The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meldrick Taylor vs Aaron Pryor

+3
ShahenshahG
Hammersmith harrier
hazharrison
7 posters

Go down

Meldrick Taylor vs Aaron Pryor Empty Meldrick Taylor vs Aaron Pryor

Post by hazharrison Sun 12 Oct 2014, 7:50 am

Who wins this light welterweight blockbuster?

https://youtu.be/porsK2f9emo

https://youtu.be/LgL1JmyKHck

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Meldrick Taylor vs Aaron Pryor Empty Re: Meldrick Taylor vs Aaron Pryor

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 12 Oct 2014, 1:57 pm

It could depend on how many rounds it's held over, if it goes 15 then that plays into the hands of Pryor who was equally as relentless as Chavez but possessed unpredictability and added speed.

Whether it's 12 or 15 I do feel that Pryor turns it on enough to either eek out a points win or stops Taylor if it goes past 12. Pryor had a cast iron chin and some of the right hands he soaked up from Arguello were sickening especially that straight right which sent his head gazing at the stars.

It probably follows a pattern similar to both fights mentioned, Taylor building up an early lead using his blinding speed and combos but starting to wilt under the pressure late on. Unlike Chavez he did everything wrong and would be a nightmare to use for an upcoming star, punching off the wrong foot most notably but that is what made him great. If he didn't know what he was going to do his opponents had even less chance of knowing.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:51 pm

Pretty much what I thought except I think Taylor might squeeze past if it was 12.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 12 Oct 2014, 2:52 pm

We'll make it 12 rounds to narrow the gap!

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 12 Oct 2014, 6:23 pm

Cracking match up, and a tough fight to call. Think it would be a cracking fight and it could go either way but if you had to bet your life on it, you'd go with the guy who won his life or death struggle against a great rather than the one who lost his... Even if the comparison of arguello and chavez (with respect to their best weights and styles making fights etc) isn't entirely a fair one.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sun 12 Oct 2014, 8:41 pm

Pryor via late stoppage for me. Taylor will start fast but won't build up considerable lead as he won't have the power to deter "The Hawk" and by the middle rounds he will be dragged in to a war. This for me is where Taylor will come unstuck. A brave Taylor will be halted in the championship rounds of a gruelling battle.

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 1:14 am

Like everyone else, my first feeling was / is that Taylor ends up losing a fight he was in command of through being too brave for his own good and just getting hit too much. The Chavez fight is an obvious and fair enough measurement.

But on the other side of that, he was two seconds away from beating Julio, and it's not as if the stoppage which resulted in his defeat is a universally popular one, or totally agreed with. Not to mention the fact that he still came oh-so-close to getting the job done with a corner who told him to fight the last round when he'd have been fine playing it safe, like he'd go on to do against Aaron Davis. On top of that, Chavez was a bit more methodical than Pryor and his body shots played a huge part in slowing Taylor down and eventually overwhelming him - and Pryor didn't dig the body the way Julio did.

Ultimately, Taylor isn't going to back away from Pryor and let him build up forwards momentum the way someone like Cervantes did, and Pryor could be as open as they come and will probably eat a lot of Taylor's left hooks himself. But he was perhaps that little bit more durable than Taylor. If Meldrick had a bigger punch I think he'd hold on to win more than he loses over twelve rounds, but as Pryor isn't going to be overly-concerned by Taylor's power I can see him beating Meldrick over a series, maybe dropping one decision against two late TKO wins.

That's over twelve, anyway. Over the longer course the odds have to edge towards Pryor even more almost by default. Taylor's defence lapsed as fights wore on and, while he was brave and tough, he lulled at times over the twelve round distance and never even had to pace himself over fifteen. Pryor, though, was a proven fifteen rounder who got out of some very tricky positions (Arguello I, Hinton) in rounds 13-15. Late stoppage just about every time over the old championship course for Pryor.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Oct 2014, 12:40 pm

I'm picking Taylor over 12..............First reason is Pryor would struggle with the kid's speed and combinations. Poor old Mcgirt lost every round !!... Second reason is JCC was probably the best bodypuncher of the last thirty years and he got well beaten......You'll never convince me that the stoppage was on the level......

If you think the fight was on the level one has to agree Taylor blew a shutout anyway....If he'd just kept away he wins...

Taylor outclassed Chavez....A top 20/25 ATG...

Sorry but anyone who watches.................Chavez-Rosario...and Hearns-Barkley...Tyson - Bruno... will know we have a referee who always let's the fight go on too long If anything.........Especially If a king fighter was smacking the crap out of someone or one of his fighters needed the benefit of the doubt like Hearnsy..

Unless of course someone like Ruddock was giving a King fighter a hard time....Ermmm Spot the similarity to this fight...

Don't see Pryor getting to him..............15 maybe a different story If Pryor isn't half blind by then..

Pick Whittaker to beat Pryor too.........

This referee is in the HOF !!............Let's give Ted Bundy a medal for services to Women !!..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 13 Oct 2014, 1:01 pm

Whittaker bests Pryor for me too truss, I think its entirely plausible that Taylor wins this, fastest hands I've ever seen in a guy his size. He relied on that rather than any defensive prowess though, which is why gun to head I'd lean to Pryor, but pretty much a pickem for me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down