The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ospreys season thread 2014-15

+46
Allty
Welly
HammerofThunor
whocares
wayne
Cyril
doctor_grey
No 7&1/2
BigGee
The Great Aukster
maestegmafia
TBJ9625
doctornickolas
Welshmushroom
Seagultaf
RDSguru
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
George Carlin
glamorganalun
LeinsterFan4life
IanBru
tatterd
No9
dragon4life
TJ
Cocokav
jimmyinthewell68
GavinDragon
Cardiff Dave
Shifty
VinceWLB
The Saint
Luckless Pedestrian
Welsh Magician
Janecory
Stone Motif
wales606
LordDowlais
Jenifer McLadyboy
ScarletSpiderman
Breadvan
profitius
Neutralee
bedfordwelsh
Exiledinborders
Notch
50 posters

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15

Go down

Ospreys season thread 2014-15 - Page 15 Empty Ospreys season thread 2014-15

Post by The Saint Tue 26 Aug 2014, 15:44

First topic message reminder :

Will Ospreys be worst team in Wales 2014-15?

Outside of some fairly decent signings (Bernardo, Matavesi, Roberts), and their inspiring captain (AWJ) the Ospreys squad looks very average and the first team could struggle to be within the top 6 of the Guinness Pro12. Squad: http://www.ospreysrugby.com/Teams/Squad/Ospreys. Do Ospreys fans believe little was done when Ryan/Adam Jones, Hibbard declared intentions to move? I think the current squad has potential, but the current coaches will neither develop them or get the best out of them when it comes to the field of play, I think Tandy is the worst pro rugby coach in Wales and quite possibly all of Europe. The departures of the senior players will do little to help either.

Dragons have a slightly better squad this term and are lead by a good coaching panel, as are the Scarlets and Blues. The Blues also have built quite a formidable squad and look the most likely to be winning silverware this season. This is why I can see Ospreys being the worst performing team in the 2014/15 season. To go from the team most likely to win silverware for a No. of years to potentially the worst is unforgivable.

Last edited by The Saint on Fri 03 Oct 2014, 21:57; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Title changed due to continued request. Former title is at the head of the post.)

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Ospreys season thread 2014-15 - Page 15 Empty Re: Ospreys season thread 2014-15

Post by The Saint Thu 05 Feb 2015, 13:51

No wayne, you are an embarrassing yourself like your team did, because you keep digging yourself a deeper hole. It's pretty stupid to lose to Treviso then just a week later say your current, understrength team would beat Treviso and the Dragons. That's just idiocy.
The team in the Pro12 with the best depth is Munster IMO, followed by Leinster and then the Blues and Glasgow.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Thu 05 Feb 2015, 17:02

The Saint wrote:No wayne, you are an embarrassing yourself like your team did, because you keep digging yourself a deeper hole. It's pretty stupid to lose to Treviso then just a week later say your current, understrength team would beat Treviso and the Dragons. That's just idiocy.
The team in the Pro12 with the best depth is Munster IMO, followed by Leinster and then the Blues and Glasgow.
You can't get a period right, you pick somebody up on their spelling, LOSE, LOOSE and then you come out with "you are an embarrassing yourself like your team did" and you reckon you go to College or University, what do you do there ? are you a cleaner or do some other menial job ?
You're trying to justify the ridiculous OP you came out with all those months ago, and if, and it is a big if we fall outside the top 6, we'll still finish well above your shower and definitely NOT be the worst Welsh Region, we'll leave that to you lot again, as I said at the time.
You'll obviously reply to this, I'll let you have the last word as I will not respond.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 05 Feb 2015, 21:46

wayne wrote:
The Saint wrote:No wayne, you are an embarrassing yourself like your team did, because you keep digging yourself a deeper hole. It's pretty stupid to lose to Treviso then just a week later say your current, understrength team would beat Treviso and the Dragons. That's just idiocy.
You can't get a period right, you pick somebody up on their spelling, LOSE, LOOSE and then you come out with "you are an embarrassing yourself like your team did" and you reckon you go to College or University, what do you do there ? are you a cleaner or do some other menial job ?
You're trying to justify the ridiculous OP you came out with all those months ago, and if, and it is a big if we fall outside the top 6, we'll still finish well above your shower and definitely NOT be the worst Welsh Region, we'll leave that to you lot again, as I said at the time.
You'll obviously reply to this, I'll let you have the last word as I will not respond.

