The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerald Mcclellan

+10
wow_junky
swedish chef
WelshDevilRob
azania
manos de piedra
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
The Galveston Giant
The_Phenom
14 posters

Go down

Gerald Mcclellan Empty Gerald Mcclellan

Post by The_Phenom Wed 25 May 2011, 4:36 pm

Was the Gman an elite fighter in his day. Prior to the Nigel Benn fight he gained recognition following a war with Julian Jackson and then blew him out in the rematch. Had he finished Benn in the 1st round and never had the career ending injury how do you think he would of done against the following:

Steve Collins
James Toney
Roy Jones Jr
Joe Calzaghe

Out of this series I would pick the Toney fight to be the best of the bunch, he had the skills and most importantly the chin to withstand Mcclellan's bombs.

I think he lands the big right hand on roy jones and stops him.

Calzaghe will probably suffocate him with slaps to prevent Gman from working from range.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Gerald Mcclellan Empty Re: Gerald Mcclellan

Post by The Galveston Giant Wed 25 May 2011, 4:38 pm

Great matchups, not got time just now but will get my predictions up.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 25 May 2011, 4:41 pm

He wasn't quite an elite fighter phenom...He was very much in the kronk mode tall rangy with good power...

However like the beast who he beat he was carefully matched with Julian Jackson types that were going to be in his face and good targets.......

he was a proud warrior..if flawed human being...

But wasn't an elite fighter....thought he'd beat Benn though.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Wed 25 May 2011, 4:50 pm

Steve Collins - Gman by KO, late
James Toney - Toney pts
Roy Jones Jr - Jones pts/late TKO
Joe Calzaghe - Calzaghe pts

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 25 May 2011, 4:53 pm

I agree with Truss Shocked

And in the end, it was that kind of match making which cost him.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Wed 25 May 2011, 4:54 pm

I think he gets outworked by Collins and Calzaghe and outskilled by Jones and Toney.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 25 May 2011, 5:11 pm

G-man failed to develop his boxing ability and began to rely far too much on his punching power. As anamateur, similarly to Hearns, he was a boxer with very good skills. In his early pro days he utilised his boxing more. Had he stayed that way he could have been very special. I'd have picked him against all others on the list except RJJ.

Lets not forget that Toney was getting schooled against Nunn before landing the lottery punch.

RJJ would have been a great fight and I would pick RJJ to win on points by running fast.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Wed 25 May 2011, 5:39 pm

Explosive power is what he is best known for and he did hit mighty hard. It could be said that Jackson didn't have the best chin but still 2 fabulous wins.

Hard to truly gauge Gerald as a Pro because he never went past 8 rounds except for the Benn defeat.

I don't believe he beats Joe Calzaghe or Roy Jones both quicker than Gerald and more allround ability. James Toney was a very sound boxer but also defensively too good to be troubled by Gerald.

Steve Collins on the other hand, who I don't rate, would get his butt handed too him. Steve far too easy to hit and while tough; would not last too long against Gerald.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by swedish chef Wed 25 May 2011, 7:34 pm

he made his name of jackson in 2 good wins and everyone jumped on the bandwagon thinking he was a bigger puncher than jackson.

swedish chef

Back to top Go down

Post by wow_junky Wed 25 May 2011, 10:26 pm

At best he's on Steve Collins level, not sure who I'd back in that one. If Collins could survive the first few rounds (which is entirely possible with his chin) then he would win wide on points.

Toney would eat him for breakfast, KO before 6.

RJJ would be more conservative, stopping him late on, could do it earlier but he would be a bit wary of his power

Calzaghe would outpoint him comfortably. Calzaghe's chin/powers of recovery outshine GMans power IMO

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Wed 25 May 2011, 11:27 pm

I tend to agree that he beats Collins but comes up short against against RJJ, JC and Toney. He was a good fighter, good puncher but sometimes over reliant on his power. Always felt he was better suited to 160 than 168 but that's where the better fights were. There's always been a suggestion that he didn't suffer the injury in the benn fight, but that it was a pre-existing problem (possibly sustained in the war with Jackson) that was exacerbated in the benn fight.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 25 May 2011, 11:52 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I tend to agree that he beats Collins but comes up short against against RJJ, JC and Toney. He was a good fighter, good puncher but sometimes over reliant on his power. Always felt he was better suited to 160 than 168 but that's where the better fights were. There's always been a suggestion that he didn't suffer the injury in the benn fight, but that it was a pre-existing problem (possibly sustained in the war with Jackson) that was exacerbated in the benn fight.

He should have had a tune up at 168 first. He was a very big MW and had to boil down. He definately didn;t have the injury prior to the Benn fight as that would have been picked up in a MRI scan. I think he would have taken Toney and JC but probably not RJJ. Wont even mention collins in the same breath.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Thu 26 May 2011, 12:35 am

He could have been an elite fighter had the focus not been on him blowing people out double quick. In some film of him you can see that classic Kronk schooling, and when he deigned to use his jab, it looked pretty good. A fight ending right hand is such a wonderful weapon to have it's easy to focus your plan too much around landing it.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Thu 26 May 2011, 1:29 am

Power alone is not enough to beat Collins in my view. His work rate, style and durability made him a real handful.

Collins would probably need to survive some big shots but he showed on plenty of occasions he could do that and I dont think McClellan has remotely the all round skills to outbox Collins. I would make Collins a handy favourite.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Thu 26 May 2011, 7:12 am

Azania: He definately didn;t have the injury prior to the Benn fight as that would have been picked up in a MRI scan
-------
I'm
Not saying he did or didn't have a problem before he got in with benn, but you can't say he DEFINITELY didn't Az. Even now 15 years later with more advances in medical science and technology tumours, blood clots and other illness's go undetected by MRI's, ultrasounds, CAT scans etc. Even when giving the gender of a baby to prospective parents its only 90% accurate - nothing is 100%, so you can't say he definitely didn't have a problem. There are reports to suggest he'd had severe head aches and nose bleeds post Jackson. Against benn he was clearly in distress from at least the 4th, yet he'd not been that heavily tagged early on - apart from the clash of heads. It's less likely he gad a problem prior to the fight due to medical screening, but we can't say he definitely didn't.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 26 May 2011, 8:21 am

azania wrote:
Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:I tend to agree that he beats Collins but comes up short against against RJJ, JC and Toney. He was a good fighter, good puncher but sometimes over reliant on his power. Always felt he was better suited to 160 than 168 but that's where the better fights were. There's always been a suggestion that he didn't suffer the injury in the benn fight, but that it was a pre-existing problem (possibly sustained in the war with Jackson) that was exacerbated in the benn fight.

He should have had a tune up at 168 first. He was a very big MW and had to boil down. He definately didn;t have the injury prior to the Benn fight as that would have been picked up in a MRI scan. I think he would have taken Toney and JC but probably not RJJ. Wont even mention collins in the same breath.

Az, come on now, "taken Toney"? Lights Out would have played with McClellan, absolutely toyed with him back then. Toney had far too much guile for Gerald. Too good defensively, solid chin, sound fundamentals and enough power to keep anyone honest. In my humble opinion, there is no way McClellen would have enough gumption to beat Toney.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by The_Phenom Thu 26 May 2011, 9:30 am

azania wrote:

To be honest I watched a british documentary on the Benn Mcclellan fight and it did mention that Manny Steward noticed something was wrong with Gman prior to the Benn fight thus he refused to train him and they fell out.

Although I can see the case for all of the above names to beat Gman his power was a great equaliser. He definately had enough speed and skill to land on these men. Who knows how they would react once feeling his power.

The_Phenom

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 26 May 2011, 10:13 am

azania wrote:G-man failed to develop his boxing ability and began to rely far too much on his punching power. As anamateur, similarly to Hearns, he was a boxer with very good skills. In his early pro days he utilised his boxing more. Had he stayed that way he could have been very special. I'd have picked him against all others on the list except RJJ.

Lets not forget that Toney was getting schooled against Nunn before landing the lottery punch.

RJJ would have been a great fight and I would pick RJJ to win on points by running fast.

Didn't GMan beat Jones in the amateurs?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Thu 26 May 2011, 10:20 am

Just googled it. TKO victory. Obviously had skills and speed
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content