The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing Book Reviews

+33
superflyweight
quentins_monkey
trottb
The genius of PBF
Sir. badgerhands
GerardMcL
d260005p
WelshDevilRob
alexd
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
Imperial Ghosty
Fists of Fury
JACKMAGIC
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
88Chris05
cmoyle
paperbag_puncher
captain carrantuohil
Eric Da Cat
Mind the windows Tino.
magicratbooks
huw
Michael Easton
BALTIMORA
slash912
azania
Scottrf
oxring
The Galveston Giant
TRUSSMAN66
HumanWindmill
Rowley
37 posters

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Boxing Book Reviews Empty Boxing Book Reviews

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 12:09 pm

Mentioned this on a thread the other day that it would be nice if posters who enjoyed reading about the sport could post reviews of books they have read be they positive or negative and hopefully we will be able to build up a decent library of reviews we can use to inform future purchases. As someone who buys a lot of books I will offer a couple to get the ball rolling and hopefully a few others can follow suit, here’s hoping it catches on.

Sam Langford – Boxing’s greatest uncrowned champion – Clay Moyle

Before reading Moyle’s book I’ll be honest my knowledge of Langford was limited. Often saw his name and achievements spoken of with hushed reverence on various websites but probably always harboured the suspicion he was one of those names people throw out to look cool and knowledgeable, like Harry Greb who we now all know did not actually exist. However on the back of reading this outstanding book about Sam I am absolutely convinced he deserves every bit of the esteem he is often afforded. For those unfamiliar with Sam’s story although he stood little more than 5ft 7 he fought anyone and everyone between the lightweight and heavy and his record reads as a who’s who of the era containing as it does names like Gans, Walcott, Ketchel and Johnson as long as multiple battles at heavy with guys like Jeannette, Wills and McVea, despite the fact all of these last few guys held significant size and weight advantages over him.

Moyle has done a truly outstanding job in telling Sam’s story. In my experience of reading a lot about the old timers one of the common pitfalls authors fall into is, through the sheer volume of fights these guys had is writing books that read as little more than lists. The great strength of this book is Moyle avoids the text becoming too dry by offering a flavour of Sam’s personality outside the ring and serving up some genuinely amusing anecdotes which serve to portray Sam as a genuinely likeable guy, which only serves to make his failure to secure the title shots his talent surely deserved all the more heartbreaking.

Moyle covers all the major fights and rivalries in Sam’s life such as Gans, Walcott and Ketchel in admirable detail and provides valuable background to these fights which gives the fights a context otherwise lacking from the raw results. Moyle also gives detailed coverage and analysis of Sam’s long running but ultimately futile attempts to secure a title shot with heavyweight champion Jack Johnson which, for me certainly provided me with a fresh perspective on why this fight failed to come off.

I really cannot recommend Clay’s book highly enough; it is superbly written, well illustrated and exhaustively researched. For anyone with an interest in old time fighters or just wanting to know more about one of the most remarkable fighters to ever step through the ropes Moyle’s book is nigh on essential.

The Life and Crimes of Don King – Jack Newfield

As one of the most colourful and larger than life characters to ever (dis)grace the sport of boxing it is almost impossible to not have an opinion on Don King. He has led a life that truly deserves the tagline that you could not make it up. Don started out as a numbers czar in his native Cleveland before killing a man who owed him money, a crime he was jailed for. On his release Don, through his friendship with musician Lloyd Price, gained an introduction to Muhammad Ali and within a matter of years he had risen from freshly released convict to the premier boxing promoter in the world.

Whilst Don’s rise to prominence was truly remarkable, some of the measures he took to achieve this rise were equally as remarkable and in telling the story of that rise Newfield does not shy away from showing Don’s not inconsiderable dark side it all its questionable glory. It is all here, his ripping off of Holmes, his rigged ABC tournament, his under the table deals with Apartheid era South Africa, his exploitation of Mike Tyson and his part in putting together some of the biggest matches in boxing history.

