The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aviva Premiership Round Five

+25
nathan
SirBurger
DaveM
BigTrevsbigmac
Rugby Fan
Cumbrian
HongKongCherry
Dubbelyew L Overate
TJ
bluestonevedder
HammerofThunor
Hound of Harrow
TightHEAD
stnick88
Heaf
Bathite
sad_gimp
Sgt_Pooly
Bathman_in_London
LondonTiger
Welly
beshocked
Geordie
yappysnap
Ozzy3213
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Five Empty Aviva Premiership Round Five

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 7:46 am

Four rounds gone, and there has been no let up in the entertainment served up in the Aviva Premiership this season.  Round four began at the Kassam Stadium on Friday night, where London Welsh were in the game for an hour before capitulating and giving up another big score to a Gloucester side who barely got out of second gear.  Saturday afternoon saw three games, with Saints vs. Bath being the TV pick.  The champions showed why they are the champions in this one, dominating the early part of the game against a Bath side buoyed by the result the week before, and by the time Bath got into the game, it was a little too late and a losing bonus point was all they could muster.  Slightly earlier in the day, Saracens marked their first game of the season at Allianz Park with a try bonus point win over Sale, and London Irish backed up a good performance last week against Saracens by beating a beleagured Tigers team at Welford Road for just the second time in the last 91 years.  On Sunday, Exeter Chiefs maintained their good start to the season, living off of numerous errors from and out of form Quins side to pick up a comfortable win at home, and Wasps bagged a try bonus point against a Falcons side who showed plenty of endeavour, but lacked in the execution department.

Prediction wise, it was a bumper week for me, with 6 from 6, which meant my acca with the man at Corals came in, and I picked up a couple of yellow caps in the SuperBru leagues.  So here's the table after round 4:-

POS TEAM P   DIFF TF TA TBP LBP PTS 
Aviva Premiership Round Five 111.Saracens  4  4   0   0   149 79  +7014  10  2018
Aviva Premiership Round Five 9
2.Northampton Saints 430113560+751763116
Aviva Premiership Round Five 1
3.Bath Rugby430115177+7417102115
Aviva Premiership Round Five 48
4.Exeter Chiefs430113359+741361114
Aviva Premiership Round Five 6
5.Wasps420210694+121291211
Aviva Premiership Round Five 5
6.London Irish42028993-4791211
Aviva Premiership Round Five 2
7.Gloucester4202108115-712141110
Aviva Premiership Round Five 4
8.Leicester Tigers420279104-257101110
Aviva Premiership Round Five 7
9.Harlequins420259113-5459008
Aviva Premiership Round Five 12
10.Sale Sharks4103112111+11510217
Aviva Premiership Round Five 8
11.Newcastle Falcons400463126-63814011
Aviva Premiership Round Five 50
12.London Welsh400444197-153626101
So, on to this weeks fixtures, and here they are;-

Friday 3rd October 2014   19:45   Bath Rugby vs. Saracens

What should be the game of the round is first up this week, and it's likely to prove to be a fiesty affair.  Going by last seasons meetings between these two sides there is clearly no love lost and I'll be amazed if there aren't a few cards in this one.  If there are, those 10 minute periods where one team is not at full strength could be crucial, and it will be the most clinical of the two sides who will win.  Saracens will want to protect their unbeaten record, but Bath, having lost to Saints will have a point to prove and are at home.  This is a massive test for them, and will tell us a lot about whether they are genuine title contenders or not.  I think they'll pass the test, and pick up a narrow win, with Saracens bagging a losing bonus point.

Saturday 4th October 2014   15:00   Harlequins vs. London Welsh

Quins are desperate for a cohesive performance, to give them something to build on, and Welsh are just desperate for anything they can get from games right now.  It's no good Justin Burnell whinging about referees and level playing fields, he needs to sort out that defence, which has been quite frankly appalling and barely Championship standard so far this season.  His team will need to show real heart and desire against a Quins side who will undoubtedly be targeting 5 points here.  I just can't see it to be honest, and thing Quins will cruise to victory in this one and leave Welsh rooted firmly to the bottom of the table.

