The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cardiff sign Anscombe

+18
Taylorman
wales606
emack2
aucklandlaurie
Bluedragon
jimmyinthewell68
HammerofThunor
Knowsit17
Sin é
Pete330v2
bedfordwelsh
welshy824 (new)
ScarletSpiderman
Notch
Comfort
thespreys
formerly known as Sam
dragon4life
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

cardiff sign Anscombe Empty cardiff sign Anscombe

Post by dragon4life Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:16 am

Cardiff Blues have announced the major signing of Gareth Anscombe from Super Rugby champions the Chiefs on a long-term deal.Anscombe, who can play fly-half or full-back, will make the move to Arms Park and join the new-look squad under the guidance of new director of rugby Mark Hammett.Highly-rated back Anscombe, who qualifies for Wales through his mother, has scored an impressive 268 points in his Super Rugby career.The 23-year-old guided New Zealand U20s to the Junior World Championship three years ago and his eye-catching performances were vital in the Chiefs landing the title in 2013.Anscombe will join the Blues later this year following the completion of his ITM Cup commitments with Auckland.Richard Holland, Chief Executive of Cardiff Blues, hailed the news that Anscombe has signed a contract with the region as a huge statement of intent for the future."We are absolutely delighted that Gareth has decided to join the Cardiff Blues family. I'm sure supporters right across Welsh rugby will be extremely excited about his arrival," said Holland."Gareth is a fantastically talented player, a true winner, after securing successive title with the Chiefs, and also a very driven and ambitious young man."I first met him in October last year and was immediately impressed by his attitude. He has since been to Cardiff to have a close look at the region and is now very keen to move here and get started."When Mark Hammett was appointed as our new Director of Rugby we spoke about potential signings and Gareth was always top of that list. Hammer was extremely keen to bring him over and now we have concluded that deal after months of negotiations."Gareth's signing is an absolutely crucial one for Cardiff Blues, especially following the departure of Leigh Halfpenny, and it shows our absolute intention to strengthen and bring world class players to our region."My decision to leave New Zealand has been a tough one. I have loved every minute of career here in NZ and would like to say a special thanks to the Chiefs and Auckland Rugby for everything they have done for me," said Anscombe."However, in consultation with my family, I came to the conclusion that the opportunity in Wales was one that I simply couldn't turn down."I am really excited to be joining a region like Cardiff Blues. I was lucky enough to be able to visit last year so have a degree of familiarity with the club and people that will hopefully help me hit the ground running and start contributing to what I hope will be a successful season for the Blues."Much has been made about my Welsh eligibility and there is no doubt that my mother's side of the family have always reinforced my Welshness. However, I am under no illusions and my focus is very much on the Blues and if the opportunity to represent Wales comes as a result of my performances on the pitch then of course I will take it."

dragon4life

Back to top Go down

cardiff sign Anscombe Empty Re: cardiff sign Anscombe

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

Nice bit of poaching by the WRU there. Haven't the Blues got a young 10 (Pratchell special?) will he be playing more at 15 for them? Can't Imagine that's what the Welsh management want him for though, I'd have thought they'd want a 10.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by thespreys Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:27 am

Bit of a gamble seeing they are unsure of their future funding lol

thespreys

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:31 am

I'd imagine Anscombe and Patchell will be rotating at 10, and the 2 of them and Fish will be rotating at 15 for the Blues.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:53 am

Yes, making a big marquee signing like this means they are obviously confident that the financial situation/impasse with the WRU will be resolved. Which is, in itself, heartening.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Thu 24 Jul 2014, 11:56 am

I wouldnt exaclty trust the Blues judgment on that though Notch, I mean, they did move from the Cardiff Arms Park to the Cardiff City Stadium for 'rugby reasons'. Thats us leaving the heart of Cardiff rugby, thats seen many, many historic games and serves as a rugby-built ground in the heart of the city centre, for a football-built stadium that we could barely fill a quarter of in an area that had no connection to rugby or its past/present.

I'll stay reserved.....

