The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread

+41
spencerclarke
Marco_Marky - Stuffington
TRUSSMAN66
lfc91
Steffan
Mat
wadey101
nadeem2099
JDizzle
FIFA Diva
super_realist
Josiah Maiestas
lorus59
Hero
Hulking_up
Liam
Soldier_Of_Fortune
J.Benson II
Stella
Gerry SA
monty junior
hampo17
GSC
Mad for Chelsea
kingraf
socal1976
mystiroakey
CFCNick
Lowlandbrit
LastDamnation
Good Golly I'm Olly
Nakatomi Plaza
Dolphin Ziggler
NickisBHAFC
Duty281
Ent
The Special Juan
compelling and rich
Crimey
Hammersmith harrier
Fernando
45 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread  - Page 11 Empty UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread

Post by Fernando Tue 19 Aug 2014, 7:38 pm

First topic message reminder :

All places to talk Champions & Europa League  football for this season UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread  - Page 11 3559488474 

Champions League Round of 16 Draw

PSG vs Chelsea
Man City vs Barcelona
Bayer Leverkusen vs Atletico Madrid
Juventus vs Dortmund
Schalke vs Real Madrid
Shaktar Donetsk vs Bayern Munich
Arsenal vs Monaco
Basel vs Porto

Arsenal - Monaco
Celtic - Inter Milan
Chelsea - PSG
Everton - Young Boys
Hull - OUT
Liverpool - OUT of CL dropped into Europa League - Besiktas
Man City - Barcelona
Man Utd - Swansea 21st February (It's about as close to European football as your getting this year) 
Tottenham - Fiorentina

Last edited by Fernando on Mon 15 Dec 2014, 2:15 pm; edited 5 times in total

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread  - Page 11 Empty Re: UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread

Post by compelling and rich Thu 23 Oct 2014, 5:47 pm

take the qpr v liverpool game for instance, wouldnt not have happened in spain. qpr awful team but found a weakness and humped it up to zamora all game. not very technical but it worked and the game was a cracker because of it

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread  - Page 11 Empty Re: UEFA Champions & Europa League 2014-15 Season Thread

Post by Duty281 Thu 23 Oct 2014, 8:04 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I honestly think the best league in the world is the Premier League. I think the competition is greater for positions throughout the league, I think the pace and style of the football is more interesting, I think the variation in football is more interesting, I think the English league structure is a huge positive and brings exciting teams into the mix each year, I think there is a higher standard of top clubs that are more thinly spread than in Spain, Italy or Germany and I think we are generally better run than them all except the Germans who have a wonderful model.

Perfectly summed up.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:02 pm

This debate always seem to centre around comparing the elite of each country which in itself shows the strength of the EPL in comparison to any other league. Spain has Madrid and Barcelona (too soon to include Atletico), the Bundesliga has Bayern and Dortmund while the EPL has Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal and until 13 months ago Man United.

Beyond that the gap grows and grows, such is the money in the Premier League that teams like Tottenham have no incentive in winning the Europa league until this year. Why for instance would Tottenham target winning it when a single place in the EPL would earn them more money?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:03 pm

Because they'd get a CL spot
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:06 pm

Starting from this year but as I alluded to in my post that wasn't the case last year.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:23 pm

I do struggle to understand how it's too soon to count the Defending La Liga champions, but it's okay to count a team with no league titles since 2004. La Liga also has had four different teams finish in the top eight of Europe last two seasons, and there's five points separating the top five at the moment.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Thu 23 Oct 2014, 9:27 pm

Geez this Lamela guy is pretty handy. Two sensational strikes
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 23 Oct 2014, 10:41 pm

Lamela what a man. Harry Kane what a man. Tony Hibbert what a man.

Good night for the British sides in this poxy tournament.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Oct 2014, 9:15 am

Duty281 wrote:
Dolphin Ziggler wrote:I honestly think the best league in the world is the Premier League. I think the competition is greater for positions throughout the league, I think the pace and style of the football is more interesting, I think the variation in football is more interesting, I think the English league structure is a huge positive and brings exciting teams into the mix each year, I think there is a higher standard of top clubs that are more thinly spread than in Spain, Italy or Germany and I think we are generally better run than them all except the Germans who have a wonderful model.

Perfectly summed up.

I think we might be confusing the entertainment value with actual quality.

