The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook

+20
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
.aveyard2.0
Steffan
catchweight
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
AlexHuckerby
Hammersmith harrier
jimdig
Seanusarrilius
DuransHorse
owen10ozzy
hampo17
RanjitPatel
KingMonkey
TRUSSMAN66
bellchees
Herman Jaeger
TopHat24/7
mobilemaster8
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook Empty Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:26 am

De La Hoya and Thurman have publicly come out and stated that they WILL travel to the UK for a shot at Brook in a welterweight title fight.

Now not many thought this would be the case, but now that they have mentioned it, surely that's a very big fight for both in a unification fight??

I'd be very impressed by Brook if he took this. After all, he is the champion and wants the big names now he is at the top of his game.

How do we see it going?

Its a different animal compared to porter in different ways ie.the style, power.

He does not rush in but is a damn hard punchers.

Can brook outbox him using his jab which at times look good vs Porter.

I'd go with a Brook UD or a Thurman KO.

I think Thurman will come to the UK under the idea that he HAS to knock out Brook to get the belt.

Either that or Brook vs Khan.

Some good fights being touted for him.....let's hope he keeps to his word don't fight some randomers.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook Empty Re: Keith Thurman vs Kell Brook

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:32 am

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, Kell Brook........ Drool

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 am

Like Thurman's ambition. Definitely believes he's the best in the division and wants to clear it out. That's probably the best fight in the division right now outside of anything Floyd's doing. That would be a real big fight atmosphere with the winner in line to get Floyd. Something of a pick'em, no one is going to have an easy night's work with Brook.

Khan would be a good domestic and money spinner, but personally I'd like to see Brook accept Thurman's challenge and tell Hearn to get it made. Would make him big in America to beat two of their stars on the spin.

Khan is still rebuilding so that could wait. But maybe it makes sense, I don't know.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:23 am

I've not seen a great deal of Thurman but not been overly impressed by what I have seen, other than his power which is probably the best in the division. I think Brook would have a very good chance of out boxing him to a decision. Good fight if it happens as Brook would be the best operator Thurman has fought as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 am

Yeh I'd agree with this. Thanks for changing the title someone because my phone auto typed Kelly!!

I'd agree that brook would be the best fighter Thurman has faced and visa versa..

Thurman looks open to a jab as we have seen in plenty of his fights....so he is there to be outboxed.

Brook could do that based on Saturday.

But thurman has a LOT of power and could cause major issues if brook is caught because he can also be hit.

I like this fight. Hopefully team brook and hearn get it made.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:56 am

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yeh I'd agree with this. Thanks for changing the title someone because my phone auto typed Kelly!!

HAHA and the cheeky sod also changed my 'Kelly' to 'Kell' so now I look/sound like bloody Duty281.......!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:58 am

Haha fair one Top Hat. God damn technology and its witty mind.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:48 am

Brook should look for a soft first defence like everybody else does........He beat a respected Man in his own backyard....Unless he gets Khan of course.........

Then look to Thurman and Manny....World is his Oyster.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Said last week that Eddie would have to be mad to chuck Kell into a 50/50 fight for his first defence. Give him a decent "name" but make it winnable as the aim is clearly to build up towards a fight with Khan in the Summer.

Kell's gonna want at least two defences before he goes for his "super fight"

People slagging him off because he's done frig all for 32 fights now want him to lose his title in his fist defence like Bruno.

Last edited by DAVE667 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Freudian typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:16 pm

So long as we don't start seeing 'Quigg-esque' defences I don't really mind but taking on Thurman immediately would be nuts. I doubt anyone in the UK outside of keen boxing fans has heard of Thurman so how well it'd sell is questionable and the merit he'd gain from winning also debatable (especailly goven the risk involved).

Winable fight at home first then look to Khan. Failing Khan then beat the Thurman drum and get him over here at the MEN or similar.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by RanjitPatel Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:33 pm

I think he beats Thurman. Thurman hasn't really fought at that level (I know Brook hadn't) but, to be honest, I haven't really been as impressed as most with Thurman. He seems to be bigged up as this monster but I don't see it. Could be wrong though. Hopefully not if he fights Brook.

