The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

+22
terryaki01
Dipper Brown
AdamT
superflyweight
theanimal316
Rodney
Derbymanc
AlexHuckerby
joeyjojo618
Strongback
88Chris05
bellchees
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Herman Jaeger
owen10ozzy
catchweight
hazharrison
Rowley
kingraf
Hammersmith harrier
All Time Great
3fingers
26 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 2 Empty Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by hazharrison Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:33 am

First topic message reminder :

Is Golovkin the scariest hitter since Tyson?

Jackson, Trinidad, McClellan and Valero created an aura - a mystique - when they fought. Is Golovkin on that level? Is he the biggest hitter of them all - Tyson even?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 2 Empty Re: Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:14 am

Well he could start by targeting Bika's strap (or whoever holds his belt at the time). Would at least give him a belt and some exposure up there. Or he could slap Arthur Abraham around for his (WBO?)

Has Froch permanently ruled out a GGG fight? Also Ward is only temporarily unavailable right? I think he can do well for himself at SMW to be honest. There is money in the middleweight division, but if they wont fight him what can he do?

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson? - Page 2 Empty Re: Golovkin: Boxing's Best Puncher Since Tyson?

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:19 am

Ward is a no go as Ward has already dismissed it. Hearn just said on Twitter yesterday that there's not enough money yet on a Golovkin/Forch fight to be made to be worth it. Not GGG's management. Just the way things are.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:20 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:Well he could start by targeting Bika's strap (or whoever holds his belt at the time). Would at least give him a belt and some exposure up there. Or he could slap Arthur Abraham around for his (WBO?)

Has Froch permanently ruled out a GGG fight? Also Ward is only temporarily unavailable right? I think he can do well for himself at SMW to be honest. There is money in the middleweight division, but if they wont fight him what can he do?

And wait around for a year? Targetting Bika's strap sounds like a great idea. Until you then realise that Bika is facing Dirrell and then whoever wins that has a voluntary, then there mandatory will be Groves, so sounds like a great idea, but realistically he'll be twiddling his thumbs for ages.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:24 am

Ward hasn't ruled the fight out at all, it's GGG's management who have distanced themselves from the fight because their man is the bigger name apparently.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:28 am

Why would Golovkin target a strap at 168 when he already has one at 160?

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:30 am

Strongback wrote:Why is Ward a no go?

Why is Froch a no go?

GGG's management wants a big PPV fight without taking any risks?

Neither of those fights are PPV. That's why (plus the fact Ward can't fight and Froch doesn't want to).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:31 am

hazharrison wrote:Why would Golovkin target a strap at 168 when he already has one at 160?

Because no one will fight him at 160, apparently.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:38 am

Why target Ward when you can target Cotto, I thought it was all about what the fans want.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:44 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:
hazharrison wrote:Why would Golovkin target a strap at 168 when he already has one at 160?

Because no one will fight him at 160, apparently.

He can fight Bika types at 160. Makes no sense.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 am

What middleweight is as tough, awkward and strong as Bika?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:45 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Why target Ward when you can target Cotto, I thought it was all about what the fans want.

That's the general principle of PPV. The paying public obviously aren't that interested in Ward-Golovkin (yet).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:50 am

hazharrison wrote:

Why is Froch a no go?

Neither of those fights are PPV. That's why (plus the fact Ward can't fight and Froch doesn't want to).

Why does GGG deserve a PPV fight, he has not taken any risks or tested himself. He wants his cake and eat it too.

I watched the video with Froch he was being sarcastic with the Golovkin comment.

Have a look for yourself, go to 9.30:

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:What middleweight is as tough, awkward and strong as Bika?

Whupping Bika - as tough as he is - gets Golovkin no closer to a breakthrough fight than he already is. He has better options at 160 for the time being.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:51 am

I only suggest Bika as a stepping stone into the division. Hes tough and would give an indication of how he will fare moving up.

