The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Up, up and away

5 posters

Go down

Up, up and away Empty Up, up and away

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 am

NZ left a day later than scheduled but they have embarked on their remaining matches for the 2014 calendar year, which are all away. 7 tests in 9 weeks covering more than 58 000 km. La Plata, J'Burg, Brisbane, Chicago, Twickenham, Edinburgh and Cardiff. Ireland and France are potential quarter final opponents but all the other main players for the RWC are there.

Graham Henry came out and said a loss would be good before the RWC. Hansen responded saying he knew where Ted was coming from in a motivational sense but losing sucked the big kumara and is not a habit worth taking.

Argentina, SA, England, Australia, Wales would all dearly love a victory over NZ. As indeed would Scotland and USA. It would give them great confidence going into their respective RWC pools but probably none more so than the pool of death. In the end, a win over NZ won't count for much when those respective matches kick off. Each new match brings its own special circumstances but nevertheless knowing that you can beat the top-ranked team brings its own rewards of confidence and belief going into those matches.

If NZ lose one of these matches, they will equally not be greatly affected going into the RWC. They have a potential showdown against either Ireland or France after 4 relatively easy games and losing one of these away matches against neither of those two teams is going to change little about that match. Yet they have their standards and expect to win all these away matches. They haven't been that convincing in the Hansen era with the Autumn internationals in comparison to the Henry era. They have peaked in the RC matches and then seem to have taken a step back.

Many teams in recent times have come close to NZ. England, Ireland, Australia, SA, France have come very close. England in 2012 convincingly took NZ apart. Losses, draws or wins won't matter to those teams. Add in Wales and Argentina and they'll all give it a good crack. Yet if NZ lose one or more of these coming away matches, the whole rugby world will sit up and take notice not to mention great comfort from the fact. NZ intimidates some teams by its consistency. To beat NZ, you need to play at your best and for them to be below par. NZ were below par in the last November tour. They can take out Argentina and win the RC with a bonus point but they won't want to stop there. Meyer has yet to beat NZ and Hansen will want to keep it that way. But a RWC in England and the NH games this year take on a greater significance for some. It's a grueling challenge but many eyes will be on these matches and a drop in standards will be seized upon.

kia kaha

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Up, up and away Empty Re: Up, up and away

Post by Taylorman Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:27 am

Theres been a noticeable shift in the AB gameplan with the emergence of Aaron Smith's ability to get the ball out cleanly and quickly consistently. On the two real dry tracks so far- England 3rd test and Oz Eden park the amount of ball out wide in the open spaces was noticeable. At Eden park something like 14 times did the AB's get overlap conditions out wide.

But just as noticeable is the AB's inability to impose this same style when the grounds are either wet or soft. At Sydney we hardly got the ball and defended the whole match and at Wellington we ran everything at the bok's and they covered it well. Had the track been faster I don't think that would have been the case, the holes that much bigger to permeate through.

In saying that the NH slower tracks puts the current AB gameplan at risk. We need something different than just spinning it all day and need to bring in more from the like of Kaino, Read and McCaw, Retallick etc. We also need to to mix it up with tactical kicks but for me the biggest risk is continuing to play this ever increasing width when its just not going to get us through the crucial match- the quarter but mainly semi final. That's mainly where our World cups are won or lost, and where we need up to a plan C.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 am

Great points my fellow Kiwis. I think this is where DC is still a huge asset to have as his kicking game is a major asset in tight ones. What I was concerned about was that we didn't put many points on SA with the territory advantage we had. That can come back to haunt you.

Basically you need a bit of consistency to win a World Cup. But you don't need any consistency to knock the All Blacks out of it. That's why NZ have to really up the intensity from the first knockout game on. Argentina are a good side to encounter in the pools because their approach simulates that taken by most teams at the business end of the tournament.

Will be very interested in the new turf laid out at Cardiff. I'm going to the AB Wales game this year and hopefully it'll be a vast improvement. I read somewhere it is the same as that at Twickenham and Lansdowne Road which I found immaculate so that can only be good news. Then maybe Wales can boast having the best rugby stadium in the world.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:49 am

Take it one day at a time if anything the problem was to much kicking when using the
overlap created would have yielded results.The most important factor has been that
despite injuries,yellow cards they have continued to win.