I don't think anyone could argue the quality is highest in the EPL, but you could make a subjective claim to the entertainment level.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 24 Oct 2014, 9:21 am

Lamela's goal was terrific. Might have got a roasting if he had fluffed it though.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 9:57 am

SR.

The talk about a subjective claim on entertainment. well anyone could subjectively also state the the MLS or the SPL is the best entertainment for them as well. Thats not worth discussing. Its like preferring a type of music of a piece of art work.

In regards to entertainment in a non subjective way- The PL isnt just the most watched football league in the world- It is the most watched sporting league in the world.. Yes just because Nolans interstellar may gross 1 billion in its first two days doesnt mean its the best. But it has appeal. as you said before the PL is marketed well. But I think what helps it is that it has so many players from around the globe. In the WC the PL had players from 31 teams out of 32 in the WC squads that competed.. So it is open and naturally people like a world league if they are forign to that league.

In reagrds to quality what we could discuss and sadly the only thing we could discuss is the average value of player and teams worth. and that is highest in the PL. Now i dont like using that as a gauge as i also feel the values of players are not perfect so its a slightly arbitrary measure. I would rather people watch the games and decide for themselves- But you dont watch football as you admit time after time...

I think Dolphs post is perfect and sums up a lot of what i have said before. But i also think C&R raised some interesting pointers.

Look at Arsenal- The PL's 4th best team every year for a decade... They play one way. They try and go toe to toe with everyone. That usually beats lesser sides with ease. But as soon as they come up against a chelsea or city they get beat and they can get beat bad!!- I think Roma tried the same with bayern. Heck brazil certainly did with Germany

half the teams in the Pl are like stoke or WBA or Palace- these teams have ultimate respect for other teams and they play a certain way. Heck even chelsea play a certain way against certain teams..

Swansea almost went out the PL last season for sticking to there style. The style is fine(and an asset to the pl in regards to quality and variation) but they didnt quite have the depth to produce on the UEFA front and the PL front.

The whole of La liga plays that way- they all try to emulate the best in the league and by god they get punished for it. The PL doesn't. The PL has a variety of styles , but ultimately every team(bar a couple) is playing to win, not look pretty.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:07 am

I think the issue Oakey is that you have this odd idea that the strength in depth in the EPL is really good and better than other leagues, but when you consider some of the dross in there, i'm not so sure. There a 3 distinct divisions within one league with the bottom 6-7 in the EPL being truly atrocious, that doesn't really show depth at all.
There's always just 2 teams fighting it out for the league, and in most leagues.

I think the issue is simply that you prefer the EPL to other leagues, nothing wrong with that, but it isn't sufficient to claim it's the best league when it comes to quality or the standard of players within it.

Compare the bottom 5 in the Bundesliga with the bottom 5 in the EPL, I'm pretty sure the EPL bottom 5 would get tanked by at least 4 of them.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:20 am

No its not that at all. I think the world prefers the PL. And I support a bottom 5 pl team. And I know we would give the bottom 10 bundesliga sides a great game. I would even go as far to say that Nottingham forest and Watford would as well.

I think your fundamental problem is that you don't watch enough football. You can't see the finer details. The German league is a cracking product but not for week in week out competitive matches. But as mentioned its brilliant for there national team and brilliant for Bayern.

The pl has 3 teams that are moving heaven and hell to be the best(man u, city and Chelsea). LA liga has 2 but the bundes has 1.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:23 am

Fortunately the PL doesn't have to concern itself with the welfare of the national team
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:43 am

La Liga teams do tend to do well in the Europa League, which suggests strength in depth, at least for the top 7 sides.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

Every single week palace give sides a game. No one thinks its a banker game and yet we are probally the least valuable side in the pl bar maybe Leicester.

Last 2 games v probally the 4th best team in the world(Chelsea) has ended up 2-2 on aggregate.

Arsenal go there last season and get beat 6-0.

But arsenal beat us and allways beat us. But never by a large amount. They got there lucky 90 minute winner in the opener when we were managerless. West ham then beat us convincingly. But still only by a two goal margin . but we took our foot of the gas , probally due to beating them twice last season. West ham are a good side and pulis knew that last season. Millen probally didn't this season.

Palace don't get beat big ever. We never do. We compete in almost every single game and this is as said by one of if not the least valuable club in the division.

