The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher

+12
gw
Sand
ralphjohn69
beninho
MustPuttBetter
Davie
pedro
robopz
GPB
super_realist
LadyPutt
kwinigolfer
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Sep 2014, 3:45 am

1).69 survivors from last weekend's Deutsche Bank Championship descend on the Denver, Colorado, area this week for the BMW Championship, Round 3 of the FedEx Play Offs. They'll compete at Cherry Hills Country Club, a Par-70 William (Shinnecock) Flynn design, almost 100 years old, which hasn't seen the Tour's finest since Hubert Green won the 1985 PGA Championship. Last week's tournament ran Friday thru Monday, but we revert to a normal Thursday thru Sunday schedule in Denver.

2).There was an anti-climactic air about the Deutsche Bank finale, whether it was the golf or the coverage I'm not quite sure but NBC fumbled their way through the broadcasting responsibilities. Their failure to grasp the nuances of the FedEx points system suggested a crew-wide lack of anything approaching 'O' Level calibre arithmetic, which meant they were continually chasing the wrong story in the FedEx points plot.

3).And, on transfer deadline day, NBC's commentators resembled Arsenal fans. Like Gooners who were desperate for a striker, the NBC storyline was all about Rory McIlroy. But like the Arsenal faithful who craved an Aguero or Falcao but got Danny Bl00dy Welbeck instead, so NBC missed out on Rory and seemed unprepared when they got Chris Kirk. (As did Tom Watson but that's another story.)    

4).Kirk comes across as unassuming as any professional athlete is ever likely to be, but he's a terrific golf talent and has enjoyed a very consistent season just below the top level. With average improvement and motivation he has a chance to be a force on the PGA Tour. Apparently he's perfectly happy missing out on Gleneagles as he has tickets to an amateur football game instead, so maybe Watson was right.

5).We said au revoir to Poulter and goodbye for the season to Luke Donald, disappointing seasons for both of them. Paul Casey and Gonzo also left the stage, but encouraging seasons for them and hopefully a springboard for greater success with full status in 2014/2015.

6).So, moving on to Cherry Hills are Europeans:
McIlroy
Kaymer
Garcia (back from the US Open Tennis)
. . . . and these three should advance
Rose (also back from his hols) moves on with a Top 45-ish finish
Knox
McDowell (back from baby duties)
Stenson
Jacobson
Pettersson

7).Garcia and Rose are some way back in FedEx points but nothing that a win won't put right. I'm somewhat surprised that Rory's playing this week; he looked pretty whipped on Monday and learned two years ago that wins in Majors and early round Play Off events aren't worth much in FedEx currency if you don't bring your 'A' game to Atlanta and the Tour Championship.

8).Apart from the two winners, the story of the past two weeks has been Geoff Ogilvy. It is ironic that a couple of years ago saw him miss a tiddler of a putt when in contention late in an Aussie tournament. He suggested at the time that that three-footer could cost him a year-end owgr Top 50 position and all the resultant rewards. Sure enough, he missed the Top 50 by a decimal point, missed Augusta and started a downhill spiral.
He found a parachute a month ago in Reno, and has been movin' on up ever since. A great talent, clever guy and it's great to see him bounce back - a decent finish, about 50th will do nicely, and he'll be on to Atlanta and a ticket to next year's Majors and some WGC's.
'Course, Appleby's in pretty much the same boat. The great year for Aussies doesn't stop, eight of them playing in Denver.

9).Hardly anyone in the field this week has experience of Cherry Hills, though Mickelson (won) and Furyk played the US Amateur there 24 years ago. Spieth & Matsuyama played Cherry Hills, without success, in the 2012 US Amateur whilst Tringale and Hoffmann played the Palmer Cup there, but can't find any record of others (perhaps Stadler might have done?) playing in competition.  
Phil could be a good bet again this week - no real clue as to who might play well, tho leaning towards West Coast guys and against the South-East crew who did so well last week. And isn't it just about time Schwartzel had a good week?
Denver's at 5,000 feet above sea level (both big Tours playing at altitude this week) so altitude, fatigue, form, you name it will come in to play.

