The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling

3 posters

Go down

Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling Empty Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling

Post by talkingpoint Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:00 am

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/boxing/29520846

Thought provoking article on the bbc sport website about Boxing`s journeymen and how they are effectively professional losers. I saw a lot of parallels with Wrestling`s jobbers and while no one is denying Boxing is a real sport, the career of a journeymen and the culture of the sport are indeed closer to professional wrestling than some fans may want to admit.

boxing

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling Empty Re: Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling

Post by dyrewolfe Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:54 pm

As someone who is only a casual boxing fan, that was a bit of a shock. Shocked

Effectively boxing is no more a "real sport" than pro wrestling, if stuff like that is the norm.

Wonder how many title matches have been "decided" like that?

I'm not sure whether I respect or pity these journeymen, who effectively make a living out of getting beaten up by young up-and-coming pretty boys, whose managers want to build up impressive-looking unbeaten records...until they have to have a proper match (and a rude awakening at the same time).

Even more shocking to learn the refs are apparently in on the game as well...

I mean I've seen a fair few fights that looked like they would be one-sided (fit young kid goes up against slightly flabby-looking nobody) but I didn't think managers/coaches actively instructed their fighters to "not put too much effort in".
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling Empty Re: Journeymen are to Boxing what Jobbers are to Wrestling

Post by talkingpoint Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:42 am

dyrewolfe wrote:As someone who is only a casual boxing fan, that was a bit of a shock. Shocked

Effectively boxing is no more a "real sport" than pro wrestling, if stuff like that is the norm.

Wonder how many title matches have been "decided" like that?

I'm not sure whether I respect or pity these journeymen, who effectively make a living out of getting beaten up by young up-and-coming pretty boys, whose managers want to build up impressive-looking unbeaten records...until they have to have a proper match (and a rude awakening at the same time).

Even more shocking to learn the refs are apparently in on the game as well...

I mean I've seen a fair few fights that looked like they would be one-sided (fit young kid goes up against slightly flabby-looking nobody) but I didn't think managers/coaches actively instructed their fighters to "not put too much effort in".

Exactly.

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Heh.

You also have to wonder if "stunts" like the first Froch - Groves fight, when the ref ended the fight prematurely (in the eyes of many) are also deliberate, designed to stoke up the hype and demand for a rematch.

Again, very similar to when you get screwy finishes to wrestling matches that lead to re-matches.

Also, the pre-fight trash talk you normally get from both sides is scarily similar to wrestlers' promos.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:57 pm

dyrewolfe wrote:Heh.

You also have to wonder if "stunts" like the first Froch - Groves fight, when the ref ended the fight prematurely (in the eyes of many)

It was only premature because if the ref didnt stop it, Froch was about to.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:57 pm

Samo wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Heh.

You also have to wonder if "stunts" like the first Froch - Groves fight, when the ref ended the fight prematurely (in the eyes of many)

It was only premature because if the ref didnt stop it, Froch was about to.

That was my impression too...but opinions seemed pretty divided on it. Plus Groves seemed genuinely upset (and amazingly alert for a guy who had looked 1 punch from being KO'd).
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down