The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh half backs for this season

+8
ScarletSpiderman
wayne
Seagultaf
The Saint
TJ
No9
bedfordwelsh
LordDowlais
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Welsh half backs for this season - Page 2 Empty Welsh half backs for this season

Post by Guest Mon 22 Sep 2014, 10:04 am

First topic message reminder :

Both Rhys Webb and Gareth Davies are placing their markers down early in the opening games, Webb at his sniping best, and Davies showing he still knows his way to the try line.

Who would you pick for the autumn internationals? I would drop Phillips entirely at this point, though he did have a good game against SA in the 2nd test. Rhodri Williams I dont believe has done enough to be included over the above 2.

Likewise at FlyHalf, Biggar is showing his consistency, but for me Rhys Patchell is the only shining light in the Blues backline, he's still a little raw, but he can control the game, has great pace and a big boot. Priestland is still the man who can take the ball to the line however, but I dont believe he is mentally strong enough for test rugby anymore.

Back to top Go down

Welsh half backs for this season - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh half backs for this season

Post by Higher_Ground Wed 01 Oct 2014, 6:21 pm

Why do we need a footballer in the back row? Because the last six years have taught me that trying to out muscle the SH doesn't work. NZ one to fifteen handle like backs, and it doesn't do them any harm. Tips isn't a show pony, he's a traditional 7 with added ability. That's all. He played last season with a shoulder injury, and now he can hopefully get back on top of his game.
Technically the man in possession of the 7 shirt is Turnbull if you want to be a pedant. The other problem is that I can't see Warburton getting through a month of rugby and being fit to start the November tests.
Gatland will pick the side though, we'll all support.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Welsh half backs for this season - Page 2 Empty Re: Welsh half backs for this season

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:11 pm

And yet another thread descends into bickering and insults.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:Why do we need a footballer in the back row? Because the last six years have taught me that trying to out muscle the SH doesn't work. NZ one to fifteen handle like backs, and it doesn't do them any harm. Tips isn't a show pony, he's a traditional 7 with added ability. That's all.  He played last season with a shoulder injury, and now he can hopefully get back on top of his game.
Technically the man in possession of the 7 shirt is Turnbull if you want to be a pedant. The other problem is that I can't see Warburton getting through a month of rugby and being fit to start the November tests.
Gatland will pick the side though, we'll all support.

Oh right, that's where we've been falling short against the best teams in the world. Simply put, we need footballers in the back-row! I alluded to forwards handling backs already, I said see the Scarlets. They aren't beating everyone exactly, so maybe it takes a lot more than footballers in the back-row. And I think anyone who's been watching Welsh players thus far can see Turnbull isn't in possession of the 7 jersey, it's up for grabs but and certainly isn't Tips' jersey.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:50 pm

Despite what people think of him or how the plays for the Blues Warburton is a different player when he plays for Wales and none who have played when he's been out have matched his performances.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:51 pm

Is he a good footballer though? We might him to drop a goal for Wales when we face the All Blacks...

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:53 pm

Well, I did pick a whole team to take them on, not just Tipuric, but yes, you seem to be understanding me, we need a ball playing link man at 7.
Telling me that the Scarlets aren't succeeding like that is not really an argument. The ospreys are playing with King/Tipuric, and seem to be doing just fine.
It certainly isn't Tips' jersey, but I thought that I would indulge in a bit of (what I thought was) harmless fun, and picked my team.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:56 pm

A drop goal like our last great ball playing 7 Martyn Williams?

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:Well, I did pick a whole team to take them on, not just Tipuric, but yes, you seem to be understanding me, we need a ball playing link man at 7.
Telling me that the Scarlets aren't succeeding like that is not really an argument. The ospreys are playing with King/Tipuric, and seem to be doing just fine.
It certainly isn't Tips' jersey, but I thought that I would indulge in a bit of (what I thought was) harmless fun, and picked my team.

When did I say otherwise though, I've merely been disputing Tipuric's apparent invincibility. Typical Ospreys fans... I've actually wanted Wales to play a faster game. I think with the emergence of Pitman/Baker in the back-row, we could have Warbs at 6 and Tips at 7 (provided their on form) and play at a higher intensity. The emergence of backs like G.Davies, Patchell also helps this philosophy too. I don't necessarily think it's vital we have a link man at 7, though it does help to have forwards who can pass a ball, etc...particularly at 8.
You seemed to be getting at the All Blacks are the best in the world because their forwards can play like backs. That's true, but they can also do their first and foremost jobs. Tips and Navidi are only good at the breakdown, they don't offer much go forward which is why they rely on a good combo, players like Lydiate at 6 for example. Warbs is adaptable so doesn't need that. Shingler is surplus to requirements IMO because he doesn't offer much in carrying ability or at the breakdown, he'd probably be a good sevens player though. The SH forwards are masters of the arts at the breakdown, but are also great defenders and ball carriers. Not to mention all the technical work in the scrums and lineouts. That's why they're better.

