any serious power to keep Froch off him, he isn't mobile or good enough on the back foot to keep out of danger and he can't fight for a full 3 minutes. If it happens I expect Froch to wipe him out within 6 rounds....and that's a prediction from someone who is of the belief that Froch is their for the taking at this stage of his career.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:41 am

I can only echo what Owen has said. Don't think DeGale would have an answer to Froch's work rate and pressure. Though I think he may have better whiskers than Groves, he won't have the power to keep Froch off him or the dig to punish Froch's mistakes. Mid to late stoppage.

I think Froch will take the fight. Can't see it being in a stadium however.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMeBenji Fri 18 Jul 2014, 11:58 am

Believe me Owen, I've considered these points and I almost didn't put this prediction when I was thinking back to some of his performances on Channel 5 but I'm just going with my gut. However, I just get the feeling that he'll raise his game significantly for this one. Let's not kid ourselves, Gonzales wasn't coming out of the top drawer but people had it as a 50/50 in the build up.

JDG has certainly been moving sideways for the last couple of years but I genuinely believe he's back on the upward curve now and that he's got more gears to move into yet.

The best I can come up with is that JDG is at his best when he has a fighter coming towards him and he can draw a lead. He'll get plenty of them from Froch because Froch will (quite rightly) have little respect for JDG's power, but if he can counter and pivot away like he can do and use his southpaw advantages then it could frustrate Froch.

That being said, I wouldn't exactly be shocked if Froch just decided to try and jump on him early and do a Bute-esq job on him.

CallMeBenji

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:11 pm

Could be one of the few times I hope Carl Froch wins

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:17 pm

Am now awaiting the massive row that's going to fester and Brew until we get told another fight is on PPV and it's worth it due to the grudge  Rolling Eyes .

Can't see anything other than a win for Froch but am sure Degale will be up for it to try and show that he can do better than Groves.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:44 pm

I expect it to be on PPV to be honest and would have no problem with it being so....only if the following also occurs...

Bellew vs Clev
Mitchell vs Vazquez

Also appear alongside it! To be honest Hearn would have no excuses for a card like that not to be happening...except for trying to milk each fight individually and I don't see any reason why he should do that as Mitchell vs Vazquez isn't big enough on it's own and even Bellew vs Clev whilst a grudge match isn't what it was as we know neither are the best in the division and both are vulnerable at the highest level anyhow.

That for me is the card Eddie should be looking at putting together...the dates for all boxers fall in line and put Campbell, Joshua, Smith on the same bill and you have an excellent card IMO.

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm

I don't mind some PPV's Owen but they should really be kept for the cream of the crop or an absolutely stacked card.

I already pay for Sky to watch boxing and the last couple of cards whilst decent/fun haven't been amazing fights.

I would whinge about the above happening but would pay it, I won't be paying for each one though no matter how good the card is.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm

This is the fight I expected would happen next. Hearn is the one pulling the strings and this is clearly the fight that makes the most sense for him. I think Hearn is giving Froch a bit of a runaround with the whole Chavez thing. Ive never been convinced that fight is a big possibility. It will 100% be PPV.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:44 pm

I don't like the way DeGale fights but he is very awkward and would make anybody look ordinary.

Froch catches up with him by the end but its a frustrating fight.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 1:58 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:
CallMeBenji wrote:I'll nail my colours to the mast now - DeGale wins. I can't quite fully justify my reasoning yet but I just have a feeling that his style is all wrong for Froch. I see it being a similar kind of fight to the Direll fight. JDG will barely be able to put a dint in Froch all night but I just don't see Froch catching him cleanly all night.

You don't see Froch catching him!? A man who has got into the bad habit of sitting on the ropes throughout his career and taking unnecessary punishment? DeGale has been caught clean plenty of times and whilst he has decent boxing ability it isn't anywhere near as good as some people would have you believe.

He lacks any serious power to keep Froch off him, he isn't mobile or good enough on the back foot to keep out of danger and he can't fight for a full 3 minutes. If it happens I expect Froch to wipe him out within 6 rounds....and that's a prediction from someone who is of the belief that Froch is their for the taking at this stage of his career.  

With you until the last sentance. Froch UD all day for me. JdG takes too many shots and hasn't the pop to make Froch cautious. But Froch hasn't huge power (hail-mary once-in-a-lifetime GGII punch aside) and JdG does seem to have a decent set of whiskers.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

DeGale has decent whiskers but by jesus does the guy mark up; I remember even in the Gonzalez fight he was reddened on one side of face, and a corker of a black eye and he barely took a punch in that.

