The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Berkhamsted GC

3 posters

Go down

Berkhamsted GC Empty Berkhamsted GC

Post by Hibbz Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:53 pm

Please could some of our readers that have played the above course give me some feedback regarding it.

Many thanks in advance.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Berkhamsted GC Empty Re: Berkhamsted GC

Post by George1507 Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm

It's excellent. No sand bunkers, but plenty of other problems to occupy your mind.

Like most courses, position off the tee is very important. If you are in the middle of the fairways, the approach shots always seem quite easy. Get on the wrong side, and they all seem to be hard shots, and you'll be doing plenty of chipping.

There are a few longer holes (usually par 5s I think) with a series of humps where the rough is allowed to grow wild. These run across the fairway, dividing the hole in two - and in one case three. So make sure you hit your drive short of it, and then hit your second short of the next one, then pitch on. The temptation to blaze away with a three wood is to be resisted. You'll be looking for your ball in the cross rough.

The greens are usually good - quick, but the slopes aren't too severe. Watch out for the road on the last - or is it the ninth? - can't remember. Not many courses where you hit it over a regular road.

Clubhouse is quite new, and very nice. One of the better courses in Herts for sure, and there are a lot of good ones.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by longgame Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:04 am

Good Course.

I would describe it mainly as "fiddly" or "tricky"

Played in the Berkhampstead trophy a couple of times, years back when my handicap was low enough.
length wont be an issue if you hit the ball an average distance, lot of sloping fairways and around the greens there are lots of mounds and humps that make it very tough to get up and down.
It cant really be overpowered despite being quite short, you need to put the balls in areas that give you a good line to the green.
The 9th/18th (not sure which way round it plays now) is a good hole - 90degree left dog leg with a 2 tier green.

From memory... Gary Wolstenholme won it the last time I played in the trophy with a few under. so if you have an inkling as to how he plays golf then you will understand what type of course it is!

Very different to most course in Herts/beds/bucks and well worth a go

longgame

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Thank you.

I'm playing in their Mid-age Open in September and it sounds like hopefully it will suit me as I don't hit the ball far and am pretty useless out of bunkers!

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum