The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

+12
wheelchair1991
milkyboy
djlovesyou
Gerry SA
Hammersmith harrier
catchweight
hazharrison
Dipper Brown
ONETWOFOREVER
kingraf
John Bloody Wayne
mobilemaster8
16 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 2 Empty GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 2:01 am

First topic message reminder :

Morning ladies and gents.....anyone up for tonight's big fights?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:26 am

Haha the guy is an absolute machine. Beautiful feint and uppercut.....then some bizarre chopping hook to the forehead.....

"Look at me, I have 3 belts"

"I want cotto. He good boy"

Standby Cotto running to 154lbs and Quillin running to 168lbs.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS - Page 2 Empty Re: GGG, Rubio, Donaire and Walters - SPOILERS

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:26 am

Look at him, he has three belts.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:26 am

Big shot now but Rubio was a disgrace from start to finish.

Canelo v GGG has to be made.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:29 am

Don't see how Rubio was a disgrace. He tried to make GGG respect him but was in with a steamroller.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:31 am

GGG swaggers away after the KD like John Wayne

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:31 am

He was a disgrace in he could not even make weight. Seems like a ''just a payday'' mentality to me.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:34 am

It was two pounds, if he was just in it for the money he would've come in dead, kept his 100k and been more fragile

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:35 am

Golovkin v Joshua!

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 4:36 am

Well said JBW. GGG was in destruction mode there and Rubio couldn't cope. Even in the corner....to GGG....just go out and practice for a couple of rounds...

Your fighting a guy who is 181lbs, with a hefty knockout ratio who had dragged Chavez Jnr the distance for example.

2 rounds. 3 belts.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Oct 2014, 7:57 am

Golovkin is some fighter. He needs a big name next, though, desperately. There's talk of Martin Murray in the UK or another brave soul in Germany or Monte Carlo (Sergio Mora and Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam have shouted out for a chance).

HBO need to invest here if they're really interested in creating a star rather than a fearsome monster for Ward to cuddle to death.

They should be throwing money at Cotto and Chavez (if he can get anywhere near 160) - hell, even Martinez would do if he's intent on continuing his career.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 8:16 am

You aren't going to beat Golovkin in a Mehicano style fight. You have to dance, dance dance, and then youll get a comfortable decision defeat. Honestly, stand absolutely no chance in a shootout against the guy. A fight between him and a peak Martinez would have been,a goodie.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Oct 2014, 8:18 am

kingraf wrote:You aren't going to beat Golovkin in a Mehicano style fight. You have to dance, dance dance, and then youll get a comfortable decision defeat. Honestly, stand absolutely no chance in a shootout against the guy. A fight between him and a peak Martinez would have been,a goodie.

I don't believe anyone has a "comfortable" night with Golovkin.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

I find it hard to believe Rubio couldnt shed the weight. He looked like a big fat phucker in there.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:02 pm

He looked a lot of things in there. Knocked out being the most important. GGG is pretty close to superstar status now. Plus he can speak a bit of Spanish, so the Mexicans are going to love him. Still space on the bandwagon folks.

Talk of him vs Murray in February in Monte Carlo. It's a good fight, as for me, those two are the best two fighters in the division. Hopefully he wins that, then cleans up Canelo/Cotto by the end of the year.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:06 pm

If Froch wants a vegas fight. Why not this guy.......

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:07 pm

I just want to see him fight again. Technically superb with power to match....decent chin....likes to have a scrap if need be.

Great watch.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:08 pm

Don't think he will Catch. No need. Froch could have a low risk high reward with Chavez or have a very high risk fight with GGG.

Don't think he would risk fighting someone like GGG.

Would be interesting to see how GGG is at SMW though.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:09 pm

catchweight wrote:If Froch wants a vegas fight. Why not this guy.......