I'd like to see JMM fight over here, maybe after a softer first defence, then Khan.

RanjitPatel

Back to top Go down

Post by hampo17 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Thurman has extremely quick hands and power in both as well, a very dangerous fight for Brook and one that I don't think he'll take, a fight for me that he loses if he does.

I've said it before, I believe Thurman will be the next big star at 147lbs.

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Like Breland was in the 80s...

Has to be tested yet..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:48 pm

Will be interesting to see people's take should he decide to take a soft first defence before a mooted big showdown next year with Khan....

What with Cotto getting a free pass in order to tune up for a Canelo 2015 fight...

In fact quite a few similarities between the pair of them...

Both have a big puncher with plenty of hype as a main rival in the division who plenty will ask to see them face...

Both have a big money spinning fight as an alternative which won't happen till next summer so a tick over fight will be in order in the meantime...

Lets see which way both go and how contradictory the boards become when the decisions are made..

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

owen10ozzy wrote:Will be interesting to see people's take should he decide to take a soft first defence before a mooted big showdown next year with Khan....

What with Cotto getting a free pass in order to tune up for a Canelo 2015 fight...

In fact quite a few similarities between the pair of them...

Both have a big puncher with plenty of hype as a main rival in the division who plenty will ask to see them face...

Both have a big money spinning fight as an alternative which won't happen till next summer so a tick over fight will be in order in the meantime...

Lets see which way both go and how contradictory the boards become when the decisions are made..

Cotto isn't getting a free pass....You've done nothing but moan about it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Normally a soft first defence would be OK but as Kell has taken so many soft options until now Matchroom should just put him in a tough fight again. Thurman, Khan, Floyd, Pac... anyone that will get Kell focused is OK by me.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:44 pm

Forget Thurman for now. Brook just beat a top American champ in his backyard, he should come home, have one respectable defence in the winter and then fight Khan at a stadium in summer. He will want Khan, and he will fancy he can beat him. If he beats Khan, then he can look toward a Thurman, Bradley, Marquez type. Brook will want to make some moeny now he is champ. The highest payday to risk worthy fight ratio is with Khan. Brook will fancy Khan, and it will make him a millionaire.

Last edited by Seanusarrilius on Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:46 pm

I think a 'reasonable' first defence (i.e. not a Quigg/Clev type defence) would be fine to most people.

E.g. Bundu.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:47 pm

Yes, Bundu would work. just beat Gavin, which means Hearn also gets to rub Warren's nose in it when Brook beats him.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:27 pm

Everyone's a winner!!

Except Strongy..... ;-)

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Thurman brings nothing to the table, if brook wins he was a hype job, if he loses I doubt the financial reward is there to compensate. 

I think he should aim big though, Marquez or manny are both available  and both bring a big purse. Go for it. I think he can beat Marquez, by staying outside of his reach, utilising the jab and straight right, at almost 5 10, he can really make his height count. 

Manny could blitz him though. But certainly not a forgone conclusion, financially it'd be worth finding out.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Manny hasn't blitzed a decent fight for years now and can't see him doing it to Brook, that isn't to say he doesn't win comfortably but it would be a less than impressive points victory, do give Kell a chance if he can establish his jab properly. Of all the big players in the division I must say that Porter had the most awkward style for Brook, someone difficult to look against and very difficult to establish a rhythm against. A Khan or Marquez type would give him a chance to show off his skills to a wider audience.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:52 pm

I think Leonard Bundu is a terrific choice of opponent, guys is clearly around world class, winnable fight, has some good names on his record, over Gavin and Purdy and is a very good operator and will be a tough nights work for most fighters. Think Kell outjabs him though, one thing I was so impressed with in Kell was his jab, I've always thought he's had a awesome jab but to see it used to such great effect against a genuinely good awkward world class fighter last Saturday was great. Done Yorkshire proud, was so pleased for him.

Bundu, then Khan... Then MAYWEATHER YEAH THAT'S RIGHT I SAID IT, COME ON FLOYD TAKE US ON, I DARE YA!!