Who is there in the MW division to get excited about? Cotto is a blown up WW on the slide. Martinez is completely finished. Alvarez would be good and if Golovkin stays where he is I hope this happens quickly. Quillin? Eh. Slim pickings. Move up, get a belt go after Froch and Ward.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:52 am

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Why is Froch a no go?

Why does GGG deserve a PPV fight, he has not taken any risks or tested himself.  He wants his cake and eat it too.

I watched the video with Froch he was being sarcastic with the Golovkin comment.

I've seen it. He was being candid.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:53 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:I only suggest Bika as a stepping stone into the division. Hes tough and would give an indication of how he will fare moving up.

Who is there in the MW division to get excited about? Cotto is a blown up WW on the slide. Martinez is completely finished. Alvarez would be good and if Golovkin stays where he is I hope this happens quickly. Quillin? Eh. Slim pickings. Move up, get a belt go after Froch and Ward.

Golovkin is a middleweight. He wants to be champion at middleweight.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:54 am

Why not wait and see who his next opponent is?

There seemed to be a lot of complaints when a Geale fight was first mooted and Golovkin 'avoided' it (the date clashed with an MMA fight in Australia I believe,) he's now fought Geale and dismantled him in impressive fashion (I hadn't realised just how well GGG cuts down the ring.)

And surely if the big names are avoiding him why aren't we all on their backs instead of stating he should move up in weight where the same might/will happen again?

Cheers for that link Strongy, I'm not 100 percent sure Froch is being anything other than honest but either way I think we can give Froch a pass on this one (Someone else pointed out EH said it won't happen.)

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 am

hazharrison wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:Why target Ward when you can target Cotto, I thought it was all about what the fans want.

That's the general principle of PPV. The paying public obviously aren't that interested in Ward-Golovkin (yet).

The paying public aren't as interested in Cotto v Golovkin as they are about Cotto v Canelo.

Can't have it both ways.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 am

Why do you consider it sacrilege to suggest that Golovkin should move up 8lbs haz? It doesnt make any sense. I want to see him tested, not feeding off the corpse of Martinez and beating up a faded and small Cotto.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:05 am

hazharrison wrote:
Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Why is Froch a no go?

Why does GGG deserve a PPV fight, he has not taken any risks or tested himself.  He wants his cake and eat it too.

I've seen it. He was being candid.

Is that why he laughed and had a little sneer after he said it.

This comment is being taken completely out of context by HBO as they are trying to sell Golovkin. They are grasping at straws to fuel a fire under GGG in an attempt to bring him up to PPV level.

If Golovkin put the money up Froch would fight him no problem.....you can take that to the bank.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:07 am

If Froch was interested in the Golovkin fight, it could happen. He isn’t. His management identified 3 targets they wanted – Chavez, Degale and Kessler. Personally I think Hearn is manipulating Froch by dangling the Chavez fight as a carrot to keep Froch from retiring. Froch is winding down now. In the meantime Hearn is engineering big domestic selling fights. Golovkin isn’t on his radar and why would he be at this stage of Frochs career. They have made it obvious they want pension fights.

Ward is a nightmare to try to put together. There isn’t the money to satisfy either party. Ward doesn’t sell, he doesn’t travel and he has ongoing promotional disputes.

And what relevance does that have anyway. Are we supposed to belive the top names are not avoiding Golovkin because he isn’t bending over backwards to make a fight with Ward that’s a disaster to try and make?

He has prioritised the names that make most sense for him to fight. They haven’t been willing to play ball so far. He has said he will go up 168 for a big fight. A Froch or a Chavez that would be a big sell.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am

As a Froch fan that's the fight I want, be interesting to see how GGG reacts when he lands to no effect or how he reacts to being outmuscled by Ward. Those are interesting fights not seeing him beat up Cotto.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:08 am

PPV is killing boxing, worse thing is fans buy into it, well this is not a PPV etc.. Golovkin v Ward probably the biggest fight in boxing to watch now for me.. If you can't get excited by GGG what's the point ? Nothing better than a man terrorising a division looking to rip each opponent in half. As good as Mayweather is I find him dull to watch (i'll be called not a proper boxing fan for this) the pot shotting and nicking points is hardly entertaining and as for Hopkins I'd rather watch a series of keeping up with the Kardashians.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:As a Froch fan that's the fight I want, be interesting to see how GGG reacts when he lands to no effect or how he reacts to being outmuscled by Ward. Those are interesting fights not seeing him beat up Cotto.