Saturday 4th October 2014   15:00   London Irish vs. Northampton Saints

As ever with my own team I don't know who to call this one.  Heart as always says 'we got this' but the head says Saints are the strongest side in the league and this one could well be a struggle.  Having lost away at Wasps, Saints will not want a second slip up in the opening block of games, and will be very focused going in to this one.  Irish will be confident having taken 6 points from the last two games against Sarries and Tigers.  Tactics will have to be spot on for Irish, as the game plans deployed against their two previous employments will not get the job done against Saints.  Almost as an emotional insurance I am going to tip Saints here, with us getting a losing bonus point, but on SuperBru and in my acca, I have to back my team.

Saturday 4th October 2014   15:15   Gloucester vs. Leicester Tigers

I heard someone say yesterday that Kingsholm is the last place Tigers will want to be going at the moment, but I actually think the opposite.  Yes it's an intimidating atmosphere and tough place to go, but actually in their current plight, other than running in tries for fun against Welsh, a tough one like this is just what they need.  They will have to front up, and for all that Gloucester have improved on last season, they have been a little hit and miss so far, and are work in progress rather than the finished article.  James Hook will need to improve on Fridays performance, and if he does they have a sparkling back line that can hurt  Leicester, but the Tigers back line is none to shabby either, and there pack has enough in it to compete.  It's a tough call, but I can't see Tigers losing 3 on the bounce, and I think they'll nick this one on the road.

Sunday 5th October 2014   14:00   Sale Sharks vs. London Wasps

Sale haven't played terribly this season, but results haven't gone their way.  Wasps have looked decent both in victory and defeat, and will have genuine ambitions to finish in the top 6, if not the top 4.  The breakdown will be the key here.  Wasps back row have been excellent, and given quick ball to Simpson and Goode and with the pace they have outside of them they will hurt teams.  Sale have to slow this down and make this a dog fight, as they don't have the firepower to win a shootout.  Steve Diamond is no fool though, and he will know exactly how he wants his team to play.  Wasps are probably favourites, but I'm going with Sale to dig this one out at home, Wasps to get the losing bonus point.

Sunday 5th October 2014   15:00   Newcastle Falcons vs. Exeter Chiefs

Exeter are my surprise package this season.  I genuinely thought their recruitment hadn't be great and they would be in that 7th to 10th group in the final shake up.  So far, new boy Thomas Waldrom, and academy graduates Sam Hill and Henry Slade are putting in performances that mean their sights will be set a whole lot higher than that.  Falcons are struggling.  In some ways, it's difficult to see why, as there is definitely some talent there.  They are very difficult to predict on this early in the week, as nobody has any clue what side Dean Richards will send out, and this has to be part of the issue.  I think it's 20 games without a win now, and they know they need to break that sequence soon if they are to put some distance between them and Welsh.  On paper, this is a Chiefs win, but I just have a feeling that Falcons might up it for this one and cause an upset.  There, I've said it, Falcons win, losing bonus point for the Chiefs!

Ozzy's redicted table after round 5:

Northampton Saints 20, Bath Rugby 19, Saracens 19, Exeter Chiefs 15, Leicester Tigers 14, Harlequins 13, Wasps 12, London Irish 12, Sale Sharks 11, Gloucester 11, Newcastle Falcons 5, London Welsh 1.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Aviva Premiership Round Five Empty Re: Aviva Premiership Round Five

Post by yappysnap Tue 30 Sep 2014, 8:21 am

Good preview, I agree with all of that except the falcons score!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:15 am

OZZY!!!!!! Shocked Erm Are you pi$$ed??

RedWine

Unfortunately i see nothing other than another kicking. Teams are gunning for us now as they know they can get the full allocation of points.

The is a few Falcons fans vocally beginning to question Mr Richards and his fellow coaching team. He's had more time than most coaches would have had and we really dont seem to be seeing a huge amount of progress.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:28 am

I hear ya GF, and you know I am in agreement about Deano, and have been saying so since the start of last season.  BUT, you have the makings of a decent side, who will at some point put in a performance in spite of the inabilities of your coaching set up. 