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:27 pm

Yeah, we're not exactly dealing with rocket scientists here it's true... still, this signing is good for the league. This guy is a lot better than Norton-Knight or Parks thats for damn sure! He'll add a lot of value to the league.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:35 pm

Notch wrote:Yeah, we're not exactly dealing with rocket scientists here it's true... still, this signing is good for the league. This guy is a lot better than Norton-Knight or Parks thats for damn sure! He'll add a lot of value to the league.

I think it will be interesting to see how this moves goes, because it is vary rare that we get a younger player like him come over, usually it is someone at the back end of their career. So when a player usually flops we just say they were over looking for a pension fund. I honestly wonder if Anscome is as good as he is being billed, and I am looking forward to seeing if he shines or not.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm

to be honest this doesn't sit well with me. The signing itself is fine, but the whole issue regarding him playing for Wales just doesn't feel right, I know other countries have previously done it but I don't like it. I mean it is not like with the likes of Faletau who moved here at a very young age, or even Jake Ball who was simply brought over as an option for the scarlets and has indeed worked hard and gained a call up to the welsh squad. In comparison Anscombe has been earmarked to make the move into the welsh squad in a position which I believe we have many developing options.
Firstly at the blues itself there is Patchell who while young has shown a lot of potential, and is welsh. Then at the tigers there is Owen Williams, again shown a lot of potential. Then there is the likes of Biggar, Priestland, Tovey and even Hook (not my own choice). Then at Fullback we have the likes of Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Jordan Williams, Morgan, Amos and even Dan Evans (although many of them are inexperienced).
So good signing for Cardiff, but not happy if he plays for Wales

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 12:50 pm

Welshy, I agree with you regarding him basically being a ringer (if her takes to the field for wales). And from past experience the ringers that turn out for the welsh national side tend to end badly (Howarth/Sinkinson, Cardey, Jones-Hughes, Iestyn Harris etc).
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jul 2014, 1:26 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Welshy, I agree with you regarding him basically being a ringer (if her takes to the field for wales).   And from past experience the ringers that turn out for the welsh national side tend to end badly (Howarth/Sinkinson, Cardey, Jones-Hughes, Iestyn Harris etc).

SS,

My sentiments exactly and have posted such on other forums it stinks very much of JJ Hughes, Marinos, Howarth etc etc scenarios but and this is my main question. How can a supposedly cash strapped Region afford to sign him on a long term deal? If we believe what we read (foolish I know) all the Regions are likely to go under if the current farce isn't sorted out, so again how can the afford him?
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:01 pm

Well, if the situation wasn't that bad between the Union and the regions it would be logical to think that the WRU and a hand in it in that he'll be an option at 10 for Wales. But these guys can barely get around a table together right now.

It's intriguing. Special exemption from other financial backers? Or Cardiff taking a big gamble?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:13 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Welshy, I agree with you regarding him basically being a ringer (if her takes to the field for wales).   And from past experience the ringers that turn out for the welsh national side tend to end badly (Howarth/Sinkinson, Cardey, Jones-Hughes, Iestyn Harris etc).

From what I've seen of Gareth he's a very decent player but there are much better players at both 10 and 15 for Wales so if he's forced into a Welsh shirt just to ensure his rugby national identity I'd be surprised. He has to prove himself first of all and make the starting XV for Cardiff regularly. He will have to fight for and win his place on the Welsh squad which will not be easy and may not be possible for goodness sake. He was never going to make it as an All Black being perhaps fourth or fifth in the pecking order in both positions (being fifth best in NZ still makes him a hell of a handy player).

I would loved to have seen him come to Ulster as backup at 10 & 15 but he called us a load of clowns for sacking his dad. I await the fancy dress clowns in the stands on Cardiff's first visit to Ravenhill (not kingspan) Smile

I truely hope he fulfils all the promise he showed earlier in his career for you Cardiff fans but I do think you have better indigenous players for outhalf and fullback.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

Welshy, his mother is from Cardiff and probably has a load of Welsh family. He has very close ties with Wales. Its not as if he turns up as a 30 year old looking for a cap.