Froch/Canelo sheer target practice for GGG..I'd be surprised if Canelo see's 5 far too easy to hit and the footwork of a 70 year old. Only Ward I'd make a favourite over GGG at this point.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:13 am

Ward/Dawson was PPV in America to be fair. Although the fight did bomb in the Box Office.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:14 am

Strongback wrote:
hazharrison wrote:

Why is Froch a no go?

Eddie Hearn has already ruled the fight out.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:19 am

catchweight wrote:If Froch was interested in the Golovkin fight, it could happen. He isn’t. His management identified 3 targets they wanted – Chavez, Degale and Kessler. Personally I think Hearn is manipulating Froch by dangling the Chavez fight as a carrot to keep Froch from retiring. Froch is winding down now. In the meantime Hearn is engineering big domestic selling fights. Golovkin isn’t on his radar and why would he be at this stage of Frochs career. They have made it obvious they want pension fights.

Ward is a nightmare to try to put together. There isn’t the money to satisfy either party. Ward doesn’t sell, he doesn’t travel and he has ongoing promotional disputes.

And what relevance does that have anyway. Are we supposed to belive the top names are not avoiding Golovkin because he isn’t bending over backwards to make a fight with Ward that’s a disaster to try and make?

He has prioritised the names that make most sense for him to fight. They haven’t been willing to play ball so far. He has said he will go up 168 for a big fight. A Froch or a Chavez that would be a big sell.

Golovkin brings nothing to the table financially. If he was able to make Froch £10m like Groves 2 did then Eddie would be all over him quicker than a hot snot.

If Golovkin ups his level of opponent then he will bring the dollars with him allowing the big fights to happen. He needs to get on with it though as he's no spring chicken.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:25 am

Strongback wrote:
catchweight wrote:If Froch was interested in the Golovkin fight, it could happen. He isn’t. His management identified 3 targets they wanted – Chavez, Degale and Kessler. Personally I think Hearn is manipulating Froch by dangling the Chavez fight as a carrot to keep Froch from retiring. Froch is winding down now. In the meantime Hearn is engineering big domestic selling fights. Golovkin isn’t on his radar and why would he be at this stage of Frochs career. They have made it obvious they want pension fights.

Golovkin brings nothing to the table financially.  If he was able to make Froch £10m like Groves 2 did then Eddie would be all over him quicker than a hot snot.

If Golovkin ups his level of opponent then he will bring the dollars with him allowing the big fights to happen.  He needs to get on with it though as he's no spring chicken.

You are tieing yourself up in your own arguments trying to engineer a way how Golovkin being avoided is somehow his own fault. First it was he wasn’t interested in Froch, now he brings nothing to the table and isn’t worth, then he should up his opposition, then its he shouldn’t be targeting the big fights because he doesn’t have the profile. Make your mind about what your argument is.

The man is looking for the big fights. He cant get them, because his opponents don’t want to risk a beating.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:43 am

I wondered a little bit about that Froch comment on Golovkin myself. Both he and Hearn had been a bit cold on the idea of a fight before that interview, usually stating that they doubted Golovkin would want to move up to 168 rather than directly answering the question about whether or not they’d fight him.

Going on his past history, Froch would rather dangle his nads in to an industrial powered fan than admit to being afraid to face anyone, so I tend to think that those comments about doing everything he could to swerve Golovkin were designed to come across as a little tongue in cheek, but perhaps didn’t do so as he was a bit tight and pent up in that Q&A, from memory. Humour has never been his strong point in those kind of situations, although he’s a bit more witty than people seem to think when he’s discussing anything / anyone other than himself.