Why not this weekend?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:40 am

geordiefalcon have to agree with you.

My predictions are completely different.

Saracens to beat Bath - just like Quins,Bath have struggled against Globogym. I expect Saracens to raise their intensity and performance to meet the occasion. Saracens have shown this season already when they want to score tries they can. Bath looked good vs an out of sorts Leicester and fought back well vs Saints but they'll need to find more inner belief to win.

Saracens have won the last 10 in a row vs Bath in the AP ( I think).

Quins to cruise to victory - bonus point win with a bit of confidence back for Quins -expecting Yarde to at last get on the board against the weakest team in the league with a brace of tries.

Saints to win but LI to get within 7 with a try in the closing stages.

Gloucester to pile more misery on Leicester with a narrow win - I expect this to be an erratic affair- Gloucester to be down 10 points at half time but come fighting in the 2nd and winning.

Wasps to go up to Sale and pick up the 4 points in a tight and nervy affair - Varndell to get the winning score.

Exeter - bonus point win vs Newcastle with Slade and Waldrom picking up tries - with the Slade bandwagon continuing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:08 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:I hear ya GF, and you know I am in agreement about Deano, and have been saying so since the start of last season.  BUT, you have the makings of a decent side, who will at some point put in a performance in spite of the inabilities of your coaching set up. 

Why not this weekend?

Well it would be nice to see...20 defeats on the trot is not good reading...21 just becomes outrageous.

We shall see, but im not holding my breath.

And i echo many of the fans, yes we're building for the future and its a slow process...but we want some victories NOW!! Otherwise we'll be rebuilding back in the championship and the normal exodus of starlets like Scot Wilson, Keiron Brookes, Simon Hammersley, Zac Kibirige, George McGuigan etc will resume.

We need some results and points.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:09 am

Exeter - bonus point win vs Newcastle with Slade and Waldrom picking up tries - with the Slade bandwagon continuing

When did we leave the Devoto bandwagon? Im so confused now... Headscratch

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:12 am

Can't be a Devoto bandwagon when he's not playing.

Will Greenwood is talking up Slade as the saviour in the centres. To be fair to Slade he's looking good so far but I am worried he's getting hyped up too much.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:17 am

He looks a talent, as he did when he played at 10 for England against the Barbarians.  This world cup will be too soon for him to take the 10 jersey, but I can see him usurping Farrell, Ford and Burns in the race for that shirt for 2019.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:46 am

Goode looked brilliant at 15 then floundered at 10, I know it's not that similar but I expect Slade to have a big form drop and then we'll see what he's made of

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Tue 30 Sep 2014, 10:51 am

I don't see the similarities yappy.  Goode came into the senior side at 15 to gain experience before being moved to 10.  It never worked and he's now a settled 15 who can cover 10 if needed.

Slade came into the senior side at Exeter at 10, has played all his international (age grade, Saxons and senior) rugby at 10, and is currently covering the centres as the Chiefs started the season with a few injuries.  His spell there will do him good, but I don't think when he moves back to 10 he will suffer a drop in form as a result.

I'm sure their will be drops in form, as there always are with young players, but I don't think moving back to 10 will be the reason for it.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:02 am

True true.

I wouldn't mind seeing him get a go for the England A team next year. If those games do still happen?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:14 am

Glaws to win by 5 currently.

but if injured players return I may change my view.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:23 am

Full back battle is hotting up nicely with Brown being battered, Foden looked really sharp vs Bath, Goode has yet again been a strong figure in the AP (if only he could have as much effect in attack for England as he does at club level.

Favourite for the 12 shirt is probably Eastmond at the moment.

What is everyone's thoughts on an Eastmond-Burrell partnership?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:29 am

So it seems Afoa is currently the 3rd highest earner in Europe.

According to NZ press.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:32 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:I don't see the similarities yappy.  Goode came into the senior side at 15 to gain experience before being moved to 10.  It never worked and he's now a settled 15 who can cover 10 if needed.

Slade came into the senior side at Exeter at 10, has played all his international (age grade, Saxons and senior) rugby at 10, and is currently covering the centres as the Chiefs started the season with a few injuries.  His spell there will do him good, but I don't think when he moves back to 10 he will suffer a drop in form as a result.