10).2,000 miles away, in North Carolina, Q-School is taking place in the form of Tournament #2 of the WTF Series. Bud Cauley won last week and deservedly retrieves his Tour card for the 14/15 season. And Mansfield's Greg Owen will also be back for another crack at the big show after last week's 3rd place finish, while David Lingmerth (T4) is almost sure to join him.
There are a dozen Aussies playing, five or six South Africans (Immelman, Grace, Sterne etc) and almost 20 other Tour winners.
The FedEx Cup finale at East Lake is sometimes exciting, often not so much. But the Q-School element of the WTF Series is compelling, golfers competing with their careers on the line, not just their millions.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by LadyPutt Wed 03 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

Hi Kwini - agree with you about Rory. He looked f****ed on Monday (as he did during the Barclays) and I do wonder why he's bothering to play this week. After all, it can't be that he needs the money? We do need him to be fit, rested and raring to go for the Ryder Cup so I'm surprised Cap'n McGiney hasn't had a word - or doesn't Rory listen to advice any more?

Interesting to see the resurgence of Caroline's tennis career since the break-up of the romance too - obviously it really didn't suit either of them! Too young perhaps?
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: Golf's Mile High Club: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 12:40 pm

Is everyone forgetting the Ryder Cup is in late September, by the time this weeks tournament finished it will only be the 7th. The first actual game isn't until the 26th for goodness sake.

Even the likes of Lowry if he ran 7 consecutive marathons could recover in that time.
Far too much is made of a golfers "exhaustion"
They are only walking a few miles and playing about 30 full shots a day more than when they are practicing.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 Sep 2014, 2:18 pm

McGinley added three more Vice Captains to his staff?  How many Vice Captains are needed?  Jeez

In addition to Des Smith and Sam Torrance, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Padraig Harrington, and Jose Maria Olazabal will be wearing the Euro Uniforms.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 2:43 pm

GPB wrote:McGinley added three more Vice Captains to his staff?  How many Vice Captains are needed?  Jeez

In addition to Des Smith and Sam Torrance, Miguel Angel Jimenez, Padraig Harrington, and Jose Maria Olazabal will be wearing the Euro Uniforms.
AWESOME... IMO Jimenez is a great pick for a Europe VC... With him around, at least there will be somebody to pass out consolation wine & cigars to the Euro players at the end of the week as all the champagne cork popping will be going on in the other locker room.... RedWine

PS... Kwini... another excellent write-up as usual...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 03 Sep 2014, 2:49 pm

There's gonna be traffic jam on the cart path!

PS. Why bother with Harrington?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 2:50 pm

pedro wrote:There's gonna be traffic jam on the cart path!

PS. Why bother with Harrington?

Not sure either, but if he's in a buggy, at least he's not waddling around like a penguin.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 03 Sep 2014, 3:41 pm

Don't like the idea of a past captain as a current VC - and don't like the idea of Harrington in there either. Nice to see MAJ in there though. I wonder how close Luke was to getting the VC pick instead of Paddy

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:01 pm

Kwini...

IMO there's THREE reasons why Rory's playing this week.

1) IMO he's more driven to win the FE Cup than many people think. And despite him not winning last time when he was #1 seed going into Eastlake, he knows the importance of staying not only top-5 going into the TC, but as high into the top-5 as possible. And sitting at #2 it's "likely" he remains top-5... but it wouldn't take a ridiculous set of circumstances to knock him out of the top-5 either. If Rory were not to play... consider the scenarios for the other players to pass Rory.

*Mayhan only needs a 66th or better to pass Rory

*Walker needs a 5th or better to pass Rory

*Kuchar needs a 4th or better to pass Rory

*Any one of Watson, Day or Furyk need a 3rd or better to pass Rory

*Any one of Spieth, Fowler, Zach, Reed, Scott, Henley, Kaymer, Senden, Haas or Tringale need a 2nd or better (Spieth can do it with a 2-way time for 2nd)

*Any one of the remaining 49 pass Rory with a win.

So in a "perfect storm" of everything going wrong that could... Rory could get knocked down as far as 8th, so that ain't happening. But otherwise, it's almost a lock Mahan finishes 66th or better in a 69 man field, then only 3 of the remaining 5 scenarios would need to come to pass... and Rory could be knocked down to 6th and lose control of his "destiny" in the Tour Championship.

2) Rory's been talking for weeks about getting to Cherry Hills. There are only a few really tight holes, but otherwise it's a bombers paradise. There are 4 par-5's and 2 different par-4's they can set up to be reachable if they so choose. And as long as Rory hits it... plus factoring in the altitude... if there was ever a course where an even semi-accurate long driver can bomb it over the trouble off the tee... Cherry Hills is it.