If he was a south sea islander brought up in New Zealand, no one bat an eye lid at him playing for one of their teams.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:27 pm

Pete, I think his visit to the Sports Ground will be more fun bearing in mind what he texted Pat Lam from his dad's phone.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:40 pm

Sin é wrote:Welshy, his mother is from Cardiff and probably has a load of Welsh family. He has very close ties with Wales. Its not as if he turns up as a 30 year old looking for a cap.

If he was a south sea islander brought up in New Zealand, no one bat an eye lid at him playing for one of their teams.

Nah if he plays for Wales then it is double standards by us. We fought tooth and nail to deprive the Scots the use of Steve Shingler (Scottish mum, affinity and family there) because he played for our under 20s. We cant have it both ways.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 2:43 pm

Sin é wrote:Pete, I think his visit to the Sports Ground will be more fun bearing in mind what he texted Pat Lam from his dad's phone.

I'd almost forgotten that one Sin, the infamous coconut text. When you think of it like that he has a few burnt bridges up here, the ashes of which he will be revisiting Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:09 pm

welshy824 (new) wrote:to be honest this doesn't sit well with me. The signing itself is fine, but the whole issue regarding him playing for Wales just doesn't feel right, I know other countries have previously done it but I don't like it. I mean it is not like with the likes of Faletau who moved here at a very young age, or even Jake Ball who was simply brought over as an option for the scarlets and has indeed worked hard and gained a call up to the welsh squad. In comparison Anscombe has been earmarked to make the move into the welsh squad in a position which I believe we have many developing options.
Firstly at the blues itself there is Patchell who while young has shown a lot of potential, and is welsh. Then at the tigers there is Owen Williams, again shown a lot of potential. Then there is the likes of Biggar, Priestland, Tovey and even Hook (not my own choice). Then at Fullback we have the likes of Halfpenny, Liam Williams, Jordan Williams, Morgan, Amos and even Dan Evans (although many of them are inexperienced).

I hear you. I'm in something of a mixed mind regarding the prospect of him playing for Wales. I can reel off several cases in the past of players who arguably represented the wrong nation, while pondering the elements which made it distasteful, for the sake of comparison:

First, and perhaps most notoriously, the dreaded residency rule. I resent any notion of countries handpicking players not considered good enough to represent their country of origin for the sake of 'nationalising' them as a future option. Think Tim Visser and Riki Flutey to name two off the top of my head i.e. players who had NO connection with the countries that eventually capped them at the time of arrival. This would not seem applicable in this case as it seems widely reported that Anscombe's mother is a Welsh expat.

Secondly, the grandparent rule. To bring up a recent example, Michael Paterson was recently selected for the England squad despite having resided there less than a year previously and having no connection to England besides happening to have an English grandparent. Again, this would not seem to be an issue as the qualifying feature in Anscombe's case is his immediate parentage, not the rung above that.

Finally the two-teams scenario. In other words, where you will have played for a youth and/or senior side in one nation before 'converting' to another. In the case of senior appearances, you might cite Michael Jones and Pat Lam who were allowed to represent both Samoa and NZ (a notion which I find just plain wrong but that's a different debate) and in terms of junior appearances Anscombe himself, who is a key JWC winner for the Baby Blacks. This is the element I find to be least comforting as you'd need only think back to Steven Shingler to wonder at the hypocrisy of the WRU. True NZ do not use their junior side as their second team as Wales do but in principle, you just know some unions would fight tooth and nail to prevent their players converting as Anscombe may well end up doing. Of course, Martin Johnson earned a cap for NZ U21 before debuting for England and few would doubt his Englishness, so maybe this development need not be universally negative.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:34 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:
welshy824 (new) wrote:to be honest this doesn't sit well with me. The signing itself is fine, but the whole issue regarding him playing for Wales just doesn't feel right, I know other countries have previously done it but I don't like it. I mean it is not like with the likes of Faletau who moved here at a very young age, or even Jake Ball who was simply brought over as an option for the scarlets and has indeed worked hard and gained a call up to the welsh squad. In comparison Anscombe has been earmarked to make the move into the welsh squad in a position which I believe we have many developing options.