I'm sure their will be drops in form, as there always are with young players, but I don't think moving back to 10 will be the reason for it.

I thought that Slade was moved to the centres las season (initially 12 as hill was injured) because his goal kicking was failing rather miserably and thus a place had to be found for Steenson.

I am not sure he will ever be a top notch 10, as when I saw him there for Chiefs and the U20s he seemed to always look as if he had not quite enough time. He reminds me of Geraghty, Barkley, Twelvetrees - players who lokk like they should be great 10s - when they are playing at 12. I hope he can become a great 12 going forward - but fear he will be messed around.

As to the games:

Bath should be able to beat Sarries at home - but I have a feeling that unless they pull clear they may well panic a little which will play into the Sarries defence. So Bath to dominate possession but Sarries to win.

Quins to throw the ball around willy nilly, Welsh to maybe pick up an interception try and keep things close for 50 minutes. Quins to pull away for an easy win.

Based solely on round 4 you have to expect London irish to struggle up front against a strong Saints pack - even one that will be missing Corbs, Lawes and Wood. However should Geraghty again play well, and their back row again come to the party, we can expect gaps in the Saints midfield to be exploited. Short should be replaced by a fit again Ojo and Irish could well sneak this one.

Two heavily disorganised sides meet at Kingsholm. Without Allen the tigers backs from 10 out have looked disjointed and off the pace in attack and defence. The pace of Glaws could exploit this. but you expect this to be a game won up front. Tigers surprised me by getting the edge over LI in the setpiece - should this occur again, and should Allen and Tuilagi be back we may sneak a win. will not hold my breath.

Sale to win at home to Wasps with relative ease, Chiefs to stuff Falcons.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:46 am

the rumoured injuries back are according to cockers on RL after LI:

Rizzo, Mulipola, Bai.

thorn and Manu are possibilities.

Would assume if that was the case with the first 3 then a team of:

1) Bristow, 2) Ghilrandi, 3) Mulipola
 4) De cheves, 5) Kitchener
 6) Gibson, 7) Salvi, 8) Crane/Barbieri
 9) Youngs, 10) Williams
 12) Bai, 13) Goneva
 11) Scully, 14) Benjamin, 15) Tait

16) Briggs, 17) Rizzo, 18) Balmain, 19) Barbieri/Crane, 20) Pearce
 21) Mele, 22) Burns, 23) Smith/Pohe

But if Manu and Thorn are back I would go with. 

1) Bristow, 2) Ghilrandi, 3) Mulipola
 4) De cheves, 5) Kitchener
 6) Gibson, 7) Salvi, 8) Crane/Barbieri
 9) Youngs, 10) Williams
 12) Bai, 13) Manu
 11) Goneva, 14) Benjamin, 15) Scully

16) Briggs, 17) Rizzo, 18) Balmain, 19) Thorn, 20) Crane/Barbieri/Pearce
 21) Mele, 22) Burns, 23) Tait.

But who knows what will happen.

Either way we need to target the lineout and hibbard, Kitchener + Gibson + cheves should do that even without Croft.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 30 Sep 2014, 11:50 am

I think sadly Bath will end up with the LBP, I think missing Garvey, Fearns and Louw in the backrow will be too large a void to fill. I hope that we come out to play some decent rugby, at times against Northampton we were playing the %'s too much, like a classic away side I guess.

Northampton I think looked very good against Bath and with Wood and Lawes to come back I think they will have too much for Irish. I think the Geraghty show will get them a LBP.

Quins have the perfect game in many ways, a chance to get a win and a bit of confidence too. I'm predicting they come back to their top form at about the time they play Bath...!

Gloucester will continue Leicester's misery I think, a LBP for them.

Wasps have looked good this season, but 10 has looked a bit weak, Sale have looked pretty average but their 10 has looked good... I think Wasps will win this one, LBP for Sale.

Exeter will win up in Newcastle I think, possibly with a TBP, from what I've seen of the Falcons they have been pretty dire.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:09 pm

Exeter weren't great last time out at our place but their tactical kicking was fantastic and it got them the win.