In fact on a fair few of his Channel 5 fights he has looked like he has come out of a 12 round war when in actual fact he has won fairly handily!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:03 pm

Needs a stacked undercard to be PPV, doesn't deserve it otherwise, and certainly shouldn't be a stadium job. Expect it to sell 12-15k though.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:05 pm

Froch doesn't have one punch ko power but when he lands a good combination he does damage.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

Hearn will be looking to capitalise on the success of the Groves fights. A modern Eubank/Benn/Watson. I expect he will be thinking big for this and giving it the big build up.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 2:15 pm

The last fight with Groves tends to contradict that statement Strongy.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 18 Jul 2014, 3:03 pm

Carl Froch doesn't have one punch KO power. Apart from that time 6 weeks ago when he knocked out a guy, with one punch.

I probably would have said the same before the Groves fight Strongback, but I know what I saw. He obviously does.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 18 Jul 2014, 3:39 pm

I agree though, one punch doesn't suddenly mean he can be relied on to have One punch power. Just a career punch, no different than Martinez-Williams.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Jul 2014, 3:49 pm

Wishy washy subject. Froch hits hard. One punch power will depend on the quality of the shot, where it lands and the opponent its against and other such variables.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:12 pm

I am ok with the Degale fight, simply because Froch has no really intriguing fights left on the world scene. We have seen him in with every style imaginable and we know where he falls short in the division, which is Ward. Degale v Froch would be a fun build up. Some do think Degale can beat Froch. Froch is sliding. I think what people have an issue with is how much it will be hyped. The  Groves build up went on for eons. A Degale fight doesn't bring with it the same intrigue, not unless he starts opening his yap, but he seems to like Froch. Who knows. I would watch it.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dipper Brown Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:24 pm

I think Groves and Froch was such a clash of personalities that the aggro was inevitable. I don't see that in a DeGale match. I'm sure it will be hyped heavily though and Froch is matchroom's PPV star so any Froch fight will be on box office.

Dipper Brown

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm

Looks like Froch's next fight. I'll take DeGale to upset him.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 18 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm

Another decent fight Froch, after the first Groves fight I won't say it's a foregone conclusion that he'll win but a heavy favourite nonetheless, yet another world ranked challenge.

Degale did look impressive against Gonzalez, seemed to have a bit more pop when he decided to sit down on his punches, he'll never be embarrassed against anyone because he's so damn awkward and potentially ugly to watch.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 18 Jul 2014, 6:48 pm

To be honest, who does have "one punch power"?!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:17 pm

ONE BOMB?

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:19 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:To be honest, who does have "one punch power"?!

An English example is Naz.

Julian Jackson and Tommy Hearn's come immediately to mind.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm

Strongback wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:To be honest, who does have "one punch power"?!

An English example is Naz.

Julian Jackson and Tommy Hearn's come immediately to mind.
What percentage of opponents did Naz starch with a single shot? May as well add Nigel Benn in his early MW career or Bruno when he was KO-ing fat blokes in the 80's if we're using Hamed as the benchmark for one-punch KO power

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 7:39 pm

Maybe milky was saying the only people who have one punch power are the people who throw one punch per fight.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:13 pm

David Price has one punch power as does Wilder. Possibly the two hardest hitting HW's right now. Wlad's straight right is another devastating punch but he rarely lands it clean.

It's more impressive when a light man lands a one punch KO. Jimmy Wilde the white faced sickly looking kid with the hammer in his hand.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:20 pm

Its a flawed term in my view. There is power, and how it is utilised. The one punch aspect is just a variable depending on lots of factors.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:22 pm

The fact that froch isn't a one punch ko fighter but can throw a one punch ko means none one punch ko fighters are capable of being one punch ko fighters, in so much as they have the capacity to throw a ko punch but seldom land it, especially on the one punch ko'able chin. Hearns was a one punch ko fighter who landed on plenty he couldn't ko.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:22 pm

Sigh

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 18 Jul 2014, 8:42 pm

Audley Harrison scores several one punch KO's during prize fighter, then in his next fight laid Matt Skelton out with one punch. One punch KO artist.

Most boxers have the potential stop KO someone with one punch. Pacquiao was stopping all his opponents by cumulative blows, but sparked Hatton with one shot. Likewise Froch til Groves II. A lot depends where the shot connects, whether the opponent was anticipating it, whether they step into it etc. Some guys land these types of punches more than others, personally I think it comes down to technique more than power.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:05 pm

One punch means if a clean shot is landed it can crack most chins. Froch did it once against a chinny fighter, he's a hard puncher but not out of the very top drawer.

When David Price hits a fighter with a clean shot they don't get back up in fact it often takes minutes for his opponents to recover.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm

Has price ever hit a world class chin?