HBO have already said no to it being on PPV and Chavez brings far more money to the table.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:11 pm

And the Chavez fight is pie in the sky and always has been

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

Then Froch retires, he has nothing to prove by fighting Golovkin any more.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm

Of course he does. He would have to prove he could beat the next big thing in boxing. Golovkin is a fantastic fighter. If Froch wants a vegas fight and a massive challenge then Golovkin is perfect.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm

Guillermo Rigondeaux took it all from Nonito Donaire. 

Donaire was heavily favoured to beat(and KO) Rigondeaux. But Rigondeaux's Cuban clinic somewhat exposed the brilliant Flippino. 

Rigondeaux destroyed Donaire's aura and shattered his confidence. Donaire has been ordinary since that defeat. 

Massive credit to Nicholas Walters. He did what had to be done and very impressive. 

GGG was frighteningly good once again. Whether he fights Chavez Jr., Alvarez or Cotto, he beats the holy hell out of all of them...on the same night.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:19 pm

Looks like Al Haymon is lining up Adonis Stevenson vs Edwin Rodriguez. Strange after Stevenson ducked both Hopkins and Kovalev...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

That's his December fight, I'd think. Stevenson has said he's fighting the winner of Hopkins-Kova in a unification bout. Maybe he won't, but I don't think the Rodriguez fight is an indicator of any sorts.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

catchweight wrote:Of course he does. He would have to prove he could beat the next big thing in boxing. Golovkin is a fantastic fighter. If Froch wants a vegas fight and a massive challenge then Golovkin is perfect.

He's a 37 year old who has fought the best on a consistent basis, of anybody in world boxing he has the choice to fight whoever he wants and is under no obligation at all to face Golovkin.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:26 pm

What's wrong with a little GGG for Froch? No guarantees Golovkin's power comes up with him, and a win would be a big name for Froch, maybe on balance the biggest on his ledger. It's hardly a nothing fight for Froch. Golovkin just sold out an arena, and then the extra seats. It's money!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:28 pm

kingraf wrote:What's wrong with a little GGG for Froch?  No guarantees Golovkin's power comes up with him, and a win would be a big name for Froch, maybe on balance the biggest on his ledger. It's hardly a nothing fight for Froch. Golovkin just sold out an arena, and then the extra seats. It's money!
Might not to a true indicator but GGG has hammered Kovalev in sparring many times.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:
catchweight wrote:Of course he does. He would have to prove he could beat the next big thing in boxing. Golovkin is a fantastic fighter. If Froch wants a vegas fight and a massive challenge then Golovkin is perfect.

He's a 37 year old who has fought the best on a consistent basis, of anybody in world boxing he has the choice to fight whoever he wants and is under no obligation at all to face Golovkin.

Who cares about obligation? What are you, his lawyer or something?

He claims he wants a big Vegas fight against an opponent he can be motivated for. Step forward Golovkin, who would easily be the best win of Frochs career if he pulled it off.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:30 pm

kingraf wrote:That's his December fight, I'd think. Stevenson has said he's fighting the winner of Hopkins-Kova in a unification bout. Maybe he won't, but I don't think the Rodriguez fight is an indicator of any sorts.
I'd favour Rodriguez to beat Stevenson on points TBH. Rodriguez is a bigger, taller man. And his chin is better than Stevenson's

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:32 pm

A lot of people commenting on here who did not see the fight.

All this praise for 1 trick pony GGG its all a bit too much if I'm honest.

The fight I saw was competative for the 1st round. Rubio got caught in the second round but fired back. Rubio got caught later and went down to take a standing 8. The ref jumped in too early Rubio was clearly fine and able to go on. He had GGG worried for a bit in there when he traded with him.

End of the day fight was called off too early and GGG does not hit as hard as we have been led to believe as Rubio's stroll in the park reaction after the fight indicates.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 12:49 pm

Fight wasn't called off early. Rubio got up late. Honestly, did Golovkin beat you up in a bar fight when you were in special forces or whatever? The hate seems strong inside of you.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:06 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:

All this praise for 1 trick pony GGG its all a bit too much if I'm honest.