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by DuransHorse Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:41 pm

I'd settle for seeing Kell in with Bundu as I think he tests him, I just worry that Kell might not be as interested as he should be and underestimates him. He strikes he as the type to think after Porter he can take it easier if he fights Bundu, and he can't.

DuransHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:04 pm

I actually do agree Duran, one good thing is Eddie Hearn.

I really think Eddie drills things into him over and over, and is realistic. Same with the fight just gone, he seemed to have a lot of talks with Kell and I think he will keep him fresh for it, I don't think he'll be as sharp as when he fought Porter, but he knows the importance.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:58 pm

Thurman would be a very very hard defence, probably the most dangerous welter out there not named Floyd tbh. Has the best blend of power, skill, speed and toughness in the division, doesn't seem to lack anything like Khan's chin, JMM's size, Berto's chin, Guerrero's power etc

Don't think Brook would run from it he took on an unbeaten american welter before an would do it again especially if he can get the home advantage. That said I can't see it happening tbh not as a first defence and with Khan on the horizon

Think Brook could beat thurman, but he could also get his head taken off

I like the Bundu fight or someone like that, lots of options for Brook over the next few years if he can keep the buzz going. If he gets a first defence out the way then beats khan the world is his oyster

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:25 pm

Bundu would be awful

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:27 pm

How come Catchweight?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:29 pm

Hes a 40 year old European level fighter. Brook has spent long enough at that level.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:39 pm

Brook shouldn't fall into the trap of thinking he's a champion just yet. A soft defence? For what? I don't understand this business sometimes. It's forward not back at this stage for Brook imo. Does he want to regress? Bring back one title one champion ffs. When an eliminator had a big fight feel. No wonder the game used to be more exciting

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:46 pm

Brook has spent a decade fighting below par opponents. He has at long long long last stepped up and won a "title" (in real terms hes just beat his first genuine contender). Now people are arguing for him to rush backwards again and take a year off before fighting another competitive contender. Its beyond crazy.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:49 pm

Bundu is a competitive contender...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:55 pm

Brook is looking a good prospect. He needs to take a few more easy going fights though and work his way up while learning his trade. At the end of the day the guy has only been a profesional for 10 years and people are trying to throw him into the lions den with top ranked opponents

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:05 pm

Bundu is a 40 year old European level fighter. It would be a crap opponent to choose.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Steffan, it's old now. Was hilarious when he hadn't fought anyone, but he's just taken on one of the most feared Welterweights in the division and done a top job on him.

Bit like Calzaghe's a good prospect with 40 fights behind him now perhaps we should put him in with a top American?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:09 pm

catchweight wrote:Bundu is a 40 year old European level fighter. It would be a crap opponent to choose.

Who's beaten a former world title challenger, one of the top British prospects, is unbeaten and has been simply shutout of the top tier of boxing. Stylistically it would be a good fight, simply because he isn't in against one of the biggest names doesn't mean it isn't a tough fight and just because Brook would be the favourite doesn't make it a terrible choice of a first title defence. Plus Bundu deserves one.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:17 pm

Lets get real here. Bundu isn't at Brooks level. In fact people on here have been calling him "an easy first defence". Stop dressing up him up by bigging up victories over Purdy or Gavin which carry no weight at world level.

Why, as a boxing fan, do you want to see Brook v Bundu in a division that offers multiple better and more competitive fights? Why should Kell Brook be targeting a fighter that just recently beat Frankie Gavin in a split decision?

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:20 pm

Because it's a first defence of his title, a homecoming, a fight he could win and then he can take on Amir Khan and for it to be one of the biggest Boxing matches of next year. Or take on Khan next, very happy with both, just don't think he should be obliged to take on the likes of Thurman straight away.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:22 pm

And Bundu is a good fighter with a legitimate chance of beating Brook.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:28 pm

So you win a world title and that in fact means you are not obliged to fight a top contender. I thought it was the other way around.

Lets see Brook kick on with his career and start fighting some of the top challengers. Hes wasted enough time as it is.