I hear you. I'm in something of a mixed mind regarding the prospect of him playing for Wales. I can reel off several cases in the past of players who arguably represented the wrong nation, while pondering the elements which made it distasteful, for the sake of comparison:

First, and perhaps most notoriously, the dreaded residency rule. I resent any notion of countries handpicking players not considered good enough to represent their country of origin for the sake of 'nationalising' them as a future option. Think Tim Visser and Riki Flutey to name two off the top of my head i.e. players who had NO connection with the countries that eventually capped them at the time of arrival. This would not seem applicable in this case as it seems widely reported that Anscombe's mother is a Welsh expat.

Secondly, the grandparent rule. To bring up a recent example, Michael Paterson was recently selected for the England squad despite having resided there less than a year previously and having no connection to England besides happening to have an English grandparent. Again, this would not seem to be an issue as the qualifying feature in Anscombe's case is his immediate parentage, not the rung above that.

Finally the two-teams scenario. In other words, where you will have played for a youth and/or senior side in one nation before 'converting' to another. In the case of senior appearances, you might cite Michael Jones and Pat Lam who were allowed to represent both Samoa and NZ (a notion which I find just plain wrong but that's a different debate) and in terms of junior appearances Anscombe himself, who is a key JWC winner for the Baby Blacks. This is the element I find to be least comforting as you'd need only think back to Steven Shingler to wonder at the hypocrisy of the WRU. True NZ do not use their junior side as their second team as Wales do but in principle, you just know some unions would fight tooth and nail to prevent their players converting as Anscombe may well end up doing. Of course, Martin Johnson earned a cap for NZ U21 before debuting for England and few would doubt his Englishness, so maybe this development need not be universally negative.

Whilst the letter of the law says it is acceptable, it is another of those points where Wales will end up looking even more like a bunch of <insert any colourful word> to the rest of the world.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:38 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Whilst the letter of the law says it is acceptable, it is another of those points where Wales will end up looking even more like a bunch of <insert any colourful word> to the rest of the world.  

Yeah it's not great. Not great at all.

I was very strongly in favour of Shingler being allowed to play for Scotland; why not? He is half-Scottish and Wales didn't need him. By the same logic, I have no problem with Anscombe deciding to try his luck with Wales. None at all.

But if you're going to pick guys who have already played for another nation at U20 level and then not made the grade for that country, at least have the class to let former Wales U20s in the same boat explore all of their options.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:43 pm

The double standards in welsh rugby right now is a joke, and we are just looking worse and worse with every passing day.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:

Whilst the letter of the law says it is acceptable, it is another of those points where Wales will end up looking even more like a bunch of <insert any colourful word> to the rest of the world.  

Frankly, the WRU don't represent the whole of Wales. If the current conflict has taught us anything, it's that. I and, I suspect, plenty of others are not on the side of either the WRU or RRW. Both sides contain their fair share of tw@tz and the fans' interests (Welsh rugby as a smooth-running, unified entity as much of an idealised dream as that is) are not captured either way.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 3:50 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:The double standards in welsh rugby right now is a joke, and we are just looking worse and worse with every passing day.

Ah no, it's just the beggers running/ruining the Union and the clowns running/ruining the regions. It's the administrators that look bad. The players still command respect worldwide and so on.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jul 2014, 8:54 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Sin é wrote:Welshy, his mother is from Cardiff and probably has a load of Welsh family. He has very close ties with Wales. Its not as if he turns up as a 30 year old looking for a cap.

Nah if he plays for Wales then it is double standards by us.  We fought tooth and nail to deprive the Scots the use of Steve Shingler (Scottish mum, affinity and family there) because he played for our under 20s.  We cant have it both ways.