3) OK... maybe he's tired, but other than Sergio, Rose & maybe GMac, who in this field is any LESS tired? (and GMac could be the most tired of any of 'em with the new baby and all). And look what a tired Rory did last week. Astonishing to think that just 7 weeks ago we were still wondering if Rory was going to be able to win on the PGA Tour this year... and now we're talking about how tired he looked finishing a "lousy 5th" against a chalk field last week.

Now while I think Super's comment above VASTLY underestimates the effect of fatigue on players at this level (more mental than physical)... I think he's got enough "want to" in him right now to dig deep enough to find it this weekend if he can get himself in position again.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:08 pm

Robo, my point was that even by playing this week, a player STILL has 3 weeks of recuperation before the Ryder Cup.
If it's enough for a tennis player, it's enough for a bloody golfer who does little more than walk.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:43 pm

super_realist wrote:Robo, my point was that even by playing this week, a player STILL has 3 weeks of recuperation before the Ryder Cup.
If it's enough for a tennis player, it's enough for a bloody golfer who does little more than walk.
Super... I get your point on fatigue, at least as it relates to the physical side. I think most any of these top players could play 36 holes a day for a month and not be [much] worse for the wear.

But it's the MENTAL fatigue that drains 'em... and especially for the guys who are in the heat of contention week after week. And that kind of fatigue has an effect on everything from how they feel physically, to decision making and to focus & concentration. The level of not only physical talent, but the mental control one needs to win at this level is incredible... and it's just damn tough to make it happen for guy who's "fatigued" in the sense I'm talking about.

But as far as the Ryder Cup is concerned... Yeah, I think that one is an exception to the rule... just like majors. They all get a week off before the Ryder Cup... so that's plenty enough to chill and recharge. But even if any of them were totally gassed going into Gleneagles, these guys get so jacked for the Ryder Cup, it might affect their quality of preparation and practice rounds a bit, but I doubt it would affect them once the matches start.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 4:48 pm

Again Robo, 3 weeks recuperation from the end of this week to the Ryder Cup, surely sufficient for any sportsman.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Wed 03 Sep 2014, 5:59 pm

I question the "mental exhaustion" excuse too.  I see "Pro" athletes in other sports playing back to back games on consecutive days in different cities.  

Rory really was never in contention at Barclays, so he didn't have the added stress.

NFL Football players play 16 out 17 weeks. after weeks of practice including two a days.  Its golf and they are pro golfers.  If they can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 6:03 pm

I don't doubt you can get mentally exhausted, or at least lose a little focus if you play too much of any sport, but three weeks break is enough for anyone.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

I guess I'm missing how Rory (or any of the players who qualify for the Tour Championship) are going to get a 3 week break?   Rory's playing this week, then will play next week in the Tour Championship, then will have ONE week off and be at Gleneagles the following Monday.    And I don't understand how a break for him week after next, somehow helps him be fresh THIS week (his 5th big event in 6 weeks) or next week (which will be his 6th big event in 7 weeks)  

But like I said... that ONE week off between the Tour Championship and Ryder Cup should help them all (except Donaldson).... and with the adrenaline associated with the Ryder Cup... I'm sure they'll all be raring and ready to go for the RC...

But a bunch of players should be VERY well rested for the Ryder Cup... at least on the Euro Side.  Rory, Kaymer and Sergio are certain to play through the Tour Championship. Sergio's (currently FE 23) not a lock, but any kind of "middling" finish and he should be good for the TC).  Rose is currently inside the top-30 (27)  but needs to play at least decent this week to continue to the TC, and GMac (53) & Stenson (55) need a good weeks to continue.   And of course Westwood and Poulter and done with the FECup so they do have 3 weeks off.    Donaldson, Bjorn & Dubuisson are entered in the European Masters this week, Gallacher is not.  And it appears as though none of the Euro Ryder Cuppers are entered in the following weeks KLM Open. Donaldson is entered in his home country Wales Open the week before the RC. (there is a ET requirement that members must play their "home country" event)

On the American side... 10 of the Ryder Cupper's are pretty much locks to play the Tour Championship (Mahan, Walker, Kuchar, Bubba, Furyk, Spieth, Fowler, Zach, Reed & Webb)... only Keegan Bradley (28) and Mickelson (56) are at risk not to make it.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:29 pm

Hi robo,
Good to hear from you.
What is your reaction to comment that I passed on last week to the effect that Mahan is a popular "choice" because John Wood is an even stronger influence in the "team room"?