Must have been multi-tasking this afternoon, been a busy day see, and I didn't go over my post before sending it. It isn't a spelling error though, just got a bit lost between what I was doing. Not that it matters or I care. Who said I went to uni wayne? And if I'm still catching the train or asking people for lifts to a rugby game by the time I'm your age then I'll know for certain I've failed in life. LOL, if you have your own chauffeur I'd understand where you're coming from. But as it is you don't and you're just a cretin.

I'm not trying to justify anything. I gave a view different to SOME others on this board and was met with anger by the usual blinkered fans from Ospreylia. You stopped by and gave your opinion which is fair, but then had to go attacking other teams as that's the usual retort of the lowlife fans in your region. Can't handle a different opinion can you, everyone has to think Ospreys are just absolutely amazing, something which they certainly are not if one has just an ounce of common sense. My point is right now, like it was one earlier in the season, is that you have poor strength in depth compared to previous season. How you were ever supposed to develop like that I'll never know. I've also stated there has been good signings for next season which will help Ospreys continue to grow, though these comments seem to get ignored. Your team recently made some changes and lost to Treviso. You've gone on record saying that Ospreys current team (taking into consideration injuries and call-ups) would beat Treviso and Dragons. No idea why someone would say that after having just LOST to Treviso. Somebody obviously didn't engage their brain before hitting the send button, guess they were too angry at somebody pointing out the complete obvious to them! At the time that comment must have been in great contrast to "the Ospreys are great." Jeez.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Feb 2015, 22:07

I'd have thought the all conquering Ospreys would have had bigger ambitions than worrying about what the Dragons do? Ah well.

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 07 Feb 2015, 17:11

Fantastic win for the top Welsh Region Ospreys 13-10 against Bath, down to 14 men twice at the Rec, with nowhere near a first or second choice team, now that is down to strength in depth.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sat 07 Feb 2015, 17:38

It wasn't anywhere near a first or second choice Bath team either; didn't watch the game but it hardly sounds convincing. A win is a win so well done - happy for the team and my buddy who got the all important score late on.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 09 Feb 2015, 21:35

A question for all Welsh posters, last week both our coaches for our LV games, Dan Griffiths and Tom Smith in Press Conferences and Preview for the game against Bath, came out with the statement of the 38 Teams that play in the 3 Major European Leagues, we (Ospreys) are the 34th or 35th best funded team this season, today on Ospreys TV, our CEO Andrew Hore came out with the same statement and then about a quarter of an hour ago, Steve Tandy our Head Coach also uttered the same statement in the Weekly Press Conference before the Edinburgh game this weekend. I'm presuming the bottom 4 teams in that list would be the Welsh Regions, Now back to the question, What is the order of these Teams within Wales?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 09 Feb 2015, 22:02

Blues would be highest I'm guessing. I would say Dragons are lowest of the 4, but we seem to be getting pots of gold from someone and buying some decent players with it. I think you're right that all 4 Welsh teams are bottom though.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 10 Feb 2015, 10:38

The Saint wrote:Blues would be highest I'm guessing. I would say Dragons are lowest of the 4, but we seem to be getting pots of gold from someone and buying some decent players with it. I think you're right that all 4 Welsh teams are bottom though.
WOW Saint I agree with you, the interview with Hore was very illuminating, the settling of the few arguments with the WRU and ERC has stabilised the income, we don't actually get any extra from these 2 organisations until after this financial year (ends April), so in different ways all 4 Teams have done reasonably well this year, we just all need to improve next year.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 16 Feb 2015, 11:28

Cometh ye my brothers and sisters with your finest banter trousers on:
https://www.606v2.com/t57731-glasgow-warriors-v-ospreys-21-february

Pivotal, crucial game.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 16 Feb 2015, 16:36

George Carlin wrote:Cometh ye my brothers and sisters with your finest banter trousers on:
https://www.606v2.com/t57731-glasgow-warriors-v-ospreys-21-february

