The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now

5 posters

Go down

Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now Empty Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Sep 2014, 5:54 pm

Anyone else think this last Saturday?

Even when he was using his feet correctly this time, he still got caught with a few shots that we wouldn't have seen him get caught with even a year ago.

End of the third round being a perfect example, he was genuinely rocked by Maidana, now I personally think that Maidana came in with a good gameplan and executed his strategy quite well and had little moments of success, though was ultimately taken apart. I also scored it 9 - 3 to Floyd 117-111 Think I gave Maidana the 4th and 12th and another round somewhere I can't remember.

This isn't me saying he didn't put on a clinic, because I think you'd be VERY hard pressed to find a fighter to beat this current version of Maidana that impressively whilst not being a puncher of any real note, and having to do it all off the back foot at the age of 37, and also probably being a guy who could still fight at 140 and being that heavily outweighed on the night.

Now some people would maybe point to the Cotto fight and say that's where he started slipping, personally I don't think so, I thought Floyd just fought the wrong fight tactically against Cotto as I personally believed he would (Search for my article as to why Cotto gives Floyd a good fight) and Cotto executed a gameplan to decent effect. But this time, I feel like I saw real genuine signs of deterioration, maybe it simply is Maidana and I'm wrong, maybe it simply is the awkwardness that this Argentine brings to the table, but for me last night showed Floyd is finally ready for the taking for someone. The simple problem is there's only really 2 candidates I could see doing this, Khan and Thurman and even then I'm not sure that these two even executing the most effective of strategies and game plans QUITE have enough to dent him yet. But Floyd is 38 next fight, and I see the CAUTION sign over him now for the first time.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now Empty Re: Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now

Post by bellchees Fri 19 Sep 2014, 6:43 pm

Sorry but there is no way Floyd could make 140 any more. Just look at him at the weigh in's there is no chance he loses another 6lbs from his frame, combine that with the fact that he didn't or couldn't make 144lbs for the Marquez fight 5 years ago and it's clear he is a welterweight not a Light Welter in disguise. Personally I don't think Floyd has looked at his ridiculous best since Ortiz, he looked a bit off against Cotto, who we know has seen better days has not been as untouchable since. The way he out classed Alvarez while still not looking quite as good as usual for me shows just how damn good a boxer he is. The Maidana fights would be more like the Baldomir one if Floyd was 5 or 6 years younger. Agree that I view his fights with a caution now as well.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now Empty Re: Mayweather's Starting To Properly Slip Now

Post by All Time Great Fri 19 Sep 2014, 8:00 pm

Floyd's absoloute peak is of course, behind him now.

Having said that, even at 38, he is still somewhat ahead of most fighters in the 140/147lb divisions. One thing he's definatly shown is that he can take a decent shot.

Therefore, "slipping" isn't really the word I would use as I still don't think he's beatable. Only two guys that I think have any chance are Pacquiao and Khan, that's purely based on hand speed and accuracy as they would give anyone a decent fight.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Fri 19 Sep 2014, 8:03 pm

Floyd walks into the ring at 150lbs, Floyd doesn't cut his water weight like other fighters, he could make 140lbs if he needed to.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Fri 19 Sep 2014, 10:40 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:Floyd walks into the ring at 150lbs, Floyd doesn't cut his water weight like other fighters, he could make 140lbs if he needed to.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I just don't see a 38 year old cutting 7 extra pounds to make a weight he's not hit in nearly 10 years when he carries practically no body fat to get rid of.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat 20 Sep 2014, 7:21 am

bellchees wrote:
AlexHuckerby wrote:Floyd walks into the ring at 150lbs, Floyd doesn't cut his water weight like other fighters, he could make 140lbs if he needed to.

We'll have to agree to disagree on that, I just don't see a 38 year old cutting 7 extra pounds to make a weight he's not hit in nearly 10 years when he carries practically no body fat to get rid of.

Floyd could easily make 140lb, he only weighs in at around 147lb - 150lb on fight night.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:04 am

He can't make 140 at his age..The body matures....Look what happened to Oscar against Manny....

As for I'm slipping...I think it's great credit to him, Manny, JMM and reluctantly Hoppo that they can fight at such a good level at their ages regardless of supplementation....

Also shows Boxing isn't blessed with much talent that they still dominate the sport..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sat 20 Sep 2014, 8:14 am

It's difficult to accurately ascertain whether he was slipping, or Maidana just gives him problems. The second fight was a lot clearer, but Floyd didn't shift Marcos the whole night. In the first fight while trying to give fans a more entertaining fight, he shifted a lot more punishment than normal, while in the second fight, his own attack was blunter, while not completely neutralising Maidana as much as he thought he would. Gonna have to see Maidana vs other guys to see how much he has improved. the. you can throw guesstimates at how far Floyd has fallen
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down