SS,

Agree again but maybe New Zealnd don't think he's that good and not worth the fight
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:06 pm

The problem I had with Shingler is that he verbally committed to holding out for a Wales call-up prior to the Scotland selection. His pride and honour were compromised in my eyes when he switched stories the second he discovered Scotland would have him. He paid a consequence for a false promise and for that I still feel no pity for him. You should honour your vows if you're prepared to go out on a limb and make such grand commitments. I don't buy this stuff about signing contracts, if you go out wearing red you're pledging yourself.

Which is why the WRU going out and essentially doing the same as the SRU (with or without similar legal wrangling with the NZRU) would unsettle me. Or should it be based on individual cases i.e. if the NZRU aren't fussed about whether they keep him or not?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:10 pm

Bedford - problem is what message does than send Biggar/Patchell or Sanjay/Dan Evs? Sorry boys but this kiwi reject, not even best 4-5 in either position is being brought in cos he's better than you. Gats claims to be trying to remove our mental block against the SH sides, however bringing a player deemed not worth capping in with the aim to field him asap is going to be counter productive surely.

At least Australia put up a fight for Jason Jones-Hughes, he may have been a flop (injuries didn't help), but it shown they though him worth having around. The All Black's don't seem to care Anscome is going, which is worrying.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 9:12 pm

Knowsitt whether nz want him or not its still double standards.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:19 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:The problem I had with Shingler is that he verbally committed to holding out for a Wales call-up prior to the Scotland selection. His pride and honour were compromised in my eyes when he switched stories the second he discovered Scotland would have him. He paid a consequence for a false promise and for that I still feel no pity for him. You should honour your vows if you're prepared to go out on a limb and make such grand commitments. I don't buy this stuff about signing contracts, if you go out wearing red you're pledging yourself.

Which is why the WRU going out and essentially doing the same as the SRU (with or without similar legal wrangling with the NZRU) would unsettle me. Or should it be based on individual cases i.e. if the NZRU aren't fussed about whether they keep him or not?

The NZRU are very fussed about this. They are very angry about losing him but there is nothing they can do.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:29 pm

Notch wrote:
Knowsit17 wrote:The problem I had with Shingler is that he verbally committed to holding out for a Wales call-up prior to the Scotland selection. His pride and honour were compromised in my eyes when he switched stories the second he discovered Scotland would have him. He paid a consequence for a false promise and for that I still feel no pity for him. You should honour your vows if you're prepared to go out on a limb and make such grand commitments. I don't buy this stuff about signing contracts, if you go out wearing red you're pledging yourself.

The NZRU are very fussed about this. They are very angry about losing him but there is nothing they can do.

could have named him in the 4Ns squad, benched him v Argentina. Job done
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:32 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Knowsitt whether nz want him or not its still double standards.

It's not double standards as Shingler wasn't eligible. The WRU had a duty to inform the SRU and IRB if they were aware of the issue. The IRB could have overruled it but it but the WRU did nothing wrong.

What I don't like about it is the way it's been put across is that Gatland made first contact, rather than a team showing interest and then him getting involved. That might be wrong and the Blues showed interest first. But then I think it should be more about where a player is developed than where your parents (or yourself) was born.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Notch wrote:

could have named him in the 4Ns squad, benched him v Argentina.  Job done

What makes you think they didn't say they'd do this and he turned them down? "Gareth, want to get a 5min cap that will mean you'll never play international rugby again and will make you less attractive to the Welsh Regional team as you'll take up one of their NWQ spots?"

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:43 pm

Hammer, that's a fair comment. I guess there is free will involved in it too
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:53 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Bedford - problem is what message does than send Biggar/Patchell or Sanjay/Dan Evs?  Sorry boys but this kiwi reject, not even best 4-5 in either position is being brought in cos he's better than you.  Gats claims to be trying to remove our mental block against the SH sides, however bringing a player deemed not worth capping in with the aim to field him asap is going to be counter productive surely.

At least Australia put up a fight for Jason Jones-Hughes, he may have been a flop (injuries didn't help), but it shown they though him worth having around.  The All Black's don't seem to care Anscome is going, which is worrying.