Despite all the gory details of Don’s less than ethical business practices Newfield balances this with being willing to give credit where it is due. He acknowledges that few, if any can out negotiate or out work Don and when one considers Don listened to the first Ali Frazier fight in prison and co-promoted the third you cannot help but agree that whatever his myriad faults Don is obviously a truly remarkable promoter, and it would be naive and not more than a little inaccurate to suggest that prior to King’s emergence boxing was free from corruption as quite clearly it wasn’t.

Overall for anyone with a history in the heavyweight division of the last 40 years or who has asked themselves the question “why do so many great fighters end up skint?” Newfield’s book should serve to offer up some answers. Don, perhaps inevitably does not come out of it smelling of roses but is still a fascinating portrait of a fascinating character.

Last edited by rowley on Wed 25 May 2011, 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Boxing Book Reviews Empty Re: Boxing Book Reviews

Post by HumanWindmill Wed 25 May 2011, 12:13 pm

Excellent stuff, jeff, and thanks very much for doing it. I'm sure many will benefit from a thread such as this. Will add in a few when I have a minute.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:16 pm

You've missed out on a career there Rowley...Well written reviews and I must say I'm going to buy the King book.....sounds real interesting..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 12:17 pm

I still hold out hopes of being discovered Truss, what a job that would be.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 May 2011, 12:19 pm

Nice one Rowley, i'm Poopie at trying to do things like that but will maybe give it a go soon.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:21 pm

Authors are like Painters Rowley...

Much loved after they are gone.....

See that rope at the end of your desk there........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 25 May 2011, 12:31 pm

Truss I am one more D4 Manny thread away from thinking it may not be too bad an option.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 12:41 pm

PETER HELLER : BAD INTENTIONS - The Mike Tyson story
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Always found Tyson a fascinating creature and this book takes us from his troubled upbringing in the Brooklyn projects, to his equally more troubled though more affluent days as Boxing's biggest figurehead and, leading to his ultimate downfall.

We see an easily-led kid with low esteem desperately looking for a father figure...pressing the self destruct button time after time.

The book focuses on his uneasy relationship with Jacobs and Cayton, the manipulations of Don King and the Ropers and even more to my liking goes behing the scenes at some of Tyson's biggest fights. Documenting how Berbick got the better of Don King by threatening to pull out of the HBO series and fight Cooney unless he got more money...

Basically the book concludes that although Tyson was his own worst enemy..dumping Cayton, Lott, Eward and others crucial to his equilibrium ..he was basically a pawn in a bigger game...

Fascinating insight into one of Boxing's most fascinating fighters/personalities.

Recommended 9/10.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 9:25 am

' I FOUGHT THEM ALL ' ( Tom Sharkey bio. )

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/BookReview-TomSharkey-GregLewis-MoiraSharkey.htm

' BOXING'S TOP TENS ' ( Steve Maguire )

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/BookReview-BoxingsTopTens-SteveMaguire.htm

' HITTERS, DANCERS AND RING TECHNICIANS ' ( Kelly Richard Nicholson )

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/BookReview-Hitters-KellyNicholson.htm

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/Hitters-ClayMoyle-Book-Review.htm

' THE FEARLESS HARRY GREB ' ( Bill Paxton )

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/BookReview-HarryGreb-BillPaxton.htm

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 9:31 am

How did I know the fearless Harry Greb would be on there..

However as with the above King book he does seem worth a read...

I'll endeavour to get a copy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 9:32 am

I slaved over mine Windy and you reciprocate by posting a few links. Guess trying to clean up people's ever more elaborate attempts to overcome the swearing filter has left you a little run down

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 9:32 am

Each of us has his little obsessions, Truss. Is there a book about Curry, yet ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 9:34 am

rowley wrote:I slaved over mine Windy and you reciprocate by posting a few links. Guess trying to clean up people's ever more elaborate attempts to overcome the swearing filter has left you a little run down

Yours was a hard act to follow, jeff. Besides, Messrs Callis and Moyle are better equipped to do the job than I. I promise that, in future, I will add some of my own.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 9:48 am

I agree Jeff does have a way with words...