Is his one trick knocking opponents out early?

It's a pretty good trick.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:10 pm

kingraf wrote:Fight wasn't called off early. Rubio got up late. Honestly, did Golovkin beat you up in a bar fight when you were in special forces or whatever? The hate seems strong inside of you.

I know boxing raf.

I am boxing raf.

GGG is doing nothing different to what Julian Jackson did in the mid 80's and 90's. The Hawk destroyed men I can't put it any better then that. A lot of noise was made about him but at the time I said he would get exposed because fighters who live off the back of their power always get exposed and sure enough up steps the G-Man and the rest is history.

GGG just another Jackson.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:15 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
kingraf wrote:Fight wasn't called off early. Rubio got up late. Honestly, did Golovkin beat you up in a bar fight when you were in special forces or whatever? The hate seems strong inside of you.

I know boxing raf.

I am boxing raf.

GGG is doing nothing different to what  Julian Jackson did in the mid 80's and 90's. The Hawk destroyed men I can't put it any better then that. A lot of noise was made about him but at the time I said he would get exposed because fighters who live off the back of their power always get exposed and sure enough up steps the G-Man and the rest is history.

GGG just another Jackson.

Aside from the fact he's a completely different fighter. But yeah, exactly the same.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

Ha, you phrase that as if G man was some viruoso counter puncher onetwo

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:26 pm

If Jackson was exposed onetwo, it was by mccallum years earlier. Jackson a bit underrated actually I think, he wasn't just a clueless banger and neither is ggg, Infact he's a better technician than Jackson.

Bangers do tend to get exposed when they meet either someone with an iron chin or someone who lands first because typically they leave themselves open when they let rip. Ggg isn't wild like that and looks like he has decent whiskers. That said he gets hit and doesn't look so hot when backed up.... Easier said than done to do so though. He's no unbeatable beast in my opinion, but he's certainly a very heavy handed handful who closes the ring down and pressures guys out of their comfort zones.

Yet to meet a top level operator though, and it will be very interesting when he does.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:34 pm

The only fight who has the skills to do the job on him and send him back to Kazakstan is Quillen.

Its very easy to get carried away with a fighter that knocks people out but the fighters GGG has disposed of were below par and Rubio was a waste of everyones time. GGG is good but he does not want to move up to SM because I fancy Degale to totally outbox him and Groves would knock him out. I would even pick Chris Eubanks jr to take GGG out right now.

Really guys GGG is good but I see openings in his style which reminds me of Maidana's swing and hope 1 lands style of fighting. No thought goes into GGG's punch selection its all power arm punches.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:39 pm

See this is where a lot of people go wrong with masking their irrational hate. Fair enough to rate him beatable at super middle, but what the hell? Eubanks takes him out too?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:41 pm

You're wind ups are getting quite embarrassing now ONETWO.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:44 pm

Quillen would crap himself against GGG no way Haymon will let him anywhere near GGG

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Sun 19 Oct 2014, 1:52 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:The only fight who has the skills to do the job on him and send him back to Kazakstan is Quillen.

Its very easy to get carried away with a fighter that knocks people out but the fighters GGG has disposed of were below par and Rubio was a waste of everyones time. GGG is good but he does not want to move up to SM because I fancy Degale to totally outbox him and Groves would knock him out. I would even pick Chris Eubanks jr to take GGG out right now.

Really guys GGG is good but I see openings in his style which reminds me of Maidana's swing and hope 1 lands style of fighting. No thought goes into GGG's punch selection its all power arm punches.

Dear God....

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 19 Oct 2014, 2:54 pm

Love how you criticise GGG's level of opposition then back Eubank Jr to beat him, with his notable victories over...erm..

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 3fingers Sun 19 Oct 2014, 3:27 pm

I'm not sure about the stoppage. I watched it without sound. Seemed to call the fight off at 9 and a half. Rubio was clear eyed but the stoppage would have came later that round, had it continued.