*EDIT - I don't think Lydiate is playing that well... Well, I haven't really watched Racing this year but him and Roberts aren't making the headlines are they. So I don't think he would feature in my team. Talaupe can play 6 though (I think).

Last edited by The Saint on Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:06 pm

A lot think Warburton is undroppable and I guess only Gatland knows that but for me he is in pole position but competition for places be it Tipuric, Navidi, Turnbull or whoever its what we need in all positions.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 02 Oct 2014, 11:28 am

We sure have a good pool to select from, all the regions have two or three back rowers definitely in the mix and playing well this season, plus Lydiate abroad.

That's great news

Re the halfbacks, Gareth Davies and Rhys Webb are playing well. Still have Rhodri Jones and Tom Habberfield to add to the pot soon...!

Bigger, Tovey, Priestland and Patchell looking good. Hook playing very well at Gloucester too and young Owen Williams made a huge impression on Leicester last season and will likely take the ten shirt again soon.

Some nice options...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 07 Oct 2014, 10:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:We sure have a good pool to select from, all the regions have two or three back rowers definitely in the mix and playing well this season, plus Lydiate abroad.

That's great news

Re the halfbacks, Gareth Davies and Rhys Webb are playing well. Still have Rhodri Jones and Tom Habberfield to add to the pot soon...!

Bigger, Tovey, Priestland and Patchell looking good. Hook playing very well at Gloucester too and young Owen Williams made a huge impression on Leicester last season and will likely take the ten shirt again soon.

Some nice options...

Scrum halfs are looking good but I think you mean Rhodri Williams, Rhodri Jones is a prop!

Ouside half, bit more of an issue, Biggar playing very well but tends to struggle if his forwards are not on top. Tovey probably out of the mix and Patchell (potentially the most talented IMO) playing second fiddle to Gareth Davies! Priestland is slowly building fitness following his injuries, Owen Williams has lost his place at Leicester and Hook is struggling (again) to hold down the 10 jersey at Gloucester. Could Anscombe be the answer, only time (and a few games for the Bluyes) will tell.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:48 am

Not a Hook fan but I thought he has started most games at 10 for Gloucester hasn't he? Toevy was awful on weekend
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:13 pm

Seagultaf wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:We sure have a good pool to select from, all the regions have two or three back rowers definitely in the mix and playing well this season, plus Lydiate abroad.

That's great news

Some nice options...

Scrum halfs are looking good but I think you mean Rhodri Williams, Rhodri Jones is a prop!

Ouside half, bit more of an issue, Biggar playing very well but tends to struggle if his forwards are not on top. Tovey probably out of the mix and Patchell (potentially the most talented IMO) playing second fiddle to Gareth Davies! Priestland is slowly building fitness following his injuries, Owen Williams has lost his place at Leicester and Hook is struggling (again) to hold down the 10 jersey at Gloucester. Could Anscombe be the answer, only time (and a few games for the Bluyes) will tell.

Just cos they keep picking him at prop doesn't mean he's not a great number nine mate...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

bedfordwelsh wrote:Not a Hook fan but I thought he has started most games at 10 for Gloucester hasn't he?  Toevy was awful on weekend

Yes Hook is number one at Gloucester. If it wasn't for injuries in the centre I think Tigers would return Owen Williams to choice number ten too.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:19 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
bedfordwelsh wrote:Not a Hook fan but I thought he has started most games at 10 for Gloucester hasn't he?  Toevy was awful on weekend

Yes Hook is number one at Gloucester. If it wasn't for injuries in the centre I think Tigers would return Owen Williams to choice number ten too.

Jury is still out Williams vs Burns. Hard to tell with Leicester being in such a mess but they were always likely to switch between the 2. As for Hook the reports seem to say that little changes. When he is playing well he is fantastic, but when he isnt.....

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:34 pm

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Jury is still out Williams vs Burns. Hard to tell with Leicester being in such a mess but they were always likely to switch between the 2. As for Hook the reports seem to say that little changes. When he is playing well he is fantastic, but when he isnt.....