Reminds me of your Oscar Wilde..

In more ways than one Wink

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 9:50 am

You mean my dazzling wit as well Truss, very kind of you to say so.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 26 May 2011, 11:35 am

CHARLEY BURLEY AND THE BLACK MURDERERS ROW. Harry Otty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simply put - this book is a must read. One of the more frustrating stories and careers about a great fighter and a great man who never fully received his dues or had his shot. One of the classiest fighters to ever lace up a pair, in and out of the ring, Harry Otty brilliantly tells his life story; from the frustrations of the freedom games in Spain, to the endless trouble with managers, to the disappointment of his tour of Europe without a fight.

Although an easy book to read and enjoy, it does lack a bit of focus upon the rest of the Black Murderers Row. Wade, Marshall etc appear in the story when Burley is due to fight them; and then they disappear again. To read about their stories - you'd need to find a different book.

However - for around £10 from Amazon - there is little to dislike about this book.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:38 am

The more I hear about Burley the more interesting he becomes......Could be worth shelling out some books for.....

certainly a great born at the wrong time.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 12:13 pm

Good review of the Burley book Ox, as you know I am a fan of both the book and the fighter. However would agree with your criticism the title is a little misleading, as Burley fights aside the info on the other members of the BMR is patchy at best. However does not detract too much from an outstanding book.

Truss cheers for the Tyson review, have been after a decent Tyson book for some time, as I only have the Jose Torres one which is pretty good but was written early in his career so has a lot missing.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 May 2011, 3:05 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:' I FOUGHT THEM ALL ' ( Tom Sharkey bio. )

http://cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/BookReview-TomSharkey-GregLewis-MoiraSharkey.htm

Does anyone know where i can purchase this book? Been looking for a while now but it doesn't ever seem to come back in stock.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 3:29 pm

The Galveston Giant wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:' I FOUGHT THEM ALL ' ( Tom Sharkey bio. )

Does anyone know where i can purchase this book? Been looking for a while now but it doesn't ever seem to come back in stock.

Have you tried here, Galveston ?

http://magicratbooks.wordpress.com/i-fought-them-all/

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 May 2011, 3:34 pm

I have Windy, all it says is 'Magic Rat is currently awaiting delivery of I FOUGHT THEM ALL a fantastic new boxing book telling the remarkable story of Irish-born Tom Sharkey.' That was posted on October 2010 i think and i can't find anywhere to purchase it on the site.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May 2011, 3:38 pm

Can't access them but try these links Galveston:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140478220098

http://tomsharkey.blogspot.com/p/buy-i-fought-them-all.html

If no luck, email magic.rat.books@googlemail.com

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 3:39 pm

I'm at a loss then, mate. Sorry. Perhaps you'd let us know if you do find it.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 3:40 pm

Galveston give me a couple of days, have email addresses for a couple of boxing authors will drop one or both of them a line and try and find out for you.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 3:50 pm

Why dont you just ask me. Y'all know I'm an authority on prehestoric pugilism. Very Happy

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 3:54 pm

azania wrote:Why dont you just ask me. Y'all know I'm an authority on prehestoric pugilism. Very Happy

We might, when you learn to read something more advanced than the label on a creatine bottle.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 May 2011, 3:55 pm

Windy; No problem mate thanks.

Scott; Will give the Ebay one a go when i get home mate, seen the blog one before but don't know if i should trust it or not, not clicked through to purchase it to see if it's in stock yet either.

Rowley; that would be appreciated mate thanks.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu 26 May 2011, 3:55 pm

HumanWindmill wrote:
azania wrote:Why dont you just ask me. Y'all know I'm an authority on prehestoric pugilism. Very Happy

We might, when you learn to read something more advanced than the label on a creatine bottle.