Looking forward to seeing Cherry Hills for the first time since Hubie won so unexpectedly 29 years ago - a fun guy to follow if ever there was one! (And good health to him.)

I feel Rory missed the boat by not taking last week off, but only time will tell about the effects of fatigue. I reckon it depends in many cases on the golfer's regular routine - someone who never plays more than 3 wks on the trot is bound to be more affected than a young gun who plays every week.
In Rory's case, history has shown he has a four or five week span of HOT play followed by relatively ordinary stuff. His late 2012 results were spectacular, but he was a non-entity in Tour Championship and the RC until beating Keegs on the Sunday when, as we all now know, he had a long lie-in!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:14 pm

Hey Kwini...

I'm not really up on Wood's influence in the RC team room thing... and since Oakland Hills was the last RC I personally attended... I've never heard a peep about it.  And other than to maybe say hello... I've never really met John, so I can't give any real insight there either.

And not sure what to make of Rory's playing so much.  No doubt he's gassed... and he didn't need to even admit it... we saw it for ourselves on Monday.    And yes, I'm quite aware of his history when playing too much in a stretch... but if last week's T5 against a chalk field while "gassed" is any indication... NO WAY I get off the Rory wagon this week... especially after how much he's talked about looking forward to play Cherry Hills.

And speaking of Cherry Hills.  I got to play it once.  We did the "gaggle-o-guys" Vail/Beaver Creek trip back in the late 90's... may have even been 2000. One of our group had a contact at Cherry Hills, so three of us stayed an extra day to play it.  And gotta tell ya... even though we had a great time, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be (except for the Clubhouse... wow... wow... wow). Maybe I was expecting too much.  I mean the course was really nice and all, and in excellent shape, but then so was every place else we played on that trip.   But the good part was... since we had played so much the prior 3 days we were pretty much gassed ourselves... and since our host member was a higher handicapper... we played the member tees (middle tees of 5) and tore that place up.  Rough wasn't up very high so we pretty much blasted away with reckless abandon.  With the altitude, it sure was fun blowing it over all the trouble an going for all the par-5's... just like the "real" players... :-)   Another thing... I wasn't as versed on the 1960 Open then as I am now... perhaps if I had been, it would have been even better. (but I did drive it pin-high on #1... so there's THAT!)

But as far as rating it for a champion test or anything... I dunno... I'm nobody to judge. Obviously it's gonna be set up for a real championship this week, so I expect it won't be near as easy as we found it.... and I do remember looking back... I mean WAAAAAY back at some of the tees we weren't playing.  Had we played the Championship or even back tees, I'd probably have a different impression...

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:25 pm

Thanks for your memories robo! Looking forward to seeing it on TV tomorrow.

And: Great news for PUMA: Rickie Fowler has won the PGA Tour's August Player Of The Month Award from Rory McIlroy, Camilo and Hunner.
This award is getting more ridiculous by the month - exactly HOW many tournaments did Rickie win in August/2014/anytime in the past two year? Rory won twice as many tournaments in August as Rickie's won in his entire career. Gimme a break.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:36 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Thanks for your memories robo! Looking forward to seeing it on TV tomorrow.

And: Great news for PUMA: Rickie Fowler has won the PGA Tour's August Player Of The Month Award from Rory McIlroy, Camilo and Hunner.
This award is getting more ridiculous by the month - exactly HOW many tournaments did Rickie win in August/2014/anytime in the past two year? Rory won twice as many tournaments in August as Rickie's won in his entire career. Gimme a break.
That's just stupid... They've GOT to take that vote away from the fans..

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:54 pm

Some interesting insight on Cherry Hills from a member sane one-time PGA Tour great, David Duval:

http://www.pgatour.com/tourreport/2014/09/03/qa-david-duval-cherry-hills.html

Hope NBC and Golf Channel use DD in their commentary teams - far more to offer than guys like Jacobsen and Rolfing will ever have.

EDIT: It also points out that Cherry Hills will play as a Par-70, not 71 as I originally put in Note 1). above (based upon PGA Tour info!).

