The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The human windmill - favour required.

+27
Scottrf
terryaki01
Gentleman01
azumah HOF
hampo17
aja424
milkyboy
trottb
3fingers
Strongback
owen10ozzy
Sugar Boy Sweetie
kingraf
Union Cane
John Bloody Wayne
88Chris05
Rowley
Hammersmith harrier
bellchees
Pedro147
Derbymanc
JabMachineMK2
TopHat24/7
rIck_dAgless
superflyweight
jimdig
Adam D
31 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The human windmill - favour required.  Empty The human windmill - favour required.

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Jul 2014, 10:14 pm

As many of you will remember, when this site was set up, I asked the poster on here called the human windmill to be responsible for the boxing side of things.

As you all know, he didn't just take ownership of the boxing site, he gained the respect of every single poster in this section. He spent a huge amount of time keeping this place going.

Over time, Simon and I became friends and he let me know about his illness which eventually claimed his life. During the last few weeks of his life, I began talking to his wife and we still keep in touch since his death. Unfortunately, since Simons passing, she has found things tough financially and has had to resort to selling some of Simons boxing memorabilia to make ends meet.

The reason for this message is that she has asked me to see if I can find a buyer for a particular collection of Simons. So I thought I would post it on here to see if the posters on here are interested in buying the item in question. Please only make serious offers for the item - I don't want to make an already sad situation worse by giving Simons widow false hope.

The item in question is described by Elisa below:
collection of boxing cards. it's 50 cards from W.A. & A.C. Churchman. I don't know which year they are from but they must be at least 60 years old.

Simon always said that collectors would love to have them.

I will post a picture tomorrow of the cards in question. I have no idea of their value or what she would like for them. But if you are interested please drop me an email with your interest to boxing@v2journal.com

Thanks for reading and hopefully we can not only help Simons widow but also get a really nice collection for someone.  

A

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The human windmill - favour required.  Empty Re: The human windmill - favour required.

Post by Adam D Thu 31 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm

The human windmill - favour required.  XQlPsn

Last edited by Adam D on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

The human windmill - favour required.  Empty Re: The human windmill - favour required.

Post by jimdig Thu 31 Jul 2014, 11:39 pm

That heart breaking Adam. I hope they get a good home.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 01 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

A sad way to start the day, but good luck with this. Even if there isn't a buyer on here, hopefully someone might be able to put Windy's wife in touch with a collector.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:30 am

The human windmill - favour required.  <a href=The human windmill - favour required.  Box10" />

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 8:32 am

Adam - Just PM'd a link which may help...

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

Any idea on price she's looking to achieve?

Wonder if we'd get somewhere (outside of this particular item/discussion) with some kind of 606/v2 whip-round?

Windy was arguably the most loved and respected poster to grace these and the old Beeb forums, sure a lot of people will be sad hearing his wife is struggling.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:51 am

I'm with Toppy, I'd be up to throw a tenner in for a whip round, as much as being the man who found me out on Jabmachine - I've had previous incarnations since the early days of the BBC 606 forums and found him to be one of the reasons I kept coming back.

There are a few posters on here who always say they're not shy of a few quid - if we all donated then I'm quite sure we could afford this collection to be kept by Windy's wife in his name as a mark of respect from us.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 01 Aug 2014, 11:53 am

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I'm with Toppy, I'd be up to throw a tenner in for a whip round, as much as being the man who found me out on Jabmachine - I've had previous incarnations since the early days of the BBC 606 forums and found him to be one of the reasons I kept coming back.

There are a few posters on here who always say they're not shy of a few quid - if we all donated then I'm quite sure we could afford this collection to be kept by Windy's wife in his name as a mark of respect from us.

Count me in for a tenner.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:07 pm

Only joined the forum shortly before the move from BBC606 (so didn't get to truly know Windy's knowledge but judging by comments on here he was a fantastic asset to the board) but I'm happy to make a contribution in relation to this matter. Once established, please state how you'd like people to pay and I'll make a donation.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:15 pm

I'd also be happy to contribute.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:54 pm

Yeah i would be up for that chaps - leave the cards be

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 01 Aug 2014, 12:56 pm

Just seen that Ali's fight of the century gloves have been sold for £237.000, shame we couldn't have a whip round for them as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

Yeah im in.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:07 pm

Then if Mrs Windy wanted to, she could donate them to a museum if she did not want to keep them.

Probably more along the lines of what the old lad would have wanted rather than cooped in some collectors draw or whatever?

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:08 pm

As Duncan Bannantyne rarely says, I'm in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:16 pm

Yep, would llike to contribute as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:25 pm

*puts hand on top of pile of other hands*

Once I've finished fondling these hands I'm in

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:27 pm

I am sure that Elisa will be delighted with your acts of friendship and generosity.

Other than sending a cheque/ note through the post, is there any other way that anyone can think of doing it?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

Cool.

Presume it's the kind of thing that can be set-up through a justgiving type page, unless you need to pre-allocate to a registered charity?

Anyone have any experience in this??

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:30 pm

The thing is it is not a charity as such.

I am more than happy to coordinate it through the v2 account but it will mean that people will need to send cheques in as we don't have a paypal account. Although I would rather not do it, I guess as I have the connection to Windy's widow, that I am the most obvious person.

If anyone else has better suggestions, please let me know.

A

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Derbymanc Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:31 pm

Adam D wrote:I am sure that Elisa will be delighted with your acts of friendship and generosity.

