The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Prodigal Son Returns!

+5
fa0019
lostinwales
LondonTiger
Geordie
yappysnap
9 posters

Go down

The Prodigal Son Returns! Empty The Prodigal Son Returns!

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Oct 2014, 9:48 am

Yes reports state Calum Clark is set to be called up for the AI's. WTF?!

http://www.espn.co.uk/england/rugby/story/245027.html

Lancaster is quoted saying "I had no choice, his form really bent my arm"...

Last edited by yappysnap on Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

The Prodigal Son Returns! Empty Re: The Prodigal Son Returns!

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:00 am

Yeah its a curious one.

But i cant really comment as i havent seen him much for Saints. Has he been playing well?

He's very much Lancasters type of back rowers....they're all near enough identikit players....Wood, Robshaw, Johnson, Clark...good alrounders roughly 6'4, 17.5 stone...

Playing a Left and right flanker rather than a traditional 6 & 7

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

Prodigal and Calum Wink

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:15 am

Tom Wood has praised "stalwart" Calum Clark following the flanker's positive displays for the Northampton Saints so far this season.

The 25-year-old has played his part in the Saints' run of five wins from seven games this campaign, particularly catching the eye in the 20-11 European Rugby Champions Cup defeat at the hands of Racing Metro last weekend.

"Cal's got a huge engine," the Northampton Chronicle quotes Wood as saying. "He's full of heart and desire and he puts his body on the line week in, week out.

"He hasn't had a huge amount of luck with injuries and suspensions and he's been in the trenches a lot when the internationals have been away from Saints. He's an absolute stalwart, he grafts, he leads during the week doing his own thing. He's very professional.

"He gets his reward in big games playing like he does. He's a warrior in there for us and we rely a lot on him for energy and physicality. He's very good at the breakdown, a big heavy man, and much heavier than you'd think for his agility and his work rate. He goes really well in our pack."

Northampton are currently top of the Aviva Premiership table.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:17 am

So he's elbowed his way into contention?

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:33 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Yeah its a curious one.

But i cant really comment as i havent seen him much for Saints. Has he been playing well?

He's very much Lancasters type of back rowers....they're all near enough identikit players....Wood, Robshaw, Johnson, Clark...good alrounders roughly 6'4, 17.5 stone...

Playing a Left and right flanker rather than a traditional 6 & 7

The old triple crown of Clarke 6'5 115kg, Rodber 6'6 110kg and Richards 6'4 120kg (after 60 mins on the treadmill that is) comes back to life huh.

With a slimfast steve ojomoh on the bench to cover.... couldn't even get in the first team of his club but was always on the bench for England over Back. Amazing that.

What a backrow the bath 2nds must have had though... Ojomoh, Peters etc... behind Clarke, Robinson and Hall.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:50 am

Ah FA...that was a monstrous back row. Tim Rodber is one of my favorite England players of all time.
And i had the privelage of tackling him in a 7's game many years ago. Very Happy

As for Clark...thats high praise from Wood. It echos what many of the coaches have been saying for a long time now.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

LondonTiger wrote:Prodigal and Calum Wink

Done and done. Can I blame my phone...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 10:57 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Ah FA...that was a monstrous back row. Tim Rodber is one of my favorite England players of all time.
And i had the privelage of tackling him in a 7's game many years ago. Very Happy

As for Clark...thats high praise from Wood. It echos what many of the coaches have been saying for a long time now.

I assume you woke up about last week from the subsequent concussion.

Still remember Rodber's monster tackle on Charvis (he took a fair few though in his career) in 99. Shamefully penalised and caused the lineout in the last min which resulted in Gibbs finest hour.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:01 am

The bit about bad luck with suspensions is funny though! Yes they just happened to appear out of no where...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:05 am

Ah he was a big boy thats for sure. The last serving member of the forces to represent England...maybe until Roko plays in the AI's.

And Dean is now our coach. (The Falcons)

Ben Clark was a good player also...though also part of the doomed Richmond project.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

Ben Clark was a very good player, sadly he was tempted by the big bucks at Richmond (when they weren't even in the top flight). Mind you I think the backrow of him, Rodber and Deano was probably Englands best ever, better than the WC winning one.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:10 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:...The last serving member of the forces to represent England...

Was Lewsey not serving when he won some of his caps?

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:11 am

yappysnap wrote:The bit about bad luck with suspensions is funny though! Yes they just happened to appear out of no where...

No sense of irony at all was there!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:12 am

I think its Englands biggest ever backrow aswell Bathman. Add in a young MJ and Mr Bayfield and its a genuinely massive back 5!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 22 Oct 2014, 11:12 am

Rugbyfan,

Not sure actually....maybe he did. I had forgot about him actually.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 22 Oct 2014, 1:05 pm

On topic, Clark is a favourite of Lancaster. He coached him up at Leeds and has always seemed to give him a chance when 'we' thought others were more deserving. If he is playing well (I've not really seen that many Saints games, but I would hardly trust a team mate's comments, rarely do you get a "he's ok, nothing great but solid") then he does fit the role Lancasters sees for his flankers.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:17 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Rugbyfan,

I think Lewsey handed back his commission when he started playing professionally (didn't feel he could justify it given he'd never be there) but was always proud to be associated with the military.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Wed 22 Oct 2014, 4:24 pm

Poorfour wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:Rugbyfan,

I think Lewsey handed back his commission when he started playing professionally (didn't feel he could justify it given he'd never be there) but was always proud to be associated with the military.

He had a pretty roy of the rovers career.

I think he was capped near fresh out of uni on the tour of hell in 98. Then joined the army, went back to rugby when he parachuted into the 2003 RWC team, the lions, the RWC07, almost climbed Everest, became a derivatives trader in the city (standard ex pro job) and now is head of rugby at the WRU.

That's as awesome a career as you could ever dream of to be honest. A real box ticker of accomplishments. Well bar become head of rugby in some tinpot banana republic.... Wink

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 22 Oct 2014, 7:13 pm

HammerofThunor wrote:On topic, Clark is a favourite of Lancaster. He coached him up at Leeds and has always seemed to give him a chance when 'we' thought others were more deserving.  If he is playing well (I've not really seen that many Saints games, but I would hardly trust a team mate's comments, rarely do you get a "he's ok, nothing great but solid") then he does fit the role Lancasters sees for his flankers.

Yea, I just find it odd that he can show what amounts to pretty blatant favouritism towards one player and not damager the psychology of the squad. Can't think of any other player bar perhaps Morgan who's been suck a pet project of his even when perhaps he hasn't justified it.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down