Not a good message as we have seen in the passed, how many were over looked for the likes of Howarth, Sinkinson, Marinos, Luscombe, Cardey and Harris etc etc. God that list makes horrible reading on the whole.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 24 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

Cardey was ok. And he had honour, saw him in the Middlesex 7s. Leeds were being destroyed, he made a break in the final play. An opposition player who could have attempted to stop him didn't bother, so Matt just walked over the touchline, instead of scoring a hollow try.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:11 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Hammer, that's a fair comment.  I guess there is free will involved in it too

I think if they tried to get him capped after it had become known he was thinking of leaving he probably would have turned it down. they could have capped him earlier to tie him in but I despise giving caps for such things so I'm glad they didn't/don't do that.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:46 am

HammerofThunor wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Hammer, that's a fair comment.  I guess there is free will involved in it too

I think if they tried to get him capped after it had become known he was thinking of leaving he probably would have turned it down.  they could have capped him earlier to tie him in but I despise giving caps for such things so I'm glad they didn't/don't do that.

You should earn a cap, not be given it to stop you leaving. However it has/does happen. Apparently Gats capped George North, Alex Cuthbert and Tom Prydie, even though he wasn't sure if they were ready, because they were EQ and he didn't want them to turn out good and crosse the bridge. (There was a quote in the Fail a while back from Gats about it)
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by jimmyinthewell68 Fri 25 Jul 2014, 11:57 am

good luck to him and hope hes successful with the blues . rather a player like him coming in who can represent Wales if he good enough rather then an ex all black who can't .

jimmyinthewell68

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 1:18 pm

Notch, can't speak for the NZRU, but I'm not fussed that Anscombe has left NZ and he played for my team the chiefs. I doubt he's good enough to play for wales but you never know. If he does represent wales (big if), I hope he stays there and fully embraces his welsh'ness.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 25 Jul 2014, 1:30 pm

ebop wrote:Notch, can't speak for the NZRU, but I'm not fussed that Anscombe has left NZ and he played for my team the chiefs. I doubt he's good enough to play for wales but you never know.  If he does represent wales (big if), I hope he stays there and fully embraces his welsh'ness.

Is he any good at driving golf buggies or fighting McDonalds bouncers then?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 25 Jul 2014, 3:34 pm

ebop wrote:Notch, can't speak for the NZRU, but I'm not fussed that Anscombe has left NZ and he played for my team the chiefs. I doubt he's good enough to play for wales but you never know.  If he does represent wales (big if), I hope he stays there and fully embraces his welsh'ness.

I really don't think he will be a main feature for Wales, at fullback we have Halfpenny and Williams ahead of him with the likes of Jordan Williams and Morgan able to do a job and at flyhalf he'll be behind Biggar, Priestland, Hook and the other youngsters such as Sam Davies, Patchell and so on. He is however a great signing for the Blues, not only because he covers the positions the Blues need covering but because hes Welsh qualified and wont count towards the NWQ match day quota in place.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bluedragon Sat 26 Jul 2014, 12:13 am

Not exactly a surprise.

good signing for the Blues - doesn't take a match day 22 NWQ shirt which I suspect are going to be limited. he can only get better as a young player not a battered old pensioner ! and is a Super rugby winner. Could stay for a number of years.

I think the big question is will he be at 10 or 15 at the Blues ? Fullback looks really light at the moment, hes the best available player. And if he plays 15 who will be the kicker ? him or Patchell ? Unless there is a plan to trun Patchell into a 12 where he has had a game or 2 ? He is tall, wonder if hes been on the weights over the summer ?

If Anscombe is good enough wales should select him. If he's not then don't. Competetion for sqaud places is vital in improving standards. I heard he was going to be on a hybrid Blues / WRU joint topped up contract. If he was a mercenary he would've gone to france or even england and still be available for welsh selection so have to respect his desire for international rugby and wanting to improve.

Bluedragon

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 26 Jul 2014, 7:57 am

I wish Gareth all the best and hope he gets to play international rugby one day.