If we can turn up like we did for the Wasps game and engage brains in the opposition half we have a chance.

10 & LH continue to worry me and will continue to hold us back until something is done by Richards (either sign some players or improve Rodgers/Fry & Clegg/Socino asap)

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:28 pm

Thorn Should make his first appearance for Tigers this weekend with Rizzo.

Also Bai and Mulipola should be back

Sounds like it is a go.

Source was a Mercury article.

Our chance have gone up IMO.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:13 am

Thorn should make a real difference for Tigers.  Experience and leadership has been missing in the past two games and he will bring those things in spades.  

Would it be Williams at 10 and Bai at 12 Welly?  I thought Burns decision making looked poor at the weekend.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:19 am

I was just looking at the table and specifically the tries column.  I know it's a bit skewed as the 4 teams whop have played Welsh have probably scored more tries than they otherwise would have, but I found it interesting that only Welsh and Quins have scored less tries than us (Irish), but by the same token only Saints and Chiefs have conceded fewer.

It's a fair while since the stats would last suggest that we were stronger defensively than offensively.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:57 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Thorn should make a real difference for Tigers.  Experience and leadership has been missing in the past two games and he will bring those things in spades.  

Would it be Williams at 10 and Bai at 12 Welly?  I thought Burns decision making looked poor at the weekend.

That's what I would go for.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:05 am

It pleases me that Saracens are competitive in the try count despite playing neither Newcastle or London Welsh - consistently scoring 3 or 4 tries irrelevant who the opposition has been.

Quins will not stay on bottom of the try count once they play London Welsh!

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:07 am

My only hope for this weekend is that we can use Welsh as practice and get passes to hand/not cough up the ball in a match situation without being under much pressure.

If we struggle against Welsh I really do give up hope for this season, we need a BP win.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:02 am

When is the EPS announced?  Is it likely to have any bearing on team selections for this and next week?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

beshocked wrote:It pleases me that Saracens are competitive in the try count despite playing neither Newcastle or London Welsh - consistently scoring 3 or 4 tries irrelevant who the opposition has been.

Quins will not stay on bottom of the try count once they play London Welsh!

Just for that comment i hope we shut you out tryless.....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:18 am

Sorry geordie it's just at the moment you are not doing particularly well. You haven't won a match in a long time.

It's just a reality that the two weakest sides at the moment in the AP are Newcastle and London Welsh.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

Oh im not arguing that point...ive openly aired my frustrations...but still that comment...bring it on boxing Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:28 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:When is the EPS announced?  Is it likely to have any bearing on team selections for this and next week?

I think I read it was after this batch of AP games? I may be wrong but it certainly won't disrupt this weekend.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Well the EPS or other countries wont affect us much only Brookes and Lawson (Scotland) really in the international picture.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 2:33 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Based solely on round 4 you have to expect London irish to struggle up front against a strong Saints pack - even one that will be missing Corbs, Lawes and Wood. However should Geraghty again play well, and their back row again come to the party, we can expect gaps in the Saints midfield to be exploited. Short should be replaced by a fit again Ojo and Irish could well sneak this one.

Only just picked up on this. Topsy hasn't been injured, he got benched for the Falcons game after having a bit of a mare at Twickenham, then missed out altogether against Saracens as we went for a 6-2 split on the bench. Was back on the bench against Tigers. I don't expect him to start this game, as the back three have all done pretty well in the last 3 games. Short needs a try, just for a little confidence boost. He's come close against Falcons and had the one ruled out against Tigers, so needs to get himself off the mark. He's done well defensively though and has pace to burn so is always a threat.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 01 Oct 2014, 6:01 pm

Ah, I based that on the Irish fans over the aisle who were happy to see him come on saying he had been injured.

