The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harlequins Sign Tim Swiel from SA

+9
Welly
ChequeredJersey
doctor_grey
Sam
Poorfour
Bathite
HammerofThunor
The Saint
yappysnap
13 posters

Go down

Harlequins Sign Tim Swiel from SA Empty Harlequins Sign Tim Swiel from SA

Post by yappysnap Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:06 am

BBC Story:

Harlequins sign Tim Swiel to cover injured Ben Botica

Harlequins have signed South African fly-half Tim Swiel on loan from Sharks until February.
The 21-year-old will act as cover for the injured Ben Botica, who has been ruled out until the new year following shoulder surgery.
Swiel is England qualified, having been born in Taunton.
"Tim is a player with real X-factor who we are sure will fit within how we play and we look forward to welcoming him," said Quins boss Conor O'Shea.
"While we are very disappointed to lose Ben Botica to injury, I am delighted to be able to bring in someone of Tim's ability from The Sharks at such short notice."
Swiel, who will compete with Nick Evans for the number 10 shirt at the Stoop, has represented South Africa at school level, but ruled himself out of Under-20s selection in order to keep his international options open.
"I am looking forward to joining Harlequins during the Sharks' off-season," said the former Western Province half-back.
"Due to injury, I did not get a lot of game time during this year's Currie Cup and my coaches at the Sharks and I agree that regular game time during this off-season will enhance my preparation and will provide the necessary momentum needed for Super Rugby 2015."

Never heard of him, could any of our South African posters give any information on him? I guess he has to be pretty good to have been in the age grades at least.

It's interesting that he's not wanted to close off his Int prospects either, perhaps he's viewing a more long term move if this goes well?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Harlequins Sign Tim Swiel from SA Empty Re: Harlequins Sign Tim Swiel from SA

Post by The Saint Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:08 am

Biltong won't like this.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:11 am

Smile

I was just thinking the same thing

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:31 am

He's coming on a short term loan until the start of the next Super Rugby season. I imagine Biltong would have already been annoyed that he refused to play for the U20 rather than going on a loan. In fact I imagine he would probably want rid of someone not willing to commit to the Boks.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:54 am

Why on earth haven't Bath done something similar for this back row crisis? On the weekend, against the 190 french caps of Toulouse's back row (with Nyanga on their bench), we had an 8 playing at 7, a lock at 6 and an academy lock at 8!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Wed 29 Oct 2014, 11:57 am

There are quite a few rules in place for injury replacements. I'm not sure how long your guys are out for but they can't play for a certain period if replaced. I think it's something like three months.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Wed 29 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Bathite wrote:Why on earth haven't Bath done something similar for this back row crisis? On the weekend, against the 190 french caps of Toulouse's back row (with Nyanga on their bench), we had an 8 playing at 7, a lock at 6 and an academy lock at 8!

Stuart Lancaster had a word with the Bath coaches and told them not to bother with Armitage because playing backrowers out of position is the way to go.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Wed 29 Oct 2014, 4:01 pm

See how it works out for him, hopefully he may be offered a longer term deal if it works out well. Fingers crossed! Evans isn't getting any younger...

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 29 Oct 2014, 5:40 pm

Poorfour wrote:
Bathite wrote:Why on earth haven't Bath done something similar for this back row crisis? On the weekend, against the 190 french caps of Toulouse's back row (with Nyanga on their bench), we had an 8 playing at 7, a lock at 6 and an academy lock at 8!

Stuart Lancaster had a word with the Bath coaches and told them not to bother with Armitage because playing backrowers out of position is the way to go.
Stewie will be playing his back rowers at fullback or on the wing?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 29 Oct 2014, 6:48 pm

locks at full back, backrowers at 13, you should know this by now Dr G

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 29 Oct 2014, 6:55 pm

doctor_grey wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

Stewie will be playing his back rowers at fullback or on the wing?  

Guys stop taking the mick.

Lancaster might play fullbacks at flanker (Brown could probably actually manage...) but play someone else at FB and lose the chance to have another FB on the pitch? Ridiculous.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Wed 29 Oct 2014, 6:58 pm

Going back to SA after so I guess Wuins will be hoping it is more of a long term investment.