Other than sending a cheque/ note through the post, is there any other way that anyone can think of doing it?

Paypal lets you transfer money Adam.

Derbymanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:38 pm

Count me in.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:43 pm

Set up a Paypal in her name and give her the details Adam, give us the address and we can all transfer some money across, some will want to donate more than others, unfortunately I'm not as rich as say Strongback as he likes to remind us so I'll only be able to donate a tenner - but then when its all said and done, she'll be able to transfer it into her bank.

RE: The cards - I think if she'd like to keep them that she should, or they could be donated to a museum. She'll know what the old bean would have wanted. Also if there's other stuff that may be of interest, I'd suggest auctioning them rather than Ebay, you tend to get proper numptys on Ebay, the real collectors go to auctions.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:53 pm

Kickstarter would be fairly easy to do

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:54 pm

Adam D wrote:The thing is it is not a charity as such.

I am more than happy to coordinate it through the v2 account but it will mean that people will need to send cheques in as we don't have a paypal account. Although I would rather not do it, I guess as I have the connection to Windy's widow, that I am the most obvious person.

If anyone else has better suggestions, please let me know.

A

Let's do a bit of research first and see how we can do this.

It may be possible to structure it, for example, whereby the card collection is 'bought' by v2 and the cards are donated to a boxing memorabilia museum (bit like how minted people by aren't and immediately donated it back to galleries/museums) and that the payment goes via the museum using its register charity status so that a giving page can be set up.

Just a thought, but will look into it more......

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:55 pm

Rick's just come up with a good idea, for example.

Crowdcube works similarly, I've invested using it previously and am a shareholder so will look into it.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Aug 2014, 1:57 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:

I've invested using it previously and am a shareholder so will look into it.

How are the Greggs shares getting on toppy?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:04 pm

Rowley wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Haha Greggs isn't a start-up Rowls :-P

Bought shares in a company called Escape the City and more recently the Chilango bond - all small sums though, you can usually invest sub-£500 in most of these things.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:10 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
Rowley wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:

Haha Greggs isn't a start-up Rowls :-P

Bought shares in a company called Escape the City and more recently the Chilango bond - all small sums though, you can usually invest sub-£500 in most of these things.
So, less that you'd spend on lunch at Greggs then?

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

Toppy wrote:Rick's just come up with a good idea, for example.

Get in!  The infinite amount of chimps and typewriter thing actually works!

Last edited by rick_dagless on Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:21 pm

Sadly for you guys I'm on my way to falling below Rowley in the forum fatty stakes now - have lost 43kg so far raspberry

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:22 pm

Wow good work toppy, what are we coming in at now, in old money.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm

Rowley wrote:Wow good work toppy, what are we coming in at now, in old money.

4 large St Bernards carrying heavy shopping.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:42 pm

Rowley wrote:Wow good work toppy, what are we coming in at now, in STEAK BAKES.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:44 pm

43kg, and you're only on your way? How big are you?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:47 pm

kingraf wrote:43kg, and you're only on your way? How big are you?
Felix Baumgardner used him as point of reference when jumping from the outer edges of space

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Felix Baumgardner used him as  point of reference when jumping from the outer edges of space

... and as a crash mat in case his parachute didn't open.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Aug 2014, 2:55 pm

superflyweight wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
Felix Baumgardner used him as  point of reference when jumping from the outer edges of space

... and as a crash mat in case his parachute didn't open.  
He'd be nearing Saturn by now if that had happened

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:02 pm

Don't worry about it Topper... It's all good, as long as the scale Is going in the right direction. Feels like just yesterday I was a size 28, 66kg type 15 year old. 102kg now. It's all possible with belief, and a very good nutritionist.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:21 pm

Laugh

I was almost 150kg originally, at 1.9m tall.

Now I fit in slim-fit shirts and tailored suits Yahoo

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:24 pm

Good effort top hat, not sure it will stop the insults, but at least you have the satisfaction of knowing it is not accurate!

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:27 pm

Well done mate, your BMI is probably better than mine now... The fat jokes don't stop, I know from personal experience (before I was uncomfortably skinny, I was really quite the fatty), but Geoffrey is right, at least you feel better about yourself.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:28 pm

On that note, at 102kg, I must now be pretty close to the top of pile now?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

Good lad Toppy, nice work.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:36 pm

Good work

I would like to think all the light hearted banter assisted in the motivation.

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Aug 2014, 3:50 pm

Agreed....nothing gets a fatso shifting the pounds quicker than having "Oy, fatty fatty Fattington from Fatsville...why are you so fat you fat, fat fatty?" screamed at them.

I pride myself on the fact that this very same phrase has been employed daily to assist my lovely wife in losing her baby weight.

By the way Raf, at 102 kg, the last thing anyone wants is you on top of anything...and I'm sure your drunken, squinty eyed girlfriend with the barman fetish thinks the same.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri 01 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm

Surely the best way is to just set up a PayPal account for v2, DM all those that have offered money the ID so they can contribute, and when contributions are done the money can be either transfered to Mrs Windmills paypal or a cheque sent to her. As someone suggested v2 buying the cards & donating them to a museum or something would be nice as it wouldn't seem like total charity. I'll stick a few quid in, Windy was great guy, sorely missed.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Fri 01 Aug 2014, 4:33 pm

Count me in on this; Adam...perhaps it may be worth floating the memorabilia on the V2 boxing twitter account..may get some interest in it on there.

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Fri 01 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm

Did you use the clingfilm method top hat?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next