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:16 pm

Im not disagreeing, ofcourse hes a massive puncher. However, I think hayes overhand right matches anything price can throw... though it costs haye a hellva lot more energy to throw such a punch.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:33 pm

3fingers wrote:Im not disagreeing, ofcourse hes a massive puncher. However, I think hayes overhand right matches anything price can throw... though it costs haye a hellva lot more energy to throw such a punch.

Haye's power didn't fully carry to HW which isn't surprising as he isn't a natural heavy. Price has insane power but he hasn't a quarter the talent of Haye.

If Price can't land clean on a quality fighter his power is for nowt.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Fri 18 Jul 2014, 9:41 pm

Maybe strongy. I just think if Haye employs ever ounce of his body/energy/power when throwing a one off shot then he's capable of matching the force of anything price can throw. The only difference being, Price can throw every punch with as much force while only expelling a fraction of the energy due to his size.

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:34 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:Needs a stacked undercard to be PPV, doesn't deserve it otherwise, and certainly shouldn't be a stadium job. Expect it to sell 12-15k though.
British gold medalist mandatory challenger looking to make history and whom people saw fight on the Wembley under card challenging for another all time great brits world title and you do not think its a PPV?  Shocked 

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Sat 19 Jul 2014, 9:53 am

As with Froch v Groves 1 it was all down to if Groves could step up to world level. This is the same, can Degale take his assets and be effective against world level fighters?

I think Degale has what it takes to get a UD against Froch.

The only question mark I have on Degale would be if he could soak up the pressure that Froch puts on him, which at some stage in the fight he will do. I think Degale's power is probably quite similar to Wards which did enough to make Froch hold his horses in there fight.

This being said. While Degale has been criticized for being on the ropes and not dealing with pressure fighters, he has still been dealt these kinds of fighters at Euro level and while they do not have the skill set Froch has, Degale did still over come the pressure and proved to be quite tough him self.

There is also the chance that Father time may creep into Froches game... although going by his last fight he looked every bit on his game.

Another great fight I think.

I think to sum it up it will either be a late stoppage win for Froch, or a UD win for Degale.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 19 Jul 2014, 10:15 am

I don't see DeGale fighting froch next. Froch v Chavez jr is the biggest fight that can be made in the SMW division at the moment. That fight will be made next. Eddie stirring about the potential for froch to stay local and have another huge stadium fight strengthens his negotiating hand.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat 19 Jul 2014, 10:19 am

Just remembered Chavez jr and bob-father (although bob-father suits the manny relationship better) are at loggerheads, arum is a stubborn Tinkywinky, he'll likely leave Chavez out in the cold unless he signs a contract extension. 

DeGale is the back up plan. To completely contradict my previous post, there is every likelihood this fight happens.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 19 Jul 2014, 11:59 am

They will fight Degale next because they will make more money from it and its easier to put together.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Sat 19 Jul 2014, 12:37 pm

To be honest, I think we've only seen about 60% of what Degale is capable of so far in his career. If he can perform to his potential he can absolutely cause Froch some problems, but to win it would need to be more than just the flashes of quality he has shown in most of his fights and there seems to be some problems with his attitude and focus.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 19 Jul 2014, 4:38 pm

tunes666 wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Needs a stacked undercard to be PPV, doesn't deserve it otherwise, and certainly shouldn't be a stadium job. Expect it to sell 12-15k though.
 British gold medalist mandatory challenger looking to make history and whom people saw fight on the Wembley under card challenging for another all time great brits world title and you do not think its a PPV?  Shocked 

No tunes it shouldn't be. PPV should be for the cream of the crop. I personally think Eddie got lucky with Froch/Groves and the fights were great for us fans, but it's going to be back to how it was a few years back when a load of tripe was put on PPV.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sat 19 Jul 2014, 4:49 pm

It will be ppv. Froch will only ever fight on ppv for the rest of his career. Otherwise hed hang up the gloves. Hearn will need work harder with the undercard for this than the Groves rematch though. I hope he doesn't go down the route of showcasing a lot of fighters in mismatches and pretending its a great card. Id rather a short undercard with only a couple of good competitive fights than one with all twenty Smith brothers fighting nobodies.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Sat 19 Jul 2014, 5:03 pm

catchweight wrote:It will be ppv. Froch will only ever fight on ppv for the rest of his career. Otherwise hed hang up the gloves. Hearn will need work harder with the undercard for this than the Groves rematch though. I hope he doesn't go down the route of showcasing a lot of fighters in mismatches and pretending its a great card. Id rather a short undercard with only a couple of good competitive fights than one with all twenty Smith brothers fighting nobodies.

Completely agree CW, The problem with it is if we start to go down the route with the rest of his fighters (IE Clev/Bellew). Im' not completely against PPV for the right fights and with the right undercard.

I just hope Ed's careful or we could see it all impled on sky again.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next