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:55 pm

Love this American 'lock' term. Seems to be in fashion at the mo.

Everyone seems very confident that we're looking at a European win at the end if the month. I genuinely think it's going to be tough. I see more weak links in the Euro side than the US one
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Thanks for your memories robo! Looking forward to seeing it on TV tomorrow.

Sounds a bit of nepotism.
Vote for 'murica gad nam it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

Should be a fine day for Round 1 of the Beemer in Denver, mostly fair weather thru the weekend but always the chance of a thundershower. Nothing unusual in the wind department, certainly nothing like the Seve story Sam Torrance told the other day on Feherty.

And the "Chiquita Classic", in the Charlotte area of North Carolina, gets underway within the hour. Banana skins clearly await some of these WTF Series players, but who? Greg Owen already has his card for next year, but now it's all about his position in the "reshuffle" pecking order.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 1:54 pm

More trouble with the Olympic Course in Brazil.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/09/03/4326025/rio-court-puts-olympic-golf-course.html 

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:23 pm

Regarding the Olympic golf course, What a mess!
Ill conceived that golf is added to the Olympics and especially so that Rio should be the first golf venue. They played the World Cup a few years ago in Argentina which presumably still has adequate infrastructure to host the Olympic event. Wonder if that's a possibility, remote though it may be?

It's looking like the full field of 69 will tee it up in Denver - any odds on how many holes Tim Clark lasts? I'll go for the under of 37 holes.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:31 pm

I haven't seen any snark on GMAC's daughter's name.

Vale (sp?) McDowell

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:42 pm

I was unaware that Gmac was a fan of potteries football/

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

It's a nicer-sounding name for a young lady than Burslem perhaps, ben?
Actually I've heard it was a special request of McDool's American missus . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:47 pm

Maybe GMAC's a Bergerac fan.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Actually I've heard it was a special request of McDool's American missus . . . . . . .

But of course you would say that!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 3:54 pm

Of course I "would say that"!

Good starts for Ryder Cuppers ar Crans, Donald'son -5, Bjorn -4, and Dubuisson still out there at -3.

Hoping for similar strong showings at Cherry Hills . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:37 pm

Plenty of early birdies at Cherry Hills; holes 1 and 3 are reachable (by some anyway) Par-4's so expect those kicking off on #1 to be under par early on.

Tim Clark teed off so all 69 runners are good to go.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 8:51 pm

In response to super's speculation about top points scorers in 2014 among Ryder Cuppers:
McIlroy: 482 pts
Watson: 273
Garcia: 256
Fowler: 242
Furyk: 235
Kaymer: 222
Kuchar: 216
Rose: 208
Spieth: 191
Walker: 187
Reed: 177
Mahan: 157
Stenson: 152
Gallacher: 149
Mickelson: 137
Johnson: 132
Bradley: 126
McDowell: 125
Donaldson: 112
Dubuisson: 110
Westwood: 95
Simpson: 91
Bjorn: 87
Poulter: 45

In mitigation of Europe's ranking above, many of their higher rated events occur in the autumn, so hardly surprising that those, especially Europe-based, players would gear their schedule accordingly.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:34 pm

Take away Kaymer's wins and he is behind Poulter.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:43 pm

GPB wrote:Take away Kaymer's wins and he is behind Poulter.

What a ridiculously stupid comment, by that same logic if you take away Rory's 4 wins he'd have less points than Gallacher.....or if you take away Poulter's 42 pts he'd have no points..... Doh Doh

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:46 pm

Well EXCUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!!!  

Just pointing out that Kaymer has not played well other than two tournaments.  Behind the guy in last place.

If he had finished solo 2nd in those two tournaments, he would not have made the team on merit.

EDIT:  He barely would have made the team on merit by finishing solo 2nd in Players and US Open.  175 points.

Last edited by GPB on Thu 04 Sep 2014, 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 222 points was gross pts YTD, not the gross in the qualifying period.)

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm

The sort of logic that propels Rickie Fowler to be PGA Tour Player Of The Month for August.
Sorry, GPB, but if you take away Woods's wins he'd be about a billion dollars lighter. Winners win.