It probably wont be that different for him, playing for the Blues(Cardiff variety) and Wales as he'll still be coached by New Zealanders.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:40 am

Bluedragon wrote:Not exactly a surprise.

good signing for the Blues - doesn't take a match day 22 NWQ shirt which I suspect are going to be limited. he can only get better as a young player not a battered old pensioner ! and is a Super rugby winner. Could stay for a number of years.

I think the big question is will he be at 10 or 15 at the Blues ? Fullback looks really light at the moment, hes the best available player. And if he plays 15 who will be the kicker ? him or Patchell ? Unless there is a plan to trun Patchell into a 12 where he has had a game or 2 ? He is tall, wonder if hes been on the weights over the summer ?

If Anscombe is good enough wales should select him. If he's not then don't. Competetion for sqaud places is vital in improving standards. I heard he was going to be on a hybrid Blues / WRU joint topped up contract. If he was a mercenary he would've gone to france or even england and still be available for welsh selection so have to respect his desire for international rugby and wanting to improve.

I've said before that Patchell has all the attributes to make a good distributing 12 but I think we have enough centres in Wales, and not enough quality 10s. I'm hoping Anscombe plays at fullback because I dont think Fish is quite up to it yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 9:22 am

Like many other young players unable to establish a claim for the NZ squad he has gone
abroad for experience and cash.
In NZ a junior RWC place isn`t the same as NZ Junior side which with NZ Maori is the
NZ second team[when cash allows]
He would rate perhaps number 6 behind 5 already capped 10/12`sin the AB`s he may
well be qualified for Wales.
BUT hopefully he won`t be rushed into national sides with the indecent haste of Maitland/Waldron.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 11:55 am

IronMike wrote:
Bluedragon wrote:Not exactly a surprise.

I've said before that Patchell has all the attributes to make a good distributing 12 but I think we have enough centres in Wales, and not enough quality 10s. I'm hoping Anscombe plays at fullback because I dont think Fish is quite up to it yet.

In the games he has played 12 he has looked pretty average - compared to some incredible games at 10.

He lacks the build to play a running threat from 12 (but not 10), if he bulks up a bit it might work, but it could cost him the pace that allows him to exploit gaps from 10.

I would play Anscombe at 15 unless he really impresses in games at 10 and can really win his place from Patchell.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 26 Jul 2014, 5:07 pm

Emak, probability be rushed in straight off the plane. He arrives in October, and AIs are not far away
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 26 Jul 2014, 5:24 pm

emack2 wrote:Like many other young players unable to establish a claim for the NZ squad he has gone
abroad for experience and cash.
In NZ a junior RWC place isn`t the same as NZ Junior side which with NZ Maori is the
NZ second team[when cash allows]
He would rate perhaps number 6 behind 5 already capped 10/12`sin the AB`s he may
well be qualified for Wales.
BUT hopefully he won`t be rushed into national sides with the indecent haste of Maitland/Waldron.

This.

Unfortunately, the fact of the matter is his name first cropped up in Welsh media (I believe) when Gats got in touch about potentially 'poaching' him. So in all likelihood he'll probably get a cap asap to nail him down and there's no particular reason he won't accept for much the same reason as the two aforementioned.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 26 Jul 2014, 7:08 pm

Indecent haste will be the order of the day. It was Warren Gatland who made contact before the Blues did! Didn't Gatland also say something about him needing to come now to be integrated into the squad for the Rugby World Cup?

Given he is going to play in the ITM Cup I think it's possible he might play for Wales before he plays for the Blues- even if just off the bench. I hope not though.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 26 Jul 2014, 8:58 pm

That would confuse the pink hats!
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 27 Jul 2014, 3:41 am

Please dont play him at 10. He was pushed out of the Auck Blues because he didnt run the game off the front foot well enough. Unfortunately he was traded to the Chiefs who turned him into a very good fullback. When Cruden was injured he filled in a 10 and the Chiefs went flat.

I think his best attributes are that he takes the initiative on attack and runs very good lines from the back. Also a very good goalkicker.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next