I don’t think Froch would be particularly keen on fighting Golovkin, but I think he would if he absolutely had to, because his career tells us that if that's the case and it's what people want to see, he'll go for it. He won't call Golovkin out if he can help it, and he won't mind at all if Golovkin doesn't set his sights on him. But if Golovkin suddenly decided to cut his losses at 160, moved up to Super-Middle and either a) called out and goaded Froch at every opportunity, or b) won a fight or two to make himself mandatory to Froch's titles before Carl has called it a day, then I'm sure Froch would get in the ring with him as that's what his career suggests.

Oddly enough, it might not end up being the amazing spectacle it seems on paper as I suspect Froch would be looking to do an Abraham job on the smaller Golovkin and try to use those reach and height advantages to keep him behind a jab and not engage in big exchanges unless it's absolutely necessary. Nice one to ponder but Hearn and Froch seem quite set on that three man shortlist of Chavez Jr, Kessler and Degale (albeit according to Froch a third Kessler fight is a distant third behind the other two) and Golovkin has made it clear again that cleaning out the Middleweights is his primary target for now, so neither is likely to really push for it.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:56 am

If Froch comes through Degale then he will fight either Chavez and/or Golovkin, he will definitely not duck that fight.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:18 am

joeyjojo618 wrote:Why do you consider it sacrilege to suggest that Golovkin should move up 8lbs haz? It doesnt make any sense. I want to see him tested, not feeding off the corpse of Martinez and beating up a faded and small Cotto.

Major problem with this is that he shouldn't have had to feed of the corpse of Martinez in the first place had the Argentine given him his shot; I get the fact Cotto was the bigger payday however when I look at it, Sergio did some major harm to his legacy taking the fight. Not only was he whooped by a man who is not even a legitimate middleweight but he went and did exactly what he had spent his entire career moaning about...took the payday over the real challenge. Lest we forget the way he & his fans bleated on about how he was an avoided man.

Financially it didn't even end up making that much sense; he made a guaranteed $2million plus a percentage of PPV sales; the fight only drew 350-400,000 in the end so can't imagine he made much more than $3-$3.5 million dollars.

You feel that GGG needs one big fight to burst onto the scene as a PPV attraction (though I don't buy into this argument he doesn't sell because he sells better than Ward and plenty of others who have got big fights...Maidana, Guerrero, Bradley)....the problem is you just can't see where that fights going to come from...

Mayweather - Tied up with Maidana & then won't fight till May
Cotto - Seemingly looking to Alvarez early next year and in the meantime is likely to face someone like Macklin or Rubio in a mandatory
Alvarez - Next fight is likely to be James Kirkland or other warm up fight before early meeting next year with Cotto
Chavez - Contractual wranglings aside; fight with GGG has already shown to be a no go for time being; also in the Cotto/Alvarez sweepstakes
Martinez - Won't be back anytime soon and is now a completely spent force and a fight no one has any interest in seeing and which would do nothing for GGG
Ward - Again plenty of contractual problems at the moment; add in the fact he simply isn't a PPV fighter (check figures vs Dawson), GGG wants to fight in Vegas/New York...two places Ward has shown no interest in travelling too!
Froch - Made abundantly clear by Hearn that GGG isn't even on the radar so completely pointless talking about it to be frank.

So just who else does that leave around for Golovkin to fight; On the one hand you have people (strongy) saying he simply isn't a big enough attraction for a mega fight...yet on the other them same people are saying he needs a big fight to put himself into the mix...quite how that one is solved then I have no idea...enlighten me if you can...

He needs the type of fight Martinez had in Paul Williams; an avoided fighter who has name recognition but no one will seemingly step in with.The problem is...he is that man and there isn't another of them around for him to take on.

Also just a quick point that many people seem to be missing; the likes of Chavez, Cotto even Alvarez are not the big selling names people seem to think. Taking Mayweather fight's out of the equation none of them have had anything approaching big PPV sales in their last few fights (Cotto v Martinez only drew between 350-400,000 buys)... PPV in generally is massively tanking at the moment so for me that argument is null & void unless your discussing Mayweather/Pacman.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:25 am

Owen 400k PPV buys is very good, you can't compare those numbers to Mayweather or Pacquiao, you're talking about different animals altogether.