Cockerill was raving about Williams earning the shirt last season and rightly so, Williams is a talented kid... Tigers are struggling for centres at the moment but Williams has centre experience enough to cover... Leaving Burns their only half decent option at ten.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:46 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Cockerill was raving about Williams earning the shirt last season and rightly so, Williams is a talented kid... Tigers are struggling for centres at the moment but Williams has centre experience enough to cover... Leaving Burns their only half decent option at ten.

Not arguing about Williams being quality, its just that Burns, despite an indifferent season last year, can be a great deal more than a half decent option. (5 caps, ENg debut in that game vs NZ, etc)

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:09 pm

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Not arguing about Williams being quality, its just that Burns, despite an indifferent season last year, can be a great deal more than a half decent option. (5 caps, ENg debut in that game vs NZ, etc)

Not sure many England fans rate Burns that highly? He receiving some scathing reports last season. Mind you many of them rate Owen Farrell???

Cockerill went out of his way to sign the kid after he outplayed Tigers at ten for Scarlets in the LV= two seasons ago. He held out flood last season with rave reviews in the premiership press.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:26 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Not sure many England fans rate Burns that highly? He receiving some scathing reports last season. Mind you many of them rate Owen Farrell???

Cockerill went out of his way to sign the kid after he outplayed Tigers at ten for Scarlets in the LV= two seasons ago. He held out flood last season with rave reviews in the premiership press.

Burns was playing for Gloucs last year not Leicester. He was unsettled and had a bad year. Form goes up and down but he is one of the top 4 English FH's vying for the top slot and was stating FH for England in the first test vs NZ over the summer. Before last year many people were calling for him to be first choice over Farrell too.

Both Burns and Williams have a ton of ability and potential. All I have said is that there is no clear order of preference between the two of them so far

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:29 pm

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Burns was playing for Gloucs last year not Leicester. He was unsettled and had a bad year. Form goes up and down but he is one of the top 4 English FH's vying for the top slot and was stating FH for England in the first test vs NZ over the summer. Before last year many people were calling for him to be first choice over Farrell too.

Both Burns and Williams have a ton of ability and potential. All I have said is that there is no clear order of preference between the two of them so far

Williams kept Flood out last season not burns mate

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

picard

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
lostinwales wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

picard

Burns did well in that first test though to be honest they ABs didn't really find their form till the third test so a poor comparison no matter the result.

Will have to see as you say... Burns is the incumbent it's hard to oust a player from the training paddock...!

On that note it will be interesting to see how Rhodri Williams and Habberfield take their chances this season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Tue 07 Oct 2014, 3:42 pm

Rhodri Williams is struggling to get on the Scarlets bench at the moment, and is behind Welsh international Gareth Davies, and another young player Aled Davies. IMO Rhodri does have potential, but so did Martin Roberts.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 07 Oct 2014, 6:45 pm

Owen Williams was tipped to go on the SA tour in the summer but got banned for being a very naughty boy lol.

He's young enough to learn from his mistakes so time will tell I would like to see him get some involvement during the AIs but for me the team for All Blacks game needs to pick from the players available to play against South Africa so that's him and Hook outa
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Tue 07 Oct 2014, 9:34 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Rhodri Williams is struggling to get on the Scarlets bench at the moment, and is behind Welsh international Gareth Davies, and another young player Aled Davies.  IMO Rhodri does have potential, but so did Martin Roberts.

Does Aled Davies have any? Because in all his years of playing for the Scarlets I haven't seen it.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

The Saint wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Rhodri Williams is struggling to get on the Scarlets bench at the moment, and is behind Welsh international Gareth Davies, and another young player Aled Davies.  IMO Rhodri does have potential, but so did Martin Roberts.

Does Aled Davies have any? Because in all his years of playing for the Scarlets I haven't seen it.

Ah is he your new Tav? Aled has improved he is nippy (same as Rhodri), and puts in a decent pass. Now hhe doesn't box kick wildly he isn't a bad option, regionally.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:01 am

Ill be honest, I've never been that impressed by Rhodri Williams, always thought Gareth Davies has more of an impact, I would actually be willing to play Davies on the wing if we needed cover, the lad knows his way to the try line.

Rhys Webb is #1 at the moment mainly due to his partnership with Biggar who is likely to start.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:11 am

IronMike wrote:Ill be honest, I've never been that impressed by Rhodri Williams, always thought Gareth Davies has more of an impact, I would actually be willing to play Davies on the wing if we needed cover, the lad knows his way to the try line.