If I was a Sunderland fan I may have a very different perspective on things . but I am not . I am a palace fan. And we give it our all every single game. Win lose or draw. We would not get tonked by a bottom half bundes side and that's not just a fans perspective. I am sure every fan knows that.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 10:53 am

Stella wrote:La Liga teams do tend to do well in the Europa League, which suggests strength in depth, at least for the top 7 sides.

They did do well. A lot of the teams that won it say the 10 years before the last 5 where from cl drop out though. The pl for that sustained period rarely got any teams dropping out in to the uefa cup from the cl. We constantly had 4 teams going through.

Obviously things may be very different now. This season. With the added incentive of cl footy(worth 50m plus as well) we could have Everton, Tottenham and Liverpool fighting out for it.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

mystiroakey wrote:No its not that at all. I think the world prefers the PL. And I support a bottom 5 pl team. And I know we would give the bottom 10 bundesliga sides a great game. I would even go as far to say that Nottingham forest and Watford would as well.

I think your fundamental problem is that you don't watch enough football. You can't see the finer details. The German league is a cracking product but not for week in week out competitive matches. But as mentioned its brilliant for there national team and brilliant for Bayern.

The pl has 3 teams that are moving heaven and hell to be the best(man u, city and Chelsea). LA liga has 2 but the bundes has 1.

Ha ha ha, have you seen the bottom 5 of the bundesliga? Dortmund, Stuttgart, Hamburg, Freiburg and Werder Bremen.
I really can't see Palace, QPR, West Ham, Newcastle or Burnley giving them a good game.

I don't deny the English league is good, and of a higher quality than most, but there are a lot of very average teams in there, just like every other league. I'm not saying that any league is better than others or has more strength in depth but I really can't see how the EPL is better than any other league.

You keep saying that the Bundesliga is set up for Bayern, but they've won precisely the same number of Championships in the last 6 years as Man United, and the Bundesliga have had MORE different winners in the last 10 years than the EPL. Which is more predictable?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:04 am

The bundesliga only has 18 teams sr.

So apart from the fact we all know dortmound will be out of there bottom 5 soon you have to chop the bottom 2 off the pl for a comparible position.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:07 am

They should start up that anglo-Italian cup, but replace Italy with spain. That will settle a few arguments, even though that was 2nd tier stuff from memory.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

mystiroakey wrote:The bundesliga only has 18 teams sr.

So apart from the fact we all know dortmound will be out of there bottom 5 soon you have to chop the bottom 2 off the pl for a comparible position.

Ok, but that makes it even worse for the PL.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

Stella wrote:They should start up that anglo-Italian cup, but replace Italy with spain. That will settle a few arguments, even though that was 2nd tier stuff from memory.

Well I think with the change to the ueaf cup (winners get a cl spot)will make the difference in the coming years. But I think we should stop parachuting teams from the CL into the comp..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Stella Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:12 am

mystiroakey wrote:
Stella wrote:They should start up that anglo-Italian cup, but replace Italy with spain. That will settle a few arguments, even though that was 2nd tier stuff from memory.

Well I think with the change to the ueaf cup (winners get a cl spot)will make the difference in the coming years. But I think we should stop parachuting teams from the CL into the comp..

Definitely.
Stella
Stella

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:16 am

super_realist wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:The bundesliga only has 18 teams sr.

Ok, but that makes it even worse for the PL.

No It doesn't . we chop of Burnley and qpr. Basing the English leagues best 14th to 18th compared the Germans 14th to 18th can only logically make it fairer and strengthen the pl's position.

You were comparing the Germans 14th to 18th to the English leagues 16th to 20th...

And you were also basing it on a snap shot. And even with the teams you mention (from an illogical comparison) I could see all the teams giving the others  a good run out bar Dortmund, who like Everton in the Premier leagues 13th spot will improve on there position very quickly.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Fri 24 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

Stella wrote:La Liga teams do tend to do well in the Europa League, which suggests strength in depth, at least for the top 7 sides.

Yea for all the stick they get i always found smaller Spanish sides the toughest opposition when Rangers would be in the UEFA/Europa. They were very good technically, against each other they maybe cancel each other out but they do dominate the EL. Celta last year almost got to the quarters when rock bottom of La Liga.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 24 Oct 2014, 12:47 pm

super_realist wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Perfectly summed up.