I think GGG is a little in love with his own power (which is quite frightening). He's happy to take a few to land the finisher. Makes things exciting but I'd like to see him use more efeective head movement, more often

3fingers

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Sun 19 Oct 2014, 6:01 pm

Fact: GGG makes every opponent a 'good boy'
Fact: Rubio looked like he was under water in a swamp searching for up when he hit the canvas
Fact: It never looks right, how much pain GGG causes with a single blow
Fact: Nobody at 160 touches GGG, not that he'll even get the chance to fight the division's elite

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 6:11 pm

The division has no elite any more, it's a sorry state of affairs to see a typically strong division become so poor.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun 19 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

To be fair, SMW and Light heavyweight are pretty choc a blocked with elite fighters, to very good fighters. Three consecutive good biggish guy divisions would be a massive ask.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 7:30 pm

Well, as I said in my article, Walters would likely beat Donaire as long as he fought the right kind of fight....But even so, I have to admit I was a bit surprised to see Donaire get a chasing like that, even with the ominous signs in his last few performances.

I was critical beforehand of Walters not always using his jab and reach to best effect, but his jab was spot on last night and he softened Donaire up with it nicely. In fairness to Nonito, he did look more alert and willing here than he did against Darchinyan and Vetyeka, but there wasn't much he could do. Walters only deviated from his game plan for a few seconds after the low blow when the red mist descended over him - and he almost got taken out of there for his troubles. After that he made sure most of the exchanges were on his terms and Donaire was just never allowed to get settled in the centre of the ring.

Can't see too many reasons for Donaire to continue after this, particularly after he admitted that he'd trained like never before for this one. He showed in round two that he's still got a puncher's chance against anyone, and if he went back down to 122 (or maybe even 118) then he could still beat some of the top guys, I'm sure - but why take a step back like that just for the sake of it when you're not going to reach the heights you've scaled before?

He's been great for the sport and has done a hell of a lot, and given how content he seems in life (he's banked a good chunk of money, has admitted that fatherhood has shifted his focus away from boxing somewhat and has also apparently patched things up with his dad) I'd question if he could have any real hunger to come back after that kind of loss. His reaction afterwards, while very humble and admirable, also suggested a guy who isn't in love with boxing anymore.

If that's the end for him, then thanks Nonito, you've been a favourite of mine and a pleasure to watch. On to bigger and better things now for Walters - on to Lomachenko in fact, according to Arum.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Sun 19 Oct 2014, 9:50 pm

I think it's time for Donaire to retire, he isn't shot but he just doesn't seem have the appetite for it any more, Walters isn't in his class and two years ago it would have ended in favour of Donaire fairly early. He's done about as much as he could have, has never ducked a challenge, provided countless showreel knockouts but it's time for him to concentrate on the more important things in life.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:02 pm

Walters was too big for Donaire and always would be.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Sun 19 Oct 2014, 10:09 pm

ONETWO I have to disagree with pretty much all of that.

Eubank Jr can barely finish a sentance let alone GGG.....

If you watch him, his footwork is immense...he times EVERY shot and rarely misses. He comes forward and feints his shots and gets into range but seems to only ever throw when he knows full well he will connect.

He also mixed a few different shots last night, such as the uppercut and the overhand left hook to the head.

I for one think he is a superb talent. Rubio hadn't been stopped since Pavlik...and that was late on if I remember...and that was a retirement I think.

GGG has just blown away a hard hitting, heavy Mexican who a few people stateside thought would be a bit of a test...ie...take him a few rounds and at least land a few big shots.

He never got close....in fact he got destroyed.

Quillin has dropped to number 10 in the rankings.....and has vacated so no idea what he is doing.

Murray is up next, and if he beats him, the his past 4 fights would have included 3 top ten ranked opponents at world level in the MW division in Macklin, Geale and Murray......if he then wipes out cotto and quillin....he has to move up as there is nobody left.

He is taking out ranked fighters 4 times a year, more than any other champ....and he is going about it far too easily.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next