Nah. I'll need a degree in bio-chemistry to understand it.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by slash912 Fri 27 May 2011, 2:25 pm

Four Kings - George Kimball

Quite a well known book but, regardless, well worth a mention here.

Kimball deals in depth with Leonard, Hearns, Hagler and Duran, their rise through the sport and their dramatic battles with each other. The books strength is in Kimball's knowledge of the background and build up to each fight, enhanced obviously by his covering them as a sports journalist. It's also very well written and he captures the excitement of each fight as well as providing an insight into the character of the boxers themselves. Highly recommended, especially for those with a great interest in the four kings.

slash912

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 27 May 2011, 2:30 pm

Jeff, if you want them easy to access, copy these links into the opening post, just close the final brackets:

[url=https://www.606v2.com/t5564-boxing-book-reviews#123310]PETER HELLER : BAD INTENTIONS - The Mike Tyson story[/url

[url=https://www.606v2.com/t5564-boxing-book-reviews#125883]CHARLEY BURLEY AND THE BLACK MURDERERS ROW. Harry Otty[/url

[url=https://www.606v2.com/t5564-boxing-book-reviews#129046]Four Kings - George Kimball[/url

Not so important atm, but will be with more reviews.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Fri 27 May 2011, 3:07 pm

You mean prehistoric... randy OK

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Boxing Book Reviews Empty The Rise and Fall of Alexis Arguello - New Book

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:52 am

Morning Folks, just wanted to give you a heads up on the new book coming out shortly on the explosive thin man, to my knowledge there's hasn't been one already and sure it will appeal to many, cheers GG.

Description:
Boxing lost a true warrior and gentleman of the ring when the mayor of Managua, Nicaragua, Alexis Argüello, died in 2009. To millions in Nicaragua and around the world, Argüello was an iconic figure, a willing role model, and a shining light in a nation that places its sports figures on pedestals. Beloved Warrior explores the extraordinary rise, fall, and rebirth of this great fighter.

With a career that began in 1968 in Managua, Argüello overcame early losses, including a knockout in his debut. He went on to win three world titles, only relinquishing them by moving up in weight class. While boxing until 1995 and reaping luxury and fame, Argüello never forgot his people. Using his skills and power, el Flaco Explosivo (Explosive Thin Man) earned his lofty status as one of the most celebrated Latin American boxers to ever fight.

While his devotion to the sport cannot be challenged, questions about the man still remain. What happened to Alexis Argüello after he fought Aaron Pryor, whom many considered the greatest 140-pounder in history? How did Argüello rise from the streets of Managua to become one of the greatest fighters in the world? How was he affected by his time spent fighting against the Sandinistas in Nicaragua? And finally, what is the story behind his mysterious death less than eight months after he won Managua’s mayoral election?

Despite his notorious losses to Pryor at the end of his career, Argüello’s career as an unforgettable fighter live on in his fans’ memories. As Christian Giudice illustrates, Argüello’s status as a hero both in and out of the ring will forever remain intact.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beloved-Warrior-Rise-Alexis-Arguello/dp/1597977098/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I2HWIGSA7NBFOK&colid=1535PBZ82GDIU
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:55 am

This could be very interesting.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:56 am

Brilliant stuff, Galveston, and one of my favourite fighters.

Would like to merge this into the ' sticky ' book review thread, if that's okay with you.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:58 am

Should be good Scott, Windy no problem mate. thumbsup
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 02 Jun 2011, 9:58 am

Cheers, Galveston. Will do it now.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:00 am

HumanWindmill wrote:Brilliant stuff, Galveston, and one of my favourite fighters.

Would like to merge this into the ' sticky ' book review thread, if that's okay with you.

Works for me Windy, will be nice to see some more on there. May have to unleash my creative juices later today. No Ordinary Joe has gone far too long without the kicking it richly deserves.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:01 am

rowley wrote:
HumanWindmill wrote:Brilliant stuff, Galveston, and one of my favourite fighters.

Works for me Windy, will be nice to see some more on there. May have to unleash my creative juices later today. No Ordinary Joe has gone far too long without the kicking it richly deserves.