I felt that Short looked like a winger with zero confidence. Pretty much every time he got the ball he did a series of stuttery side-steps before running into the closest player. I just felt his contribution in attack was negligible.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 6:26 pm

Confidence may be an issue with Short.  He lost his place at Saracens and went on loan to Wasps, where I suspect he was behind Varndell and Wade.  I hope Smithy sticks with him as if he can bag a couple of tries and get some confidence I reckon he could be pretty decent for us.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 01 Oct 2014, 6:54 pm

I don't think Short is good enough for the AP, Ojo is a much better option.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

I'd say his Premiership winners medal would suggest otherwise. I guess we'll find out as the season goes on, but I would think if you asked most London Irish fans right now they'd tell you that they're happy with him in the side.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:03 pm

A premiership winners medal means nothing. I've seen him in the Championship and the AP over a number of games and he's extremely average (poor for AP standards).

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 01 Oct 2014, 8:13 pm

If I remember correctly Short got very good reviews when he first broke into the Sarries team, it was when they turned to anti-rugby and the human centipede that he struggled, that and fighting international class wingers and what was then a club stalwart in Wyles.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:00 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:A premiership winners medal means nothing. I've seen him in the Championship and the AP over a number of games and he's extremely average (poor for AP standards).

I agree Pooly! John O Shea has 5 premiership medals, Shearer and Gerrard have 0. Stephen Donald has more world cup medals than Jonny Sexton, Stephen Jones and Stephen Larkham put together!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 01 Oct 2014, 9:50 pm

Haha, agree Bathite. Stating an individual has a medal in a team event (often of 40 squad players) equates to very little. He's a very average player that offers very little imo

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:08 pm

Well let's hope Brian Smith turns out to be right in his judgement - of course if those pesky Quins hadn't nicked Marland it wouldn't have mattered ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:48 pm

Heaf wrote:Well let's hope Brian Smith turns out to be right in his judgement - of course if those pesky Quins hadn't nicked Marland it wouldn't have mattered ...

Could we swap him for Skivington or Court????

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 01 Oct 2014, 10:52 pm

Ozzy3213 wrote:I was just looking at the table and specifically the tries column.  I know it's a bit skewed as the 4 teams whop have played Welsh have probably scored more tries than they otherwise would have, but I found it interesting that only Welsh and Quins have scored less tries than us (Irish), but by the same token only Saints and Chiefs have conceded fewer.

It's a fair while since the stats would last suggest that we were stronger defensively than offensively.

We have been playing clueless attacking rugby for the best part of 18 months now Ozzy.

For some reason ever since our victorious season we've changed our gameplan to 'run everything in our 12' and 'use long passes to get the ball wide at every opportunity'. Unfortunately neither of these tactics are successful on average.

But even so if we get the try bp against Welsh we'll be up to slightly more respectable figure (think 9 or 10 instead of 5). Fingers Crossed

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:00 pm

Short has been average so far but ojo isnt any better. He has lost his pace it seems and his defence is awful. I would stick with short but maybe get tom fowlie some game time soon.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:06 pm

Fenby has to start ahead doesn't he Nick? Have you not got another FB?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by stnick88 Wed 01 Oct 2014, 11:19 pm

The ginger ninja. But he is injured. And a terrible player. Thankfully fenby has shone at FB and made it his own. We could do with another winger, shame tagi left but that was because he is a greedy t wat.

stnick88

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 02 Oct 2014, 7:46 am

Topsy has been a legend for London Irish, but sadly I have to agree with Nick, he does seem to have lost some pace, and therefore isn't the try scoring threat that he once was. He also missed those tackles in R1 which are what ultimately cost us a shot at winning the game. He is good back up right now, but will need to step his game back up again if he is to once more be first choice on the wing.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 02 Oct 2014, 8:56 am

It'll be interesting to see who Quins go with at 13 and wing/full back. Right now assuming the injured from last weekend won't play and no ones back from injury as well we have Tiks at 13 Yarde at 14 and then Lindsey-Hague covering 11 and 15. Seriously, there is no one else in the squad.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 02 Oct 2014, 9:26 am

Bath Rugby vs. Saracens by 3

Harlequins vs. London Welsh Quins by 38

London Irish vs. Northampton Saints Saints by13

Gloucester vs. Leicester Tigers Tigers by 4

Sale Sharks vs. London Wasps Wasps by 5

Newcastle Falcons vs. Exeter Chiefs Exe by 9
TightHEAD
TightHEAD