Pivotal, crucial game.
George are you getting nervous? you've put basically the same question on this and the Topic you started.
From the team that started last Friday against your arch enemies, there will not be many changes in the Ospreys team, I hope Dirksen will replace Fussell, Habberfield oust Roberts, I expect King to replace the youngster Thornton in the 2nd row and Baker in at 8 with Ardron replacing Bearman at 6. All of those would NOT significantly improve our performance, and especially so in the area that a rapid improvement is needed the scrum
The 5th and 6th choice loosehead and 3rd and 4th choice hooker will be in the match day 23, and even the kid who'll be covering the tight head from the bench, will IMO NEVER make it at pro level, why we wasted so much money on Lydiate when we have such fundamental deficiencies is beyond belief, the loosehead position is very unfortunate and really couldn't be catered for, any team that is down to that level will struggle apart perhaps for Toulon
You should easily get 4 points, perhaps 5 and if we get better than 0 match points I'd be surprised.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Mon 16 Feb 2015, 16:52

Wayne, why did you put all your eggs on Dan Suter? From what i've seen i don't see him making it at pro level either. Wouldn't it have been wiser to keep Jo Rees who has a lot more potential?

I think the O's are up against it and it will be either them or Leinster (you can thanks the Drags!) to drop out of the top 4 at the end of the season.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Mon 16 Feb 2015, 18:36

VinceWLB wrote:Wayne, why did you put all your eggs on Dan Suter? From what i've seen i don't see him making it at pro level either. Wouldn't it have been wiser to keep Jo Rees who has a lot more potential?

I think the O's are up against it and it will be either them or Leinster (you can thanks the Drags!) to drop out of the top 4 at the end of the season.
That is the mystery that only the coaches can answer, according to our Match programme or website he is 5' 11" and nearly 18st, I've stood by the side of him and I'm 5'8" and he is not even 5'10" and I'd say he is just over 17st, he is just to small, the problem with Rees and Thomas is their work ethic off the field, Rees came on for us in a LV match against Northampton a few years ago and had a confrontation and a bit of a battle with Tongahuah (sp), and we all thought we've a gem here, but it didn't continue, the same could be said about Thomas, he came through with Smith and Otten through school and club (Waunarlwydd) into our academy and the Welsh Age grade system, but where the other 2 have kicked on, he has stagnated, he has dominated a lot at Welsh Premiership level, but when he came on as a sub IIRC against Saracens in the LV this season, he was NOT in the least bit dominant and was VERY SLOW about the field, in his defence he is not full time at our academy, I think he is at either College or University. We have had a lot of injuries to our front row this season, and if truth be told apart from Arhip at T/H and Smith, Jarvis at L/H we have been very negligent in our recruiting, with us also losing a number a number of our second rows through injury and having to put back row players in there hasn't helped, it is really remarkable that we are in the position we find ourselves, with the number of injuries and call ups we have endured.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Tue 10 Mar 2015, 21:40

Who was that seen walking with and talking to Steve Tandy at the Wales training session today?

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 13:57

Ospreys v Zebre
15 Dan Evans
14 Tom Grabham
13 Johnathon Spratt
12 Josh Matavesi
11 Hanno Dirksen
10 Sam Davies
9 Tom Habberfield
8 Dan Baker
7 Justin Tipuric
6 James King
5 Tyler Ardron
4 Lloyd Peers
3 Aaron Jarvis
2 Scott Baldwin
1 Ryan Bevington
Subs Nicky Smith, Scott Otten, Dmitri Arhip, AWJ, Dan Lydiate, Rhys Webb, Dan Biggar and Ben John would probably have had the subs starting except for Otten, disappointed that Steenkamp is not involved after the conversation I had with him after the Munster game, the coaches are keeping the big guns off, until or if we need them, it would be nice if they are not needed, yet I suspect they will be.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Fri 27 Mar 2015, 16:32

That team still isn't bad though Wayne.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 17:11

LordDowlais wrote:That team still isn't bad though Wayne.
I agree Lord, the line out should be fine with 4 decent jumpers, it is in the scrum we could struggle, with basically 2 back row forwards pushing 2 props, neither of which is the best in their position in the Region in that facet of the game.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 27 Mar 2015, 17:46