Look forward to that one, jeff ( the review, I mean. )

Merging now.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:02 am

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

laughing On that note Jeff let me see if i can find another pre-order i came across, you'll not believe it.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 10:43 am

No Ordinary Joe – Joe Calzaghe

As anyone who has spent more than a fleeting moment on boxing forums, particularly UK based ones in the last few years will know few fighters split opinion like Joe Calzaghe. On one hand we have an unbeaten world champion who deserves to be considered one of the finest fighters ever from these shores and a modern great. On the other we have a stay at home fighter fighting chaff happy to stay with a promoter who couldn’t or wouldn’t deliver the big fights milking his WBO title until it gave him a record his talent didn’t deserve. Whilst there are any number of people who’s opinion is somewhere in the middle ground the sheer volume and ferocity of the opinions at the two extremes has always led me to believe us middle grounders were somewhat in the minority.

With all this in mind my expectations were fairly high for No Ordinary Joe because his career does throw up some interesting questions, such as; Why did he take so long to unify the titles at supermiddle?, if he was unhappy with the level of opposition being served to him, why did he stay so long with Warren? Why did fights against Ottke, Jones Hopkins et al either not happen or happen far later than they should have? Why did he take so long to fight in the States? It seemed reasonable to assume that Joe was better placed than any to answer some if not all of these questions and his autobiography would be a good place to put his career and career choices in some sort of context and maybe be better placed to assess his overall standing.

However on reading No Ordinary Joe I would have to say anyone wanting the answers to these questions will come away crushingly disappointed. The insight Joe offers into these questions is at best negligible and at worst non-existent. As the book was written when Joe was still with Warren it may be a case that he could not rock the boat too greatly but if this is the case why write the book, because in the absence of insight or revelation the book is bland in the extreme and you will leave with finish it with amply as many questions as you started. It should be said that Joe is not the first fighter or sportsman to write a perfunctory biography but unfortunately in his case he does not appear to be a colourful enough character to make up for this lack of spice with humour or genuinely amusing anecdotes. He comes across as a fairly decent guy, but the bloke in my corner shop is a decent guy, does not mean I’d want to read his autobiography.

I once made a vow not to read any biography by a sportsman until they had ended their career and No Ordinary Joe is the perfect example of why I made such a decision. The real tragedy of the book is there is a genuinely terrific book to be written about Calzaghe, about his relationship with Warren and his views on the questions above, however if I have not made it abundantly clear thus far suffice it to say No Ordinary Joe is not that book and should be avoided at all costs.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:00 am

Now i've not read Ordinary Joe but have heard quite a lot. Not to be shown up by his son, the Don, Enzo's book is ready to hit the shelves soon, pre-order now to avoid disappointment. Now this book may actually be OK but i just thought it was funny after all the critisism Joe's book has got, enjoy.

Product Description;

The father and trainer of Britain's greatest ever boxer, Joe Calzaghe, talks candidly about his extraordinary life from the streets of Sardinia to the top of the world. He is the genius behind the genius. Enzo Calzaghe never fought in the ring, but he still turned his son Joe into one of the top ten boxers on the planet - a World Champion with a record of 46 unbeaten fights. Now Enzo tells the extraordinary behind-the-scenes story of his flamboyant career and the making of a fight legend. It's much more than a round-by-round tale of ropes and gloves, and grit and glory. For the first time Enzo opens the family album and discloses intimate details of his bruising upbringing in Sardinia, where the Mafia lurked on every corner and his father practised 'tough love'. He talks of fleeing Italy to hitch-hike and busk his way around Europe. He charts his improbable rise from slaving as a waiter cum-cook in a seaside restaurant to become backing guitarist for chart stars such as Edwin Starr and Bucks Fizz. And he reveals how a single announcement on a bare railway station platform changed his life forever. Enzo Calzaghe's autobiography - written with "Sunday Times" boxing correspondent Brian Doogan - will be one of the most talked about sports titles of 2009. Not only does it provide a unique insight into the father and son relationship that conquered boxing, but also shows how the heart and determination of one self-made man serves as an example for anyone who craves success and is prepared to overcome near-impossible odds to achieve it. 'I'm a life fighter,' he says. This book proves it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enzo-Calzaghe-Don/dp/1905080530/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307008442&sr=8-1
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:05 am

