The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scottish Rugby

+14
VinceWLB
RuggerRadge2611
BigGee
funnyExiledScot
Captain_Sensible
RDW
profitius
TJ
InjuredYetAgain
jimbopip
bluestonevedder
Weegie Wizard
fa0019
reallybored
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are you optimistic the next decade of Scottish rugby will be better than the last?

Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap71%Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 71% 
[ 22 ]
Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Vote_lcap29%Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Vote_rcap 29% 
[ 9 ]

Total Votes : 31

Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Empty Scottish Rugby

Post by reallybored Thu 02 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

Thought we could do with opening the conversation up a bit from other thread on the fly-half options.

Very encouraging to see the SRU and BT opening the first of four new national academies in Aberdeen aimed at developing the next generation. Target is for each academy to be producing 12 high-quality players for pro-rugby and another 12 for domestic-rugby per year, which seems very ambitious but fair play to them, not like the SRU to set unrealistic targets Whistle.  Hopefully this is the first steps towards creating another pro-team, with Aberdeen looking likely to be the destination.  

The other side of growing rugby though is getting results at the top level and inspiring kids to get involved and emulate their hero's.  

Glasgow are fulfilling their side of the bargain and look like they'll be challenging for silver-ware this term.  Edinburgh don't but I'm actually willing to be patient with Solomons, just don't think another change of coach would help at this point in time.  The team also needs to settle down a bit and get some continuity in selection, plus they're missing two of their best players in Denton and Scott.

Quietly confident that we'll arrive at the RWC in good nick, obviously it'd have been better had Cotter had more time but Glasgow's current form simplifies his selection choices. I'm confident that we've probably got our best pool of players compared to the previous 2 or 3 tournaments, with some genuine quality in the team.  Plus we've got a good draw in the group and the fixtures have been kind to us with Japan then USA before South Africa and finishing with key match against Samoa.

Anyone else share my optimism?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Empty Re: Scottish Rugby

Post by RDW Wed 08 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

I posted this on the Glasgow thread but didn't get much of a response - joking aside, there was definitely something wrong with Hogg last season and it impacted his game. He seems to be back on form now and long may that continue - Scotland need him.

I also hope he re-signs with Glasgow and isn't tempted away. He's only 22 FFS, and is a key player for Glasgow. Murchie is a perfectly capable understudy, but Glasgow have shown that you need at least 2 or even 3 top players in each position to be successful.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed 08 Oct 2014, 6:36 pm

All four of our Lions struggled last season with form and niggling injuries, a small taster for us of a Lions' hangover.  Hopefully with a decent pre-season and chance to blow out the cobwebs, all four can re-find the form they showed to merit a Lions call up.

Hogg has started to show his class again, Gray has been getting good reviews for Castre despite their form.  

Yet to see Maitland but he said in an interview recently he feels fresh after 3 seasons of continuous rugby. Grant is obviously a fair bit away from playing but hopefully his enforced break will give him a chance to reboot.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 10 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

Heard a brilliant story about Geoff Cross last night, that makes him even more of a legend.

Apparently he isn't going to shave his beard until he plays for Scotland again. Currently, his beard looks like this!

Scottish Rugby - Page 2 Geoff%20Cross%20head%20shot

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Sun 12 Oct 2014, 5:11 pm

Anyone reckon Scott Steele could have an outside chance of featuring for Scotland in the upcoming tests? Playing quite well for Irish:

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

Nematode wrote:Anyone reckon Scott Steele could have an outside chance of featuring for Scotland in the upcoming tests? Playing quite well for Irish:

Yes I think Scott Steele could be in with a shout, Would say Chris Cusiter should be first choice and Scott Steele should push Laidlaw close for back up scrum half.
I know laidlaw had a very good game last weekend but over the season so far I would say Steele has been the better overall scrum half.
Brian Smith the Irish coach sees Steele as being one of their key players so is certainly making a good impression in the premiership!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

Well three scrum halves will make the squad and none of the Edinburgh trio will make it, so it's basically Cusiter, Laidlaw plus one of Pyrgos or Steele. I've never warmed to Pyrgos particularly, for every great pass two seem to escape the reach of the fly half, but he has got something, and always seems to raise his game in Scotland colours. Close call, and if Weir is going to be starting at 10 then I suppose there's some logic in having Pyrgos involved. No issues with Steele though, I just haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 13 Oct 2014, 5:55 pm

Pyrgos seems to be getting better and better. Last year I had him down as a decent club pro - but this year he seems quicker and more adventurous and makes less mistake.

Pyrgos - greek descent / name?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 13 Oct 2014, 8:43 pm

God where has this sudden plethora of competition come from, plenty of good players are going to miss out on the RWC next year.

We've got 4/5 good loose-heads (Grant, Reid, Dickinson, Allan, Welsh) and 5/6 tight-heads (Murray, Cross, Welsh, Low, Nell, Cusack and possibly even Fargeson).

A couple of Gilchrist, Hamilton, Swinson or Low will miss out.

Back-row is competitive as usual, especially at open-side with the emergence of Watson adding to the current stable of Barclay, Cowan, Rennie and Fusaro.

Once Strauss is available, only one of Beattie, Denton and Ashe will make the plane.

Looks likely that Cusiter and Laidlaw will be involved but behind them Pyrgos, Steele, Kennedy, Hidalgo-Clyne and Hart will be vying for the final spot.

For first time in a decade there's choice at fly-half with Russell, Weir, Heathcote and Jackson, plus possibly Tonks or Horne.

Centre looks pretty set with Scott and Dunbar both definites for the squad, Bennett will probably make the cut but one of Horne or Taylor will miss out. Especially if guys like Fife, Lamont or Evans are considered as options in the centre.

We've got three first class wingers in Seymour, Visser and Maitland. Fife would be hopeful of making the squad but experience of Lamont or Evans may edge him out.  

Hogg is first name on team-sheet imo but even here there's fierce competition to be back-up with Tonks, Murchie and maybe Cuthbert.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2