The main problem is at 9,lock,and hooker IF either first choice locks,hooker or 9
is injured currently little depth.Romano back fully fit,a couple of backups for Coles
plus apparently Ellis next year with Gear,Kahui,and SBW back in the mix backs look
better.

Argentina is a must win don`t rush Whitelock back to early,Ben Smith at 12,Fekitoa
on the bench.Kaino to start.

Boks the strongest possible side on a dry track maybe a loss but a high scoring close
loss could be worth 2 bonus points.

Bledisloe strongest side plus DC to start if fit,experiment versus USA give 2 of back up
9`s game time.

AI`s SBW back maybe gametime too.Next year get people practicing drop goals and
back up goal kickers.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:55 am

I'd put money on DC starting in Chicago. Getting him back up to speed and putting possibly NZ's most marketable player on the field in the US makes sense.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:59 am

Crudens been left out!...geez...what an egg...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11329238

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Oops. Is Barrett good enough to make Cruden pay for this error in judgment. I reckon he might be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:29 pm

Well there's plusses and minuses still. For all we know Cruden could have got injured in those two matches (as could Barrett) but its good to see Barrett knowing a week ahead that he's going to be starting and he can prepare as such.

In the end it just serves to give our 10's more experience as starters, and Slade a free trip he didn't expect, so other than for Cruden personally its not all that bad.

Certainly a luxury position they find themselves in.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:57 pm

A good decision by management and actually works out well because I don't think Cruden was 100 per cent against SA and didn't deserve to start after that performance. A stupid thing to do nonetheless and hopefully he learns from the experience.

The young hooker Harris will also be testing the depth and I think who tours in November will largely depend on his performances away. If he does well, then Hansen might be tempted to take somebody else instead of Mealamu. If he doesn't do well then he might be tempted to have that experience to choose from. If that is the case then I hope the young lad does well as I'd like to see another hooker get some test experience.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:03 pm

Good for discipline and perhaps he wasn`t fully fit versus Boks but give them credit it was a
great and tough match.Slade actually starting isn`t a bad option and playing with the
Crusaders pack more or less in front of him.Best goalkicker of the 3 and was arguably
the best in S 15 this year.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:03 pm

I read Taylor's the one going. Either way it's a hell of a dash to La Plata considering they were already a day late.

Cruden's given a BIG chance to Barrett here. Everyone knows Barrett's the better impact sub but man to give him a chance to show he's better for the full 80-plus Cruden knew DC was out too. Not smart. Mind you you often aren't after a few sherbets.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:10 pm

Dc Taylor is back up to Barrett and Slade. Think Barrett will start Alan and Slade as goal kicking insurance like the Argentina test. I just hope Grant Fox hasn't been poisoning Barrett's mind. Who cares what it looks like so long as the end result is the right one.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:03 pm

Actually I did read Slade was on the plane somewhere-apologies. Went on the turps for the first time in a dog's age to train up for Munich this week and it's obviously killed a few cells.

Yeah I'd be sure of that option-Taylor won't be in good enough shape for Argentina. I think he may just fly to Africa from NZ and meet the squad in Joburg. Then ask his teammates for a lend of some kit after his luggage ends up flogged.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:41 pm

Natural selection dc. Those brain cells deserved to die because they weren't the fittest. Only the strong remain. Much like the AB squad so Cruds better play out of his skin in brizvegas to prove he belongs with the strongest.

Last edited by kiakahaaotearoa on Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Dead brain cells still active)

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:16 pm

I still rate DC as the first choice 10. Question when all three are available though-Cruden or Barrett on the bench?

Thanks Kia. I'll be like f**king Einstein in Munich then.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:30 pm

Dc rates dc. Shock story!

The numb nuts I am I phrased that wrong. Looks like my poker drinks had the opposite effect: the slow, inert cells held a revolution and came to the fore.

DC needs to prove he can play a string of matches together before he is given a starting berth. I agree his kicking game in particular is suited to NH conditions. Barrett is a super sub but if necessary can start games. How he goes in these 2 away tests will be interesting.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:52 pm

Tom Taylor is important in several aspects can cover 10,12,15 and is an accomplished goal kicker and a must for RWC squad as cover.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:52 am

I'm looking forward to seeing Crotty again at Ellis Park. Fekitoa will get his chance against Argentina as well but this kid has a lot to learn, notably when to pass or offload and when to put the head down and back yourself without the danger of getting isolated.