Cotto and Alvarez are huge sells and to suggest otherwise is simply incorrect.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by theanimal316 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:08 am

I don't care if Geale is not a p4p'er or a great champion, what he was is a former champion who had never been stopped and who is still top 10 in the division. And he was blasted out of there in a statement! That knockout arm punch having just taken a big right was seriously impressive, KO of the year so far for me.

GGG is the real deal. I also think the fact that he does take some shots makes him exciting to watch too as perhaps a better fighter can test that vulnerability of his defence.

Regarding GGG not being a big draw in a glamour fight I am not convinced by this. I am convinced he would be a huge sell if in with a world class opponent as people really want to see him compete at that level. I think he is pure box office if given a big name to help sell the fight with. I mean who doesn't love to see a KO!?

theanimal316

Back to top Go down

Post by joeyjojo618 Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:25 am

His biggest challenge is surely Ward. However GGG is going after Cotto, Alvarez, Chavez and formerly Martinez. Sometimes throws Mayweathers name out. In other words he is chasing the money fights (Cotto is faded and in Owens words is 'not even a legitimate middleweight' which I agree with).

Ive got absolutely no problem with GGG chasing the money as any sensible person would do the same. However his biggest challenge is up a weight and thats the fight I want to see. Thats why I dont understand why haz gets so prickly when someone suggests that Golovkin moves up.

I find comments like 'Ward ... he simply isn't a PPV fighter' (to quote owen) extremely depressing on this board. Its the same logic that some Floyd fans use, and I hope it doesnt become widespread.

joeyjojo618

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:34 am

Of the current fighters Cotto is the third highest in PPV numbers behind Mayweather and Pacquiao.

Cotto is a much loved fighter.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:06 pm

If Arum and others within the boxing industry have quoted Cotto v Martinez as a disappointing PPV sale event then I am inclined to agree with them over you Hammersmith..

"The numbers were not great," said Arum, who is rehabilitating in Los Angeles after having knee replacement surgery last week. "

Given HBO expected a figure of around 460,000-500,000 the event fell pretty short of that with numbers closer to 350,000..

Said DiBella, Martinez's promoter, "It's well off the projections. It underperformed. HBO expected 460,000 to 500,000 and it did well under that."

Arum said despite the poor pay-per-view showing the promotion still made a profit, thanks to the roughly $4.7 million gate.

"We made a little money but nothing to speak of," Arum said. "The gate is what saved everybody."

If the gate money is having to save the promotion of a fight supposedly featuring two of boxings premier fighters then I would suggest; either boxing really is dying or more likely Cotto/Martinez are not as big a name sellers as some would like you to believe!

To put that fight into perspective; people were happy to trawl out the line that it was the money fight for both of them yet Martinez actually only made $1.5 million guaranteed (I stated it was 2 earlier but have just read differently)..

Even Angulo v Alvarez (a fight featuring two fighters coming off a lose, one of which no one outside hardcore fans have heard of) did 350,000 buys!

Now of course a PPV return of around $20 million is nothing to be sniffed at but it's hardly the sign of a huge PPV star which is what Cotto supposedly is...Froch v Groves did better business and that's in a country with a population far far smaller than that of the states..

Gennady Golovkins fight with Curtis Stevens drew 1.4 million viewers on HBO, the 3rd highest figure recorded for a boxing event!! That's hardly the sign of a bloke that isn't a big draw!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:24 pm

I would expect Canelo v Cotto to do well over half a million PPV's.  Both fighters have sold PPV in the past and it is a Mexican v a Peurto Rican which adds spice on top.

Martinez never sold well although he is very popular with boxing fans. He just didn't have a ready made fan base being an Argentinian in American. Cotto was his first chance at really big money. I have read he has added to his wealth through good property and business dealings.  My wife also tells me he is incredibly handsome.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:If Arum and others within the boxing industry have quoted Cotto v Martinez as a disappointing PPV sale event then I am inclined to agree with them over you Hammersmith..