'Course, I used that sort of ifKucharhadn'tholedthatbunkershotatHarbourTown then LukeDonaldwouldhavequalifiedfortheRyderCup logic.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:03 pm

That's ok, you're excused! Wink

Your argument assumes all other things being equal; what if Kaymer had played better in latter tournaments as he knew he needed big results to get in due to not winning Players and/or US open? His results post US open may have been completely different in this scenario. As it is he could afford to score few points elsewhere as his 2 wins had already qualified him.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:21 pm

Some images of Jason Day making him look like (an 84-y-o) Arnold Palmer . . . . picking the ball out of the hole.
Has he done his back?

Another futile "effort' from Top Five.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:28 pm

Yes, I am sure Martin said to himself....I can miss the cut in Germany and Valhalla and Barclays because I have already clinched a spot in the Ryder Cup.  56th in a 75 player field in Akron. Only guy to play 72 holes at Hoylake and finish behind Woods.

Kwini, The PGA player of the month does not bother me at all, and I don't know why it would bother any adult.  Its meaningless!!

Fowler has a lot of young fans and I bet they were padding the vote.  

Yes the US team has a lot of players that are not playing well.  But so does Team Europe.  I suspect that McGinley will keeping Kaymer on the bench as much as possible just like Ollie did two years ago.  He is going to ride Rory, Sergio, Rosy in all five sessions.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by ralphjohn69 Thu 04 Sep 2014, 11:46 pm

GPB wrote:Yes, I am sure Martin said to himself....I can miss the cut in Germany and Valhalla and Barclays because I have already clinched a spot in the Ryder Cup.  56th in a 75 player field in Akron. Only guy to play 72 holes at Hoylake and finish behind Woods.

Kwini, The PGA player of the month does not bother me at all, and I don't know why it would bother any adult.  Its meaningless!!

Fowler has a lot of young fans and I bet they were padding the vote.  

Yes the US team has a lot of players that are not playing well.  But so does Team Europe.  I suspect that McGinley will keeping Kaymer on the bench as much as possible just like Ollie did two years ago.  He is going to ride Rory, Sergio, Rosy in all five sessions.

Of course he didn't say that to himself! He might have played better in subsequent events had he not already had the 2 big wins but he might not, who knows? But you certainly can't just assume every result since would have been identical if his results in the Players and the US Open had been different.

And he'll play at least 3, probably 4 times at Gleneagles in my opinion, you don't give a guy who's won the US Open & The Players within the past 4 months minimal game time.

ralphjohn69

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 05 Sep 2014, 12:19 am

ralphjohn69 wrote:

And he'll play at least 3, probably 4 times at Gleneagles in my opinion, you don't give a guy who's won the US Open & The Players within the past 4 months minimal game time.

You could be right.  That bench only holds four people and Westy and Poults and Doobie and GMAC there is not much room left.   Wink

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Sep 2014, 1:24 am

Threat of incoming "inclement weather" causes Round 1 play to be suspended until Friday.
The spectre of Ryder Cuppers signing for inclement scorecards more like:
Reed: +7
Mahan: +5
Simpson: +3
Walker: +2
Bradley, Fowler, Johnson, Kuchar: +1
Bubba, Phil, Furyk: Even . . . . . more like.
Good job Spieth had a good round to give America hope against "old Europe".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:40 am

I'm not sure it's either Captains strategy to play anyone in 5 sessions any more. The Celtic Manor weather situation effectively changed things that way and it makes sense for no one to play 5 sessions.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sand Fri 05 Sep 2014, 10:50 am

Was surprised at the scoring yesterday, seemed quite a short course in relative terms with quite a few driveable par 4's.

Sand

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:07 am

Deep rough and very firn greens I think, Sand, plus a little trouble making altitude adjustment.
On the low scoring side, overnight rain will have softened the course, especially the greens, a little.
On the high scoring side, overnight rain will act like Miracle Gro on the rough.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:19 am

Brooks Koepka playing well in the Alps, and is it time to start taking notice of David Lipsky?
The 26-y-o American is on a nice run of form, Top 25 finishes in his last three European tournaments and on another leaderboard today.

Hoping Dubuisson's round keeps going - he had an early double bogey but now up to 4th.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:20 am

Crans Sur Sierre looks like a joy to play.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Fri 05 Sep 2014, 11:42 am

super_realist wrote:Crans Sur Sierre looks like a joy to play.
I've skied on the 18th green... Never been there in summer tho.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by gw Fri 05 Sep 2014, 8:31 pm

Donaldson showing exactly why he's making his RC debut, Dubuisson playing steadily too.

gw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next