Great to see how quickly Nicky Smith has recovered.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Fri 27 Mar 2015, 20:45

If Steenkamp is fit then surely this game would have been an ideal introduction to the Pro12. Don't see the logic there.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Fri 27 Mar 2015, 21:53

The Saint wrote:If Steenkamp is fit then surely this game would have been an ideal introduction to the Pro12. Don't see the logic there.
According to the injury section he is included there, this is contrary to what he told me straight after the Munster game.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Mar 2015, 06:38

06:42:24

Players always think they can play.
wayne wrote:
The Saint wrote:If Steenkamp is fit then surely this game would have been an ideal introduction to the Pro12. Don't see the logic there.
According to the injury section he is included there, this is contrary to what he told me straight after the Munster game.

Players always think they can play, med staff have to keep some order. We are lucky to have some very good staff at llandarcy

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:42

maestegmafia wrote:06:42:24

wayne wrote:

Players always think they can play, med staff have to keep some order. We are lucky to have some very good staff at llandarcy
Maes, it was not only that conversation I had with him, before the previous home game with us, he was walking along the touchline with another SA (think) and there was no limp or impediment in any way showing, I take your point about our fitness and medical staff, they are very professional in their expertise and attitude, the point I'm getting to is that we IMO badly need a big lump in the 2nd row for scrum purposes and after that conversation I thought he could be ready, but there we are, we'll just have to do without him I guess.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sat 28 Mar 2015, 10:50

I can't believe Ospreys went for 200k Delve, i thought they were very well stocked at 8 with Baker, Ardron and Bearman as 3rd choice.
Waste of a signing imo. They should have saved that money for a decent tighthead like Francis.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 28 Mar 2015, 11:16

VinceWLB wrote:I can't believe Ospreys went for 200k Delve, i thought they were very well stocked at 8 with Baker, Ardron and Bearman as 3rd choice.
Waste of a signing imo. They should have saved that money for a decent tighthead like Francis.

In my view Adron nor Bearman are in the same league as Delve, for me he will push Baker all the way for being 1st choice No8 which in itself will hopefully help improve Baker. Delves leadership skills are second to none.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 28 Mar 2015, 21:43

wayne wrote:

wayne wrote:

Maes, it was not only that conversation I had with him, before the previous home game with us, he was walking along the touchline with another SA (think) and there was no limp or impediment in any way showing, I take your point about our fitness and medical staff, they are very professional in their expertise and attitude, the point I'm getting to is that we IMO badly need a big lump in the 2nd row for scrum purposes and after that conversation I thought he could be ready, but there we are, we'll just have to do without him I guess.  

I thought young Lloyd has bulked up quite a lot this season. He and Ardon had good games, admittedly against a poor Zebre team.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 29 Mar 2015, 20:35

maestegmafia wrote:
wayne wrote:

wayne wrote:

I thought young Lloyd has bulked up quite a lot this season. He and Ardon had good games, admittedly against a poor Zebre team.
Yes Maes, I think you are right about Lloyd, he seems to have grown, if it hadn't been for a few brain farts by Dirksen that could have been a 70 point win yesterday, there were some very notable performances by second choice players, especially the half backs Davies and Habberfield, many on our forum have wanted Habbers before Roberts for months, he challenges around the fringes and knows how to tackle, I don't know how long he signed for but if we can unload Roberts it would be good business, Webb, Habbers and yesterdays scrum half for Zebre Leonard and Grabham whom we have converted to a wing as emergency cover would be enough.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 29 Mar 2015, 20:43

Wayne, with Habberfield starting over Martyn Roberts, do you think that Ospreys have wised up to the fact that he is not good enough ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wayne Sun 29 Mar 2015, 21:30

LordDowlais wrote:Wayne, with Habberfield starting over Martyn Roberts, do you think that Ospreys have wised up to the fact that he is not good enough ?