Rhys Webb is #1 at the moment mainly due to his partnership with Biggar who is likely to start.

I think we could be looking like we did around '08 at fielding one partnership or another, Webb & Biggar or Davies & Preistland, and then making the subs at 60 (or whatever tactical time Gats choses, normal 60 mind) one partnership for the other.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:21 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
The Saint wrote:

Ah is he your new Tav?  Aled has improved he is nippy (same as Rhodri), and puts in a decent pass.  Now hhe doesn't box kick wildly he isn't a bad option, regionally.

He isn't that bad yet. Where is Tav now though? Oh yeah he's playing WP rugby, the only level I said he was capable of! Rhodri wasn't treated very well IMO, he was made to play for the Drovers for too long and couldn't get a look-in despite MOTM performances every week.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:32 pm

But saint didn't you used to say the same thing about Gareth Davies having to play second fiddle to Tav? And you'll prob say the same in a year or so about Connor Lloyd playing second fiddle to whoever...
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm

Well said SS

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:03 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:But saint didn't you used to say the same thing about Gareth Davies having to play second fiddle to Tav? And you'll prob say the same in a year or so about Connor Lloyd playing second fiddle to whoever...

Hang on... What exactly am I meant to have said about Davies? Because I've no idea what you're talking about, nor do I have any idea who Connor Lloyd is.

maestegmafia wrote:Well said SS

Folks, we have ourselves a coat-tailer!

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

Saint, maybe it was someone else, but thought it was you, used to champion a young Gareth Davies over Tav. And was pretty clear about their thoughts of Nigel Davies constantly selecting Knoyle over Davies. Sorry if I got the wrong bloke, I could have swore it was you. Connor Lloyd is an up and coming nippy scrum half (injured atm) and prob the next off the production line that will end up blocked by the current Scarlets incumbent, while offering a different style.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 08 Oct 2014, 7:33 pm

I always did champion Davies over Tav, and I was right all along as we can now see. As I said elsewhere G.Davies is potentially the best 9 to come out of Wales since Edwards. If Lloyd is as good as you say he deserves a chance. He probably is better than Aled Davies.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:31 pm

Yes he is playing 10 but not playing well. His coach went public after another poor performance in the London Welsh game, saying that he needs time playing 10 to develop his game. He has allways had all the skills but seems to lack the top 6 inches. Needs to be pretty spectacular for Glaws if he is to get into the Wales side.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:55 am

Seagultaf wrote:

Yes he is playing 10 but not playing well. His coach went public after another poor performance in the London Welsh game, saying that he needs time playing 10 to develop his game. He has allways had all the skills but seems to lack the top 6 inches. Needs to be pretty spectacular for Glaws if he is to get into the Wales side.

What with the Gloucester coach being a former ten I am sure he will understand Hooks predicament. New team etc... But thought Hook played well when Gloucester demolished the Tigers last weekend.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Oct 2014, 8:59 am

Seagultaf wrote:

What with the Gloucester coach being a former ten I am sure he will understand Hooks predicament. New team etc... But thought Hook played well when Gloucester demolished the Tigers last weekend.

I think that the article discussing Hooks form was more in relation to him missing a few kicks at goal, (kicking at goal being the main job of a fly half in an English rugby journalists mind). He has been getting Gloucester to score some good tries.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:46 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Seagultaf wrote:

I think that the article discussing Hooks form was more in relation to him missing a few kicks at goal, (kicking at goal being the main job of a fly half in an English rugby journalists mind). He has been getting Gloucester to score some good tries.

Whilst the report does mention goal kicking, it's core theme is questioning his ability to play at 10 (see below).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/29409518

Laidlaw has been first choice kicker for Glaws this season but as he was rested for London Welsh Hook took over. Frankly goal kicking has always been one of Hook's strengths and anyone can miss the odd one. Its his ability to concentrate and manage the game at 10 that has always been his problem, he has a tendency to zone out and drift through long portions of the game.

Against London Welsh Twelvetrees went to 10 and the game changed in Glaws favour, and with Robson playing well at 9 and Laidlaw an international at both 9 & 10 the pressure is on Hook again.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Thu 09 Oct 2014, 10:58 am

If Wales are to select a utility player.....then I'd pick Henson and leave Hook out of the game. One is getting positive reviews, the other isn't. Go figure.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

Henson is playing well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 09 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

Would like to see a Henson and Davies combo

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 09 Oct 2014, 4:30 pm

Yes could be good

He's still getting the injury issues at Bath, not started as many games as they need.

On great form

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2