"The numbers were not great," said Arum, who is rehabilitating in Los Angeles after having knee replacement surgery last week. "

Given HBO expected a figure of around 460,000-500,000 the event fell pretty short of that with numbers closer to 350,000..

Said DiBella, Martinez's promoter, "It's well off the projections. It underperformed. HBO expected 460,000 to 500,000 and it did well under that."

Arum said despite the poor pay-per-view showing the promotion still made a profit, thanks to the roughly $4.7 million gate.

"We made a little money but nothing to speak of," Arum said. "The gate is what saved everybody."

If the gate money is having to save the promotion of a fight supposedly featuring two of boxings premier fighters then I would suggest; either boxing really is dying or more likely Cotto/Martinez are not as big a name sellers as some would like you to believe!

To put that fight into perspective; people were happy to trawl out the line that it was the money fight for both of them yet Martinez actually only made $1.5 million guaranteed (I stated it was 2 earlier but have just read differently)..

Even Angulo v Alvarez (a fight featuring two fighters coming off a lose, one of which no one outside hardcore fans have heard of) did 350,000 buys!

Now of course a PPV return of around $20 million is nothing to be sniffed at but it's hardly the sign of a huge PPV star which is what Cotto supposedly is...Froch v Groves did better business and that's in a country with a population far far smaller than that of the states..

Gennady Golovkins fight with Curtis Stevens drew 1.4 million viewers on HBO, the 3rd highest figure recorded for a boxing event!! That's hardly the sign of a bloke that isn't a big draw!

Fury has done 1.5 million viewers on C5. America has a population 5 times the size of Britains.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:36 pm

That's on a free to air channel though Strongy, on a night when there's not really much other sport on.

HBO's a pay channel (like sky) so in reality that figure is massive (if your comparing)

Fury as has already been proven not to sell many tickets regardless of how many watch him on the gogglebox, Golovkin sells tickets.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:39 pm

You're comparing a free to air fight to a fight that cost $70, hardly a fair comparison is it. The Cotto fight pulled in over $30mil compared to a minimal amount for the Golovkin fight. Cotto is a massive draw whereas Golovkin isn't, that simply can't be argued against.

Disappointing numbers for a Cotto fight are very good numbers for anybody else.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Hammersmith are you saying Golovkin isn't a draw at all? or not a massive draw as I think there needs to be a distinction between the 2.

As far as I'm aware, there aren't that many massive draws for boxing PPV's (Manny and Floyd being the exception rather than the rule) although there are some fighters that still have a big enough name to be a decent draw (as you state, 30mil is a great amount of money).

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:44 pm

Really cant see how there could be any criticism at this stage for Golovkin not chasing a fight with Ward.

Ward's out of ring issues aside, he is miles ahead of anyone else currently operating anyweher around 168 and 175 and arguably the best super-middle there's ever been. Golovkin hasn't had a fight above middleweight yet and I see no reason why he should be expected to move up and immediately step in the ring with Ward.

He could step up to 168 and get some fights under his belt at the weight, but that leaves him with the same problem he has at middleweight. Who will fight him?

Just because he isn't chasing a fight with Ward doesn't mean that he's not an avoided fighter and that he doesn't deserve his shot at middleweight. Twisted logic to suggest otherwise.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:51 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:Why do you consider it sacrilege to suggest that Golovkin should move up 8lbs haz? It doesnt make any sense. I want to see him tested, not feeding off the corpse of Martinez and beating up a faded and small Cotto.

I haven't intimated it's sacrilege. But why shouldn't the guy be given a chance to be king of his own division? Plenty of great fighters have cleaned up less than great divisions (see Tyson) before carving out great championship reigns.

It would be nuts to give up the bargaining position he's forced himself into.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:As a Froch fan that's the fight I want, be interesting to see how GGG reacts when he lands to no effect or how he reacts to being outmuscled by Ward. Those are interesting fights not seeing him beat up Cotto.