Cheers GG, looks like Christmas is sorted, can only hope it is not written in that impenetrable mixture of English, Welsh and Italian Enzo speaks in.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 02 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

Excellent review, jeff, and I particularly enjoyed the reference to your local shopkeeper. As to the book itself, it's one that I shall definitely be giving a miss.

Thanks for the tip about the other one, Galveston.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:27 pm

"On one hand we have an unbeaten world champion who deserves to be considered one of the finest fighters ever from these shores and a modern great. On the other we have a stay at home fighter fighting chaff happy to stay with a promoter who couldn’t or wouldn’t deliver the big fights milking his WBO title until it gave him a record his talent didn’t deserve."

As I understand, the publishing company were toying with the idea of putting that quote on the inside cover.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:34 pm

Wish I knew Dave, they could have had that one for free.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 02 Jun 2011, 12:36 pm

rowley wrote:Wish I knew Dave, they could have had that one for free.

They would never have accepted it. Going by your review, your foreword would be a damned sight better than the book.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 04 Jun 2011, 10:31 pm

"Fighting Was My Business"- Jimmy Wilde

Surprised that not many folks seem to know about this little gem.It's quite easily available ,plus there is a great site called Abebooks which is second to none in sourcing books.Give it a look-try the abebooks.co.uk rather than the American version.
Anyway, Wilde describes his background very appealingly for me although I am a self-confessed Cymru-phile.He went down the mines as was very much de rigeur in the Valleys.These guys would worked long shifts and then played sports afterwards, and Wilde was genuinely happy with his lot and aspired to be a boxer from an early age.He loved it and moved instinctively as a tiny five stone kid.He claimed to have hundreds of "booth" type fights-predictably he never admits to losing any of these!
His narrative is a lot more introspective and incisive than I expected from someone who self-depracatingly describes himself as uneducated.
The only hint that this is an autobiography from a different era, is that he speculates on racial tendancies of boxers, sadly there is the old cliche spouted that black boxers do not take a punch to the stomach well!
His account of his own career is both very,very modest and YET steely in his insistence that nobody really deserved to beat him.However this reviewer was inclined to believe him;he supplies other people to put forward their views on him and they sometimes seem unable to express how difficult he was to hit, how uncannily accurate his punches were and how powerful they were too.
The book ends sadly with a rundown of his disastrous financial investments. Jimmy Wilde's love for the sport clearly always persisted and
his urge to prove that he was the best, also my suspicion that he thought he underachieved , make this a poignant read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 06 Jun 2011, 9:08 am

Cheers for the link and review Andy, there is a link for an online shop in doncaster through there Andy that has some cracking stuff. Am not sure the missus will be quite so grateful though once the credit card takes a pounding

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm

Scottrf wrote:Can't access them but try these links Galveston:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140478220098

http://tomsharkey.blogspot.com/p/buy-i-fought-them-all.html

If no luck, email magic.rat.books@googlemail.com

Hi all, just let you know that i have succesfully purchased the Tom Sharkey book 'I fought them all', from the blogspot on the above link. Both links to purchase, and the email address, are directly linked to the authors, and each copy comes hand signed. The book was sent out right away and took about 5 days to arrive, i'm sure there is only going to be one run of these books so i would advise anyone interested to purchase soon. They have asked me to send them a copy/link when i write a review about the book on here, which i will do after finishing the book. Thanks GG.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 06 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

Delighted you found it, Galveston, and I very much look forward to your review. As you know, I'm an avid admirer of Jeffries, so any deeper insights into Sharkey will be extremely welcome.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 8 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next