I used to see Crotty in a similar mould to Taylor. Solid, capable of doing a job and good insurance cover. His performance against Australia was much more than that: assured, accomplished and I need another a...ed adjective. Ellis Park against JDV struggling for some form: that's a further opportunity to shine. I expect Thrush to put in another convincing performance against Argentina as well before Whitelock's return. Want to see Cane get another run as well as he looks to be coming back well.

Luatua, TJ, Fekitoa and the front row have been a mixed bag. Some good and quite a bit of cack. Would also like to see Piutau return in November.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 am

Too right about Crotty. Was really pleasantly surprised and reassured about him after that Aussie game. Felt much the same after seeing Cane really step up in physicality after the Bok test in Auckland last year. Crotty will definitely go as SBW will be a straight swap for Nonu. He could even be the first choice 12. SBW and DC will play in Chicago I reckon.

Hansen may be forced to make a big call on Piutau-if he goes then I think Jane may be the one to miss out. He's still class but maybe he doesn't quite have that level of sheer brilliance any more. Having said that I'd love to have him in the WC squad as there are none better under the high ball.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:43 am

I think that's a prerequisite for the back three now, which frustrates me even more we didn't pressure Hendricks more with the high ball. If he plays at Ellis Park he should be pressured a lot more than the two times we did in Wellington. He was awful!

I think winger is a young man's game. I still think Jane is good at what he does but the one thing he lacks now is pace and really right wing is Ben Smith's if he's not at fullback but I think he should be, which leaves a glaring absence at 14. Our kicking game was pretty average and Dagg's long punts have their moment in the game but he needs to add more if he's to stay there at 15.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:53 am

Dagg hasn't been in great line breaking form for a while now but his aerial skills, huge boot and eye for an opportunity are still top drawer. Right now Dagg and Ben Smith are better than Dagg and Jane, or Ben Smith and Jane. Basically Ben Smith has to be on the field. I love that Dagg offers an alternative to Carter's left and the back three are all complete footballers. Savea's nous and patience have been a revelation for me. His skills suggest the Bus moniker is a tad unfair as he is much more than a one trick pony. An extremely unselfish winger which is ironic if you look at his try to test ratio.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 am

In terms of attack Savea is our biggest attacking weapon in the backs. Without him we don't look nearly as good like in the first England test. I agree about the balance of the back three. Ben Smith brings exactly that to wherever he pops up.

I think these away matches need to be treated separately. There are 3 dry matches pretty much assured coming up. NZ will be looking to attack with width in those games. Ideal situation: Wrap up the RC with the first match so as to play without added pressure in Jburg. That's shaping to be another classic but SA might not go out for all attack like last year. Oz will be gunning for revenge so it's important NZ treat that equally as a must win.

Then Chicago is a great opportunity to mix youth and experience. Chuck in the likes of Messam, Romano, Harris, Cane, Slade, SBW, Fekitoa, Piutau with some old hands sprinkled throughout the team and on the bench.

England needs to see the A team rock up. Try out some different tactics as the set piece looks solid and the scrum notably looks better. More rolling mauls and change up the Retallick offloads to props. Look to hold off less committing to rucks and choose moments to attack in pods depending on conditions and intensity of the opposition at the breakdown.

Scotland is a chance to rest some players and reward those in good form from the fringes. Then treat Wales as quarter final practice for next year.

Easier said than done but that's the challenge ahead.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:58 am

IF Dan Carter starts ITM and is fit he may well start 3Rd Bledisloe,Slade starting v USA
then mix and match in the AI`s.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:48 pm

kiakahaaotearoa wrote:Graham Henry came out and said a loss would be good before the RWC. Hansen responded saying he knew where Ted was coming from in a motivational sense but losing sucked the big kumara and is not a habit worth taking.
If the All Blacks get in the habit of losing to England, then it is good.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:20 pm

No, doc, that would be very bad. Go to the corner and take a deep, long think about what you've just said. Don't come back until we beat you in November. Hug

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum