The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Davis Cup Hypothetical

5 posters

Go down

Davis Cup Hypothetical Empty Davis Cup Hypothetical

Post by summerblues Sat 4 Oct - 5:20

This hypothetical scenario:

Fed is at #2 in the rankings, 100 points behind Nole after WTF.  He wins his first match in DC final to bring him within 25 points.  After doubles, Switzerland is 2:1 ahead.  Stan plays next.

Will Stan tank to give Fed a chance to get YE #1?  (note that Fed could only reach #1 if Stan loses or else the last match will be a dead rubber which is worth no ranking points).

What do you say?

Ok, you all say Stan will not tank.  So then a bonus question:

Will Fed be rooting for Stan to win?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Davis Cup Hypothetical Empty Re: Davis Cup Hypothetical

Post by YvonneT Sat 4 Oct - 13:50

I don't have any thoughts on your questions, but it made me laugh, so thanks!

What if the number one is not even on line in your scenario? Would a part of Federer want to be the one who clinched the Davis Cup, not the one who watched Stan do it.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat 4 Oct - 14:08

YvonneT wrote:but it made me laugh, so thanks!
Well, obviously, that was sort of the intent.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Sat 4 Oct - 15:57

summerblues wrote:Ok, you all say Stan will not tank.  So then a bonus question:

Will Fed be rooting for Stan to win?

Stan should do his best to win, irrespective of YE#1 being a factor. Federer will root for Stan the Man, there is no question on my mind.

Even if Nadal changed his citizenship to SUI, and played for SUI in DC, Federer would root for him, no matter what their individual rivalry might be. Wink

Same would apply if Murray or Djokovic played for SUI.

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 4 Oct - 16:25

Fed stated year end #1 wasn't his goal at this point, but DC is. I'm sure he would love to get #1, but he's not going to take a chance that his country would lose the DC just to secure a few points. He'd prob feel at that point if he's that close to #1, he can just secure the #1 at Brisbane or AO- with the 52 rolling week rankings, each time you reach #1 is really #1 for a year... With all he's done, I doubt he cares what the exact dates are.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 4 Oct - 16:27

Stan secretly hates Federer, so he'd love to clinch it and stop Roger reaching the top (again) Wink (Seriously, I think Stan's iffy about Roger)
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 4 Oct - 16:51

The Special Juan wrote:Stan secretly hates Federer, so he'd love to clinch it and stop Roger reaching the top (again) Wink  (Seriously, I think Stan's iffy about Roger)

I don't think the seriously part is correct. Stan just did a beautiful interview in swiss paper where he talks about Federer's generosity during tournaments towards Stan with letting Stan used Luthi for advise and Fed's physio, how they train together and how Federer is "his best friend on tour" If you frequent Federer's website forums there are tons of fan pictures from each tournament of Fed and Stan laughing and joking while practicing together. The only thing I could think of that would be a problem would be if Stan was jealous of Feds success, but I just don't see that being true at all.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat 4 Oct - 16:54

Didn't Stan make a veiled dig at Roger about the DC a few years ago?
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by YvonneT Sat 4 Oct - 17:33

summerblues wrote:
YvonneT wrote:but it made me laugh, so thanks!
Well, obviously, that was sort of the intent.
That's a relief!! Quite a few posters here make me laugh when I suspect that's not their intent.

YvonneT

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Sat 4 Oct - 17:45

The Special Juan wrote:Didn't Stan make a veiled dig at Roger about the DC a few years ago?

lol- I think like most adults- especially in that type pressure- they have slight dips or one aggravates the other from time to time.. what friend doesn't? They've both used the term "big brother,little brother" to describe their relationship,, and what sibling as much as you love them- doesn't get on your nerves from time to time?

People never look at context. I'm pretty sure they have a tight relationship off the court.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down