The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook

+6
Boxtthis
Young_Towzer
TRUSSMAN66
Scottrf
HumanWindmill
Steffan
10 posters

Go down

Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook  Empty Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook

Post by Steffan Thu 26 May 2011, 9:33 am

World super-featherweight champion Ricky Burns will make the third defence of his WBO title against Englishman Nicky Cook on 16 July in Liverpool.

Former world champion Cook made a winning return after a two-year injury absence to beat Youssef Al Hamidi in six rounds last Saturday.

And Scot Burns is relishing the prospect of an all-British encounter.

"There's always something special in the air when England and Scotland clash," said the 28-year-old.

"This fight will be no different. I've not had a defence against a domestic opponent yet, so I am relishing this one."

Click to play
Interview - WBO super-featherweight champion Ricky Burns
Cook is a British, Commonwealth and European champion but until Saturday had not fought since losing his WBO super-featherweight title in 2009 to Puerto Rican Roman Martinez, who Burns beat in a thrilling fight last year to claim the title.

"I'm still hurting from that night [Martinez defeat]," said the 31-year-old Cook, who beat Scot Alex Arthur to claim the WBO super-featherweight belt in September 2008.

"The only way to heal the pain is to beat Ricky Burns.

"Burns has done well as champion, but believe me, I'm going in their all guns blazing to win back my old belt.

"I beat a Scotsman in Alex Arthur to win the title, and I'll beat another one to get it back."

Burns hopes to add the IBF belt to his WBO title with a fight against South African Mzonke Fana later this summer.

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook  Empty Re: Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook

Post by Steffan Thu 26 May 2011, 9:33 am

My money is on Burns to bust Cook up. Ricky has got way too much class for him thumbsup

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook  Empty Re: Ricky Burns to defend WBO title against Nicky Cook

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 9:36 am

Steffan wrote:My money is on Burns to bust Cook up. Ricky has got way too much class for him thumbsup

Your money would probably be on Robbie Burns to do it.

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May 2011, 9:37 am

Steffan wrote:My money is on Burns to bust Cook up. Ricky has got way too much class for him thumbsup
Could have guessed.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 May 2011, 9:38 am

HumanWindmill wrote:

Your money would probably be on Robbie Burns to do it.

Au contraire. Au contraire Windymill

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu 26 May 2011, 9:39 am

I believe you, Steffan.

This time.........

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:14 am

The WBO rankings stink don't they.....

When is this guy going to fight someone decent..

Three different Brits have owned this belt in the last two and a half years...

Thirty years ago you'd be lucky if you had three Brits as world champions period..

If I was bbb of c Chairman I'd outlaw the WBO and make you guys actually achieve something to gain world status..

joke..

Let me guess the Butler is next after the Cook.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 May 2011, 11:19 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The WBO rankings stink don't they.....

When is this guy going to fight someone decent..

Three different Brits have owned this belt in the last two and a half years...

Thirty years ago you'd be lucky if you had three Brits as world champions period..

If I was bbb of c Chairman I'd outlaw the WBO and make you guys actually achieve something to gain world status..

joke..

Let me guess the Butler is next after the Cook.

So are you impling that Burns and Cleverly are not valid world chapions then Truss?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 26 May 2011, 11:20 am

*implying

*champions

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:29 am

You read between the lines well my friend..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 11:32 am

When is this guy going to fight someone decent.
He beat Martinez for the title in a war, Martinez would destroy Fana who is supposedly the best at SFW, your an idiot

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:34 am

you're an idiot.....sounds better

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 11:45 am

you're an idiot.....sounds better
It's a boxing forum not english literature forum. You said when's Burns gonna fight someone, he beat the best super featherweight in the world to take his title, you just sound stupid saying things like that when you look at the Martinez fight

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 11:51 am

I'm not interested in you....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 26 May 2011, 11:58 am

Steven_89 wrote:you're an idiot.....sounds better
It's a boxing forum not english literature forum. You said when's Burns gonna fight someone, he beat the best super featherweight in the world to take his title, you just sound stupid saying things like that when you look at the Martinez fight

But this is now his 3rd not-so-challenging fight in a row - cook is coming off a long lay off (before last week) and hasn't been in the picture for a while. Happy to give Burns one or at a push two easier fights after such a fine display against Martinez, but what happened to all the talk about tough fights and unifying the division?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 12:00 pm

Why it's called the WORLD_BRITISH_ORGANISATION... boxxy.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 12:33 pm

It's a boxing forum not english literature forum.

Suspect you mean English language, literature refers to written works such as novels and poetry whereas language refers to grammar and semantics so would seem more appropriate for your argument.

Pity it isn't a pedantry forum, i'd rock.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Thu 26 May 2011, 12:36 pm

I'd*

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 12:41 pm

Nice Scott, nice

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Thu 26 May 2011, 12:49 pm

Unfortunately Warren doesn't like to let go of a WBO belt when he gets his hands on one, so i would expect Ricky to go his own way if he wants unification fights, the fights been moved to Liverpool but if Glasgow had been rocking, he would have been milking the defenses there, Burns should make a move though because there is belts there he can pick up, and i don't expect Warren to be in a hurry to make these fights.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Thu 26 May 2011, 12:54 pm

I'm Scottish and a burns fan but Cook bar the ring rust could give him a hard nights work and will probably win on points

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 12:58 pm

Suspect you mean English language, literature refers to written works such as novels and poetry whereas language refers to grammar and semantics so would seem more appropriate for your argument.

for 38 you are immature, boooooooom

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Thu 26 May 2011, 1:00 pm

I do agree, you do get the impression the Burns team are coasting due to the fear that he'll get pasted as soon as he fights someone world class. Might as well milk it for the time being. I agree the Martinez win was impressive, but can't help thinking it was a career-best performance
Burns would box Fana's ears off, he wanted the fight with the overrated african but he is involved in a unification fight. Burns is now fighting Cook to keep busy, what is he expected to do lay about? he is world class, you don't take a genuine champ to school without being world class, not in my head anyway but i live in the real world.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 26 May 2011, 1:00 pm

Steven_89 wrote:Suspect you mean English language, literature refers to written works such as novels and poetry whereas language refers to grammar and semantics so would seem more appropriate for your argument.

for 38 you are immature, boooooooom

Can promise you mate you will have to me on here a long, long time to say anything more accurate than that.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 26 May 2011, 1:01 pm

who wants to grow up.......

I still get upset when I lose to my Son on his xbox...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu 26 May 2011, 1:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:who wants to grow up.......

I still get upset when I lose to my Son on his xbox...

Another 18 years of that on its way for you Trussy...sorry mate, couldn't resist.

----------------------------------------------------------
Anyway - going back to the subject at hand -

Cook an obvious option for Burns; and yes, Burns should start as favourite.

Even as a Celt - I find it hard to believe the hype re:Burns. I still don't rate him that highly. Good win over Martinez - but he's quite feather-fisted at a weight where most people have some dig. Furthermore - his skills are enough to "get by". Not all-time skills so it will only be so long before he gets found out, on law of averages.

To answer Trussy's point about world championship belts - I don't disagree at all. Its much easier to be a world champ now. Look at Shumenov - if Braehmer hadn't ducked him he'd have been a unified champion in something like his 10th fight, having picked up the IBF already. And there's Hoppo and Pascal and Dawson all at the weight. Now Clev as well. So who's the champ?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down