Khan, Alexander, Guerrero, Thurman these are good winnable fights for him before you even start going into the big names in the division.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:36 am

Again, he is a top contender?

Been European champ for donkeys and has good wins on his belt...

He is a genuinely good fighter, just because he's not a monster name like those guys doesn't make him not a good fighter.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am

I think he is poor in comparison to the names mentioned Alex.

Like others have mentioned. Brook has been fighting nobodies for absolute YEARS. Now he finally wins a world title everyone wants him to defend against Gavin or Bundu when you have a big superfight against Khan or a big unification against Thurman....who is willing to travel.

So you have 2 top 10 welterweights offering their services and we all want bundu or Gavin as its "easier" for him.

Sorry, but that bull.

Look at froch and his list of opposition after he won a bloody world strap!!!!!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:46 am

If I remember rightly he beat Pascal for the vacant strap....defended it against Taylor in the states followed by Direll. Then Kessler in Denmark, Ward in the states, Abraham in Finland I think, Johnson in the states, Lucian Bute..

He could have fought Paul Smith after he won who was at domestic level....but he didn't.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by .aveyard2.0 Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:57 am

I'd favour brook over thurman right now. I fancied Porter to do him, and think Brook will be better.

As good as brook was against porter I think porters style makes pretty much any fighter look bad, and think against another fighter kell would look very classym should he be on his game.
I never understand this idea of a home coming fight, who thinks they are a good idea? apart from the fighter who earns a payday for an easy win, there is nothing to be gained. I would rather see champions do like what froch did (even though I dont like him) and fight genuine ranked fighters.

Perhaps after manny and floyd depart (which i wouldnt want to rush at all) there could be scope for a super six style tournament with all the belt holders/ contenders as the crop at WW is very interesting and they could all potentially beat each other (thurman, khan, porter, brook, bradley, garcia to name a few)
.aveyard2.0
.aveyard2.0

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:49 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Again, he is a top contender?

Been European champ for donkeys and has good wins on his belt...

He is a genuinely good fighter, just because he's not a monster name like those guys doesn't make him not a good fighter.

Sorry but he is not a top contender. He is good for the level he fights at which is below world level.

Its a sad state of affairs where boxers like Alexander, Khan, Guerrero and Thurman are "monster" names that need to be avoided in order to fight a 40 year old Bundu.

They are all in a similar bracket to Brook at the lower of the divisions top ten and are the sort of opponents Brook should be facing without needing a year off.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:57 pm

Aveyard, Don't think boxing fans do like 'homecoming' fights but the casuals lap up any opposition sky can hype and it's just part of the sport.... Cashing in on being champion... With relatively easy pay days... Whilst milking the build up for any potential big fights to max out the reward of the riskier fights out there.

I called it part of the sport but it's not a sport its a business run by people without meaningful or central regulation for the sole purposes of lining their pockets.

Personally, I'd love to see brook Thurman or brook khan and have little interest in brook bundu, but I'd cut him some slack for it if it was a keep busy fight while negotiations for khan or Thurman were in motion.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm

The Khan fight could and should be made asap. He wont want to hang around til next Summer to fight Brook when Mayweather and Pacquiao will be looking for new opponents then.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:31 pm

In most divisions I would be apathetic towards a Bundy type fight. In a division like welterweight, however, it seems like a complete waste. Ticking over fights in an era of champions fighting twice a year are balls.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:57 pm

If there's a demand for the Brook Khan, who in their right mind wouldn't want to do a bit of milkimg? Can't blame Brook. If the public want to be conned and are prepared to pay so what. You've got a top contender versus a guy who's still trying to prove he can cut it at the top level that's all it is. Quite why people want to see that so much is difficult to understand. it's not a top class fight. Though conceivably it could become one in a couple of years time. But that's down to Amir.

A Manchester fight rather than Wembley though surely.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Fighting Bundu I must say would be a waste, there must be at least fifteen names who would pop into my head first, a few of them being unrealistic but any of the following would do;

Mayweather
Pacquiao
Bradley
Marquez
Guerrero
Garcia
Thurman
Khan
Maidana
Alexander
Matthyse
Broner