The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree

4 posters

Go down

Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree Empty Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Fri 26 Sep 2014, 1:28 am

The difference between the amateur era and the professional era is beautifully illustrated by a noteworthy feat this weekend. Depending on where you are in the world, this weekend will see Richie McCaw equal Sir Colin Meads' record for representing NZ. Where is the comparison between the two eras?

When you delve a little deeper into the statistics you'll see that the careers are fairly similar. Richie made his debut against Ireland in 2001 and Meads played between 1957 and 1971. But herein lies the difference: the number of test caps professional players receive. McCaw only has one performance for NZ that wasn't capped: the Barbarians match in 2009. Going into the Argentina game, he has 131 test caps for a winning return of 88.6 % (116 wins, 13 unlucky for some losses and two draws). On average, NZ now tend to play between 12 and 14 tests per year. That was not the case in the amateur era particularly before the boom of air travel. Tours happened much less frequently. This is represented by Meads' paltry 55 test caps for New Zealand.

So how come Meads has so many games for New Zealand? On top of those test caps, NZ would also play provincial and club sides. It was not uncommon for NZ to go on tour and play 36 games. Imagine that today in the professional era with the Autumn Internationals. NZ play USA, England, Scotland and Wales so if you had a club side, you'd stand a very good chance of seeing your team face up to the All Blacks!

It is a phenomenal record for both players. When you consider Meads was preceded by Brian Lochore and succeeded by Ian Kirkpatrick you realise how good you had to be to reach longevity in the amateur era. Whoever takes over from McCaw (most likely to be Kieran Read) will have problems laying down a legacy that compares favourably to McCaw's and that of Umaga before him. Some things never change but others do dramatically.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree Empty Re: Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 26 Sep 2014, 5:40 am

What I find most staggering about these two players is there longevity and ability to perform at the highest level for so long - 14 years for Meads and 13 fo McCaw.

They just about make getting picked as an All Black look like nothing more then procedure.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree Empty Re: Richie McCaw Reaches the Canopy of the Pine Tree

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri 26 Sep 2014, 7:02 am

And as Shag says about McCaw.

"He's worthy of being the man who plays the most games for the All blacks".

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11331535

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by rainbow-warrior Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:32 am

I was with Pinetrees the day before the International at Napier. There is a sportsbar in the Bluewater Hotel in Ahuriri across the way from where I now live. Think I always said here it was my greatest ambition in life to meet him. It was odd as Hawkes Bay were playing up in Whangarei and Northland beat them in the 81st minute and I shouted out loud in a pub full of Bay fans!! Mind you I did have my Taniwha shirt on too lol. Anyway I hear this voice saying 'you are happy young man' (I am 56!)....it was the man himself. I was struck dumb when I saw who it was but I shouted him a beer and we talked with his friends for an hour or so. What a great man and bloody massive for a 76 year old, I mean massive. I got a 'selfie' taken as you do these days and he told me that he would be back in the bar after the game on Saturday, he was and we had another few drinks. If I never meet another All Black I don't care, I have met my NZ hero and it was a bloody pleasure.

I work with Izzy Dagg's mother and will be meeting him soon at get together's, a funny guy I am led to believe but a long way to go to compare with Sir Colin.

rainbow-warrior
rainbow-warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 27 Sep 2014, 12:39 am

I think people will be having that similar feeling of awe in 30 or 40 years when they meet Richie McCaw. It's always different when they're still playing. I've met Zinny and Fitzpatrick when they were still playing and although they were NZ legends, I wasn't awestruck because of that provincial rivalry. I look back on it now and was glad I wasn't a gushing, miserable wreck. These Jaffas have to no we're not so scared of them. Very Happy

Time always irons out those animosities towards players. Their achievements speak for them rather than their reputations.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 27 Sep 2014, 11:29 am

Colin Meads and Kel Tremain were leading test match holders in there day of course
there were far fewer tests.Sir Colin was the leading player of his generation like Tremain
there friendship legend.Sir Colin perhaps should have retired 1968 instead of having his
last days diminished with defeats.

Both of these players were automatic choices when fit and both were only dropped once
second test versus Australia .Brother Stan was picked instead.A reluctant Captain 1971
Sir Colin ,then Coached the Cavaliers in Sa before going on to manage a RWC team.
Kel Tremain surprisingly dropped versus Wales 1969 went on to Captain Hawkes Bay
on a record breaking Ranfurly shield run.

Ritchie McCaw will equal his OVERALL games record but for injuries he would have passed
it some time ago.Nearly all his games have been as a starter and most he`s played the
full 80 plus minutes despite carrying injuries in most of them already turned down a
Knighthood another All Black Legend.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sat 27 Sep 2014, 2:46 pm

In fairness Alan, Meads played with some injuries as well, remember the broken arm against South Africa?

I do note though that young McCaw has to catch up to Colin in the try scoring stakes, and Colin wasnt some open side flanker lurking out with the backs.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:24 pm

The image I have of Meads is the one with him running the ball in one hand and the ball is made to look like a pine cone. Below is a write-up on him and all the matches in which he was involved.

http://stats.allblacks.com/asp/Profile.asp?ABID=601

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Sat 27 Sep 2014, 7:38 pm

Nice article on McCaw showing what drives him: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10552893/Richie-McCaw-still-a-team-man-to-the-core

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down