The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland?

+17
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Cardiff Dave
PenfroPete
lostinwales
profitius
Breadvan
HammerofThunor
SecretFly
Notch
Cyril
TJ
InjuredYetAgain
bedfordwelsh
wayne
ScarletSpiderman
marty2086
LordDowlais
21 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland?

Post by LordDowlais Mon 06 Oct 2014, 12:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is a very interesting article from WalesOnline by Simon Thomas, he raises some very interesting issues, but for me the most glaring one is about how Leinster’s chief executive Mick Dawson said about the work that goes on off the pitch, "There is an awful lot of hard work actually goes in off the pitch to make sure the awareness is created and the sense of occasion,” he said. Now, perhaps if the WRU let the regions do something like this I think the regions could raise their attendances, but Roger keeps holding the regions back, I think he is scared that the regions might get too powerful and it could affect his team Wales agenda. The whole article can be found here:-

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/welsh-rugby-not-thriving-like-7885933

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland?

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:08 pm

Hate to be picky (I'm kidding, I love it) but London Scottish are third in the Championship and since when has a 6 point win being "put to the sword"? That conjours images of a thrashing, 8 tries to nil, relentless oppression. Even if Pontypridd where completely dominate it would indicate problems with them only winning by 6.

And on topic, it's been suggested that the numbers of Welsh people continuing rugby after school have dropped dramatically. Josh Lewsey is looking into it.

And I agree with Spiderman, if you only look at the negative it will (unsurprisingly) look negative.  There is a difference between being critical and being on a downer. There is plenty of good that rarely seems to be mentioned.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland? - Page 3 Empty Re: Why is Welsh rugby not thriving like Leinster and Munster do in Ireland?

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

Are London Scottish a fully pro side ? Also, the amount of people continuing to play rugby after school is dropping everywhere, not just in Wales, it's a wrap your kids up in cotton wool culture we all live in these days, at least we are trying to do something about it, the "regions" could be better supported, but there is not enough people or money to go around to support both your local side and your region, what is happening in Wales is, that people will go out and watch their local side, and then go home or to the clubhouse and watch their region on the tele, that is why their is so much demand from BBC Wales and S4C to air the game in Wales, in fact, according to Roger Lewis, the tele money for each region is the equivalent of having 10,000 fans through the gates every week.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

After school, further education and earning money come before sport. By then you would know if you're going to make it as professional athlete or not.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

I'd say a lot of it is to do with success, or potentioal of success.
Year after Blues reach Hcup semi final, and just missed out on final,
Blues V Glasgow Att: 9,185

This year
Blues V Glasgow Att: 6,897

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Are London Scottish a fully pro side ?

I think so. Not 100%, I know some of the championship sides aren't.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:35 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:Are London Scottish a fully pro side ?

I think so. Not 100%, I know some of the championship sides aren't.

Yes but London Scottish are, aren't they ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 13 Oct 2014, 2:38 pm

Kingshu wrote:I'd say a lot of it is to do with success, or potentioal of success.

This year

So to word it another way, the Blues attendances have actually dropped since winning things?
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Mon 13 Oct 2014, 3:48 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Kingshu wrote:I'd say a lot of it is to do with success, or potentioal of success.

This year

So to word it another way, the Blues attendances have actually dropped since winning things?

Never got time to look into it more but Ulster game may have been better this year than 2010,
but I think by 2010 the gloss had come off the Blues, as they didn't do well in the league that year, but when they were getting into the H-cup semi, the knock on effect was increased supporter numbers, since then with little follow up this increase has dropped off.

Maybe a better example

Maybe Ulster 09/10
V Edinburgh 8899
V Glasgow 8761

now
V Edinburgh 15,479
V Glasgow 16,260

Attendance has near doubled,

09/10
Scarlets V Ulster 6266
V NGD 6464

This year
V Ulster 6531
V NGD 7124

So in 2009 Ulster had around 2000 more supports over Scarlets, and in that time have doubled attendance, Scarlets very slightly better, however I bet if Scarlets had made the play offs most years, H-cup final, and knock out rounds every year and looked like being among the best teams in Europe their attendance would currently be around the 14,000 mark, and if Ulster didn't have the success and were normally around mid table our attendance would be around the 9000 mark.

I think it success or looking like could be successful that brings the fans in.

Ospreys have a good chance to get out of thier group and I bet if they stay top of the Pro 12 and get into the knock out rounds in Europe the attendances will increase, for the sake off the League I'd love them to put a good run in and make the Final, if they reached the Pro 12 final as well, it wouldn't matter if they lost both games crowds would eb greatly increased for thier games next year.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3