Lord, I f......g hope so, his service is as good as Roberts, he challenges the fringes which Roberts doesn't and he can tackle which Roberts can't, I've never rated Roberts he always came across as extremely petulant, IMO we don't need him next season, the sticking point is that he was signed IIRC for 2 or 3 years, can we get somebody to take him off our hands, I doubt it.

wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 27 Apr 2015, 15:36

Yes, it's a bit keen/sad/early, but I have time to do this one now:
https://www.606v2.com/t58736-ospreys-v-glasgow-warriors-8-may

Bringest thou, thy finest banter trousers. guinness

The kettle is on.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 24 May 2015, 19:23

Well it's just been reiterated on Scrum V that Munster were worthy winners. I've just watched highlights and Ospreys scored two very lucky tries and Webb made a clear knock-on in a game that Munster controlled very well, so why Ospreys fans are bemoaning this I do not know. So now that that's been cleared up members of the one true region brigade can get off my back...and while you're at it how about an apology for claiming Dragons would be bottom region and getting it completely WRONG (for you wayne). In future I hope your brigade can turn a corner and be able to see past Ospreylia, realising that there is a big wide world out there with diverse people and opinions. Good luck for next season.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 19:27

I watched this in the pub and much to my dismay all the locals were cheering on Swansea and a big cheer went up when they scored at the end. I was so relieved when the try was disallowed although lets hope Rhys Webb does not make these mistakes for Wales in the RWC

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 19:29

The Saint wrote:Well it's just been reiterated on Scrum V that Munster were worthy winners. I've just watched highlights and Ospreys scored two very lucky tries and Webb made a clear knock-on in a game that Munster controlled very well, so why Ospreys fans are bemoaning this I do not know. So now that that's been cleared up members of the one true region brigade can get off my back...and while you're at it how about an apology for claiming Dragons would be bottom region and getting it completely WRONG (for you wayne). In future I hope your brigade can turn a corner and be able to see past Ospreylia, realising that there is a big wide world out there with diverse people and opinions. Good luck for next season.
Wow Saint slating a set of supporters that aren't Ponty fans. That makes a nice refreshing change Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 24 May 2015, 19:36

Come on Steff, you lot need a good slating now and then... I hope you guys continue to get involved in Welsh rugby, providing us with players Wink.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 19:38

The Saint wrote:Come on Steff, you lot need a good slating now and then... I hope you guys continue to get involved in Welsh rugby, providing us with players Wink.
True. Maybe you guys at Newport can start providing the Welsh team with a few players as well in return Smile

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 24 May 2015, 19:40

Steffan wrote:
The Saint wrote:Come on Steff, you lot need a good slating now and then... I hope you guys continue to get involved in Welsh rugby, providing us with players Wink.
True. Maybe you guys at Newport can start providing the Welsh team with a few players as well in return Smile

Hallam Amos Wink. Besides, us Dragons have good relations with our other clubs too (Cross Keys, Ebbw Vale, Bedwas) - each need to get their share of academy boys. Very one true region-esque of us...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 19:41

On another note I guess I shouldn't slate the Swansea RFC "region" as we at Ponty could be part of them next season Laugh

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 24 May 2015, 21:26

Steffan wrote:On another note I guess I shouldn't slate the Swansea RFC "region" as we at Ponty could be part of them next season Laugh

You're slacking Steff. You haven't had a dig at the Terks this evening. What's up?

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 21:39

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Steffan wrote:On another note I guess I shouldn't slate the Swansea RFC "region" as we at Ponty could be part of them next season Laugh

You're slacking Steff. You haven't had a dig at the Terks this evening. What's up?
Well being as the Terks are the region of west Wales, north Wales, west Europe etc. I was waiting for all 4,000 of them to cram into the 'West is not so best' Ikea stadium to hurl these insults

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 24 May 2015, 22:18

Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Well being as the Terks are the region of west Wales, north Wales, west Europe etc. I was waiting for all 4,000 of them to cram into the 'West is not so best' Ikea stadium to hurl these insults

Get in. That's all 4 now Steff and you even bashed new Stradey. Well done.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 24 May 2015, 22:24

Cardiff Dave wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Cardiff Dave wrote:

Get in. That's all 4 now Steff and you even bashed new Stradey. Well done.
Good ain't I Smile

At least you and Newpeeeeert got decent grounds to play in

The 'West is Best' imprint is the most ironic thing in Welsh rugby. The emptier the stadium the better the view. If anything it highlights how poor the attendances are. But that's the Sospans for you...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 15 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 13, 14, 15