I think Froch would get taken to the cleaners by Golovkin. Too easy to hit and he's had one hell of a tough run.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:53 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:You're comparing a free to air fight to a fight that cost $70, hardly a fair comparison is it. The Cotto fight pulled in over $30mil compared to a minimal amount for the Golovkin fight. Cotto is a massive draw whereas Golovkin isn't, that simply can't be argued against.

Disappointing numbers for a Cotto fight are very good numbers for anybody else.

For a start HBO isn't free to air it's subscription based; secondly; unless you give a fighter the PPV treatment you won't know whether they sell or not! GGG hasn't been given that chance, however in terms of people tuning in to see him the figures suggest there is a fan base similar to that of Cotto...

Top 3 drawing fights on HBO

Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez 1.56 million
Chavez Jr vs Vera 1.41 million
Golovkin vs Stevens 1.41 million ...

Two of those fighters have a huge ready made fan base being from Puerto Rico & Mexico, countries which regularly get behind it's boxers. Golovkin is a foreign fighter on American soil; that in itself makes it a difficult prospect to break into the market yet he seems to be more than holding his own!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Golovkin has a similar fanbase to Cotto, i've heard it all now, HBO is a subscription channel but Golovkins fight itself wasn't subscription. If he was a draw similar to Cotto he'd have had the big fights by now, he's too high risk low reward.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:03 pm

joeyjojo618 wrote:His biggest challenge is surely Ward. However GGG is going after Cotto, Alvarez, Chavez and formerly Martinez. Sometimes throws Mayweathers name out. In other words he is chasing the money fights (Cotto is faded and in Owens words is 'not even a legitimate middleweight' which I agree with).

Ive got absolutely no problem with GGG chasing the money as any sensible person would do the same. However his biggest challenge is up a weight and thats the fight I want to see. Thats why I dont understand why haz gets so prickly when someone suggests that Golovkin moves up.

I find comments like 'Ward ... he simply isn't a PPV fighter' (to quote owen) extremely depressing on this board. Its the same logic that some Floyd fans use, and I hope it doesnt become widespread.

I have no problem with Golovkin moving up but this suggestion that he's protected because he's looking to win the world crown in his own division is ludicrous. I'd love to see a Ward fight but once he leaves 160, he's not coming back. I'd like him to carve out a rep as one of the great middleweights before he moves on.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Golovkin has a similar fanbase to Cotto, i've heard it all now, HBO is a subscription channel but Golovkins fight itself wasn't subscription. If he was a draw similar to Cotto he'd have had the big fights by now, he's too high risk low reward.

I'm saying the tv viewing figures for non ppv at least suggest that he has a following not that different to Cotto; now of course he may go onto PPV and not sell at all, however neither yourself nor any promoters knows whether that's the case until you put him there. To suggest he isn't a draw is completely ignoring the fact he had very good ticket sales for his past two american fights and over a million people tuned in on a major sports channel in the US to watch him....a figure which Cotto and Chavez had to surpass before being considered a draw for PPV themselves...

Your argument of he isn't a draw simply doesnt wash and is an easy out to excuse the likes of Cotto, Martinez etc from fighting him.The guy is a KO highlight reel fighter who wants to fight...people will tune in to see him as has been proven on every platform so far...from fighting on no noted channel to fighting in Monaco..to moving stateside onto HBO and pulling in a million half viewers all in the space of 2 years...and you don't think he sells...! Absolute nonsense!!

The simple fact is he has been frozen out because by the likes of Cotto & Martinez & Quillin etc because they can make money elsewhere on 'easier' fights. Take Martinez for instance; there isn't anyway in hell he doesn't make $1.5 million guaranteed fighting Golovkin yet he took Cotto figuring they would get a large lump off PPV...they didn't!!

owen10ozzy

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:16 pm

Quillin's just minding a belt for GBP until they can move someone more marketable into position for it. He really is going nowhere.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Cotto has been a PPV fighter for years Owen and the revenue he generates is many times bigger than that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next