I think we might be confusing the entertainment value with actual quality.

I don't think anyone could argue the quality is highest in the EPL, but you could make a subjective claim to the entertainment level.

I suppose it comes down to personal opinion there, and of course that is only natural with entertainment. Its personally to my suiting, unsurprising because ive grown up with it but it might also be that my attention span can be short as hell and some spanish and italian games can drift into very slow, rhythmic games

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 04 Nov 2014, 5:53 pm

Tonights games

Juventus vs Olympiakos
Arsenal vs Anderlecht 
Borussia Dortmund vs Galatasaray
Zenit vs Bayer Leverkusen
Basel vs Ludogorets
Real Madrid vs Liverpool
Malmo FF vs Athletico Madrid
Benfica vs Monaco

A bad result for Juve and they could be on the brink of being knocked out, BVB,Arsenal,Leverkusen and Real Madrid all able to qualify tonight.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by monty junior Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:28 pm

Fantastic all round goal by Leverkusen.

monty junior

Back to top Go down

Post by Mat Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:44 pm

Liverpool XI vs Real Madrid:

Mignolet, Manquillo, Toure, Skrtel, Moreno, Allen, Can, Lucas, Markovic, Lallana, Borini. Subs; Jones, Johnson, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sterling, Balotelli

Madrid XI;

Casillas, Arbeloa, Ramos, Varane, Marcelo, Kroos, Modric, James Rodriguez, Isco, Ronaldo, Benzema. Subs; Navas, Pepe, Bale, Chicharito, Nacho, Medran, Lucas Torro

Rodgers giving up before the game even begins?

Last edited by Mat on Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Mat
6CW Creative

http://twitter.com/#!/DiMattEvansWBA

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:46 pm

Ah gorgeous Fabio Borini up front.

Madrid 4-0? Worth a tenner.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 04 Nov 2014, 6:53 pm

liverpool waving the white flag before kick off

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:23 pm

I'd be embarrassed to be a Liverpool fan. Sticking out a COC side at the Bernabeu is a disgrace
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:30 pm

Wait years and years to get into the CL, make a huge deal of it, then give up. Pathetic really from rodgers

If I was a player left on the bench in the bernabeu I'd be fuming, absolutely fuming. These are the games you play the game for
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:32 pm

This is disrespectful. I hope we slaughter them. Stevie G isn't going to have many more chances to play at the Bernebeau. Poor Sterling isn't even being given a chance to properly assess his home next season!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:33 pm

Oh Sterling is playing? Local station says he isn't.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:35 pm

Benchy bench.

Pragmatism, sure the Pool fans will love it

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

He isnt.

Its a complete embarassment. I hope the club refund any fans in Madrid
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:39 pm

They'd better beat Chelsea on Saturday now...

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:40 pm

Embarrassing side. Gerrard retired from international football to prolong his career & make games like this. After this game, he's got four days until the Chelsea game & then he's got two Fuc***g weeks off because he doesn't play international football anymore. Embarrassing. Why even fly over there & fatigue the body.

Hopefully a Madrid thrashing, good to see Bale get on too & rip Moreno another one, like he did when he was playing for Sevilla.

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:45 pm

What the phuck? Henderson isn't even playing! We put out our best team two weeks ago, and we had an away clásico three days later
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:50 pm

It feels kinda like Liverpool are playing a Roy Evans Liverpool side whereas Real Madrid are playing in the present

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 7:54 pm

To be fair though, we've done our bit by playing Arbeloa.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:08 pm

This side is 20 times better than the supposed first 11...Not sure what's embarrassing about it.

Ok I have 20 minutes of hindsight Wink

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:11 pm

GET IN THERE

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:14 pm

Arsenal 1-0 - Arteta Pen
Madrid 1-0 - Benzema

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:15 pm

Arsenal 2-0 - Alexis

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm

How aren't we at least three up?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:31 pm

Dolphin Ziggler wrote:Benchy bench.

Pragmatism, sure the Pool fans will love it
"Let's prioritise getting into the top four so we can put out our reserve team to concentrate on getting into the top four"

And so on and so forth
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 04 Nov 2014, 8:37 pm

Fantastic Olly. Highlighted the ridiculous thinking perfectly.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Tue 04 Nov 2014, 9:01 pm

Arsenal 3-0 - Chamberlain

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next