Didn't Swiel reject a chance to play in the SA U20's so he can keep his options open for international rugby?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Thu 30 Oct 2014, 10:59 am

Welly wrote:Going back to SA after so I guess Wuins will be hoping it is more of a long term investment.

Didn't Swiel reject a chance to play in the SA U20's so he can keep his options open for international rugby?
Fingers crossed it works out well for us!

He did I believe.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Thu 30 Oct 2014, 11:19 am

Yea he did, he was born in England so I think is automatically EQ and that's on his mind, or he's hoping Scotland will find a tenuous link and he can go straight into their starting team...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by FerN Thu 30 Oct 2014, 1:12 pm

I don't know him, but if he turned down the U20, he was chosen above Pollard who played 2 U20's I believe. The last one he got Player of the tournament and is now or 10. So he must be good if he was first choice to Pollard.

FerN

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu 30 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

He might have been behind Pollard but selected to start in front of him or one game, or even refused a bench spot. If anything, Pollard being ahead of him may have made he wonder about his international chances in South Africa. Or maybe being selected made him really think about where his loyalties are. Who knows?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Thu 30 Oct 2014, 3:19 pm

Swiel turned down a chance to play in the U20 boks yes.

He's a good player but we released him at WP as we had better although he's done ok at the sharks. I don't think he has test bok class mind.

The queue is quite long

When you see the ages of the following bok pivots

Pollard (20)
Lambie (24)
Goosen (22)

and a guy as talented as Demetri Catrakilis (25) can't even get a look in in the squad... it shows how tough it will be to break into the 10 position for the next 10 years.

The 3 listed players are the real deal. All would have been first choice starters from 2001-2009. We were crying out for talent at 10 for years and now 3 have come along at the same time.

I think its a natural progression for Swiel anyhow to return to England. I would say though that the English 10s are pretty handy themselves. I don't think he can be the physical force of Farrell and Ford looks a far better 10 to me.

Farrell (23)
Ford (21)
Burns (24)
and doesn't Burns have a younger brother who won the JRWC also?

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 31 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

I always though Catrakilis looked like a good player. Mind you, I thought Peter Grant should have got a run instead of Morne Steyn too, WP FH's aren't needed clearly!

England have plenty of young FH's too, Slade should also be on that list, he will play for England before Burns does again I reckon. If I was Swiel I would stay in SA long term, it only needs a new coach to refuse to select foreign players and he might get a chance (assuming that more players will leave post WC).

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 31 Oct 2014, 11:58 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I always though Catrakilis looked like a good player. Mind you, I thought Peter Grant should have got a run instead of Morne Steyn too, WP FH's aren't needed clearly!

England have plenty of young FH's too, Slade should also be on that list, he will play for England before Burns does again I reckon. If I was Swiel I would stay in SA long term, it only needs a new coach to refuse to select foreign players and he might get a chance (assuming that more players will leave post WC).

Peter Grant was the best kicker in SR for 3 years. But his range is a little poor. Morne is the best when you consider the kicks he takes beyond Grant's range.

I think Swiel's chance of getting a bok cap are next to none if I'm being honest. Not good enough, not big enough.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 31 Oct 2014, 12:13 pm

True, but fatty Francois could have played and taken the longer range kicks. Either way, if he was from another country, Grant would have certainly got caps. Same with someone like Kockott, no way would he remain uncapped if he wasn't from SA.

Sounds like Swiels best chance of international rugby is to find a Scottish or Italian grandparent from somewhere...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Fri 31 Oct 2014, 12:14 pm

Bathman_in_London wrote:True, but fatty Francois could have played and taken the longer range kicks. Either way, if he was from another country, Grant would have certainly got caps. Same with someone like Kockott, no way would he remain uncapped if he wasn't from SA.

Sounds like Swiels best chance of international rugby is to find a Scottish or Italian grandparent from somewhere...

Kockott would have been capped by SA by now if he stayed in all probability. He was overlooked for a few years and then left.... just as 9s became threadbare.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Fri 31 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm

I am very surprised over this signing, I don't rate him very highly.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 31 Oct 2014, 2:15 pm

raspberry

Sour grapes Biltong???

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam Fri 31 Oct 2014, 2:51 pm

On the bench for Sunday's game, fingers crossed he gets some good game time.

Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down